HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The "Erik Cole is ****ing awesome" Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Wonder what happened to all those who said that Martin was right to play Darche over Cole on the PP? That Cole was only effective 5-on-5?

Sounds like he was listening...

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/boone...-last-night-36
That's too funny! Love Cole *****-slapping Martin!

Old
11-21-2011, 05:05 AM
habsjunkie2*

Don't get me wrong, I like Erik Cole, but this thread exist because the habs have lacked any player resembling a power forward for years, now that we have one he's vital to our needs and just what the Dr ordered, before his acquisition many fans claimed on here that size and toughness in the top 6 was never really an issue and was grossly exaggerated. Now that we have him, things have changed.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:10 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like Erik Cole, but this thread exist because the habs have lacked any player resembling a power forward for years, now that we have one he's vital to our needs and just what the Dr ordered, before his acquisition many fans claimed on here that size and toughness in the top 6 was never really an issue and was grossly exaggerated. Now that we have him, things have changed.
actually, what I recall from the toughness thread is we were lacking muscle on the 4th line according to some...

now that we see what Cole can bring, most in favor of muscles on the fourth line (forgot all those who talked about Rupp, Konopka, etc I guess) dont complain much anymore...

guess things did change.

Old
11-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
That's because most of the fans here associate size and toughness to people like George Laraque and Shawn Thornton.

Old
11-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post

now that we see what Cole can bring, most in favor of muscles on the fourth line (forgot all those who talked about Rupp, Konopka, etc I guess) dont complain much anymore...

guess things did change.
You're talking about 2 completely different needs with 2 completely different outcomes.

You guys made a bunch of excuses and brought in a bunch of stats( I have some posters in mind, I'll shut up about it for now) on why we didn't badly need a powerforward. We get a powerforward and it's all good now, the same would happen if we got muscle on the 4th line, obviously for different reasons. If Chris Niel or Shawn Thornton was playing for the Habs, I GUARANTEE we would have Chris Niel is ****ing awesome thread too.

Old
11-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
That's because most of the fans here associate size and toughness to people like George Laraque and Shawn Thornton.
Not true. We needed size and toughness on the top 6, bottom 6 and on the back-end all together. It's the Gauthier defenders that put it all in the same basket. NOBODY ever said that they were fine with the bottom 6 when we signed Cole and nobody was pissed off that we signed Cole instead of a 4th liner either.

Old
11-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
I don't think anyone in their right mind supported Darche on the PP, but I can understand Martin's thinking behind doing it; put a hard-nosed grinder down low to mess with the goalie. It just didn't happen to work out though.

I said this in the GDT last night: saying it was obvious to put Cole on the PP is a guess at best because there's no history to support the move, but it turned out to be a good guess so far and that's all it is.

Saying it was obvious is the luxury of us armchair coaches who happen to get a lucky guess every now and then.
EXACTLY.

Also, if memory serves me right, Darche had success on the PP last season. That's why JM stuck with it for a while this season. Coaches make incremental and systematic changes and they give changes time to work. Coaches generally have more patience than fans. Incidentally, lots of people here were already labelling Cole a bust, the worst UFA signing last summer after 5 games or so. Talk about patience... (And no, it was not because JM put Cole on the PP that the latter started playing well -- it was the other way around.)

Last edited by Poulet Kostopoulos: 11-21-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old
11-21-2011, 01:46 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Not true. We needed size and toughness on the top 6, bottom 6 and on the back-end all together. It's the Gauthier defenders that put it all in the same basket. NOBODY ever said that they were fine with the bottom 6 when we signed Cole and nobody was pissed off that we signed Cole instead of a 4th liner either.
You know very well it is... Konopka is the name we saw the most from you guys so...

along with Neil probably, who EVERYONE agrees is a different type of player than Konopka.

Old
11-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
You know very well it is... Konopka is the name we saw the most from you guys so...

along with Neil probably, who EVERYONE agrees is a different type of player than Konopka.
wait, WHAT? You don't agree that Niel and Konopka are players that would make our bottom 6 tougher? Yeah, one is good on face-off and the other is a tad better player, but their role are basically the same anyways.

I'm talking about the seprate needs on the top 6 and bottom 6 of the line-up.
Having Cole in the top 6 =/ having Niel on the 4th line. You said that since we had Cole people talked less about the 4th line, thus why I said you guys put everything in the same basket.

Old
11-21-2011, 02:07 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
wait, WHAT? You don't agree that Niel and Konopka are players that would make our bottom 6 tougher? Yeah, one is good on face-off and the other is a tad better player, but their role are basically the same anyways.

I'm talking about the seprate needs on the top 6 and bottom 6 of the line-up.
Having Cole in the top 6 =/ having Niel on the 4th line. You said that since we had Cole people talked less about the 4th line, thus why I said you guys put everything in the same basket.
never said that.

one is a goon, nothing else.

Old
11-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
never said that.

one is a goon, nothing else.
Konopka won 60.5% of his faceoffs this season

Old
11-21-2011, 02:23 PM
EveryDay

Cole is awesome but we need a GOON!!!!!!! McGrattan would be perfect on the 4th instead of Darchov

Old
11-21-2011, 02:38 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
Konopka won 60.5% of his faceoffs this season
good for him, still a goon though.

Old
11-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
good for him, still a goon though.
Who would you rather against Boston tonight as the 4th line centre? Nokelainen or Konopka (keeping in mind that Konopka has the better FO%)?

Old
11-21-2011, 03:20 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
Cole is awesome but we need a GOON!!!!!!! McGrattan would be perfect on the 4th instead of Darchov
This is exactly what we need !

Old
11-21-2011, 04:06 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I'd kill to have Chris Neil on this team for a long time. White and Neil would be a hell of a combo.

Regardless, this thread is dedicated to M. Cole and his beastly stache

EDIT:

Tell me that doesn't look like:

Last edited by DekeLikeYouMeanIt: 11-21-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old
11-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I'd kill to have Chris Neil on this team for a long time. White and Neil would be a hell of a combo.

Regardless, this thread is dedicated to M. Cole and his beastly stache
I've always wished we could get Neil, but Ottawa aren't idiots. They won't trade him to a division rival, we'd have to get him round-about.

Old
11-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Who would you rather against Boston tonight as the 4th line centre? Nokelainen or Konopka (keeping in mind that Konopka has the better FO%)?
Nokelainen and it's not even a question.
Didn't we beat the Bruins twice already this year? I wonder how we managed to do that without Konopka and his super faceoff skills..

Konopka sucks. People have to stop bringing him up, it's embarrassing.

Old
11-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Actually, the problem starts when people attribute toughness due to size. We've heard the name of Penner thrown out quite frequently and he's by no stretch of the imagination tough. But he is a big fella, so uninformed people here were speaking of him. He has 0goals this year btw for those that wonder (2 assists in 14gp). What is really comical is some criticized AK and ordered Penner has a replacement which really shows how little they know.
We also heard some go crazy over the Steckel trade, and again, associated him with toughness because of his size.

A guy like Gionta is tough. Even DD is proving himself to have the same type of toughness, that despite his midget size, he isn't scared to crash the net.

Nobody was against bringing in PF, but this is Mtl, so even some of the guys that wanted one, still found a way to complain and say it either was too much money or that he's too old.
Personally, I thought it was a great signing. If we could have signed Jagr as well, I would have been as happy as one could be considering the market.

But to get back on track, I think the problem is when people think anybody over 6' is tough, and anybody under it isn't.

Old
11-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Cole just cannot shave that.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:23 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
easy, the one that can be useful in some way, like lets say, the PK...

Old
11-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Martin went on record in asking how many goals Cole scored on the power play last season, he implied Darch outscored Cole. Checking stats saves you from buying the Hyperbole doled out by the coach.

Old
11-26-2011, 10:42 PM
mrjiggyfly

Erik Cole was outstanding tonight. It was too bad he couldn't find the handle on that lead pass from Patches (But it was cool when they joked about it afterward). But Cole was the best Montreal player by a pretty good amount tonight. He could have had a hatty easily.

Old
11-27-2011, 05:24 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
Martin went on record in asking how many goals Cole scored on the power play last season, he implied Darch outscored Cole. Checking stats saves you from buying the Hyperbole doled out by the coach.
From stats, Darche was far more effective than Cole on the PP last year. Cole had 8 points in substantial PP time, while Darche had 7 points in about 1/6th the amount of PP time (From the top of my head, the TOI may be a little off).

However, Cole has proved he belongs on our PP as he's consistently in our Top-3 forwards. Usually with a mix of Desharnais, Eller, Pacioretty and surprisingly, Travis Moen.

Old
11-27-2011, 05:53 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
From stats, Darche was far more effective than Cole on the PP last year. Cole had 8 points in substantial PP time, while Darche had 7 points in about 1/6th the amount of PP time (From the top of my head, the TOI may be a little off).

However, Cole has proved he belongs on our PP as he's consistently in our Top-3 forwards. Usually with a mix of Desharnais, Eller, Pacioretty and surprisingly, Travis Moen.
anyone trying to compare Darche vs Cole and justify it in any capacity as JM did , well way over yonder ............

I mean we talking one guy with 46 career power play goals...the other has 3 career power play goals....

Rocket science 101

Closed Thread