HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do Not Retire #33, not in MtL

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 05:57 AM
Bob Bastards

vCash: 500
I think they have to reired Robinson, Gainey and Savard number before even thinking about retiering the #33. I think those 3 have a much deeper impact on the concession then Roy. Roy as a whole is a great player and will have is number retired but not before those 3.
As for Colorado removing Goulet and Stasny number from the retired list, it prove that they make no sense when it come to retired number. Removing Roy number only 6 month or so after is retierment is BS. And don't get me started with Bourque, its just marketing crap. Don't get me wrong, Bourque was one of the best defensman in this game and the fact that the Bruins did remove is number prove it and I am happy they did it, but come on! When a player play only 1 season for you, don't tell me he have a big impact on your team. I think Lacroix mix up why your suppose to retierd number.
But that just my opinion...

Old
10-29-2003, 08:09 AM
Disco Volante

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
i got a question for you, why you like Mario Tremblay so much?
I think he did a great job as a rookie coach that didn't have much support nor much technical knowledge of the game. Yes, he did some mistakes, and probably that his confrontation with Roy wasn't the appropriate way to handle the King (well I think he had to do something to show Roy that the Demers days were over). I'm confident he'll come back as a really good coach now that he has had a "stage" under Lemaire, he has the fieriness (essential to me for a coach) that Vigneault and Julien are lacking and that Therrien didn't use properly plus he his a very charismatic character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus
Don't mind me, but I just loves kicking players' n*ts when they play like excrement (players like Rusinsky for instance, or Audette lately*wait a sec..I always bash Audette).

I hope you won't mind me bashin' some more I hope laddy!
Oh I don't bother anymore, I'm used to be ashamed of being a habs fan. It's been like three years now that I cheer mostly for the Thrashers and I have absolutely no problem with the fans. Habs fans, for some reason, always get to pass for a bunch of educationnally subnormal retards.

Was that "lady"? Oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
Your avatar is INCREDIBLE, I LOVE IT !!!
Thanx! It was a proposition to HiggsFan for his thing (to which I hope Nyclaus hasn't been invited but that I'm absolutely sure you were), but he doesn't think it's lively enough

Well I don't particularly like your avatar so I can't return the exact same compliment :p , but nevertheless here's one : the above comment about habs fan didn't include you in any remote way. You're actually one of my favorite posters (so I'm even more flattered you like my Jesus).

Old
10-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Roy did not turn his back on this organisation. It's the other way around. Just like the organisation did with Lafleur, the Rocket, Harvey, Geoffrion, Plante, etc. This organisation has NEVER liked players bigger than life. It's ironic since these megastars were the raison d'Ítre and the reason why the team won cup after cup. All of them were either traded or pushed aside without grace.
The issue is not that the team turns its back on these players, and not that they don't like players bigger than life. Beliveau is living proof of that. The rule is and has always been since Father Frank that no one player is more important then the team. No player, no matter his popularity is exempt from that rule. All of the trades; good and bad, were motivated by the team's best interest at the time. GMs can not afford to make trades based on personal issues.

Having said that, Roy's situation is different. Tremblay took the rule too far, as Ftorek once did to Gretz in LA. Any other player, on any other team and the coach lifts the goalie, but Tremblay chose that moment to make a point. It back-fired. Plain and simple. Roy had earned his pride over past performances in Montreal, checked himself out of a hospital to play and was treated like a rookie by a man with no coahing experience at all. Since Tremblay did nothing without the stamp of upper management Roy blamed them.

One other thing. The comments regarding Dryden as having no impact are total crap. From the moment Ken gained his popularity until probably the mid-to late 80's nearly every goalie in the league played a rigid, tall stand-up style that emphasized mobility and using your size above all else. Peeters, McLean and Burke were probably the most obvious imitators. Even Roy played a modified version of the style when he broke in. I don't think Dryden should get his jersey retired, but give the man his due.

On topic now, I do think Montreal will retire the jersey probably in the 10 or 15 years others have mentioned. In the meantime, someone would need balls of brass to wear 33 in Montreal.

Old
10-29-2003, 01:52 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia
I hope it never happens, When Patrick Roy told Ronald Corey he played his last game in Montreal, he turned his back on the organization, which should mean no retirement of his sweater. Plus Larry Robinson or Bob Gainey are overdue.
Roy was furious againts Tremblay and also againts the crowd (applauded him when he stopped the puck ,,,)so , furious , he said without thinking what he said ...and for just one sentence you dump all he gave to this team ?

i think it is a little bit baby from you

Old
10-29-2003, 05:23 PM
old scotia

Like I said before , Patty Roy said he would never play again for the Habs. So why should he be honored by them. Why ? Why?
If you worked at MacDonalds and told them you'll never flip another burger for them. Sure as HECK they won't make you employee of the week.

Old
10-29-2003, 05:52 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Roy's jersey should be retired. It wont be now and it's ok like this but it's just a matter of time. He won us the 2 last cups in the last 20 years (in 2006 which is soon) all by himself. Only the run in the playoffs of '93 with all the wins in overtime give him right to have his jersey retired!!

He have play more seasons in Montreal, He won the Conn Smythe 2 times in Montreal (the 2 cups) the first trophee on his Rookie year in Mtl.
It's enough, I think you get my point.

Everything such has the special situation when he leaves and the angry of most here about the return we get for him in this trade should not count:

When the greatest goaltender in hockey's history have played most of his career in the greatest franchise of pure hockey tradition, the result should be as simple as 1+1=2, His jersey will be retired AS IT SHOULD BE imo.

Old
10-30-2003, 12:39 PM
PatrickRoy33

Send a message via ICQ to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via AIM to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via MSN to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via Yahoo to PatrickRoy33
So that the Hab-nots won't endure the "Babe Ruth" curse....blame your ex-coach for why Roy was bitter....sometimes when a coach tries to show who's boss, it blows up in his face....

Old
10-30-2003, 01:06 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod
Those cups he brought Montreal don't matter anymore?

How quickly we all forget...

He couldn't have done it 86 without brillaint rookies like Lemieux Richer and Leclairs clutch goals in 93!

Screw Roy he always benefited from strong teams in front of him. Montreal always had a good team up until the end when Roy sucked out! Screw him!

Old
10-30-2003, 05:34 PM
nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
He couldn't have done it 86 without brillaint rookies like Lemieux Richer and Leclairs clutch goals in 93!

Screw Roy he always benefited from strong teams in front of him. Montreal always had a good team up until the end when Roy sucked out! Screw him!
So...I guess 10 straight OT wins in '93 was just a product of the team and not the goalie, eh?

Old
10-30-2003, 05:42 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
So...I guess 10 straight OT wins in '93 was just a product of the team and not the goalie, eh?
You can't compare Roy to Richard or Beliveau or even Plante for that matter. Roy sold out, although **** happends, maybe he was pissed and Tremblay and Houle jumped on him asking to be traded, maybe he really did want to stay, but he got traded and thats what happend. He doesn't deserve it, wait 30 years maybe then, ok not 30, maybe 15-20. You think he should be retired, cause you don't understand the tradition of hockey in Montreal, we have seen greats come and go, he might be the best goalie ever, but we have had a lot of greats, not to mention players look at like gods(The Rocket is the best example). We aren't saying he wasn't great, but he has a lot to live up too.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:50 PM
nathan

I'm not comparing him to anybody nor am I trying to convince anybody whether or not Roy's jersey should be retired in MTL.

I just want to make a point that because Roy left the Habs on bad terms should not discount his past accomplishments at all.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:00 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
I'm not comparing him to anybody nor am I trying to convince anybody whether or not Roy's jersey should be retired in MTL.

I just want to make a point that because Roy left the Habs on bad terms should not discount his past accomplishments at all.
Him leaving on bad terms doesn't mean he didn't win 2 cups for us, or those 10 str8 OT wins. Times heals all wounds, and well when it comes to the habs making the playoffs 3 of the years after he left, well leaves a bad taste in our mouth.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:35 PM
PatrickRoy33

Send a message via ICQ to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via AIM to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via MSN to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via Yahoo to PatrickRoy33
Actually, screw Montreal, let'em suffer...I'd rather his number only be retired in the one city he'll be most remembered....let the Hab-nots suffer the curse....he had nis number retired by the team that appreciated him more, and best of all, the one team where he beat and set all the records....

Too many hurt Habs fans will try and cover up what he did for them, probably the same fans that were riding his OT winning jock in 93, and the "where did we get this kid" bandwagon in 86....

Old
10-31-2003, 03:11 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not what I said.....

He couldn't have done it alone is all I said.

Old
10-31-2003, 06:13 AM
PatrickRoy33

Quote:
Not what I said.....

He couldn't have done it alone is all I said.
Who else was in net with him while the Habs were trying to score?

Old
10-31-2003, 06:15 AM
mcphee

My gut reaction is to retire 19 asap, wait a bit and retire 33. I got to thinking about why #33 ? His performances in 86 and 93 were legendary
and will be part of Stanley Cup video productions forever. He was clearly the dominant player on those teams. He had a great career in Mtl., although there was a game7 against Boston in 94 that sticks in my mind. Nobody's perfect. Look at Dryden, what Roy did in 86 and 93, Dryden did in 71. Not only did the Habs win, they beat the best the NHL had to offer in Boston and Chicago. Personally I rank the 71 performance on a par with, Roy's. Dryden's other cups are attributed to the power of the team during that era. It can be argued that Roy's 2 cups in Colorado were similar to Dryden's wins in the late 70's. Denadebean's arguement about Roy's influence is bang on, things changed because of him. To me the bottom line is that Roy achieved a folk hero status that Dryden never did. Whether it be the fact that Roy was The Quebecois star of his era, or simply his charisma, Roy was special. Dryden was great, as was Gainey,Savard,Lapointe,Shutt,Moore,Cournoyer, etc., but I'd retire 19 and 33 and leave it at that.

Now if you wanted to retire #35, that's another story.

Old
10-31-2003, 06:41 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRoy33
Who else was in net with him while the Habs were trying to score?
Hah ! I looked it up. Roy didn't score a single OT goal that year. That's right, not one.

Old
10-31-2003, 07:48 AM
The Unseen Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia
Like I said before , Patty Roy said he would never play again for the Habs. So why should he be honored by them. Why ? Why?
If you worked at MacDonalds and told them you'll never flip another burger for them. Sure as HECK they won't make you employee of the week.
When Roy said that to Corey, he was emotional and angry that he had been humiliated. Next day he walked to Rejean Houle's office and apologized his behaviour and said he wants to continue playing for the Canadiens.

Houle, who had tears in his eyes, said that he and Corey had decided to trade him. Roy didn't say a word and left the office and slammed the door close.

This was told by Houle maybe two years ago.

Old
10-31-2003, 11:22 AM
PatrickRoy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Hah ! I looked it up. Roy didn't score a single OT goal that year. That's right, not one.

EXACTLY....so while the other 18 players were not SCORING those goals either, HE was the only one keeping them ALIVE IN those games UNTIL they scored....

Old
10-31-2003, 12:32 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRoy33
EXACTLY....so while the other 18 players were not SCORING those goals either, HE was the only one keeping them ALIVE IN those games UNTIL they scored....
Isn't that how hockey is played?

Old
11-01-2003, 06:58 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Is it really true that Roy didn't want to leave but Houle and Corey decided to fire him for his emberassing tirade? You didn't see the Yankees trade Reggie Jackson when he and Billy Martin were near fists in the bullpen in 1977! If that's true, then I hate that clean, wholesome, goody-good Corey even more. Worst president ever who hired the worst GM ever. The Avs are not the class of the league. According to many media people I've heard from, they're a management of pompous bloated-ego old Quebec standbys. Those Avs fans who come here bragging should know that a good team fell into their lap right away. How many consecutive sellouts would you have if the team came in as bad as the New York Islanders of the mid-90s? Look at the numbers they unretired. With Selanne in, they gave him Tardif's old number 8. Someone did have J.C. Tremblay's no. 3. Okay, those guys were WHA legends so they have no real relevance with today's Avalanche. But Stastny's number was given away and notice how their assistant GM, Michel Goulet, although his is unretired has no one wearing that #16 currently. Then they retire Bourque and Roy's numbers, two french-canadians. I guess Lacroix gives Quebecers their props before anyone else. Does this mean they will retire Alex Tanguay's number one day? Haha. No, we can all agree that Sakic and Forsberg deserve that honour. But Colabadho will bestow that "honour" on anyone-so look for Hejduk and Foote to get it too. The Bruins retire numbers with ridiculous frequency too. If Terry O'Reilly, John Bucyk and Lionel Hitchman played for the Habs they wouldn't even get consideration. Well, maybe Bucyk because he played 21 of 22 seasons on one team.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:07 AM
Douggy

If it weren't for Roy, the Habs ineptitude would be rivaling the Leafs and Hawks! :p He may have turned his back on you, but if you don't want 33 hanging from the rafters just because he 'walked out on you' then you might as well take the two Stanley Cup banners.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:14 AM
Habs33

Quote:

Oh Yeah 86 and 93 montreal were cup contenders....right.!!
U know nothing about hockey,kid.
Even with CONTENDERS like colorado he was MVP of the PLAYOFFS, that's what makes ROY who he is....nevermind the season vezinas and jennings he won by himself in montreal.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:32 AM
Habs33

Ok here is the deal with Roy and Montreal.

I know this b/c I had the pleasure of meeting him and spending time with the guy on a couple of occassions during the past summers.

Yes it is true that ROY 'wanted' to be traded and decided to leave. The next morning of the Dec 5th incident both Houle and Corey had 2 private meetings with him to apologize to HIM about the night before and letting him know that they understood his reaction, (ROY IS a WARRIOR and FIRECE competitor). They even apologized for Tremblays attempt to make a point for the organization and were offering to maybe fire him (later on) if that's what it took to keep him in Montreal.

The Canadians knew who Roy was (social fabric of the city at the time, fierce competitor etc) and knew just how much Tremblay and Roy HATED each other, with a passion. (they used to room on the rode 85-86 and fought constantly). Roy was very dissapointed when he heard he was hired and quote: "went to take a cold shower" after he saw it on the news.

Having said that, yes ROY turned his back on the (current) organization and the Fans, BUT only after the org. and FANS turned their backs to him. That night roy was having a bad game (out of 84 its totaly normal) and felt that he needed to be pulled out early, to give the team a fighting chance to win. (all he cares about is winning, even when we play golf). The fans that night were booing him and he was deeply hurt and so reacted the way he did out of sheer frustration (he apologized for that the next day). In fact he was so hurt (by the fans) that you can see tears in his eyes when you see his face after he turns around when he spoke to Corey. He'll say it was tears of anger, but I know it was dissapointment from the fans reaction. In any case he apologized for his reaction to the crowd, even though he shouldn't have for the Fans in montreal are arguably the worst. I know cause I am one of them. How quickly we forget what he has done for us in one quick game (minutes actually).

Anyway i don't want to get into the whole montreal Fan debate, so I will stick to the fact that Corey and Houle (but mostly corey) are responsible for the canadians disnmal failures in late years. (corey knew he was neing kicked out before he hired houle and as soon as the new forum was built). He left the team in bad hands and it started with hiring Houle, ( my 7yr old niece knows more about hockey than Houle).

Roy left at age 30, clearly in the prime of his career and WE WOULD have seen another cup in the next 8 years that he played (maybe not 2 but 1 for sure).

IMO the reason to retire one's number lies first with the team and then with the game. Roy did plenty for both franchises he played for. If you look at the Canadiens franchise today, there is no sign of the old one he left. Everything is new (except for brisebois) all the way up to the owner himself. If this franchise has class they will retire his number as they should for the other honorable ones, like 19, maybe 29, etc. However Roy is for certain and shouldn't be debatable, and his ceremonie should be bigger than the others. I love Dryden, he was an awesome player, but he'll be the first to tell you that Hockey for him was nothing but a stepping stone for him to become a lawyer and now president (of the LEAFS, talk about turning your back ), and how Roy being french canadian meant a little more to Montreal.

Bottom line he's arguably the best goalie all time and one of the best canadians of all time. ==> retire number 33

thank you.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:47 PM
Stephen

Yeah I guess Roy's number doesn't deserve to be retired.

I guess Montreal should take down the 1986 and 1993 Stanley Cup banners down too.

Closed Thread