HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Years Eve game in Florida: Who's Going?

Old
11-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
New Years Eve game in Florida: Who's Going?

I'll be going to the Habs' New Years Eve game in Florida for the second straight year. Since we basically take over the joint every year, I'm curious if any of you fine HF members will be there. For those who don't know, that annual game has become an embarrassment for the Panther's organization, as Habs fans out-attend and out-cheer the few Panther fans who bother showing up. It's like the entire Bank Atlantic Center comes down with scarlet fever for a night, with Habs jerseys blanketing the arena and parking lot.

Anyway, I went on the Panthers' board a month ago to ask the HF Florida fans why this happens every year -- do they purposely avoid that game or are they just not interested? Not antagonizing them in any way, just hoping this year would see a more audible rivalry with a better turnout of Florida fans. Boy, what a mistake! Most of them pounced on me, unleashing all the venom of their frustrated franchise, piling on their horror stories of terrible Habs fans, misreading what I wrote, really getting their Hab-hate on. I had no idea our team and fans had ANY reputation in Panther-land, but they really, really don't like us!

Here's the link to my dumb attempt at diplomacy:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1016609

So let me know if you've done the New Years Eve game before, and if you're planning to do it in a month. It would be cool.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:26 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

As much as you try and be civil and 'diplomatic', put yourself in the shoes of a panthers fan, and you'll realize it was quite the Troll thread. And arrogant to a certain degree; intentional or not.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:34 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Went last year with Seb, Jee and HarryI. The game in Sunrise was fun, the one in Tampa not so much. The win vs the Panthers felt like a relief and it felt like home. Lots of fun and great weather.

Hope you enjoy it!

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Habbadasher

It was classless to remind them that they lost.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Lshap

Hmphhh... okay, criticism accepted, though my mentioning the loss was in context of how I got Plek's stick. Why would anyone be offended by mentioning a year-old loss? I really didn't know they were that sensitive about this whole subject; the total indifference I witnessed at the game last year made me expect the same indifference on their board.

Live and learn.

Old
11-26-2011, 03:19 PM
TripleLow5

I've been twice to the new year's game against the Panthers..
Not going this year but I usually go to Florida in Dec. Last time I was there we Ole'd the few Panther's fans right out of their own building lool. Felt like a home game

TripleLow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 04:43 PM
PhysicX

Wow I had no clue Montreal fans were that hated... I wonder how big is the difference between some of rival fans' generalizations and the actual truth.... I ain't too happy about this, but what can I do... Kind of sad.

PhysicX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
Wow I had no clue Montreal fans were that hated... I wonder how big is the difference between some of rival fans' generalizations and the actual truth.... I ain't too happy about this, but what can I do... Kind of sad.
This was my exact same reaction -- complete surprise at such hostility. I've been on other teams' boards sharing my experience of being in their arenas, and have never before had a problem. Whenever I'm a visitor I act like one, and have always been welcomed by the host fans, in person or online. It has nothing to do with which team wins or loses.

That so many Florida fans went off on this anti-Habs tirade makes me curious to see if I notice any incidents by Montrealers at their arena next month, or if their insults are just a pile of childish generalizations. But here's an easy, foolproof way for Florida fans to solve this annual problem: SHOW UP TO THE GAME SO HABS FANS DON'T HAVE TO FILL YOUR SEATS!

Old
11-26-2011, 05:26 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

I've been the last two years and will probably be there this time as well. Go Habs Go!!!

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

I'll at least think I will be there cause I will be so sloshed lol. Have a good time!

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 07:20 PM
InglewoodJack

Asking a team's fans if they avoid a specific game in their home arena because a lot of Habs fans show up? Straight up dick move.

That being said, they have a good chance of winning. The Inglewood Jacks fantasy team is being carried by Versteeg, Fleishman and Kulikov, who are all beasts.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 07:51 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Nope but i have 4th row behind the Habs bench for the 28th of February !! The advantages of having Pops living in Florida !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Idea for a thread was good, but the way you went around it wasn't. Nobody wants to hear opposing fans that are attending the game calling them out and telling them to come to their own barn. Kind of rude, if you ask me.

Nevertheless, crazy how much Panthers fans hate Habs fans. For the few thousand that show up and act like losers, all of us are generalized into the group of losers and deemed horrible fans? Yikes.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Asking a team's fans if they avoid a specific game in their home arena because a lot of Habs fans show up? Straight up dick move.
Sorry, I don't see that. It's a reasonable question to ask: Why are none of you at this particular game? It's not like Montrealers stole their tickets -- Panther fans just gave 'em up. I've been to plenty of arenas and have never seen anything like that. A fan base collectively bails on its team for a night -- where else does this happen???

So yeah, I asked the question. I wasn't poking fun, I just wanted to know why. If it was too Larry David of me, then sorry. But I apologized, so I'm not taking any more heat because I unintentionally brought up Panther fans' dirty little secret.

But it gives me an idea for a sign to hold up at the game...

Old
11-26-2011, 10:38 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Am i allowed to post in this thread or would it be considered trolling?

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Richiebottles
Someone on the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
Gomez= We see Red

Panthers= They see red

Welcome to our board.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:43 PM
PhysicX

Quote:
Euh.... How about you just post what you have to say and let us check if its trolling instead of asking that question?

Old
11-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Absolutely. Fire away dude!

Old
11-26-2011, 11:00 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAvtsin View Post
Gomez= We see Red

Panthers= They see red

Welcome to our board.
Thanks. Totally OT but before i post i wanted to say you guys got robbed of the extra point tonight. The problem in the game today is refs blow whistles too quickly tonight they swallowed their whistles for some reason. Cough pittsburgh favoritism cough.

Anyways on to this issue. It is no secret the florida panthers can be considered one of the most laughable organizations in hockey. Being without playoffs for 11 years would do that to any american team.

For a bandwagon town such as south florida (Lebron James Miami Heat etc) what fans that were created in the 1996 stanley cup run were quickly dismantled in ensuing decade and a half of mediocrity. That being said there has always been a small diehard fanbase of loyal panther fans who attend every game, are season ticket holders, and are frequent visitors to hf boards.

The semi-annual visit of the montreal canadiens has been a hot button issue ever since the panthers started playing in south florida. Due to snowbirds and winter visitors from quebec the game is probably the most lopsided away fanbase attendance for a game across all professional sporting venues (MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL).

Away fans are common at many games at the Bank Atlantic Center including NY area teams, Toronto, and most notably Montreal. To be frank, without the nhl scheduling these northen teams to play during winter months and usually during holiday weeks the panthers ticket sales and revenue would be much lower than it currently is.

I have personally attended several panthers-Canadiens matchups at the Bank Atlantic Center and it is a very unusual experience.

I want every habs fan to imagine for a moment playing a home game against the toronto maple leafs where 5,000 of your fans are in attendance compared to 15,000 maple leaf fans. Would you want to go to that game?

Many panthers fans including diehard season ticket holders will attend 39 home games instead of 41 for the simple fact that is not fun being in your home arena and feeling like an outsider. It could possibly be the worst feeling for any fan in any sport.

Even if the panthers went 82-0 ten seasons in a row, i still believe that montreal fans will outnumber panthers fans at the bank atlantic center because you guys are the most passionate fans in the sport of hockey. Thats the way it is and always will be.

To Lshap: I wish i was a mind reader but im not. When you posted the thread on our boards, regardless of attitude or intent it was seen by many die hard panthers fans including myself as a personal attack against our organization. If you notice panthers attendance has been much better this season averaging over 17,000 a game. Further, panther attendance by actual panther fans is increasing drastically due to the team's recent success.

But south florida is not unlike other sunbelt markets or markets in pittsburgh, chicago, or washington who all averaged awful attendance when they had subpar seasons. Panther fan attendance will always be inexorably tied to the team's success.

I would personally invite you to come to a panther home game against any other opponent besides montreal to get a better measure of our fanbase and the home atmosphere that inspires our team.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:04 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Buy two Papa Johns pizzas and cokes and get hockey tickets. Yeah... Different culture.
I had no bad experiences at the NYE games but it was a sea of Habs jerseys, when Panthers scored PA system blared a goal song when the Habs scored the snowbirds made much more noise than that. So yeah I see how some Americans could be bitter and angry. The board hate seems like sour grapes, but I don't judge because the Panthers fans I met at the game were pretty cool, said they enjoyed having a full house and some noise. Plus it's NYE so it's a party.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:13 PM
PhysicX

To panthersflames1

I've read countless posts by Lshap (maybe even in the hundreds) and I've yet to see him attack someone or a franchise personally. I've read his post in the Panther's section and I honestly can understand the frustration and uneasiness behind it, but Lshap for sure did not mean any harm. He took a bad road to ask his question and make a point, but neither him nor I knew how hated our fans were... And in no way am I happy about that or approve of such actions by fellow habs fans... With that said, we're not all the same for crying out loud!!! So because I was born in Montreal and I have followed this team since I was born, that makes it ok for you guys to hate me, because habs fans are disrespectful?

Old
11-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Thanks. Totally OT but before i post i wanted to say you guys got robbed of the extra point tonight. The problem in the game today is refs blow whistles too quickly tonight they swallowed their whistles for some reason. Cough pittsburgh favoritism cough.

Anyways on to this issue. It is no secret the florida panthers can be considered one of the most laughable organizations in hockey. Being without playoffs for 11 years would do that to any american team.

For a bandwagon town such as south florida (Lebron James Miami Heat etc) what fans that were created in the 1996 stanley cup run were quickly dismantled in ensuing decade and a half of mediocrity. That being said there has always been a small diehard fanbase of loyal panther fans who attend every game, are season ticket holders, and are frequent visitors to hf boards.

The semi-annual visit of the montreal canadiens has been a hot button issue ever since the panthers started playing in south florida. Due to snowbirds and winter visitors from quebec the game is probably the most lopsided away fanbase attendance for a game across all professional sporting venues (MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL).

Away fans are common at many games at the Bank Atlantic Center including NY area teams, Toronto, and most notably Montreal. To be frank, without the nhl scheduling these northen teams to play during winter months and usually during holiday weeks the panthers ticket sales and revenue would be much lower than it currently is.

I have personally attended several panthers-Canadiens matchups at the Bank Atlantic Center and it is a very unusual experience.

I want every habs fan to imagine for a moment playing a home game against the toronto maple leafs where 5,000 of your fans are in attendance compared to 15,000 maple leaf fans. Would you want to go to that game?

Many panthers fans including diehard season ticket holders with attend 39 home games instead of 41 for the simple fact that is not fun being in your home arena and feeling like an outsider. It could possibly be the worst feeling for any fan in any sport.

Even if the panthers went 82-0 ten seasons in a row, i still believe that montreal fans will outnumber panthers fans at the bank atlantic center because you guys are the most passionate fans in the sport of hockey. Thats the way it is and always will be.

To Lshap: I wish i was a mind reader but im not. When you posted the thread on our boards, regardless of attitude or intent it was seen by many die hard panthers fans including myself as a personal attack against our organization. If you notice panthers attendance has been much better this season averaging over 17,000 a game. Further, panther attendance by actual panther fans is increasing drastically due to the team's recent success.

But south florida is not unlike other sunbelt markets or markets in pittsburgh, chicago, or washington who all averaged awful attendance when they had subpar seasons.

I would personally invite you to come to a panther home game against any other opponent besides montreal to get a better measure of our fanbase and the home atmosphere that inspires our team.
This is a great post. Points taken. For my part, I'll repeat my apology to you personally: I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone in your fan base. If I did, it was unintentional and I am sorry. I absolutely loved being in your arena last year and am psyched to be going again, but NOT because it's packed with Montrealers. In fact, I'd PREFER to see/hear/meet more Panthers fans in their home. That's one of the main appeals of going to another arena for me -- to feel like I'm away and absorb the culture. So I started that thread on your board last month in the hope that last year was some anomaly and y'all would be coming this year, and found out quickly that it was a dumb thing to do. I didn't know that game was a sensitive point for the real Panther fans here on HF; of course, the fact that you were passionate enough to blast me is a pretty good sign.

I'm glad you guys are having a solid season thus far, and I hope it's the start of better things to come for its loyal fans.

Old
11-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
To panthersflames1

I've read countless posts by Lshap (maybe even in the hundreds) and I've yet to see him attack someone or a franchise personally. I've read his post in the Panther's section and I honestly can understand the frustration and uneasiness behind it, but Lshap for sure did not mean any harm. He took a bad road to ask his question and make a point, but neither him nor I knew how hated our fans were... And in no way am I happy about that or approve of such actions by fellow habs fans... With that said, we're not all the same for crying out loud!!! So because I was born in Montreal and I have followed this team since I was born, that makes it ok for you guys to hate me, because habs fans are disrespectful?
This is also a great post, but for totally selfish reasons! Seriously, your words are very much appreciated. Thanks!

Old
11-26-2011, 11:26 PM
thoplek

I will be there with my family and in-laws. My mother in law will be wearing a pink habs shirt with a pink habs hat. Yes, I know, *facepalm*.

thoplek is offline   Reply With Quote