HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Experiments that aren't working

Old
11-26-2011, 10:11 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Experiments that aren't working

1. Pleks on the point on the PP
2. Gionta - Cammalleri - Pleks on a line
3. Gill and Weber as a defensive pairing

Something different has to be tried with that PP. It is hopeless the way it stands and Pleks has been put in an awkward position. Weber and Subban also seem to be hesitating to take the one-timer. But it goes much deeper than that. The whole PP unit along with the tactics need to be re-examined.

The Gionta-Cammmalleri-Pleks line is lacking something and either Gionta or Cammalleri need to find a new spot on the team or elsewhere. I like the Eller line and the Desharnais line and wouldn't mess with those, so I don't know what the solution is.

Weber is still making tons of mistakes and he is undersized. Gill is simply hopeless.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Well the alternatives are:

- Emelin-Weber, Gill-Diaz
- break up the top pairing to spread out the quality
- trade for yet another defenceman
- wait for Markov, Campoli and Spacek to return

...I think we know which one is the only real option.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Hugo Sham

jacques martin as coach isn't working.
Gauthier as gm isn't working

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I tried to make a homemade volcano with baking soda and vinegar...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Being small and fast and skilled.

I'd rather be big and fast and skilled, please.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Bullsmith

A roster with no toughness. A coaching philosophy that expects the refs to protect the team from abuse but hasn't got a functional PP. Complete inability to protect our franchise goalie. Things that seem obvious, but not according to our GM or coach.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:31 PM
coolasprICE

Gomez

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:33 PM
JohnLennon

I'd make it more specific and say Plekanec and Gionta do not work together. At all.

I kind of liked the chemistry Gionta and Gomez showed. It looks like Gionta is lost without his big brother.

JohnLennon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:36 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I tried to make a homemade volcano with baking soda and vinegar...
I got this picture in my mind and can't stop laughing

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
1. Pleks on the point on the PP
2. Gionta - Cammalleri - Pleks on a line

Something different has to be tried with that PP. It is hopeless the way it stands and Pleks has been put in an awkward position. Weber and Subban also seem to be hesitating to take the one-timer. But it goes much deeper than that. The whole PP unit along with the tactics need to be re-examined.

The Gionta-Cammmalleri-Pleks line is lacking something and either Gionta or Cammalleri need to find a new spot on the team or elsewhere. I like the Eller line and the Desharnais line and wouldn't mess with those, so I don't know what the solution is.

Weber is still making tons of mistakes and he is undersized. Gill is simply hopeless.

Gill is brutal no matter what, it won't matter who he's playing with. He's wayyy tooo sloooowww!!! Hamrlik is still 10 times faster...just sayin.

Darche does not belong on the ice during powerplays or in the 3rd period unless the Habs are leading by at least 2 goals. He's rotten.

Break up the smallest line in the NHL of Pleks, Cammy and Gionta. Put Cammy on the 3rd line with Eller and Moen until he wakes up and starts giving an effort. Put Kostitsyn with Gionta and Pleks since he's working hard and it'll give that line some size.

The powerplay looks ok with Pleks on the point, but it isn't working, time to try something else. Give Diaz more icetime on the top PP unit.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Prairie Habs

Points 1 and 3 are both solved once Markov and Spacek come back so I'm not too concerned. My issue with 2 is that I love the Cole-DD-Pac and Moen-Eller-AK lines and don't really want to break them up. My only thought for line combos would be to switch Cole and Gio and see if Cammy-Plek-Cole works now that Cole is more settled on the team and playing great.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Hugo Sham

the biggest issues:

-cole and maxpac making it obvious we need even more size on wings in top 6.
-gomez making it obvious we need another vet center with scoring ability
-we absolutely need some jam, grit, muscle - a ****ing identity for our 4th line
-even with campoli and markov back we need some size and nastiness on our D and no not just emelin
-martin needs to go

Old
11-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
Being small and fast and skilled.

I'd rather be big and fast and skilled, please.
Its been 17 years of "small, fast and skilled." I think we are past the experiment phase. I think someone in Montreal believes this is the only way to success.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Its been 17 years of "small, fast and skilled." I think we are past the experiment phase. I think someone in Montreal believes this is the only way to success.
And the problem is that we consider ourselves a "skilled team" but when it comes right down to it, the real contenders have much better skilled players than we do. Plus they have size.

We haven't had a player finish in the top 10 in the scoring race for 25 years. But we consider ourselves skilled... Something isn't right here. It would be one thing if we had elite small players like Giroux and St. Louis but we don't. We have mediocre small guys and that's not going to take us anywhere.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
And the problem is that we consider ourselves a "skilled team" but when it comes right down to it, the real contenders have much better skilled players than we do. Plus they have size.

We haven't had a player finish in the top 10 in the scoring race for 25 years. But we consider ourselves skilled... Something isn't right here. It would be one thing if we had elite small players like Giroux and St. Louis but we don't. We have mediocre small guys and that's not going to take us anywhere.
Thats actually such a sad thing.

Montreal is not that skilled. Really they are good skaters but not explosive aside from Cole. You see so many more teams with more bigger faster and more skilled players. Teams are finding these players, Montreal finally has two in Cole and Pacioretty. Cole they just got and Pacioretty who JM nearly destroyed.

Its not one or the other. But the blend. Montreals has such an overabundance of these small shifty forwards, that it doesnt get them to the next level.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stradale

Agreed with the last couple of posts.

SIZE DOES MATTER.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hugo Sham

Quote:

both of those teams surround their small guys with some beef or jam - from malone, vinny, downey, etc to harnell, JVR, simmonds, pronger etc...
we need a bit of nastiness and size to play with our small guys, cole and maxpac is only a start

Old
11-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Miller Time

Cammalleri paid as an elite top line goal scorer...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Teufelsdreck

Before the season the major gripe on this forum was having to carry Spacek (there were some wishful thinkers who still defended Gomez). Now it's patently clear that while Gomez ought to be the first down the chute he should have a lot of company. No, I don't mean Moen, who has eight goals already, but Cammalleri, Weber, Gionta, and Gill (while Darche isn't even worth mentioning). And judging by the way Gorges has played recently, he should be put on probation while Diaz needs a spell of minor league seasoning. Finally, Subban needs a dose of the same tough love he received last year.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:55 PM
De Montreal
help

we need markov back

De Montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Before the season the major gripe on this forum was having to carry Spacek (there were some wishful thinkers who still defended Gomez). Now it's patently clear that while Gomez ought to be the first down the chute he should have a lot of company. No, I don't mean Moen, who has eight goals already, but Cammalleri, Weber, Gionta, and Gill (while Darche isn't even worth mentioning). And judging by the way Gorges has played recently, he should be put on probation while Diaz needs a spell of minor league seasoning. Finally, Subban needs a dose of the same tough love he received last year.
Gorges & Subban are the reason we're not in full on draft following mode.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Finally, Subban needs a dose of the same tough love he received last year.
so let me get this straight...

your opinion is that what this team needs is to take our best Dman and sit him in the press box for 3 games?

Old
11-27-2011, 01:08 AM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
so let me get this straight...

your opinion is that what this team needs is to take our best Dman and sit him in the press box for 3 games?

Obviously, and distribute his icetime (23+ minutes) among Weber/Gill/St-Denis/Diaz....

I can only cringe at the thought

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:35 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Obviously, and distribute his icetime (23+ minutes) among Weber/Gill/St-Denis/Diaz....

I can only cringe at the thought

that made me think of what kind of stuff we'd see around here if our top 6 looked like:

Gorges-Gill
Weber-Emelin
St-Denis-Diaz

one look at that should be enough for anyone to appreciate what an impact Subban has on our defense!

Old
11-27-2011, 01:42 AM
OneSharpMarble

I was just thinking we could have signed Souray. Not only would he save our PP but help our awful defense and lack of toughness. How did we miss out on that?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote