HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal out with a concussion (1/2: Cleared to Play)

Old
11-23-2011, 12:52 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Is it me or do injured players not travel with their teams? I can't remember it happening ever before in the many, many years of watching hockey. You don't fly hundreds of miles for a team dinner. They can do a team dinner in NYC or somewhere close to it in the DC-Philly-Boston triangle. I'm sure they would move a dinner to another location for one of their key team players.

He must be very, very close to returning, barring a setback.
I doubt it. Wolski and Rupp also made the trip and they're not exactly close to returning either.

11-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

1 week of bike riding light training down and no setbacks, and now a plane ride to florida...I'll take it, definitely a good sign. Baby steps, as long as they are steps forward. I still say March, if at all...better be safe than sorry.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:06 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I doubt it. Wolski and Rupp also made the trip and they're not exactly close to returning either.

I think he is traveling with the team to 1) test how he would tolerate it; 2) if the flight goes well, which they must expect because they don't just test things when it's 50-50 odds, then he'll practice with the team.

It makes a lot more sense to fly if the goal is to practice with the team, not to eat with your teammates.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:19 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I honestly don't really see the point of having Staal traveling with the team. Unless he's close to returning, which he's not, it doesn't make sense for him to travel along with the team. He needs to stay in NY and continue to rehab and get into game shape.

Hopefully however it's good news and he's moving closer to coming back.

11-23-2011, 01:22 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Yeah, but they're not coming off head injuries. Furthermore, while their returns aren't imminent, if I remember their original timelines correctly, they're both about 10 days to two weeks away - so it is about the right time for them to start traveling with the team.

For the first time in a loooooong time, I am encouraged that Marc may be back this year. In fact, this has me thinking we may - barring any setbacks - see him in Jan. Knock wood.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:52 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Might be to get some TV time on 24/7?

When does filming start?

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Levitate

Staal never had a problem traveling on the plane...all of his problems came from exerting himself extremely hard. It's great that he's traveling with the team but I would also bet he's been on airplanes and traveled around since this all started in training camp.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 07:48 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Crosby traveled with the team to Florida on their latest trip down there and didn't play.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 08:51 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Staal never had a problem traveling on the plane...all of his problems came from exerting himself extremely hard. It's great that he's traveling with the team but I would also bet he's been on airplanes and traveled around since this all started in training camp.
Right, but for specific purposes, like going to visit the doctor. Why in any scenario would it make sense for him to travel with the team if he weren't making progress? If he were stuck in the doldrums of an interminable rehab with no end date in sight, would Torts want him around the team - or the team around him? Would Dolan want him exposed to the press?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Crosby traveled with the team to Florida on their latest trip down there and didn't play.
Right - as it was reported that he was making good progress. And then he came back within six weeks.

Again, I'm not saying that I think this signals that Marc Staal is playing on Tuesday against the Pens or anything. I'm just saying that I think this is a hopeful sign and that my own wild-ass, finger in the wind guess is that we'll see him back in January (barring any unforeseen complications).

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:01 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Is it me or do injured players not travel with their teams? I can't remember it happening ever before in the many, many years of watching hockey. You don't fly hundreds of miles for a team dinner. They can do a team dinner in NYC or somewhere close to it in the DC-Philly-Boston triangle. I'm sure they would move a dinner to another location for one of their key team players.

He must be very, very close to returning, barring a setback.
Normally, the injured do not travel with the team as they are usually re-habbing the injury and time is better spent in that regards, however, it's not uncommon for those injured players to travel with the team surrounding a holiday so that the guys can be together and celebrate as a team.

in the early 90's the Rangers brought the injured with them when they played on the road during the Christmas/New Years games.

Sucks to be away from family, but if you had to be away from family, being with your teammates is a good 2nd option.

Truly a team bonding experience.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:04 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I honestly don't really see the point of having Staal traveling with the team. Unless he's close to returning, which he's not, it doesn't make sense for him to travel along with the team. He needs to stay in NY and continue to rehab and get into game shape.

Hopefully however it's good news and he's moving closer to coming back.
what they have Staal doing, he can do on the road.

If it's riding the bike, the Panthers, Capitals and Flyers will all make their facilities available to him.

If it's simple llight workout's, the team can pack the needed gear for that as well.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Staal can't ride the bike at the five star hotels in Miami or DC? They do have a gym in the hotel. Jim Ramsey will be there to monitor the work outs.

Wolski was scheduled to return in 4 weeks. 2 weeks left. . 4-6 weeks for Rupp. 2-4 left. They will be back sooner rather than later. They had surgery two weeks ago.

Staal has been in Buffalo,Ontario and Boston seeing doctors and getting treatment. How did he get there? Pony express? He could have taken the train to Boston but the other two spots require a plane unless Staal drove there.

Its Thanksgiving. The Rangers brass wants the team together. They will have a great Thanksgiving meal in DC. Staal gets a chance to be around his friends. He is a huge part of this team. The Rangers will be back in NY on Friday evening.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Camenzuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Staal can't ride the bike at the five star hotels in Miami or DC? They do have a gym in the hotel. Jim Ramsey will be there to monitor the work outs.

Wolski was scheduled to return in 4 weeks. 2 weeks left. . 4-6 weeks for Rupp. 2-4 left. They will be back sooner rather than later. They had surgery two weeks ago.

Staal has been in Buffalo,Ontario and Boston seeing doctors and getting treatment. How did he get there? Pony express? He could have taken the train to Boston but the other two spots require a plane unless Staal drove there.

Its Thanksgiving. The Rangers brass wants the team together. They will have a great Thanksgiving meal in DC. Staal gets a chance to be around his friends. He is a huge part of this team. The Rangers will be back in NY on Friday evening.
RangerBoy. I must admit one of my favorite things about this Rangers board is reading your posts. Always interesting and straight from the source. With that said, are you on twitter? I would definitely give you a follow and I`m sure others from here would do the same.

Camenzuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:16 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Yup..RangerBoy is the real deal..Always insightful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camenzuli View Post
RangerBoy. I must admit one of my favorite things about this Rangers board is reading your posts. Always interesting and straight from the source. With that said, are you on twitter? I would definitely give you a follow and I`m sure others from here would do the same.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Pizza

It's a good sign that they are letting him on an airplane. That's a good indicator that his symptoms are improving. I'm sure they understand the implications and are taking no chances. So good stuff. Hopefully he'll be back sooner than I expected.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:24 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Pony express

Glad Staal seems well enough to fly. Still don't see him returning before the New Year.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 06:03 PM
rangermaniac5

maybe hbo is filming.

rangermaniac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Good news. Maybe he's closer to returning. I hope so. We can't push it though, let him come back safe and 100%. He's not a Crosby though.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 07:34 PM
NYRKING30

my money is he plays jan 2nd barring any set back.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I think Rangers fans will get a Christmas present.

Old
11-24-2011, 12:30 AM
bluecollarblueshirt*

it was just good enough to see him at the game having some laughs with his team mate. Wish him the best of luck.

bluecollarblueshirt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Any updates? I hope he is coming back soon. I would hate for him to miss the Winter Classic, that is just an experience not everyone can get

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Any updates? I hope he is coming back soon. I would hate for him to miss the Winter Classic, that is just an experience not everyone can get

As soon as there is news, someone will post it here within 3 seconds. No need to ask these questions. It just excites others to think there is news, only to find that it's merely a question.

Old
11-26-2011, 07:35 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

^ so true.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 07:43 PM
bluecollarblueshirt*