HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Leafs After Sunshine

Old
11-26-2011, 10:03 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Leafs After Sunshine

http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserie...fteas-stjarnor

It's in Swedish, but who cares?

Point is, we let Joacim Eriksson go. Now he's going to be someone else's goalie.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:12 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserie...fteas-stjarnor

It's in Swedish, but who cares?

Point is, we let Joacim Eriksson go. Now he's going to be someone else's goalie.
Did we assume he'd take up badminton instead?

Was simply a matter of time.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:57 AM
nuclear reactor

This is bound to rank up there with letting Scottie Upshall and Aaron Asham go. Crippling move for the franchise for decades to come.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:57 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:58 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
Crippling move for the franchise for decades to come.
Not crippling really. Just stupid.

Crippling if Bryzgalov sucks, Bobrovsky gets too expensive, and Hovinen doesn't pan out.

Old
11-26-2011, 10:59 AM
BringBackStevens

Watching Sunshine at the Flyers rookie camps, It was obvious that the kid had all the tools to be a really good NHL goalie. Granted, he's still somewhat of a long shot but it just really came off as a boneheaded move by Holmgren.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:03 AM
nuclear reactor

Quote:

Crippling if Bryzgalov sucks, Bobrovsky gets too expensive, and Hovinen doesn't pan out.
No it is utterly crippling. I think it is like the Pat Maroon situation. Take Pat Maroon's talent and translate it into goaltending. That's how good Eriksson is. This franchise will never be the same. What a bonehead move.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:06 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
No it is utterly crippling. I think it is like the Pat Maroon situation. Take Pat Maroon's talent and translate it into goaltending. That's how good Eriksson is. This franchise will never be the same. What a bonehead move.
No dude, haven't you heard? Goaltending is the most important position on the ice. It's imperative we spend tons and tons of money on the best FA goaltender to finally get us over the hump.

Also Klotz is a more important player in our system than Patrick Maroon. Come on now...

Trolls should stay trolls. That is all.

Old
11-26-2011, 11:21 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:

Not sure about everyone else, but your profile pic kinda looks like the KKK. Since Halloween is over, people may not get the D-men Pylon thing.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Psuhockey

The article is pretty stupid. The leafs are interested in in Eriksson. So are other NHL teams probably. Flyers could also be interested too. Everyone assumes that the Flyers gave Eriksson the big middle finger and told him to beat it, but nobody knows what was actually said between team and prospect. Maybe the Flyers told them that there wouldn't be a contract available last year but there will be one this year. The team does have 3 goalie contracts come up this year and only 3 goalies under contract next year. Maybe the told him that he needed a couple years in the Swedish league before they would want to bring him over so he could develop more and would give him a contract later. Eriksson by all accounts liked the Flyers organization and there is no evidence that any bridges were burned. The facts are that Flyers didn't give him a contract last year and every other team in the NHL didn't draft him last year either, making him a free agent. Until he is signed by another team, you shouldn't automatically think he will go somewhere else besides the Flyers.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:39 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Not sure about everyone else, but your profile pic kinda looks like the KKK. Since Halloween is over, people may not get the D-men Pylon thing.
I actually forgot about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
The article is pretty stupid. The leafs are interested in in Eriksson. So are other NHL teams probably. Flyers could also be interested too. Everyone assumes that the Flyers gave Eriksson the big middle finger and told him to beat it, but nobody knows what was actually said between team and prospect. Maybe the Flyers told them that there wouldn't be a contract available last year but there will be one this year. The team does have 3 goalie contracts come up this year and only 3 goalies under contract next year. Maybe the told him that he needed a couple years in the Swedish league before they would want to bring him over so he could develop more and would give him a contract later. Eriksson by all accounts liked the Flyers organization and there is no evidence that any bridges were burned. The facts are that Flyers didn't give him a contract last year and every other team in the NHL didn't draft him last year either, making him a free agent. Until he is signed by another team, you shouldn't automatically think he will go somewhere else besides the Flyers.

I don't know, but believing that the Flyers and Eriksson have some kind of agreement where he will sign with the Flyers later sounds like wishful thinking.

Old
11-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Maroon's talents have him over a ppg in the AHL right now, waiting for something to happen so Anaheim can give him a shot at the NHL. This would've made more sense if his career had gone to the gutter, but he's pretty much doing as much as he can right now.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Psuhockey

It probably is wishfull thinking but the Flyers do have to sign at least one goalie in the offseason to play with Niko in the AHL. I also think they will sign another for the future and that could be Eriksson. Bob is a rfa after next season. He might only be Flyers property for two years after that (will be 25 going into his next contract I think). Niko will have 1 full year in the AHL at the end of next year. He will be I think 25 also and will need a new contract (unless his slides this year since he is in Europe). I can't imagine he will be in the AHL for more that 2 years max anyway whether he pans out or not. Bottom line is the Flyers will have an opening as an AHL developmental starter in 1 to 2 years and possible as a NHL backup if Niko doesn't pan out. A drafted goalie could take 2-3 years before he even reaches the AHL. A makes sense to sign another young guy to bring over next year or more that likely the following year.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 02:20 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
who the **** is Sunshine?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 04:16 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Why couldn't Ilya Bryzgalov's nickname be sunshine?

I wish the Maple Leafs were after that hack...

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I honestly can't tell if you are serious or not

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

I want him back!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1039173

another thread about the rumor

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:07 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I honestly can't tell if you are serious or not
I'm 100% serious. Ilya Bryzgalov is currently and will forever be a waste of money.

Sergei Bobrovsky was and still is a promising young goalie and he was coming along just fine last year. But because he was pulled early in the first game and Boosh sucked big-time, we somehow needed to go out and bid against ourselves to pay Bryzgalov 5.667M, sign him until the end of time, and give him a full NMC. I've always been a Bob fan, and I think his play thus far in limited time this year only justifies that. He is going to be an excellent goalie.

Bryzgalov on the other hand appears to have severe confidence issues and appears to melt under pressure. That would be fine if he was 20, but he's not... he's a 30 y/o vet and we're paying him like he's top 5 in the game, and he's been anything but that thus far this year.

Maybe he'll put it all together eventually for us, but I'll stand by the fact that it was a terrible contract and that Bob should be our #1 goalie.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:29 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post

Bryzgalov on the other hand appears to have severe confidence issues and appears to melt under pressure.
Because Bobrovsky isn't the exact same way.....

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:52 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Couturier View Post
Because Bobrovsky isn't the exact same way.....
Bob is 23 years of age... it's his 2nd year in the league. That kind of thing is somewhat expected from him, but he's done a much better job managing it this year. People are still grasping @ what happened in the playoffs for evidence of his inconsistency / immaturity like he had some kind of melt down... he got pulled in the 1st game and never got his job back. He never had a chance to prove his resilience. PLUS, HE WAS A ROOKIE THEN. What rookie do you know @ Goalie that ever started for the cup favorites in the playoffs? Yeah... I can't think of any either.

Bryz is a 31 year old 10 year vet. It's 100% unacceptable for him to act the way he has and play the way he has. There is no excuse for it.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Maybe if our defenseman stopped scoring on bryz and started defending for him then he might stop some pucks

Old
11-27-2011, 11:04 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Oh, please. He's let in more than his share of softies. He has been terrible.

I'm not even counting the deflection goals, etc. He is letting in the easy ones that Boosh and Leights would've been crucified for and he is very rarely making that big save that keeps us in the game. He hasn't been good.

And tbh, i don't care about the defense. Yes they could improve and I think they will once fully healthy, but this isn't about the defense. It's about the fact that Bobs >>>> Bryz, and Bryz is letting in way more softies than Bobs (and he was brought in to stop the softies going in) yet we have Bryz signed forever on a gigantic cap hit.

I wish we could trade Bryz for a bag of pucks @ this point, if only to clear that cap space.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:53 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Bryzgalov became complacent after signing that big contract. He got his retirement deal he was looking for and now with No Movement and No Trade clauses, he can essentially give management the big middle finger salute. You'd figure the professional athlete in him would want to live up to the billing, but there has been no defending his play because he hasn't been very good.

As for Eriksson, it was a mistake the Flyers made by not signing the guy. The guy had one season in which he suffered through some adversity and now he's one of the best goaltenders in the SEL as a result. Coincidence? Not very likely. The guy has been a great goaltender throughout his entire career. Once again, the short sightedness of this franchise rears it's ugly head.

They got caught up in the hype of Niko Hovinen. He's only had one full season in which he's done anything signficant and while he's repeating his performance this year, I'll still stick with the player who had the larger body of work in which he's been consistently good. And honestly, Eriksson is tearing it up in the SEL this year. 13 Games Played, a .937 Save Percentage and a 1.67 Goals Against Average, yet Holmgren and company couldn't find a way to get this guy under contract.

And that's what irritates me about Flyers management. Every time Holmgren does something great, he follows it up by doing something incredibly stupid. For once, I wish the man would quit throwing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks and actually have some sort of plan in place with regards to building a team and keeping the pipeline stocked with good talent.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

wow...................

I can't wait until bryz puts up a couple of shut-outs in a row for you to eat your own words.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:15 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
wow...................

I can't wait until bryz puts up a couple of shut-outs in a row for you to eat your own words.
Well, he's had more than ample opportunity to step up big and he's failed to do so. Let's call it for what it is - he was paid the big bucks to come in and be the stopper. And he hasn't been the stopper. And regardless of how well the team in front of him has played, he's getting paid the big bucks to be the number one guy and he hasn't been the number one guy. Usually, most of the top guys hit their groove by now. Can't say that has been the case with Bryz.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote