vCash: 500
Good post and you're obviously right.

Eidyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Teräväinen returned to action today with the A-juniors. Scored 3+1 in a 7-3 whooping of the p.ussycats.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Eidyia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Teräväinen returned to action today with the A-juniors. Scored 3+1 in a 7-3 whooping of the p.ussycats.
Wow... I thought he was supposed to be out of the U20's?

Good to hear though!

Eidyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 03:14 PM
ToBBa

Ristolainen got injured Don't know how bad it is. If he weren't able to play we could replace him with Otto Räty (7g, 0+4 +4)

E: Apparently it's not very serious

Last edited by ToBBa: 11-25-2011 at 03:25 PM.
ToBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 06:45 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBBa View Post
Ristolainen got injured Don't know how bad it is. If he weren't able to play we could replace him with Otto Räty (7g, 0+4 +4)

E: Apparently it's not very serious
Otto Räty should be in the mix.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 08:10 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

93-born defenseman Niklas Friman (TPS) makes his SM-liiga debut against HPK tonight.

Might be a little too late for these games, but with these promising d-men popping out of woodwork this looks damn good for the upcoming years. With the class of '92 out of contention our offence probably won't be as beastlike as it's going to be for this year, but our squad should be far more balanced all around.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:09 AM
ElHefe

Hännikäinen should be in the team. Has played a good game today with Jokerit against Lukko. He is very strong, pretty fast and works hard.

ElHefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:51 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post
Hännikäinen should be in the team. Has played a good game today with Jokerit against Lukko. He is very strong, pretty fast and works hard.
I agree with you 100%. Hännikäinen-Barkov-Ruuttu make it happen!

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:35 PM
ToBBa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
I agree with you 100%. Hännikäinen-Barkov-Ruuttu make it happen!
What line would that be? 4th? I don't see Barkov in the 4th. Yes he's big, but not too physical and I think we have better options for that place. That's good line but, if everyone stays healthy, IMO it doesn't fit in the team.

E: I mean, Barkov deserves to be in the team but I see him in the 2nd or 3rd line, not 4th.

Old
11-26-2011, 02:42 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Hännikäinen looks good but we're pretty stacked on forwards as it has been mentioned many times before. If all healthy, we have eight to nine guys who take preference for top-9 over him and there're at least three other contenders for the last spot. 13th forward maybe?

Old
11-26-2011, 03:57 PM
ChadS

Teräväinen has come back quite well after a minor back injury. Yesterday he had three goals and an assist in the ASM against HIFK and tonight he had 2 primary assists and a +2 with Kiekko-Vantaa in Mestis. He's still not 100% but impressive production never the less.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Hännikäinen looks good but we're pretty stacked on forwards as it has been mentioned many times before. If all healthy, we have eight to nine guys who take preference for top-9 over him and there're at least three other contenders for the last spot. 13th forward maybe?
Is our 4th line locked already? Like ElHefe said: he's big, fast and works hard. I don't see any issues having Hännikäinen grinding in the 4th line.

Donskoi - Mi. Granlund - Pulkkinen
Ma. Granlund - Mustonen - Salomäki
Ruuttu - Barkov - Armia
X - X - Hännikäinen
Teräväinen

Needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 09:36 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
X - X - Hännikäinen
Mika Partanen is very likely to be that first X.

I have to take a rain check on judging Hännikäinen in the 4th. ToBBa here at least seems to think that despite being a big body, he ain't particularly physical and I certainly haven't seen him enough to draw any conclusions of his two-way game. To me he sounds more like a guy who'd be more useful in the upper lines.

Not that I'd have something against him making the final squad, I'm just noting that it's not looking so bright for him.

Last edited by FiLe: 11-26-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old
11-27-2011, 04:58 AM
YARR123

Quote:

I have to take a rain check on judging Hännikäinen in the 4th. ToBBa here at least seems to think that despite being a big body, he ain't particularly physical and I certainly haven't seen him enough to draw any conclusions of his two-way game. To me he sounds more like a guy who'd be more useful in the upper lines.

Not that I'd have something against him making the final squad, I'm just noting that it's not looking so bright for him.
Why do people still keep on believing in Partanen, the guy obviously has got nothing done in the OHL, I'd much rather take a guy like Hännikäinen, who's stock is going upward, unlike Partanen.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:41 AM
Needles

Quote:

Well, I checked Mississauga's thread to find out how Partanen is doing.

Quote:
Partanen has been a mixed bag this year. Obviously, his offensive contributions have been disappointing. The big problem is that he has been getting quality minutes on the top two lines and is not producing. Some nights you get the impression he's going to start putting it together and then on other nights (or even later in the same game), you get the feeling he just hasn't got it at this level.

He has great size...he's an OK skater, has a hard, heavy shot, passes well and isn't useless defensively, but honestly, he has to do more.
He'll be the type that returns to Finland and puts up 20 goal seasons in SMLiga...but to be anything more than that now is doubtful.
He doesn't necessarily seem like a ideal 4th line player either, but it really doesn't matter. It's not like our 4th line has to play against opponent's first line the whole time. They are going to get very limited ice time and they should play simple dump&chase hockey with high energy, finish their checks and get out. That's why I'd prefer big guys who can skate and Hännikäinen has done well in the FEL. Unfortunately Patrik Moisio is injured, he would have been ideal 4th line player. On the other hand, if we have any smaller guys who really can skate, 4th line could be more of a energy line. Has Rautiainen good wheels and can he forecheck?

With 5-7mins of ice time, I'd be comfortable with Partanen & Hännikäinen on the wings. Who should center the 4th line? I have no idea.

Old
11-27-2011, 06:50 AM
ToBBa

Quote:
Who should center the 4th line? I have no idea.
Maybe Ruuttu?

Granlund - Granlund - Pulkkinen
Salomäki - Mustonen - Armia
Donskoi - Barkov - Teräväinen
Partanen - Ruuttu - Hännikäinen

Määttä - Ristolainen
Hakanpää - Pokka
Riikola/Räty - Auvinen

Old
11-27-2011, 07:04 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
He doesn't necessarily seem like a ideal 4th line player either, but it really doesn't matter.
Funny, he still does to me. Big, physical, and "not useless defensively". The fact that people are griping over him as made evident by that post there is because he's been utilized in a top-six role and hasn't been able to rack up the numbers. But that's something you need to blame the coach for, not the player. Nobody's complaining about those abilities that are rather useful for a 4th line winger.

Quote:
Unfortunately Patrik Moisio is injured, he would have been ideal 4th line player.
Agree. But what makes Partanen any (or much) worse?

Quote:
Has Rautiainen good wheels and can he forecheck?
He has the wheels all right. But he doesn't have the body. 171/73 won't do him much good, especially in a NA rink.

I have said earlier that size and physicality are things that shouldn't be sought after overly heavily, and true, those can be overlooked if the player has other capabilities that make him natural for a given role. We already have the forwards with skill and speed, heck, we have overabundance of them. Throwing one wrecking ball into that mix doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. At the moment, Partanen IS our top guy for the role.

Quote:
Who should center the 4th line? I have no idea.
Otto Paajanen or Mikael Kuronen are the first to pop in mind, since both are given regular SM-liiga minutes in the very role. But since we have few extra upper echelon wingers, one option is to put a guy like Hännikäinen or Teräväinen into the 3rd line and put Ruuttu here.

I repeat what I said about Hännikäinen. Everybody's liking what they've seen of his offensive capabilities and overall game, yours truly included, but if we're to use him in a 4th line role... big body? Check. Physicality? Question mark. (Though this might be due to being in a upper-lines role in the club team, I don't know too many Finnish players who are afraid to bang the body when necessary.) Overall two-way game? Question mark. C'mon, somebody say he isn't a liability in these areas and sure, I'm all for giving him the job. (As if my opinion mattered... I'm not Raipe.)

Last edited by FiLe: 11-27-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old
11-27-2011, 01:34 PM
ChadS

I've seen Hännikäinen quite a few times over the years and especially by watching him now in Sm-liiga, he definitely seems to be more of a two-way guy than offensive. He has been productive in the juniors but I don't think he'll ever be a special force offensively. Then again, his game might be different in the WJC compared to Sm-liiga.

If you put him on the top lines, he's a energy guy who works hard and drives the net. IMO his place on Finland U20 is definitely in the bottom-6 and I kind of hope he makes it as well. He skates hard, finishes his checks and has some skill to make plays. 100% effort every single shift, a real coach's dream.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Needles

Quote:
Funny, he still does to me. Big, physical, and "not useless defensively".
I don't have any idea how physical Partanen is. Yeah, he's big. That post didn't say anything about his physicality. And what stuck out to me was "you get the feeling he just hasn't got it at this level". But should he be in the 4th line? Well, I think so. I even had Partanen in my early fantasy rosters. At the moment, I don't see many better alternatives.

Quote:
Agree. But what makes Partanen any (or much) worse?
I wasn't making a comparison. That was more of an observation.

Quote:
Otto Paajanen or Mikael Kuronen are the first to pop in mind, since both are given regular SM-liiga minutes in the very role. But since we have few extra upper echelon wingers, one option is to put a guy like Hännikäinen or Teräväinen into the 3rd line and put Ruuttu here.
I was thinking someone "expendable" and Kuronen could fit the bill. IIRC, Ruuttu-Barkov worked well in Vaasa so I'd keep them together.

Quote:
I repeat what I said about Hännikäinen. Everybody's liking what they've seen of his offensive capabilities and overall game, yours truly included, but if we're to use him in a 4th line role... big body? Check. Physicality? Question mark.
I wouldn't over-analyze the situation so I would just pick the best big winger available (Hännikäinen). That said, I'm not a professional hockey coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBBa
Salomäki - Mustonen - Armia
Donskoi - Barkov - Teräväinen
Partanen - Ruuttu - Hännikäinen
I'm also starting to lean towards having both Granlunds in the the same line, since they do so in HIFK. They aren't the biggest guys around but they play fearlessly and definitely have some serious chemistry. I can see the first line working without any grinders:

Donskoi - Mustonen - Salomäki
Ruuttu - Barkov - Armia
Partanen - Kuronen - Hännikäinen
Teräväinen

Like I said earlier, I would like to keep Ruuttu and Barkov together. And I truly feel that Ruuttu's talents would be wasted in the 4th line. And our top9 really could use his size and grit.

For me Teräväinen would be the ideal 13th forward. He's not perhaps good enough to be a starter in top9 just yet, but he's definitely a potential impact player. Just like Salomäki last year. And he could play in every line in the top9 so guys like Armia, Ruuttu and Mustonen have to bring their A game every night.

Old
11-27-2011, 03:07 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
I don't have any idea how physical Partanen is. Yeah, he's big. That post didn't say anything about his physicality. And what stuck out to me was "you get the feeling he just hasn't got it at this level". But should he be in the 4th line? Well, I think so. I even had Partanen in my early fantasy rosters. At the moment, I don't see many better alternatives.
My image of Partanen is that he's got the body, isn't afraid to put it on the line and isn't a slump defensively. That does indeed sum up as the best alternative right now, at least in my book.

I apologize if I appear to come across too hard, btw. I try to offer an educated opinion, but despite that, it is still just the opinion of one guy.

Quote:
I wouldn't over-analyze the situation so I would just pick the best big winger available (Hännikäinen). That said, I'm not a professional hockey coach
If Chad's evaluation of him is anything to go by, I'm all for Hännikäinen now, the guy seems to be making all the necessary ripples. It'd be nice to hear though how he fares on PK duty.

I don't think I'm over-analyzing, I'd just try to figure if player's general skillset is constant with the role considered.

When I'm building a fantasy lineup, I'm actually trying to emulate the mindset of the coach than going after my personal opinion. That way, it's always more fun to see how off the mark I was when the final roster is released.

That being said...

Donskoi - MIG - Pulkkinen
MAG - Mustonen - Armia
Salomäki - Barkov - Ruuttu
Partanen - Paajanen - Hännikäinen
Aaltonen

would be my current prediction. I've seen some of both Kuronen and Paajanen, and while they're pretty interchangeable on even strength, I do think that Paajanen has the edge on PK. I don't actually know how highly Raipe thinks of a player's ability to contribute to the special teams, but there seems to be some convergence between the policies of U20 and the adult Lions, and Jalonen sure seems to make quite a fuss about it.

Also, no Teräväinen. Why, you must wonder. My current pick for 13th is even more versatile than him, a year older plus he's been far more visible in the U20 games already played.

Last edited by FiLe: 11-27-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old
11-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Zamuz

Salomäki - MiG - Pulkkinen
Armia - MaG - Teräväinen
Ruuttu - Barkov - Donskoi
? - ? - ?

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:41 AM
ChadS

Teräväinen is going to be back with the mens team tomorrow so hopefully he can keep himself there as long as Ben Eaves is injured. Obviously a better chance of making the WJC if he plays with Jokerit (most likely with Filppula) than in Kiekko-Vantaa / A-SM.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Teräväinen is going to be back with the mens team tomorrow so hopefully he can keep himself there as long as Ben Eaves is injured. Obviously a better chance of making the WJC if he plays with Jokerit (most likely with Filppula) than in Kiekko-Vantaa / A-SM.
Well he is playing with Filppula and as usual, nothing is happening for Filppula's line...

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Needles

Richard Ullberg is looking good (minutes, goals against, saves, %):
Quote:
22.11.2011 SaiPa - HIFK 58.26 1 12 - 92,31
25.11.2011 KalPa - SaiPa 65.00 2 24 - 92,31
26.11.2011 SaiPa - KalPa 58.05 3 22 - 88,00
29.11.2011 Ässät - SaiPa 60.00 1 28 - 96,55
I think he deserves a fair chance before the final squad is decided.

Old
11-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Password

Quote:
Richard Ullberg is looking good (minutes, goals against, saves, %):

I think he deserves a fair chance before the final squad is decided.
I don't think he'll get a spot, maybe as a third goalie. We got so many talented goalies available, but the thing is that we don't have a Nr.1 goalie desided yet.

Gibson, Aittokallio, Perhonen, Iilahti, Ullberg, Rajaniemi and Kolppanen. Very interesting...

Password is offline   Reply With Quote