HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Delusional players in my league

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2011, 11:35 AM
  #26
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
It wouldn't be a beer league team without having at least one player like that !!!

It would be great not to have players like that on the team, but then again it's a beer league/adult recreational; so basically everyone should be given a chance to play.

You guys could have a team meeting (obviously without the problematic player being present) and take a vote to see if he stays or leaves.

We have a guy on our team like this and once he suspected that he may not be asked back for the next season, he quickly changed his attitude.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:51 AM
  #27
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
And if your team doesn't have that player then maybe it's you!

I play in an over-40 league and we have inexperienced players who want to play in it because they think it is going to be easy but it isn't.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:12 PM
  #28
datsyukianLIKE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: kalamazoo michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
you could just tell everyone not to take it easy on him...sometimes it sucks being the ******* but sometimes its the only way people can see

datsyukianLIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:38 PM
  #29
nexusrage21
Registered User
 
nexusrage21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post
Yeah, I think this is a fairly common issue in life, let alone hockey.

For hockey though, I think that if someone is even remotely good at one thing, they think their whole game is on par with their one talent. Most common thing I see is guys who can dangle your jock off but can't pass, play D, or really do much else to save their life.

That's why I like the group of guys I play with. We all know exactly where we stand, and if someone starts getting an inflated head, the other guys are sure to bring him back down to earth
Definitely the truth here.

Definitely see a lot of this, probably guilty of some as well. Some of the guys on one of my teams seem to think that if the game is close they have to play the last five minutes straight. So we get into situations where we have three guys on rink who are barely moving while fresher and in some cases better players are rotting on the bench.

Same thing happens when he have a penalty or power play, these same players think they have to be out there the whole time.

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:56 PM
  #30
hattrick3518
Registered User
 
hattrick3518's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 200
I think it is a common theme, these people are everywhere, everyone at the rink knows who 'that guy' / 'those guys' is/are... Its pathetic really, but if they think that they are the next drop in Ovechkin or whatever then just have a chuckle and carry on. I've learned that its not worth it to get worked up over it, the only person they are hurting is themselves. It can be frustrating to play with them, but if the league director has half a brain and sees them skate they will have no problem placing them where they need to be.

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:06 AM
  #31
shoeshine boy
Registered User
 
shoeshine boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
how about the truly delusional players? the ones who claim to have played a high level of hockey but clearly didn't?
we have 2 like that in my league.
one, whom I played with last year claims that in his younger days he a) had a scholarship to a *name removed* D1 program but broke his leg so he couldn't play. b) played semi-pro in europe and c) tried out and made the roster for the Baltimore Skipjacks. never heard if he "played" for them.
total BS. when we had evaluations several captains rated him as "novice". it's fairly obvious that he's never been coached. if he had been then he wouldn't change waaaaayyyy behind the play when he's playing defense.
the other guy said he played high school and travel as a youth. he couldn't even stop his first season AND had no idea where to line up on a face off.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:22 PM
  #32
hattrick3518
Registered User
 
hattrick3518's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
how about the truly delusional players? the ones who claim to have played a high level of hockey but clearly didn't?
we have 2 like that in my league.
one, whom I played with last year claims that in his younger days he a) had a scholarship to a *name removed* D1 program but broke his leg so he couldn't play. b) played semi-pro in europe and c) tried out and made the roster for the Baltimore Skipjacks. never heard if he "played" for them.
total BS. when we had evaluations several captains rated him as "novice". it's fairly obvious that he's never been coached. if he had been then he wouldn't change waaaaayyyy behind the play when he's playing defense.
the other guy said he played high school and travel as a youth. he couldn't even stop his first season AND had no idea where to line up on a face off.
Haha so true, just today, I found out that this guy playing in the C league was in the NHL draft a couple years ago. I've seen this kid at numerous drop ins and he is nothing short of the biggest stereotypical ******, had me rolling laughing when I heard that. Maybe he was in the event hall watching the draft, but if your eligible then tell me why on earth your playing in a C level beer league? Gotta love some people, get over yourselves.

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:49 PM
  #33
macgyverthatshiz
Registered User
 
macgyverthatshiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick3518 View Post
Haha so true, just today, I found out that this guy playing in the C league was in the NHL draft a couple years ago

AHAHAHAHAHAHA:shakehea d

macgyverthatshiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:56 PM
  #34
macgyverthatshiz
Registered User
 
macgyverthatshiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Good to see everyone else deals with this

macgyverthatshiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:05 PM
  #35
CptKirk
[insert joke here]
 
CptKirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,310
vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick3518 View Post
Haha so true, just today, I found out that this guy playing in the C league was in the NHL draft a couple years ago. I've seen this kid at numerous drop ins and he is nothing short of the biggest stereotypical ******, had me rolling laughing when I heard that. Maybe he was in the event hall watching the draft, but if your eligible then tell me why on earth your playing in a C level beer league? Gotta love some people, get over yourselves.
Everyone's eligible, provided they're of age. Doesn't mean that you have a shot at being drafted.

He may have submitted his name somehow, thinking that that would get him scouted. Or something. But yeah, that does take delusion to a new level.

CptKirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 07:46 PM
  #36
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Sorry for the bump but I had my little delusional player moment and need to vent.

I go out there for a hard shift towards the end of our pick up game, wheel the puck into the zone, and lose an edge trying to stop and pass it off behind the net. Gassed, I wheel my way over to the bench. When I come to the bench some loser starts chirping me about being a bad player. Of course on the back of his helmet he's got ASHL stickers plastered all over... I'm sitting on the bench trying to catch my breath and he's all "yeah roll over and die you <expletives>".

Really? We're on the same team in a pick up game! It's not like he's all that good. He's probably on-par with me skating wise (more speed but less balance) but has the hockey sense of a three year old.

I guess he was upset because none of the scouts in the building were going to catch him dipsy-doodling behind the net to throw blind passes into the slot. Yeah, that'll get you to the show.


Argh... I love hockey but I hate the people that play sometimes. /rant

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:04 PM
  #37
Kulluminati
Registered User
 
Kulluminati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Sorry for the bump but I had my little delusional player moment and need to vent.

I go out there for a hard shift towards the end of our pick up game, wheel the puck into the zone, and lose an edge trying to stop and pass it off behind the net. Gassed, I wheel my way over to the bench. When I come to the bench some loser starts chirping me about being a bad player. Of course on the back of his helmet he's got ASHL stickers plastered all over... I'm sitting on the bench trying to catch my breath and he's all "yeah roll over and die you <expletives>".

Really? We're on the same team in a pick up game! It's not like he's all that good. He's probably on-par with me skating wise (more speed but less balance) but has the hockey sense of a three year old.

I guess he was upset because none of the scouts in the building were going to catch him dipsy-doodling behind the net to throw blind passes into the slot. Yeah, that'll get you to the show.


Argh... I love hockey but I hate the people that play sometimes. /rant
some people are just tools, what are you gonna do

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:07 PM
  #38
shawn1331
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post
That really annoys me when people think they're good because of that. Yes, it takes work to stand in front of the net (unless the D-man guarding you just lets you stand there, then it's fairly easy to do ), but to think you're good because of that? All that means is that others are better at moving the puck around than you and you're there to give your teammate a better chance at scoring off your screen or to pound home some garbage to help your team. Says nothing about offensive skill.

I should know, I play exactly the same game
aha oops, on my particular line right now I play center and I have this ridiculously fast left winger named jon. Basically I dig the puck out of the corner give him a stretch pass then support up the ice while he flies and if he can't get to the net he gives it to me around top of the circles and I either carry it in and try to make a play or fire it into the net. I don't think I'm a great player, in fact I'm alittle unconfident in my skill set because I've tried out for a few teams and made them that I really didn't think I would. I play high school hockey as well and most of the league is AAA while I'm house league and I was suprised to make that team I tell ya, lol.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:34 PM
  #39
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Don't know what the OP is talking about... i could play in the NHL if i wanted to.


"Yeah same, I don't even try in games, and I barely even skate at shinny"

I hate people who say this, get your head out of your ass!

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:20 PM
  #40
Stealthmode16
Registered User
 
Stealthmode16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kodiak, AK
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
Hockey players with ego issues?? Now I've seen it all

Stealthmode16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:37 PM
  #41
r3cc0s
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 395
vCash: 500
I run into situations more where idiots think there are fricken scounts at our C league games lol

take things serious to the level of dirty play in the low spots... slew footing, dirty stick work to the back of the shins, and even butt ending that just isn't seen by the ref.

Now with those who think they are "better" than they are... and if they are looking like bambi on ice, yet think they are skating like Bure, simply get someone's spouce to pull out that old digi cam and capture a few "golden" moments when the guys on the ice bouncing around like a 5 year old learning to skate.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:00 AM
  #42
tawheed
Registered User
 
tawheed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthmode16 View Post
Hockey players with ego issues?? Now I've seen it all
This! I've only been playing for a few years but the egos are a bit out of hand. There's a few guys on every team I've played on that think they are NHL material and it's annoying.. It's div five hockey for heaven's sakes, you don't have to drill someone into the boards to send a message etc etc etc.. I could go on forever but it's actually a pretty annoying trait. A friend of mine invited me to play on a coed team as a second team and since most of the people there are new(er) to the sport they're so much more apt to wanting to learn and there's way more of a TEAM sense.

tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:00 AM
  #43
Pog Form
Registered User
 
Pog Form's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Sorry for the bump but I had my little delusional player moment and need to vent.

I go out there for a hard shift towards the end of our pick up game, wheel the puck into the zone, and lose an edge trying to stop and pass it off behind the net. Gassed, I wheel my way over to the bench. When I come to the bench some loser starts chirping me about being a bad player. Of course on the back of his helmet he's got ASHL stickers plastered all over... I'm sitting on the bench trying to catch my breath and he's all "yeah roll over and die you <expletives>".

Really? We're on the same team in a pick up game! It's not like he's all that good. He's probably on-par with me skating wise (more speed but less balance) but has the hockey sense of a three year old.

I guess he was upset because none of the scouts in the building were going to catch him dipsy-doodling behind the net to throw blind passes into the slot. Yeah, that'll get you to the show.


Argh... I love hockey but I hate the people that play sometimes. /rant
Hahaha the guys with the fifteen ASHL stickers plastered all over their helmets like they're fighter pilots or something. Always the worst players who think they're the best. So funny, I know EXACTLY the type you're talking about.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:16 PM
  #44
takehisheadoff
Registered User
 
takehisheadoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cranbrook, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
This guy posts his stats on facebook

Hockey is a team sport you win or lose for your team. You fight for your team, you take hits for your team, you sacrafice it all for YOUR team. The most pathetic thing is this is a fun beer league If this guy is in it for himself he should get into golf or tennis or darts or bowling something a one man team thing.

takehisheadoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:38 PM
  #45
budster
Schoolyard Puck
 
budster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
I wanted to chime in and share something that helped my team. We had one of our wives film our game and a few days later we all went in on pizza and watched the footage on a projector. I think it was humbling for everyone (me included) to see what our game looks like from the stands. It gave us the team perspective and made us more unified.

It's crazy how behind the shield, I feel like a pro. When I stop it feels like I just shredded 3 feet of ice in my opponents face. Then I watch the film and I see a weak stop and a few tiny flakes. Reality can be harsh, but sometimes you need to face it in order to improve.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:41 PM
  #46
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor
 
Chalupa Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 22,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
I wanted to chime in and share something that helped my team. We had one of our wives film our game and a few days later we all went in on pizza and watched the footage on a projector. I think it was humbling for everyone (me included) to see what our game looks like from the stands. It gave us the team perspective and made us more unified.

It's crazy how behind the shield, I feel like a pro. When I stop it feels like I just shredded 3 feet of ice in my opponents face. Then I watch the film and I see a weak stop and a few tiny flakes. Reality can be harsh, but sometimes you need to face it in order to improve.
So true. The "A" (beer) league here is really good, but I was watching one of our games on one television, and an Avalanche game on another television, and it's very humbling. It feels so much faster on the ice.

When I sit in the upper level at the Pepsi Center, it always feels like I could play goal at the NHL level, and I imagine that a lot of fans get that impression. The closer you get to the ice, it quickly becomes obvious that it wouldn't work out. And once I sat in the old goal judge seats behind the net.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:25 PM
  #47
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles
 
CarlWinslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,653
vCash: 500
Every league has guys like the ones you are describing. I generally don't try as hard as I could because its rec hockey and I want everyone to be involved, handle the puck etc. If I run into a guy like that on the other team though, I will make a point of playing my ass off and chirping the hell out of him in the hope that he gets the message.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:20 PM
  #48
GrizzWinter31
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England
Country: United States
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
So true. The "A" (beer) league here is really good, but I was watching one of our games on one television, and an Avalanche game on another television, and it's very humbling. It feels so much faster on the ice.

When I sit in the upper level at the Pepsi Center, it always feels like I could play goal at the NHL level, and I imagine that a lot of fans get that impression. The closer you get to the ice, it quickly becomes obvious that it wouldn't work out. And once I sat in the old goal judge seats behind the net.
A beer leaguer (goalie especially) wouldn't even be serviceable at the NCAA D3, FHL, SPHL, and all levels up from there.
Even if the game looks slow on TV a person would have to be out of this world ignorant to feel like they could play in the NHL..

I go to stick and puck just to work on my movement.
There's a kid there who told me he was one step away from the OHL and had an offer from Michigan State. He was 21, played in the defunct World Junior Hockey League, and couldn't consistently lift a clapper off the ice.

GrizzWinter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.