HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Least exciting Hab's team ever?

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 06:20 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Higgins was a GREAT pick, look at some of the other names in that draft and you realize we got a diamond in the rough.
Aslo about Linhart. Ther are no blue chippers in the 2nd round, so you pick a project and try to develop them. Also look at the other prospects picks just after Linhart, not exactly a bunch of Hart trophy winners:

45 Mtl. Canadiens Tomas Linhart
46 Phoenix Dave LeNeveu
47 Ottawa Alexei Kaygorodov
48 St. Louis Alexei Shkotov
49 Vancouver Kirill Koltsov
50 Los Angeles Sergei Anshakov
51 New Jersey Anton Kadeykin
52 San Jose Dan Spang
53 New Jersey Barry Tallackson
54 Chicago Duncan Keith
55 Vancouver Denis Grot
56 Boston Vladislav Yevseyev

Well alot of scouts and people in the know thought Kastitsyn was one of the top talents available, BUT you didn't think so. Your right it is a bad pick, because YOU didn't like it. How does the fact that YOU didn't like it make it a bad pick???

What are you basing this on????? I assume you are a top hockey scout or something???? I seriously doubt you have ever watched any of them play, so I really question your ability to make such an assessment. Please let me know your qualifications for making such an assessment.

I do think the Linhart pick was questionable, but I think they got him cause they had no 3rd round pick, and they must have figured he would have been gone by the 4th round. But LeNeveu or Anskankov would have been a great pick, but you can't go back and say I'd rather have this guy or that guy cause it doesn't work that way. I'm not saying this to you Darz, just in general, as some people just don't understand. What's the point, the picks were made, there's nothing to change that now.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:32 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Yeah, Linhart isn't a blue chipper, but as Dan correctly points out, hind sight never seems to have any value in picking players in the draft. You win some and lose some, and for every bad story, there is a Markov-like story of some good finds in the later rounds that everybody else will be collectively kicking themselves for. It just comes down to the fact that not every good 16-17 year old hockey player works out, and some "mediocre" 16-17 year old hockey players end up with a long and successful career in the NHL. That's what makes the draft so much fun.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:41 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
for you dan

Old
10-30-2003, 06:59 AM
Duff88

Hey Bo, I just read all your posts and here are some things that I can see :

You have Komisarek > Bouwmeester... Talk about a bad pick... You are obviously overrating Komisarek but if you think so, he obviously isn't a bad pick.

Linhart isn't a good pick but everyone makes mistakes, the later rounds were great so it's good anyway.

Kastsitsyn is extremely talented. I don't see why you are bashing him because you don't seem to have any sources in order to say that he is a bad pick...

You are obviously against players from Quebec and Europe, but it shouldn't change your view of players. It's like saying Higgins > Ruutu because Higgins is American.

The worst thing you said is when you quoted Montreal after he said that :

Savard took over in 2000. At that time, Chouinard, Ribeiro, Asham, Garon, Ward, Guren(60th overall), Bashkirov (132nd overall), Buturlin (39th overall), Mikkola( 65th overall), Staal (92nd overall), Sidlov (118th overall), Carkner (58th overall), Dyment (97th), Lindsay (107th), Baumgartner (37th), Higgins (18th), Ryan (8th) and Hainsey and Hossa a month before Savard came on board.

Savard does 3 drafts, Komisarek 7th, Perezhogin 25th, Plekanec 71st, Milroy, 37th, Higgins 14th, Ferland 212th, Kastsitsyn 10th, Urquhart 40th, Locke 113th

And then you answered Not ONE of his draft picks is playing in the NHL. 0, NADA.

These guys are less than 21 years old. Spezza didn't play much in the NHL last year, HE IS A BUST!

When you look at prospects, it's sure that there are 90% of chances that they won't make it to their top-end potential. But when you say that Savard was the worse GM ever after he brought Zednik, Bulis & Perezhogin for Linden, Zubrus & Paetsch ( Who re-entered the drat ). After he putted together the 3rd best prospect groups in the league in 3 years. After he got rid of Darby, Poulin, Bashkirov, Lind, Witehall who were top line players in 00-01.

I don't get your point at all...

Old
10-30-2003, 07:09 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
This post is ridiculous on several levels.

Firstly, do you not remember the many years Montreal spent with Craig Darbys, Patrick Poulins, Witehalls, etcetera throughout the lineup? I remember many nights where Darby was a top two line center. That was when the Canadiens were filled with AHL talent.

My thoughts exactly. Bandwagon jumpers!!!! Man, they lost three in a row. Surprised? The season is 82 games.

The Darby years were painful...Matt Higgins anyone?

Wait until January before you fire the coach, trade Theo and Koivu, and set the Belll Center on Fire.

Old
10-30-2003, 07:48 AM
Habs fan of the 70's

vCash:
Just as a reminder.

Andre Savard and Madden were hired as consultants in Houle's last year as GM. So Hainsey and Hossa were probably picks of Savard and Madden given their previous choices for Slovakian and US College players.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:03 AM
Habsfunk

I think the problem is that Rejean Houle set the bar so low that most of us don't expect much from our GMs these days. Savard was an average GM. His drafting is great, his trades are decent for the most part, his contracts stink. But in all three regards he's miles above Houle.

Old
10-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Bo

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfunk
I think the problem is that Rejean Houle set the bar so low that most of us don't expect much from our GMs these days. Savard was an average GM. His drafting is great, his trades are decent for the most part, his contracts stink. But in all three regards he's miles above Houle.
That is ridiculous, Rejean Houle cut salary at a time when he was ordered to, and still feilded a much more interesting and competetive team by virtue of finding cheap free agent gems like Oleg Petrov, Sergei Zholtok, Eric Weinrich, Jeff Hackett, etc. who perfpormed way beyond expectation.

Savard has wasted huge amounts of money to reward broken down Francos like Audette, Brisebois, Perreault, Quintal, etc. and would have wasted much more on the likes of Turgeon and Lapointe if he was able. The two biggest FA flops in recent history, and Andre the Intellectual Midget offfered both MORE money than they signed for elsewhere.

And what is with these fat, stupid looking coaches Therrien, Julien....is there a factory in northern Quebec that turns them out?

Old
10-30-2003, 10:28 AM
J-D

Wow, that post was way overboard (especially the last line). Watch out.

Old
10-30-2003, 10:42 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo
That is ridiculous, Rejean Houle cut salary at a time when he was ordered to, and still feilded a much more interesting and competetive team by virtue of finding cheap free agent gems like Oleg Petrov, Sergei Zholtok, Eric Weinrich, Jeff Hackett, etc. who perfpormed way beyond expectation.

Weinrich was not a free agent!
Hackett was not a free agent!
You do not recall the Tbo, Manson to chicago trade?????

Your ignorance, if not already proven has been cemented.

Old
10-30-2003, 11:53 AM
FTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo

Savard has wasted huge amounts of money to reward broken down Francos like Audette, Brisebois, Perreault, Quintal, etc. and would have wasted much more on the likes of Turgeon and Lapointe if he was able. The two biggest FA flops in recent history, and Andre the Intellectual Midget offfered both MORE money than they signed for elsewhere.

And what is with these fat, stupid looking coaches Therrien, Julien....is there a factory in northern Quebec that turns them out?
Quebec > YOU...Happy now? I'll agree with you that there are stupid from Quebec, but you just proved there are stupid people from wherever you live

Old
11-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Thibaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo
Drafting Komisarek #7 overall was a no brainer, everyone had him rated at least that high. Higgins was an O.K. pick, but they lost any points there by flushing the Linhart pick down the toilet. No one thought Linhart was going to be anything special except apparently the resident Franco geniuses. .

I think there were several better choices than Kostitcyn at #10 overall last summer. That was not a good pick, he isn't any better than Perezhogin. Lots of great American kids available instead of Kostitcyn, Urquhart and Lapierre who won't even get a sniff of the NHL.

But having Bob Gainey as G.M. is a start, and once he gets rid of more of the pur laine deadwood things should improve.
This is racism. You should be banned from HF, nobody needs this kind of crap.

Old
11-01-2003, 12:12 PM
Wildbeliefs

Why is this thread still active?

Old
11-01-2003, 01:39 PM
Thibaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
Why is this thread still active?
This is a good question.

Old
11-01-2003, 04:13 PM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo
Drafting Komisarek #7 overall was a no brainer, everyone had him rated at least that high. Higgins was an O.K. pick, but they lost any points there by flushing the Linhart pick down the toilet. No one thought Linhart was going to be anything special except apparently the resident Franco geniuses. .

I think there were several better choices than Kostitcyn at #10 overall last summer. That was not a good pick, he isn't any better than Perezhogin. Lots of great American kids available instead of Kostitcyn, Urquhart and Lapierre who won't even get a sniff of the NHL.

But having Bob Gainey as G.M. is a start, and once he gets rid of more of the pur laine deadwood things should improve.
Whoa whoa whoa!
First off I think you should stop the racist comments.
Why do you think they picked Kastsitsyn last year? My guess would be because they have a solid group of prospects, but neded a potential gamebreaker, and figured that Kasty was the high risk/high return person they were looking for. Also, saying that neither him, Urquhart, or Lapierre will make the NHL is ludicrous. Yes, it's a question of time whether they make it to the NHl or not, but the odds are in their favour.
I don't know where you get off from putting down this team, but I'd really wish you'd stop.

Closed Thread