HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers 5, Wild 2

Old
11-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Teubert with a quiet but solid night I hear
He had a good night.
The only thing I don't like that he's doing, and this is incredibly minor, is trying to bank shot the puck off the boards into the slot from the point.
I DO like that he isn't just blasting it off the shin pads in front of him though ala Foster, so it is a heads up play from him. Just noticed a few times he rang it around the boards.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
He had a good night.
The only thing I don't like that he's doing, and this is incredibly minor, is trying to bank shot the puck off the boards into the slot from the point.
I DO like that he isn't just blasting it off the shin pads in front of him though ala Foster, so it is a heads up play from him. Just noticed a few times he rang it around the boards.
I noticed this as well. In theory, he is attempting to make a really simple, effective play. He just needs to hone the craft a bit more to get more consistent success with that play.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:39 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Huh..what game did you watch. Caused 4 pp's single handedly, threw some big hits and challenged their muscle...when it was fair.
I didn't watch which is why I asked

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 02:19 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Horcoff still has more goals and points than Iginla.

Just sayin'.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 03:27 AM
OilerOlli*

The first game I watched complete in this season.
I think they had a good team game.
Nugent-Hopkins is just a great playmaker. At the 2-2 goal against he didn't look so good, but it would be unnormal if he wouldn't make a fault here and then in his 18 year old rookie season in the NHL.
Other than this it's just a joy to watch him. Like I said early last season, I will follow him and his career also when he doesn't get picked by the oilers, because he is just such s great hockey prospect, with plenty of talent and possibilities to even improve.
I said in his prime he will be a Top 10 scorer in the NHL.
People said it doesn't matter if we pick at 1 or 5, because they are nearly the same. In the draf tbefore it was importanter, because of Hall.
I saw it differently, and felt that it was even more important this year to win the lottery, because Nugent-Hopkins was a good length ahead of the rest. (Although I liked Larsson, too)
I think we will have a lot of fun with him in the next years.
Smyth and Eberle were then the most positive appearences.
I have to say I didn't expect that good start in the season from Smyth. he is still agile and doing the things we were liking him for. Typical Smyth goal I would say.
He cant go the tempo the whole game like he could 6 years ago, but if he can nearly keep it for the reast of the season it is a great year for a 36 year old.
Eberle is sitll not the fastest, but very intelligent and finesse player.
I thought already before the draft he would probably be a better fit for RNH than Hall. ( Thinking of Gretzky, Kurri and Messier *g*)
Hall had a solid game. The goal and the assist came mostly because of his will and aggrisseviness, but sometimes he is too much head into the wall. he has to learn to play more with his head. Vision is hard to teach, I guess. All in all a very good player. But I expect more from him in the coming months and years.
Horcoff had a good game, too. Very nice goal also.
The rest were more or less ok, but not very noticeable.
Smid/Gilbert was a solid D pair.
Petry had some good and some bad scenes. More good I guess, but it was a bit scary to me that he is still physically so weak. You could see what problems he has when he wants to win battles with his physicality. It seemed like a boy against men sometimes.
He has other strengths of course, but he need desperately to work at his physicality.
Whitney was mediocre, probably normal as it was his frst game after injurie.
Peckham and Teubert had some problems and were the weakest D's. They were able to manage it without big faults, but i think they will have a hard time to be regulars this season when the injured players come back.
I like Teubert more than Peckham, though. But when they work at their game both can become good 3rd pairing D's in the NHL.
Teubert perhaps a bit more like a Greene.
Khabibuin had some nice saves.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 03:36 AM
OilerOlli*

Minnesota was pretty ordinary, imo.
Don't really know why they are at top of the wc.
Incredible close season in the NHL this year. Nearly every team has playoff chances.
We have of course playof chances, too.
Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad timing, because Khabibulin, Horcoff and Smyth won't get better the next years and could be effective in the playoffs..
Although, as a draft fan, I want a good and early pick, too. *g*

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 03:45 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
Minnesota was pretty ordinary, imo.
Don't really know why they are at top of the wc.
Incredible close season in the NHL this year. Nearly every team has playoff chances.
We have of course playof chances, too.
Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad timing, because Khabibulin, Horcoff and Smyth won't get better the next years and could be effective in the playoffs..
Although, as a draft fan, I want a good and early pick, too. *g*
Same reason the Oilers were at the top of the WC.

Abnormal goal tending.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

This would probably be the worst Minny has played this season. Topline got mauled, terrible own zone coverage, and playing like a club that didn't even bother to scout us for this match.
Looks like the Wild didn't even wake up for this one.
I generally don't mind the Wild because at least they usually ice a dedicated team that doesn't take too many games off and plays a system but this was an abysmal effort for the homeside who definitely took us for granted.

I'm loving the W's but in recent games against Chicago, Nashville, now Minny we're seeing some deplorable NHL efforts. This won't be the case for too long.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

[QUOTE

I'm loving the W's but in recent games against Chicago, Nashville, now Minny we're seeing some deplorable NHL efforts. This won't be the case for too long.[/QUOTE]

No credit given to the winner? No team gives a 100 percent every game, there are lulls.

Oilersfanneedsdrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 09:19 AM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
A couple more stats: EDM is tied (SJ) for 4th on the PP. They are tied for 6th (VAN) on the PK. Wow...
Our top PP players RNH (2) Hall (31) Horc (38) Potter (51) Eberle (53)
Before yesterdays game Belanger and jones were 2nd and 3rd best PK forwards.
Even Smyth (2) Eberle (10) RNH (57) Hall (85)

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfanneedsdrink View Post

I'm loving the W's but in recent games against Chicago, Nashville, now Minny we're seeing some deplorable NHL efforts. This won't be the case for too long.

No credit given to the winner? No team gives a 100 percent every game, there are lulls.
In those 3 specific games its hard to give as much credit. These were really weak opposition performances.

For sure we're going to poise a threat with two hotlines and give some teams some fits but some of the goals we're scoring are a direct byproduct of teams not scouting us and teams not taking us seriously.

Any of those 3 teams should be embarassed at how easily Dallas disposed of us.

Play the Oilers hard all night and you win the game. Take a day off and you get exposed.

The recent results are as much about opponent preparation then anything.

Old
11-26-2011, 10:03 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
In those 3 specific games its hard to give as much credit. These were really weak opposition performances.

For sure we're going to poise a threat with two hotlines and give some teams some fits but some of the goals we're scoring are a direct byproduct of teams not scouting us and teams not taking us seriously.

Play the Oilers hard all night and you win the game. Take a day off and you get exposed.

And that is how every game is won...doesn't matter which two teams are on the ice. One team is better prepared - in the games you identified, the Oilers accomplished what you have deemed a negative for the other three teams.

So I would see it as the Oilers understanding their own strengths/weaknesses and dictating the game and tempo to allow them to win.

See, it isn't so hard to praise a win!

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Klaus*

Quote:

Our loss to Dallas is a a direct byproduct of the Oilers not scouting the Stars nor taking them seriously.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:32 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
If that Nugent-Hopkins kid keeps playing this way he might reach Matt Read levels of excellence.
whoa whoa whoa... lets not get ahead of ourselves... *Matt Read* levels? MATT READ?!?!

that's not even fair to RNH, it's like comparing him to 99

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
And that is how every game is won...doesn't matter which two teams are on the ice. One team is better prepared - in the games you identified, the Oilers accomplished what you have deemed a negative for the other three teams.

So I would see it as the Oilers understanding their own strengths/weaknesses and dictating the game and tempo to allow them to win.

See, it isn't so hard to praise a win!
For sure. But if you take the Chicago 9-2 result for instance we're playing against the same club that beat us the week prior. That shut us down and made us look like rented mules.
A week later we anihilate them. I wonder which performance is more truly representative of the Chicago Blackhawks and how they would play in a game that matters and for example the playoffs.

But yeah, its regular season and every 2pts counts and its all good. But this team is getting a lot of fortune right now through being taken lightly. Which we have due I guess on the basis of being 30th place incumbents.

Old
11-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4Dogs View Post
Our loss to Dallas is a a direct byproduct of the Oilers not scouting the Stars nor taking them seriously.
joking aside on the ice it looked like not being able to match the physical style of game the Stars were bringing. Gawd I thought Hemsky was going to break into pieces in that game..

I will say that the jekyll and hyde results we are seeing have at least as much to do with our opponents preparation as our own. We are not the kind of club (yet) that dictates terms on the ice. Rather we take whats granted us(albeit very well when freedom of open ice is granted)
This club is now looking lethal at times when other clubs just play run and gun with us. Yes, this is impressive and worthy in its own right. But when good clubs are prepared and intent on shutting us down they will still shut us down.

Old
11-26-2011, 11:34 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:

Learn to smell the roses.

You must be fun at parties.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Learn to smell the roses.

You must be fun at parties.
For the most part I have just sat back and enjoyed the Wins. Like I said in the last post its amazing how this offense gets up and running when teams afford us open ice.
Been a long time since the Oil rock and roll'ed like that.

Just not getting ahead of things here.

But Yeah, I'm no fun at parties to be sure. Not my thing.

Old
11-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Asher

Quote:
joking aside on the ice it looked like not being able to match the physical style of game the Stars were bringing. Gawd I thought Hemsky was going to break into pieces in that game..

I will say that the jekyll and hyde results we are seeing have at least as much to do with our opponents preparation as our own. We are not the kind of club (yet) that dictates terms on the ice. Rather we take whats granted us(albeit very well when freedom of open ice is granted)
This club is now looking lethal at times when other clubs just play run and gun with us. Yes, this is impressive and worthy in its own right. But when good clubs are prepared and intent on shutting us down they will still shut us down.
These are the videos Hemsky needs to watch before every game:

That's how you protect yourself against players trying to bully you.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:44 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
For the most part I have just sat back and enjoyed the Wins. Like I said in the last post its amazing how this offense gets up and running when teams afford us open ice.
Been a long time since the Oil rock and roll'ed like that.

Just not getting ahead of things here.

But Yeah, I'm no fun at parties to be sure. Not my thing.

Want to shut the Oilers down? Be physical, finish your checks, get in their faces, limit their time and space.

That is the book on us. Teams that do it effectively like Dallas did, or Phoenix before them will have success. Those that dont, wont.

Doesnt mean we cant relish the wins that we do get and recognize the good performances and strong effort of our players.

For example I thought last game was Sammy's best effort all year. He wasnt afraid to get his nose dirty and his quasi goalie interference directly resulted in a goal. I wish he would bring that effort and determination every night.

Taylor Hall had a very strong game. Ryan Smyth is on FIRE! As is Eberle.

There are plenty of reasons to feel good about our team atm.

Better take advantage of it while it lasts.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Want to shut the Oilers down? Be physical, finish your checks, get in their faces, limit their time and space.

That is the book on us. Teams that do it effectively like Dallas did, or Phoenix before them will have success. Those that dont, wont.

Doesnt mean we cant relish the wins that we do get and recognize the good performances and strong effort of our players.

For example I thought last game was Sammy's best effort all year. He wasnt afraid to get his nose dirty and his quasi goalie interference directly resulted in a goal. I wish he would bring that effort and determination every night.

Agreed.

I'll make one exception though. Gagner has been playing better but his hands right now are absent around the net.

He looked like Cogliano blindly batting away there for the goal. Good determination but at no point did he think about trying to control the puck, deke, and try to pot a goal. In effect he gets the assist for failing to score on the play. Its the same thing I'd be all over Omark for that he entirely lacks goal scoring confidence.

I Have no problems calling Gagner out on this right now. He is playing as if he thinks he is incapable of scoring a goal. Do that for awhile and it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.

I still think he'll turn the corner but its frustrating watching it.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-26-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old
11-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
These are the videos Hemsky needs to watch before every game:

That's how you protect yourself against players trying to bully you.
Yep, been saying this for a longtime and in my "Hemsky the linebacker" thread from years back. Guy has no clue what to do. I often watch him size up a situation, know that he's going to get clobbered, and enter into it anyway without adequately protecting himself.

Its like watching a Stegasaurus without armor getting mauled by a Tyrannasaur.

Get an elbow, stick up or prepare for the check and guys will be less likely to consider you as thier patsy.

Regehr just loved Hemsky. For all the wrong reasons. Perfect patsy everytime.

Old
11-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Asher

Quote:
Yep, been saying this for a longtime and in my "Hemsky the linebacker" thread from years back. Guy has no clue what to do. I often watch him size up a situation, know that he's going to get clobbered, and enter into it anyway without adequately protecting himself.

Its like watching a Stegasaurus without armor getting mauled by a Tyrannasaur.

Get an elbow, stick up or prepare for the check and guys will be less likely to consider you as thier patsy.

Regehr just loved Hemsky. For all the wrong reasons. Perfect patsy everytime.
I just watched those two clips again and 2 things came to mind.

1. Hemsky would have let Kunitz run him over and would have got injured on the play.

2. I'm more proud for Nuge running over Morrow than I am for him getting that hat-trick. Honestly, I am. The kid gets how smaller players like him need to play to protect themselves out there.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I just watched those two clips again and 2 things came to mind.

1. Hemsky would have let Kunitz run him over and would have got injured on the play.

2. I'm more proud for Nuge running over Morrow than I am for him getting that hat-trick. Honestly, I am. The kid gets how smaller players like him need to play to protect themselves out there.
Yeah I defended Smyth for taking that penalty. You gotta. More important to stay healthy and contribute. So what that he got tossed for one game(shouldn't have been)

So impressed with RNH in so many ways. Really has his head on a swivel and eyes in the back of it. Aware of everything going on the ice. This was something evident in his junior days. That he's carried it forward so seamlessly belies that he was just playing with junior opposition for the most part.

This just being the next level to exploit.

Pinball wizard or chess grandmaster.

Old
11-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

Maybe I'm being completely homer here, but I think the Wild tried to do that to us yesterday. I think the Oil did a fantastic job of sticking up for themselves and others, we didn't let the other team grind us down and we gave as good as we got in the physical dept.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote