HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract?

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I've thought that about alot of threads that were shut down anyway. Unless someone sent this thread from the future, it looks like its about 3 years premature. mswoof
I think in three years "will", "ever", and "be" will be removed from the title, and "is" will take their place.

The thread is about prediction.

Of course, one can also click the "ignore thread" button.

Old
11-26-2011, 01:10 PM
BringBackStevens

Not starting your 6 million dollar goalie on either games on a back to back certainly isn't a good sign

Old
11-26-2011, 05:45 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I think in three years "will", "ever", and "be" will be removed from the title, and "is" will take their place.

The thread is about prediction.

Of course, one can also click the "ignore thread" button.
you woulda paid him double and you know it.

Old
11-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Jester

Quote:
you woulda paid him double and you know it.
No, I would have waited out the market and gone after Vokoun. Said as much multiple times last season. Never wanted Bryz, cuz I didn't want he contract he was going to get.

Nothing has changed.

Old
11-26-2011, 11:52 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Well it's a transition year ....the goaltender is not immune. He hasn't sucked...he just hasn't shown himself to be the shutdown franchise goalie we thought we were getting and he's pretty mercurial as well. Actually, he's kind of reminding me of Biron quite frankly and Biron could be very vanilla unless he had something to prove like when he was insane against Montreal who beat up on his beloved Nordiques when he was a child. Biron when not on his game with his positioning would also get "lazy."

So far I've been unimpressed with Bryz but it's only the 1st half. Even if he has an average year I'm willing to overlook it somewhat as an adjustment year. It just seems he needs a specific kind of defense to make him successful. I'm not so sure he can do it on his own like a Lundqvist and steal games which many hoped we were getting. Let's hope he is still just trying to get acclimated.

In the meantime, it is good that Bob is around to keep him honest and as I've said before this situation is very reminiscent of the Lindbergh and Frosty rivalry....

I will say..Lavi is going to have to be very very careful in managing both of their egos. At the same time he should do just what he did the last couple of games and go with the hot hand. If Bryz doesn't take it as a challenge and continues to be aloof well then we can start worrying more...but the panic and doom and gloom is a bit much.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:00 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Let's hope he is still just trying to get acclimated.
Let's hope he gets homesick and decides to leave for the KHL.

Old
11-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Unstable

So, if Bob turns into the goalie we thought he could last season, and Bryz becomes a backup, is there any chance he might ever in a million years be willing to renegotiate his contract in order to be tradeable?

Because, man, this is going to be Homers legacy.

Old
11-27-2011, 08:35 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
So, if Bob turns into the goalie we thought he could last season, and Bryz becomes a backup, is there any chance he might ever in a million years be willing to renegotiate his contract in order to be tradeable?

That isn't allowed in the NHL.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:12 AM
tsquad

Quote:

I would assume that if things got like that (sometime several years in the future, they can't truly decide that for the next few years), during the offseason it would be very clear to Bryz that he was not wanted and I would assume that he would waive his NMC. I don't think he'd be so vindictive that he would attempt to screw over the team/organization while sitting in a backup role.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:41 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I don't believe he will ever be worth his contract, due to the ridiculous length of it. No way in Helheim he will be of much use at age 37+. The only way he'll be worth it, like the Pronger trade, is if we get the cup.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:46 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquad View Post
I would assume that if things got like that (sometime several years in the future, they can't truly decide that for the next few years), during the offseason it would be very clear to Bryz that he was not wanted and I would assume that he would waive his NMC. I don't think he'd be so vindictive that he would attempt to screw over the team/organization while sitting in a backup role.
But what good is that? If he isn't worth it to us, why would he be worth it to another team? Yes, they may not have their version of Bob, but a bad contract is a bad contract. They are undesirable to everyone.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:14 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
No, I would have waited out the market and gone after Vokoun. Said as much multiple times last season. Never wanted Bryz, cuz I didn't want he contract he was going to get.

Nothing has changed.
With your finger on the pulse so closely, strange your only on here then. waited out the market and gone after vokoun? who knew vokoun would still be rotting there. we all would have done that with hindsight. I still think bryzgalov is a great goalie going through a bad trasisition. i did want him and i wanted him for years. i was mad we didnt pick him off waivers when we still had biron. The contract sucks in terms of length but cap hit? no. Hindsight tho. i also wouldve started bob the whole playoff. we're fickle with goalies. They knew bob was more than a back up last year. thats the real problem with all this.

Last edited by funghoul: 11-27-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old
11-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Jester

Quote:
With your finger on the pulse so closely, strange your only on here then. waited out the market and gone after vokoun? who knew vokoun would still be rotting there. we all would have done that with hindsight. I still think bryzgalov is a great goalie going through a bad trasisition. i did want him and i wanted him for years. i was mad we didnt pick him off waivers when we still had biron. The contract sucks in terms of length but cap hit? no. Hindsight tho. i also wouldve started bob the whole playoff. we're fickle with goalies. They knew bob was more than a back up last year. thats the real problem with all this.
I wasn't the only one. There were more than a few posters that wanted Vokoun on a cheaper deal... which was easily predictable.

The Flyers never had the opportunity to pick Bryz off waivers.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:45 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
I wasn't the only one. There were more than a few posters that wanted Vokoun on a cheaper deal... which was easily predictable.

That's right, that was our big comeback year. if only we sucked for 5 more minutes. look at the treasures we could've had. at least one of us is happy. i'm glad we have him. he will come around. you will see a number 30 out there kickin ass. even if we have to put his jersey on bob.

Old
11-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Jester

Quote:
That's right, that was our big comeback year. if only we sucked for 5 more minutes. look at the treasures we could've had. at least one of us is happy. i'm glad we have him. he will come around. you will see a number 30 out there kickin ass. even if we have to put his jersey on bob.
Something tells me you are confusing people not liking his contract with people thinking he's a bad goalie.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:

Homer's legacy, but I think Snider made him do it. If Snider would have left Holmgren alone, I think we'd have a Vokoun-Bobrovsky tandem.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:07 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
True, but we could have given ANH something for him, instead they got nothing for him and he went to a division rival.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
True, but we could have given ANH something for him, instead they got nothing for him and he went to a division rival.
That all went down in about five seconds. I'm not sure it was all that well organized by ANH.

We weren't trading for a goalie at that point either.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:21 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Something tells me you are confusing people not liking his contract with people thinking he's a bad goalie.
That something is right.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

just joking....

Carter for Bryz....

Columbus had a bad start and Carter seems not to be happy out there. Mason is an below average goalie the last two years, so Bryzgalov can help them.... Carter can help us on the wing .... maybe ^^ maybe not^^

Uh one moment.....

BRYZ has a full NMC

Still canīt believe how stupid it is.

1. Not only give him a 9 Year contract after get rid of two other long contracts...

2. But also give him a cap hit by over 5.5 per year till he is 40 years old!

3. But that is not enough we also must throw a NMC on him for no reason! Especially when we want to get rid of two guys because of their starting ntcīs just before!

I canīt understand the whole signing as i mentioned before. I canīt understand it in late june and i canīt understand it now.

But he shows nothing to deserve the contract right now, and this add a huge plus on our opinion.

Leighton or Boucher are thrown under the bus, after every single game with the same work ethic and save percentage. But Bryzgalov can do what he want, because Ed Snider throwing big time money at him?! I donīt care about contracts or money, i care about work ethic and performance.

And although Bob donīt play really good he plays a lot better than Bryzgalov. So he deserves to play more than Bryz at this point of the season!!

Look 2 years back.

Boston:

Tim Thomas struggling big time and loose his job to Rask. He plays solid and only looses against the best team in the nhl at this point: The Philadelphia Flyers! The two years later Thomas rocks the whole NHL and had won a vezina trophy!

Maybe Bryzgalov needs a reason to perform better or to train like a beast the next month. And i think Bob can be this reason! So why donīt give pressure to Bryz... He must learn to live up to the expectations. Like Price in Montreal, Luongo in Vancouver (although Luongo struggels every season in the playoffs.)

Stop protecting Bryz only because of the length and the amount of money on his contract

Old
11-27-2011, 02:52 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

i think it's great that bob is pushing bryz and lavi isnt just blindly starting him when he know's he's off his game. I just think the contract is too easy of a target to use to criticize him. We havent seen him long enough to evaluate. when a couple playoff years go by and he still sucks, then i'll be hatin him hardcore. I look around the league and besides lehtonen and thomas, nobody is really blowin anybody's mind. Vokoun has been insanely streaky on an established team with very little turnover so there's no right or wrong at this point. Ballsy moves can always go either way. i wish we still had richards, but i don't think Bryz's contract is that outlandish. We will not end up like the islanders with their buyouts

Old
11-27-2011, 03:47 PM
mja
Negative Creep

I've been far more forgiving of Homer than most of his critics but I haven't liked this contract from the beginning. Investing that much money and that many years into a goalie is just plain risky and I've never been sold on Bryz as the answer to our prayers. With Bob showing signs of being a potential starter, the right move was Vokoun. It just hurt all that much more when he signed for so little with Washington.

I can only hope that my fears prove to be unfounded and that Bryzgalov goes on to have a storied career as a Flyer with at least a SC or two added to his resume. Right now, I'm not hopeful. This contract can blow up badly very, very easily.

Old
11-27-2011, 04:42 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I've been far more forgiving of Homer than most of his critics but I haven't liked this contract from the beginning. Investing that much money and that many years into a goalie is just plain risky and I've never been sold on Bryz as the answer to our prayers. With Bob showing signs of being a potential starter, the right move was Vokoun. It just hurt all that much more when he signed for so little with Washington.

I can only hope that my fears prove to be unfounded and that Bryzgalov goes on to have a storied career as a Flyer with at least a SC or two added to his resume. Right now, I'm not hopeful. This contract can blow up badly very, very easily.
We all just need a CUP. Please God

Old
11-27-2011, 05:42 PM
MsWoof

Lavi's job is difficult because Bob has said he and Bryz aren't friends off the ice. Remember during the summer one of Pannotch's "secret sources" said Bryz had no desire to be a mentor? Seems like that was true. I just hope Bryz doesn't go into a sulk like Ovie and Semin if Bob keeps getting starts. The only way this turns out well is if Bryz picks up his play.

Old
11-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Broad st phantom

I can only pray that Bob being started over him lights some kind of fire under his ass and brings out some sort of competitive nature. So far I haven't been impressed like most fans, but I really want to see Bryz steal some games for us and become a big factor.

Closed Thread