HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Refs 1 Pens 3 Habs 3

Old
11-27-2011, 12:03 AM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I can't wait to have Markov back and I am sure he can't wait too.
Having him back changes everything and I expect out PP to improve.

I am not sure about others but I just haven't been impress by Eller lately
Maybe I over expected

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:10 AM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
I left right when Pens scored to make it 3-2 near the end of the 2nd period. Never did I expect the Habs to blow this game. Should've been 2 points. I saw the replay on the blown call for the winning goal. That was brutal. That's whistle 100 times out of 100. Horrible officiating that decided the game. I like to think if the Habs score 3 goals they would normally win given their GAA this year. Very disappointing to come home to this result. 1 point out of a possible 4 points against Pennsylvania teams is not what I was hoping for. Philly played badly and the habs found a way to play worse. This game seemed like the habs offense woke up and would win. Guess I was wrong.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:13 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
I can't wait to have Markov back and I am sure he can't wait too.
Having him back changes everything and I expect out PP to improve.

I am not sure about others but I just haven't been impress by Eller lately
Maybe I over expected
Depends on what you expected. Tonight, Eller's line was thrust in a shutdown role, shadowing the Malkin-Neal line (which was more often than not, accompanied by Sid). And Eller finished +1, with his chip/pass leading to Moen's goal.

Good line matching by JM, pitting the 67-51-72 line against Staal, Cooke and Kennedy all night long, which turned out to be a favorable matchup for us.

http://timeonice.com/H2H1112.html?Ga...0331&submit=Go

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:41 AM
LesHabsRock

We really need Cammalleri to start producing. He was brought in for goal scoring and has not been doing it. This is the Cammy we hoped for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W17n_KZPSKU&feature=fvst

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
LOL at this post. You have to play awfully bad for a long time in order to build a team like the Pens. Most Habs HF posters would commit suicide if we ever finished at the bottom of the league for so many years.
not in the mood to go over it again...

but if you look at the roster management of the Pens since 2005, when they landed Crosby through the lottery, you would quickly see that astute asset management has been a major contributor to the Pens SUSTAINED success as one of the leagues best franchises since 2006.

having Crosby/Malkin/Fleury/Staal is obviously a blessing, but in a cap era, building a contending roster around star players is easier said then done.

and even then, the Pens are a bit of a "freak show", in that they happened to suck at the right time to land both Crosby & Malkin...

despite that, the Pens roster is incredibly well built, and even when both of those guys are out of the lineup, they still have a top-tier roster. that's a result of excellent player & cap management, something we haven't seen for so long apparently many people have forgotten what it looks like.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

I had some people over watching the game, so I couldn't get on until just now...but holy ****, talk about a blown call. I had a feeling Letang would be putting that one in, with a blood covered jersey and all. Lets hear it for the refs on this one.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
not in the mood to go over it again...

but if you look at the roster management of the Pens since 2005, when they landed Crosby through the lottery, you would quickly see that astute asset management has been a major contributor to the Pens SUSTAINED success as one of the leagues best franchises since 2006.

having Crosby/Malkin/Fleury/Staal is obviously a blessing, but in a cap era, building a contending roster around star players is easier said then done.

and even then, the Pens are a bit of a "freak show", in that they happened to suck at the right time to land both Crosby & Malkin...

despite that, the Pens roster is incredibly well built, and even when both of those guys are out of the lineup, they still have a top-tier roster. that's a result of excellent player & cap management, something we haven't seen for so long apparently many people have forgotten what it looks like.
Top tier roster with both these guys out?! Absolutely not. Very well coached, yes.
They have made nice moves, no doubt, but they are overhyped.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:17 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Top tier roster with both these guys out?! Absolutely not. Very well coached, yes.
They have made nice moves, no doubt, but they are overhyped.
lol Couldn't agree more.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
lol Couldn't agree more.
haters gonna hate

results trump hype...

they are in 1st overall despite missing Crosby for 21 games...
Malkin for 7 games (1/3 of season)
Michalek & Orpik for 8 & 10 games

and they are still in 1st overall in the league.

last year, with both Crosby & Malkin missing 1/2 of the season, they still finished 2nd overall in Wins and 3rd overall in points.

hype? I think not.

Old
11-27-2011, 01:35 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
haters gonna hate

results trump hype...

last year, with both Crosby & Malkin missing 1/2 of the season, they still finished 2nd overall in Wins and 3rd overall in points.

hype? I think not.
Totally agree. Maybe some cats around here think "top-tier" means it has to have a tonne of sexy names with huge cap hits that they know despite watching few non-Habs games, but if you're rocking 1st place in the standings at the quarter pole (or for most of a season, like last year, as you mentioned) despite missing guys like Crosby and Malkin for extended stretches, you ARE a "top-tier" roster - or at the very least playing like one (which, in and of itself, means people shouldn't be so quick to argue against what you said). I mean, coaches can set you up for success and send the right guys out at the right times, but the players still have to go out and skate against the best the other teams throw at them and come out on top... which they do on the regular.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:54 AM
m00ks

Quote:
haters gonna hate

results trump hype...

hype? I think not.
Bof. I calculated quickly but they were 16-9-4 when both were out of the lineup with an incredible 9 wins in OT and SO which is insanely clutch and doubtfully sustainable in an 82 game stretch. Lots of close games though which means they were still competitive without the duo which can be attributed to very good coaching, as I've acknowledged when I agreed with Kriss.

Clearly not the world beaters that they are with the two.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:05 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Bof. I calculated quickly but they were 16-9-4 when both were out of the lineup with an incredible 9 wins in OT and SO which is insanely clutch and doubtfully sustainable in an 82 game stretch. Lots of close games though which means they were still competitive without the duo which can be attributed to very good coaching, as I've acknowledged when I agreed with Kriss.

Clearly not the world beaters that they are with the two.
yeah, I guess your right, 24 games into the season isn't a big enough sample size, they must only be in 1st overall despite Crosby missing 21g & Malkin 7g (plus Orpik/Michalek, but who are those guys anyways) thanks to crazy, unsustainable luck...

except....

2010-2011 Pittsburgh Penguins:

49wins- 25Losses- 8OTL = 106pts

2nd overall in Wins
3rd overall in Pts

S.Crosby- 41 GP
E.Malkin- 43 GP

Old
11-27-2011, 02:08 AM
m00ks

Quote:
yeah, I guess your right, 24 games into the season isn't a big enough sample size, they must only be in 1st overall despite Crosby missing 21g & Malkin 7g (plus Orpik/Michalek, but who are those guys anyways) thanks to crazy, unsustainable luck...

except....

2010-2011 Pittsburgh Penguins:

49wins- 25Losses- 8OTL = 106pts

2nd overall in Wins
3rd overall in Pts

S.Crosby- 41 GP
E.Malkin- 43 GP
Uhh I WAS talking about the 2010-2011 Pittsburgh Penguins. Without Crosby and Malkin calculated starting Feb 6 when Malkin went down in Feb 4.

And what's up with the sarcasm in virtually every single post you make?

Old
11-27-2011, 02:26 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Does the word "some" mean anything to you?
every player has "some" toughness. Hammer is average.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:35 AM
MarkovsKnee

I was pissed about how the game ended for two reasons: 1. Price had clearly frozen the puck & since the ref was so out of position that he clearly lost sight of the puck, he should've blown the whistle. 2. Despite that Gill & Weber did nothing to prevent the Pens from doing what they wanted in the slot. They didn't box out or take out any Pens player around Price - ridiculous. That pairing sucked tonight. BIG TIME.

Overall, I thought the Habs worked hard. The Patches - DD - Cole line was dominant and Cole alone had 3 chances to close out the game in the 3rd. He was excellent tonight. Eller & Moen were solid. Moen was physical all game & Eller brought his 'A' game defensively. I also thought Nokelainen played a strong, passionate game even though he played less than 8 minutes.

Subban has been criticized a lot this week, but he brought it tonight , as did Gorges. Emelin was solid too, and he had some tough match-ups. Price was all-world.

The most impressive thing about the Penguins though is how hard they are on the puck. They battle for it all over the ice, and they exert pressure on it everywhere. It isn't about physical toughness, it's about puck toughness. They also give each other tremendous puck support.

The Habs don't do that. They might over a couple of periods, or a line will do it for one game but rarely as a team over 60 minutes. Tonight, there were too many soft passes, and not enough second effort from too many players.

Put me on the Cammy - Pleks - Gionta line needs to be broken up wagon. Pleks worked hard tonight, but Cammy & Gionta are both so bad defensively they are taking Pleks down with them.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:36 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Uhh I WAS talking about the 2010-2011 Pittsburgh Penguins. Without Crosby and Malkin calculated starting Feb 6 when Malkin went down in Feb 4.

And what's up with the sarcasm in virtually every single post you make?
ok, so adding last year and this year, they are 20W- 11L- 5OTL...

with a 9-5 record in OT/SO... (assuming your "9 wins in OT/SO" is accurate).

is it really that "unsustainable" for a team consistently among the leagues best to have a 64% winning percentage in OT/SO?

and wouldn't the fact that they managed to keep that record in OT/SO, while maintaining an overall 20-11-5 record with their top 2 players out of the lineup, actually support the notion that they are a very strongly assembler & coached team?

I mean I don't know about you, but imo a team built around the top 2 players/forwards in the league, and who has to fit their remaining players around the 17.4M$ tied up in them, who still finds a way to win in 4 on 4 & SO situations with a pretty solid rate of consistency, is an EXTREMELY well assembled team...

I don't see any argument coming up that really takes away from how well the Pens have done, with OR WITHOUT, their 2 biggest guns (who were both acquired via fortuitous drafts).

imo it's a cop out to dismiss the Pens success as being simply the result of having landed elite talent thanks to high draft picks. Obviously the Pens aren't the same Pens without Crosby/Malkin, but what they've shown especially the past 2 seasons, is that they have assembled a group, much like Detroit, that is still very competitive even if/when they lose those big guns for extended periods of time.

as much injury problems as we had last year, Detroit got hit very hard (datsyuk, rafalski missing significant time, several other important players missing 10+ games)... and yet they still finished 6th overall in Wins & Points.

and the wings haven't had a top pick in over a decade.

there aren't many, but there are a couple of GM's who are clearly doing a much better job with what they have than the rest of the bunch...

Old
11-27-2011, 05:06 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

We got robbed but man Price is lazy. All the talent in the World but he space out all the time like the third goal against Philly. And now sure he covered the puck but he shouldn't have lost is so easily.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
I was pissed about how the game ended for two reasons: 1. Price had clearly frozen the puck & since the ref was so out of position that he clearly lost sight of the puck, he should've blown the whistle. 2. Despite that Gill & Weber did nothing to prevent the Pens from doing what they wanted in the slot. They didn't box out or take out any Pens player around Price - ridiculous. That pairing sucked tonight. BIG TIME.

Overall, I thought the Habs worked hard. The Patches - DD - Cole line was dominant and Cole alone had 3 chances to close out the game in the 3rd. He was excellent tonight. Eller & Moen were solid. Moen was physical all game & Eller brought his 'A' game defensively. I also thought Nokelainen played a strong, passionate game even though he played less than 8 minutes.

Subban has been criticized a lot this week, but he brought it tonight , as did Gorges. Emelin was solid too, and he had some tough match-ups. Price was all-world.

The most impressive thing about the Penguins though is how hard they are on the puck. They battle for it all over the ice, and they exert pressure on it everywhere. It isn't about physical toughness, it's about puck toughness. They also give each other tremendous puck support.

The Habs don't do that. They might over a couple of periods, or a line will do it for one game but rarely as a team over 60 minutes. Tonight, there were too many soft passes, and not enough second effort from too many players.

Put me on the Cammy - Pleks - Gionta line needs to be broken up wagon. Pleks worked hard tonight, but Cammy & Gionta are both so bad defensively they are taking Pleks down with them.
I disagree on Subban and Gorges. They were far from solid and they hadtrouble clearing the zone. If you can review the video, focus on the disallowed Kunitz "goal."

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
We got robbed but man Price is lazy. All the talent in the World but he space out all the time like the third goal against Philly. And now sure he covered the puck but he shouldn't have lost is so easily.
What can I say other than that I pity you.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:40 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
every player has "some" toughness. Hammer is average.
If you can't decipher the difference between Hammer and Webber, then I don't know what to tell you. Hamr plays with a mean streak. He's a ****** on the ice. I'm not saying he's Pronger out there, but he plays far tougher than anyone else in the lineup, period.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 07:45 AM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
i think you forgot the

atleast i hope so...

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 07:55 AM
habsjunkie2*

I love PK subban and think he's one of the best dman in EC, but his diving antics have got to stop. That play he was breaking in on the left side and fell over like he had been shot without hardly being touched was embarrassing to watch imo. He could of got a good shot on net and instead tried to draw a call. He won't get the correct calls against him if he continues to flop around like that.

Someone needs to sit him down and tell him not to be doing this, every time he gets worked off the puck or is in a questionable confrontation he pleas to the refs. It annoyed me big time yesterday, because he doesn't need to do this.

I also find diaz/weber to be serious liabilities on the ice, shift after shift. We can't have both of these guys on the same team, one is fine. Maybe next year, but this year they are in over their heads imho. The 2 of them are so weak in d zone, it's sad. Please Markov/Spacek get back on the ice, hopefully Yemelin remains in the lineup over these 2, but I don't expect it to happen. He'll be number 7 or 8 or 9 when these guys return. He has gotten better and better, is not without flaws, sometimes he doesn't look like he knows where to be, but that seems to be a case of Diaz running around too much imo. His last 3 games Yemelin looks like he will become a top 4 dman imo.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I love PK subban and think he's one of the best dman in EC, but his diving antics have got to stop. That play he was breaking in on the left side and fell over like he had been shot without hardly being touched was embarrassing to watch imo. He could of got a good shot on net and instead tried to draw a call. He won't get the correct calls against him if he continues to flop around like that.

Someone needs to sit him down and tell him not to be doing this, every time he gets worked off the puck or is in a questionable confrontation he pleas to the refs. It annoyed me big time yesterday, because he doesn't need to do this.

I also find diaz/weber to be serious liabilities on the ice, shift after shift. We can't have both of these guys on the same team, one is fine. Maybe next year, but this year they are in over their heads imho. The 2 of them are so weak in d zone, it's sad. Please Markov/Spacek get back on the ice, hopefully Yemelin remains in the lineup over these 2, but I don't expect it to happen. He'll be number 7 or 8 or 9 when these guys return. He has gotten better and better, is not without flaws, sometimes he doesn't look like he knows where to be, but that seems to be a case of Diaz running around too much imo. His last 3 games Yemelin looks like he will become a top 4 dman imo.
TOTALLY AGREE as far as Subban is concerned. And honestly, either he just doesn't want to understand, either that leadership group sucks. The guy stopped playing for 5 seconds 'cause he was surely on the verge of dying there. Made no sense, he needs to freakin grow up and fast. I hate when he does that.

Diaz, for me, needs some AHL seasoning. And maybe for the whole season. Will comeback stronger next year. I think he will be a fine d-man. Weber, well it might be decision time. I fail to see how he'll accept being put at forward or not playing when everybody comes back. So they better make a decision. Either you stick with the youngster.....either you trade him, but you better NOT mess your trade. I believe in Weber. He will eventually become a good player. Again, his play shows a clear lack of confidence. And we ALL know what confidence does to you. If needed, you hope Gauthier finds another Bournival type of trade. Florida might need some D help.....I want Corban Knight....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:29 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
TOTALLY AGREE as far as Subban is concerned. And honestly, either he just doesn't want to understand, either that leadership group sucks. The guy stopped playing for 5 seconds 'cause he was surely on the verge of dying there. Made no sense, he needs to freakin grow up and fast. I hate when he does that.

Diaz, for me, needs some AHL seasoning. And maybe for the whole season. Will comeback stronger next year. I think he will be a fine d-man. Weber, well it might be decision time. I fail to see how he'll accept being put at forward or not playing when everybody comes back. So they better make a decision. Either you stick with the youngster.....either you trade him, but you better NOT mess your trade. I believe in Weber. He will eventually become a good player. Again, his play shows a clear lack of confidence. And we ALL know what confidence does to you. If needed, you hope Gauthier finds another Bournival type of trade. Florida might need some D help.....I want Corban Knight....
I agree, I think they can both be solid contributors in a year or two, but I just see them getting outworked and out muscled way too much. I also find Weber's passing to be way off this year as well, especially on the pp, often hitting shin pads or making weak pinches with poke checks.

I think the roles they've been thrown into here might be the problem, expecting too much too soon. We need to be able to soften their minutes a bit like we do with DD, put them in positions to succeed, offensive zone draws primarily ect ect for now, but concede with the makeup of roster it would be difficult to do.

I would like to see the pairings on the pk

Gill Subban
Yemelin Gorges.

These two are not pk specialists, although they've done a good job as the pk hasn't been a problem, but it leads to their overall game suffering a bit as their utilized in roles they don't fit.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:31 AM
BLONG7

Brutal non call in OT, but guys, the Habs D was as bad as the non call...brutal coverage around our net...Our D needs to get mean around Price...quickly...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote