HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Matt Carle Appreciation Thread

Old
11-21-2011, 10:18 PM
DenverBoone

vCash: 500
Carle played well tonight. Logged most ice time among defenders and was a plus one in the loss. I was happy to see it.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:49 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Carle played well tonight. Logged most ice time among defenders and was a plus one in the loss. I was happy to see it.
Grasping @ straws.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
He did have a good game tonight, actually.

11-22-2011, 01:15 AM
BillDineen

I appreciate that there are 222 days until Carle is a free agent and gone! Mods, can we have a countdown clock built into the site? Thank you.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:59 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I appreciate that there are 222 days until Carle is a free agent and gone! Mods, can we have a countdown clock built into the site? Thank you.
You mean countdown to overpayment to keep him here?

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 06:06 PM
DenverBoone

Matty's played well the last couple of games. Props.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 06:52 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Matty's played well the last couple of games. Props.
yeah I love blind offensive zone passes while on the PK too

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:24 PM
phillyfanatic

I totally appreciate Matt Carle. Careful what you wish for negative folks, you will get it.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I totally appreciate Matt Carle. Careful what you wish for negative folks, you will get it.
What, like a defenseman who isn't near the top of the league in giveaways, is reliable defensively, and can actually get a real shot on net from the blue line?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 09:49 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
What, like a defenseman who isn't near the top of the league in giveaways, is reliable defensively, and can actually get a real shot on net from the blue line?
I agree that Carle has no shot from the point to speak of, but I think he gets an unfair rap on other counts, especially the turnovers. Yeah, he commits his share. But check out some of the d-men who gave the puck away more than Carle last year:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

Luke Schenn, Duncan Keith, Brent Burns, John Carlson, Brent Seabrook, Zdeno Chara, Victor Hedmen... some names on there that I'm sure most Flyers fans would love to have on the team. The reality is, when you log big minutes and your role on the team calls for you to handle the puck a lot, you are probably going to commit your fair share of turnovers.

Defensively, I think Carle is reliable. Not great, but far from awful. His positioning could be better but at the same time his skating allows him to make some plays that say, Pronger, will never make. And he rarely gets beat one on one.

Is he a likely Norris candidate? No. But the other poster is right, be careful what you wish for. Carle does a good job of generating offense without being a defensive liability (Mike Green). It would not be easy to replace him.

JackStraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:00 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
You mean countdown to overpayment to keep him here?
doubt it

havent heard any rumblings about Homer talking extension with him

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I agree that Carle has no shot from the point to speak of, but I think he gets an unfair rap on other counts, especially the turnovers. Yeah, he commits his share. But check out some of the d-men who gave the puck away more than Carle last year:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

Luke Schenn, Duncan Keith, Brent Burns, John Carlson, Brent Seabrook, Zdeno Chara, Victor Hedmen... some names on there that I'm sure most Flyers fans would love to have on the team. The reality is, when you log big minutes and your role on the team calls for you to handle the puck a lot, you are probably going to commit your fair share of turnovers.

Defensively, I think Carle is reliable. Not great, but far from awful. His positioning could be better but at the same time his skating allows him to make some plays that say, Pronger, will never make. And he rarely gets beat one on one.

Is he a likely Norris candidate? No. But the other poster is right, be careful what you wish for. Carle does a good job of generating offense without being a defensive liability (Mike Green). It would not be easy to replace him.
cant tell if serious ??? its not just the turnover numbers, its the type of turnovers he always seems to yield.

which are usualy primo scoring chances against

Carle is awful nuff said

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:21 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

one turnover already

Old
11-26-2011, 01:52 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
one turnover already
There is a turnover thread for that you know?

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The flyers are awfully stingy when it comes to stats too. So Carles turnovers really are turnovers.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 04:13 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
cant tell if serious ??? its not just the turnover numbers, its the type of turnovers he always seems to yield.

which are usualy primo scoring chances against

Carle is awful nuff said
Completely serious, he is far from awful. The guy led all NHL defensemen in even strength scoring last year. Tied for the team lead in +/-. Apparently whatever he's doing is helping the team, which is what he gets paid for.

Old
11-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

You clearly don't watch him, but just look at stats.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 04:45 PM
PointL00kout

Thanks Matt Carle. I appreciate your constant turnovers!

PointL00kout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 06:17 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
You clearly don't watch him, but just look at stats.
If that was meant for me, I've seen just about every game he's played for the Flyers. But hey, I completely understand the mob mentality, it's fun to have someone to hate on.

Old
11-26-2011, 07:13 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Completely serious, he is far from awful. The guy led all NHL defensemen in even strength scoring last year. Tied for the team lead in +/-. Apparently whatever he's doing is helping the team, which is what he gets paid for.
oh, a stats man

Old
11-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Totally Radivojevic

I particularly liked his turnover today where he tried to walk it out in front of his own net right next to 9 Rangers.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 08:06 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
oh, a stats man
I use the stats to support my argument that he does what he gets paid to do, which is to generate offense from the blue line. If you'd prefer something more subjective... he's arguably the team's best skating defenseman- not as fast as Coburn but maybe more mobile. Has far better offensive skill and awareness than Coburn, is a good passer (but lousy shooter), effectively jumps up in the offensive zone, and is pretty solid defensively. Rarely gets beat one on one and uses his skating pretty well to cover in the defensive zone. As I said, not a Norris candidate but an upgrade will cost significantly more, unless the team grooms a young replacement- something which in their history they have not been very good at.

Old
11-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Broad st phantom

Quote:
I use the stats to support my argument that he does what he gets paid to do, which is to generate offense from the blue line. If you'd prefer something more subjective... he's arguably the team's best skating defenseman- not as fast as Coburn but maybe more mobile. Has far better offensive skill and awareness than Coburn, is a good passer (but lousy shooter), effectively jumps up in the offensive zone, and is pretty solid defensively. Rarely gets beat one on one and uses his skating pretty well to cover in the defensive zone. As I said, not a Norris candidate but an upgrade will cost significantly more, unless the team grooms a young replacement- something which in their history they have not been very good at.
You have watched him this season and say this? IMO he's the one player on a regular basis I shake my head at game in and game out who's names aren't Lilja or Shelly. Bad position and turnovers have been a lot more noticeable, than any good play he has offered, so far he has been horrible.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:31 PM
PointL00kout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad st phantom View Post
You have watched him this season and say this? IMO he's the one player on a regular basis I shake my head at game in and game out who's names aren't Lilja or Shelly. Bad position and turnovers have been a lot more noticeable, than any good play he has offered, so far he has been horrible.
Where is the appreciation?

PointL00kout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:23 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Carle is a very good all around Dman. Logs tons of icetime, moves the puck, plays special teams. The real pity is that if a stiff like Wizniewski can get $4.5M per year, Carle is worth more and we won't be able to afford him unless Briere or Kimmo leave.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote