HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another notch higher on the Rennemeter

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2005, 10:07 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Another notch higher on the Rennemeter

This is from today's Post:

""To a man, our players have pride in what they've accomplished [and] don't want to embarrass themselves," said Tom Renney, who delivered a first-intermission tongue-lashing to his to his team (Weekes characterized it as "rearranging some noses") following an inept opening 20 minutes. "Not one of them wants to compromise any of the good we have going."

Good to see that he noticed the same things about the first period that most of us did. Sounds like he is not allowing the "the team is tired" excuse. I am warming up to Renney more and more. I still have some issues, chief amongst them being: 1) there simply HAS to be a better plan on the PP's, besides watching Jagr shoot 2) the team is still WAY too undisciplined...far to many penalties & FAR too many 5-on-3's and a few other things. HOWEVER, it is hard to ignore the good stuff that Renney has suprised me on.
He appears to be more of a discilpinarian than I had ever thought. He is not afraid to take his players to task. The PK has been extraoridinary. As I give him flak for the PP & penalties, so too must be recognized what the PK is accomplishing. The PK is a MAJOR, major reason for this team's success.
He seems to be a good teacher and he has his players playing for each other and the team, as opposed to playing for themselves.
As I said, I am still not 100% sold and still have some issues, but Renney has been much, much better than I had every thought and he does some things that I did not previously think him capable of. That, and he seems to have picked very good assistants, including a goalie coach (something that has been missing virtually ever since I can remember).

Old
11-23-2005, 10:08 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I liked the emotion he showed after the non called boarding on Grier.

11-23-2005, 10:14 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Well, he's light years better than Low, Trottier and Sather were.

With all due respect to Messier (AND I'm not blaming him), I think it's a lot easier the be the HEAD coach without him on the roster.

Old
11-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Larry Melnyk

Count me in as a Renney convert..I had serious doubts about Renney being able to pull this entire thing together and establish a system, team and attitude....Color me wrong on all counts....I love what the guy (and his assistant coaches) has done in terms of accountability, merit, discipline, work ethic, atmosphere and chemistry...His Rangers are finally a team you like watching and caring about once again...Doesn't mean I agree with all his moves and entire philosophy....Personally, I would have constructed a team with a little less finesse and more backbone, but HIS finessey team is doing much better then I could have ever imagined and there is still time to make changes as the season goes along...Great job by Renney so far...

Old
11-23-2005, 10:43 AM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Count me in as a Renney convert..I had serious doubts about Renney being able to pull this entire thing together and establish a system, team and attitude....Color me wrong on all counts....I love what the guy (and his assistant coaches) has done in terms of accountability, merit, discipline, work ethic, atmosphere and chemistry...His Rangers are finally a team you like watching and caring about once again...Doesn't mean I agree with all his moves and entire philosophy....Personally, I would have constructed a team with a little less finesse and more backbone, but HIS finessey team is doing much better then I could have ever imagined and there is still time to make changes as the season goes along...Great job by Renney so far...

agree with that.

Of course there will always be things that we all won't agree with, with any coach there are things they do that you don't agree with! It's just normal.

But, Renney is doing so much good things with this team. He and his coaches deserve a lot of credit.

I also like how he comes across in interviews. He's an intelligent guy who's also got a good sense of humour! He's doing the team proud right now on and off the bench.

Old
11-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Jackson Ranger

I also think Renney has done a great job with this team, especially laying the foundation early in the season with the benchings.

Also, after not knowing who the assistant coaches were before this season, I am seeing a lot of good things from these guys, like Pellino telling JD or Sam that they were already making adjustments to the power play in between the first and second period instead of waiting until after the game.

I think these guys are adding a lot to the mix that Renney brings with him.

Old
11-23-2005, 11:24 AM
eco's bones

TB--I think if Rucinsky can (and that's the operative word here) get back to where he was before he was injured it might take some of the goal scoring onus off of Jagr.

As far as Renney I like him a lot better too--but this is a much different team than we've had in the past with a lot young guys hungry to prove themselves instead of aging vets looking to pad their stats or cash in for their retirement. What that means is communication between coaching staff and player(s) on an individual or on a group basis. One other thing this team is not giving up late in a game if they're behind and they're believing they can come back.

As far as being too much finesse and not enough backbone--don't get me wrong I think hitting and fighting are integral parts of the game but it's hard for me to believe that a forward who's going to throw himself in front of slapshots all the time is all that worried about whether he's lined up against a Brashear or whether Brashear can pound the daylights out of him or not.

Old
11-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
As far as being too much finesse and not enough backbone--don't get me wrong I think hitting and fighting are integral parts of the game but it's hard for me to believe that a forward who's going to throw himself in front of slapshots all the time is all that worried about whether he's lined up against a Brashear or whether Brashear can pound the daylights out of him or not.
Now, I did say "Personally, I would have constructed a team with a little less finesse and more backbone", but I didn't say if I was right!

But seriously, although I said backbone, I truly meant more a more physical nature and presence...I can't argue that these Rangers have alot of guts and show little fear.....ANd it's a joy to watch....I just thought and still think, for the entire season, that a more physical forward (to perhaps use on the PP) and a physcial D-man (2-way would be nice) were needed....Maybe not....But we shall see..

Funny that you mention Brashear because I checked the Flyers baord the other day and that was alot a talk (from fans) of him being of little hlep and a waste of space in today's game...

Old
11-23-2005, 12:03 PM
eco's bones

Well to be honest Larry the team I would have constructed would have been very ferocious too at least hitting and fighting---this team has been ferocious in other ways and it seems to be working. It's hard to argue with the success so far.

Old
11-23-2005, 07:10 PM
DarthSather99

One thing i've noticed about this team is our ability to fight back quickly after falling behind.

Old
11-24-2005, 01:09 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
One thing i've noticed about this team is our ability to fight back quickly after falling behind.
C'mon Darth, the team is 14-7-3 and first in its division. There are ALWAYS areas a coach can improve, but complaining at this point is like saying your Ferrari gets bad gas mileage. Besides, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they fight back twice in their last game?

Old
11-24-2005, 10:17 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan
C'mon Darth, the team is 14-7-3 and first in its division. There are ALWAYS areas a coach can improve, but complaining at this point is like saying your Ferrari gets bad gas mileage. Besides, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they fight back twice in their last game?

Um, I AM giving them a compliment. Did you even read the post. Read it again carefully. I am COMMENDING them on scoring quickly after falling behind.

Old
11-24-2005, 10:22 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
Um, I AM giving them a compliment. Did you even read the post. Read it again carefully. I am COMMENDING them on scoring quickly after falling behind.
Oooooh. Embarrassing. My bad.

Great post, Darth!

Closed Thread