HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2011, 06:14 PM
SnipeShow91

vCash: 500
Serge thinks 8 isint enough. With the lenght of the schedule and meaningful games, 8 is fine. What does he want...lifetime ban?

Old
11-21-2011, 06:36 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I don't know...I could be wrong but it sounds like that article is just talking about the outcome of the first appeal, but it is written in a bit of a confusing manner. The first paragraph makes it sound like they are appealing again but I think they are just talking about the original appeal and the second paragraph talks about the outcome of that appeal. It's almost like they put two stories (that UdeM was appealing, and then the result) into one. Again, I could be completely misreading it though.

Old
11-21-2011, 06:39 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
Serge thinks 8 isint enough. With the lenght of the schedule and meaningful games, 8 is fine. What does he want...lifetime ban?
Exactly...6 regular season AUS games (out of 28) is the equivalent of missing 18 games in an NHL season.

Old
11-21-2011, 06:46 PM
timbitca

AD is pushing things further right now, not the team per se. Just to clarify things.

Now is the true 'appeal' process. The first revision of the suspension was a 'video review'.

Way it works in the AUS is that the chairperson hands out the minimum suspension, then if asked by the insititution (along with a 500$ cheque) will review the video to see if more is deserved. Then you can appeal that decision (and you guessed it, it'll cost you another nice little cheque).

As far as I'm concerned, the current suspension is more than enough, but I'm with AUS Fan, I don't buy into you guys saying it's Gaudet's fault for putting himself in that position. He made a drop pass to M-A Cote and next thing he remembers is being helped on the ice, he didn't have his head down but was looking to the side to see what would happen with the puck. He has 0 recollection of the hit and never saw Van Laren coming at all. He hasn't seen the video nor does he want to see it. For all he knows, we could have told him it was any other STU player who had hit him and he wouldn't know the difference.

Old
11-21-2011, 06:50 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Thanks for clearing that up....I honestly had no idea how the whole review/appeal process worked. Now the article makes much more sense.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:08 PM
AUS Fan

If the intent of the clip of Stevens on Lindros is to show that just because Pang said he hit him with his shoulder, Van Laren did the same...well it missed the mark.

If you look at most of Stevens hits, they all look like 'forearm shivers'. That may be because of the follow through. Van Laren did not hit Gaudet with his shoulder, he hit him with his forearm.

I don't have a horse in this race and am not taking sides. I would feel the same way regardless of the player or team involved in a similar situation.

Old
11-22-2011, 11:34 AM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
If the intent of the clip of Stevens on Lindros is to show that just because Pang said he hit him with his shoulder, Van Laren did the same...well it missed the mark.

If you look at most of Stevens hits, they all look like 'forearm shivers'. That may be because of the follow through. Van Laren did not hit Gaudet with his shoulder, he hit him with his forearm.

I don't have a horse in this race and am not taking sides. I would feel the same way regardless of the player or team involved in a similar situation.
stevens was a thug....he deliberately intended to injure his opponent and everybody raved about how he would put guys out....saw the clip on van laren and he looked like he took a pretty good run at the moncton player and appeared to lead with his elbow....certainly eight games in a 28-game schedule is pretty stiff and it seems to be the fair call...I remember a certain player from STU who put a guy from Acadia out for an entire season with a similiar hit to the head....took a charge and nailed him...and he might have gotten a 2-game suspension if that....thank God leagues are now clamping on this crap...

Old
11-22-2011, 11:55 AM
STUpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
Really good to see the Tommies being as competitive as they've been....How big is that Van Lauren anyway? Saw the hit on Gaudet and can't believe he got eight games for that...didn't think the subsequent slash was worth four games either....
Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
stevens was a thug....he deliberately intended to injure his opponent and everybody raved about how he would put guys out....saw the clip on van laren and he looked like he took a pretty good run at the moncton player and appeared to lead with his elbow....certainly eight games in a 28-game schedule is pretty stiff and it seems to be the fair call...I remember a certain player from STU who put a guy from Acadia out for an entire season with a similiar hit to the head....took a charge and nailed him...and he might have gotten a 2-game suspension if that....thank God leagues are now clamping on this crap...
Make up your mind.

Old
11-22-2011, 06:47 PM
VRedsRule

On an entirely different, more positive note, truly looking forward to a Battle of the Hill for the first time in a number of years. Ryan has done a great job restoring confidence and bravado in his players, and it should be a great battle.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:41 PM
STUTOMMIES

You Brendan Shanahan wannabes should read this and so should the AUS.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f..._a_suspension/

How do you determine that it was just an attempted body hit and not a hit that targeted the head?
“When we talk to people about this, players ask us what we can’t do and then the next equally as important question that they ask because there is body contact in the game and people love the physicality, they ask what can they do. We ask players, like every rule that’s been around for years, about not leaving their feet, like launching themselves prior to the hit. The fact of the matter is on most collisions the player’s feet will come off the ice after the collision, but when a player launches himself prior to the collision, that to us is targeting. Getting his forearm or elbow up high or his hand up high into a player’s face is deemed targeting. We tell players that, similar to the way Scott Stevens used to hit, even if there’s subsequent contact to the head, your safest best in delivering what we consider a clean, hard body check is to hit a guy hard through the center of his body, a full body check. We ask players to make a full body check, but not to avoid the body and take the head.

“Unfortunately, you attack the game bent over. Sometimes your head is leading the way and I felt that this was a close enough check that the Florida player (Matthias) deserved a phone call and a warning that he was close to the edge on this hit and I had that conversation with him and I had that conversation with his GM, that this was a hit that was probably a few inches away from being a suspension.”

Scott Stevens "the thug", right. Perhaps you should qualify that with an IMO. Van Laren didn't "run" at him either.

Old
11-22-2011, 09:13 PM
AUS Fan

Who cares what Shanahan said? If you look at the video, Gaudet is not bent over. His head is not leading the way. Van Laren did not hit similar to the way Scott Stevens used to hit. Van Laren hit him with his elbow/forearm.

This is not the NHL. These are student-athletes. I saw the Myers hit on Zubrus and it was not anyway near as bad as the Van Laren hit.

So, if Shanahan was close to pulling the trigger on that one....

Old
11-22-2011, 09:25 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I'm kind of curious as to what Ryan thinks of the lengthened suspension and subsequent appeal. He seemed more than OK with the original 4 games but I wonder how he feels about the recent events.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:33 AM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I'm kind of curious as to what Ryan thinks of the lengthened suspension and subsequent appeal. He seemed more than OK with the original 4 games but I wonder how he feels about the recent events.
Spoke to him briefly about it after the game Friday night. He was OK with it. Van Laren misses the remainder of the first half.

Old
11-23-2011, 05:03 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Who cares what Shanahan said? If you look at the video, Gaudet is not bent over. His head is not leading the way. Van Laren did not hit similar to the way Scott Stevens used to hit. Van Laren hit him with his elbow/forearm.

This is not the NHL. These are student-athletes. I saw the Myers hit on Zubrus and it was not anyway near as bad as the Van Laren hit.

So, if Shanahan was close to pulling the trigger on that one....
No snark in these comments, straight comments, no connotation.

Look at it again. I can't slow it down but was able to pause it in different places. Van Laren's arm is at his side a split second before the hit, he leads with the shoulder, Gaudet's head was leaning forward. Head contact was shoulder, not elbow, not forearm, not hand.

Old
11-23-2011, 11:24 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
No snark in these comments, straight comments, no connotation.

Look at it again. I can't slow it down but was able to pause it in different places. Van Laren's arm is at his side a split second before the hit, he leads with the shoulder, Gaudet's head was leaning forward. Head contact was shoulder, not elbow, not forearm, not hand.
that angle seems pretty far away tho and the play moves quick....cant really tell if it was a shoulder or forearm. The head targeting is the key tho

Old
11-23-2011, 01:46 PM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUpid View Post
Make up your mind.
yeah, you're right, STUpid......made the initial observation strictly on what I saw on the video....but you factor in the injuries suffered, and the potential intent to injury factor, and eight games doesn't seem all that unreasonable....it's the sign of the times. people are worried about head injuries as well they should be......three years ago, he gets 2 games....now he gets eight.....therein lies the confusion....

Old
11-26-2011, 04:46 AM
cookiecutter

oooooooow....so close. There is no doubt that UNB is a shooting machine and given time to do that, they will find a way to beat you. Our guys helped them out tonight. No doubt that the smell of victory turned from winning to not wanting to lose. Next Game will edge us that much closer to where we are going; getting better each shift, each period, each game! Go Tommies!

Old
11-26-2011, 10:09 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

And don't forget STU is still missing Eagles/Labonte.

Old
11-26-2011, 11:43 AM
AUS Fan

That's embarassing! You can't give up three shorties (I won't count the EN goal) against any team. No UNB spin that they are a championship team and that's what champions do, etc. How do you build off that performance?
I wasn't there so perhaps someone could fill in the blanks for me as to how it happened.

You just can't do that!!

How did Morehouse look?

Old
11-26-2011, 01:15 PM
FreddtFoyle

Coach Ryan said after the game that he knew that they were in trouble from the drop of the puck in the third period. Too much thinking in the second intermission that carried over to the opening power play, and they got way from their "penalty kill mentality" and what they practiced this week - stretch passes and the like.

STU was cautious on the power play and once Harty scored the shorty it was all UNB and the Tommies couldn't regain their focus.

Morehouse was Morehouse. He's a third liner, even if he has pro experience.

Old
11-26-2011, 01:22 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I'm sure Lavigne would have liked to have back the first two goals as well...on the first one it looked like he just lost track of Harty behind the net and I thought Carroll's goal was very stoppable.

Old
11-26-2011, 02:03 PM
STUTOMMIES

I know the pictures are small but you can plainly see photo 1 his arm is down, leading with shoulder, dead in front of Gaudet. Gaudet's head is leading his body, as one would expect.

hit1.jpg

Next photo is a split second after impact, his elbow is still below his neck or on his chest, the impact has already happened. Rear leg still on the ice front leg starting to raise to absorb impact.
hit2.jpg

hit3.jpg
Last photo Gaudet is going down, Van Laren is past him and his rear leg is still on the ice and his arm is still not raised. Gaudet's head is just about to hit the ice.

Old
11-26-2011, 02:33 PM
AUS Fan

van laren hit

After much thought, I've reconsidered.
Let's rewind, shall we?

1. Van Laren hits Gaudet and down he goes. Play continues in the STU end and Quesnel hunts him down and gives him a slash on the leg.
2. Whistle blows and Quesnel is given a Match penalty. Ref speaks to Van Laren and nods his head. Van Laren is given nothing for the hit.
3. UdeM bench goes nuts. Tabernacks and Chalices being flung all over the place.
4. Ref finally goes over to see what the fuss is about and Serge blasts him.
5. Referee:"But Serge, Van Laren didn't mean it, he said so, and besides Gaudet had his head down so it's his fault. And besides, that was just like a Scott Stevens hit that didn't ruin anyone's career."
6. Serge: "I guess you're right. Sorry for being upset and I'll tell my guys to quiet down"

And they all lived happily ever after.

Old
11-26-2011, 04:11 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
I know the pictures are small but you can plainly see photo 1 his arm is down, leading with shoulder, dead in front of Gaudet. Gaudet's head is leading his body, as one would expect.

Attachment 50275

Next photo is a split second after impact, his elbow is still below his neck or on his chest, the impact has already happened. Rear leg still on the ice front leg starting to raise to absorb impact.
Attachment 50277

Attachment 50273
Last photo Gaudet is going down, Van Laren is past him and his rear leg is still on the ice and his arm is still not raised. Gaudet's head is just about to hit the ice.
just let it go.....now we can fuss over the 4 shorties UNB got.

Old
11-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Rob

A little disappointed in the attendance. Thought for sure the place would be packed.
Hoepfully it is for their last game ever at the LBR in January.

Closed Thread