HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best and Worst Vancouver media guy past or present

Old
11-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

vCash: 500
I don't know if he deserves the title of worst, but John McKeachie was sure hard to watch.

Though I much prefer him in his new role.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I don't know if he deserves the title of worst, but John McKeachie was sure hard to watch.

Though I much prefer him in his new role.
:
i like mckeach as a person, but I remember one time CBC had him as a panellist on the satellite hot stove and it was absolutely painful...just rattled off statistics for a few minutes along with a couple of flat jokes

i think dan russell gets a bit of a bad rap...he's been on the radio far longer than anybody else in the city and can have some quality segments, especially with squire barnes...listening to him every night during the 94 run was a formulative childhood experience, especially the neverending show after game 7 in new york...bit sad how he can't stop ranting about the other "house radio" station but if you can block that out there's some quality stuff from time to time

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Anodyne

Good:

Ray Ferraro (he lives here... good enough)
Farhan Lalji
Rick Ball
Kristin Reid
Dan Murphy
Iain MacIntyre
John Shorthouse

Eh:

Gary Valk
Joey Kenward
Jason Botchford

Bad:

Dave Pratt
Tony "The G-Man"
Neil MacRae
John Garrett
Ben Kuzma
Jeff Patterson
Moj or whatever he's called

Last edited by Anodyne: 11-27-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:33 AM
The Poacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavaxa2 View Post
I always enjoyed Tom Mayenknecht's show, and for PBP, Jim Robson.

Worst... hmm, there's so many to choose from, maybe Shane Foxman?
Haven't heard his show before but this is a guy who talks about running a proffessional franchise properly and yet ran one into the ground with the Vancouver Ravens from 00' to 03'.

The Poacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:10 AM
Keke Mortsons helmet

Best:

Jim Taylor
Jim Robson
Al Davidson
Grant Kerr

Worst:

Dan Russell
Neil Macrae

Keke Mortsons helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:26 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
You just know the writers from the Sun/Province are going to be reading this. Maybe the Team 1040 too.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 07:45 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
You just know the writers from the Sun/Province are going to be reading this. Maybe the Team 1040 too.
I wish both would hire talent, not "personalities". Talent will showcase personality, but if you can't write or articulate, why should I listen or read?

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Bruizer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
i like mckeach as a person, but I remember one time CBC had him as a panellist on the satellite hot stove and it was absolutely painful...just rattled off statistics for a few minutes along with a couple of flat jokes

i think dan russell gets a bit of a bad rap...he's been on the radio far longer than anybody else in the city and can have some quality segments, especially with squire barnes...listening to him every night during the 94 run was a formulative childhood experience, especially the neverending show after game 7 in new york...bit sad how he can't stop ranting about the other "house radio" station but if you can block that out there's some quality stuff from time to time
I remember mckeachie on 1040 always messing up on the phone board

Bruizer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:17 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack57 View Post
Wow. Not a single mention of Jason Botchford? Ever catch his Studs (said with a lisp) and Duds on TSN? The guy is the TMZ / Perez Hilton of hockey. His head bobbles back and forth and he has such a de-masculanated voice it's unnerving to watch.
This... I don`t know why but it bothers me to no end the way he bobbles his head around like that. Super Creepy.

Last edited by UBCsalmonslayer: 11-27-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Botchford is Creepy
UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

If we're including announcers, best of all time for me is Jim Robson. Great voice, and man did he ever know the game. Shorthouse and Hughson are pretty good, too.

As far as writers...ehh. There's not really any that I truly like/dislike. Willes and Gallagher can go a little overboard in either direction from time to time, and Botchford tries to put forth the notion that he has an inside scoop where he clearly does not. Dave Pratt was absolutely awful.

Dan Murphy is probably the best guy we've had cover the Canucks and give us info about the team.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:58 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
i get pretty annoyed with john garrett always talking about food

MeatTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatTornado View Post
This is such a massive pet peeve for me. He's an ex-althete and colour commentator, not an actor. I get so embarrassed for him listening to him going on about the featured Safeway product. It's obviously something he's expected to do.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Bruizer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatTornado View Post
I also hate how he brings up that he has an english degree! Garrett fails to mention it is from Sprott Shaw community college

Bruizer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Anodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Dan Murphy is probably the best guy we've had cover the Canucks and give us info about the team.
I agree. When you can get past the image of a 40-year-old with a faux-hawk, he's pretty honest and rational, and he only feeds insider information that might mean something instead of spitting out absolutely everything he overhears.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 03:05 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
I actually really enjoy the tandem of Shorthouse and Garrett. Shorthouse is obviously the better of the two and the more professional, but of late JG has been complimenting him nicely.

The thing is, Garrett is about as big of a homer as you get out there, but he's fun about it and never mean-spirited. Compare that with some other broadcast teams. You'll never hear Garrett laughing at an opponent being injured or anything like that. The most vitriol we get out of him is a sarcastic remark at the refs.

Listening to the two of them is like listening to a couple of pals break down the game. You can tell they're legitimate friends. They rib each other, they argue, and they call each other out when they make mistakes.

And yes, I laugh every time Garrett makes a food critique and Shorty makes a fat joke.

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 03:06 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

The fauxhawk is pretty funny. Obviously a kid at heart.

Who was the Indonesia-Canadian kid in the early days of AM1130? He used to practically YELL through the radio.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I don't mind Garrett; his voice doesn't bother me like some colour analysts, and he perioidcally provides good insight. He does, however, get hopelessly sidetracked in meaningless discussions from time to time and he is a raging homer. To the point where--even as a fan--it is sometimes embarassing to listen.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 03:40 PM
PearJuice*

Good:

Shorty
Taylor
Ferraro

OK:

Garrett
Valk
McIntyre
Murphy
Barnes

Bad:
Pratt
Russell
Gallagher
Botchford
Darling

The worst offenders are Pratt and Russell. Not only are they retarded, but they think they are bigger than the sports they are covering.

PearJuice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 03:58 PM
crobro

the good

paul carson
don taylor
al davidson
eric dwyer

the bad

jeff patterson
steve physiok
chriss hebb
shanel pratap

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Steveorama

Been watching Canucks media since 1970.
Best is Jim Robson, easily.
I like Hughson, Shorthouse and Don Taylor, too.
Greg Douglas was always interesting and had some great looks inside the game.

McKeachie was the absolute worst sports broadcaster I have ever seen. He made Bernie Pascal look like Walter Cronkite, and that took some doing.

Regarding Ed Willes, I have met him, and he is even more of an a**h*** in real life than on paper.
Clancy Loranger was great. Guys who got a rough ride here, like Tom Larscheid and Tony Gallagher, are actually pretty insightful.
My two cents.

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:23 AM
wienerdog

I'm amazed it took 45 posts for Larsheid's name to even come up, and that no-one has mentioned either of Barry MacDonald or Scott Rintoul.

Best: Jim Robson

Worst: David Pratt
HM: Jeff Patterson b/c of that voice.

wienerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:33 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Best current: Farhan Lalji

Worst Current: Gallagher.

11-28-2011, 03:53 AM
MS

Pratt is the worst. Nobody else is able to so effectively combine such a total lack of insight and knowledge into sports with such an exceedingly slimy, unlikeable personality. How that piece of crap has had such a long career is utterly beyond me.

Whatever you can say about guys like Russell and Gallagher, they're actually intelligent human beings. Biased as hell, but capable of saying something insightful on occasion.

Russell in particular has wasted what should have been a great career by drowning himself in his own bitterness. Went from being maybe the best media guy in this market in the early 1990s to utterly unlistenable.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:28 AM
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Pratt is the worst. Nobody else is able to so effectively combine such a total lack of insight and knowledge into sports with such an exceedingly slimy, unlikeable personality. How that piece of crap has had such a long career is utterly beyond me.
He's entertaining.

I guess I just don't listen to 1040 enough for any of the personalities to really get on my nerves too much. I'll flip it on at different times of the day while I'm driving. If they're taking calls I just turn it off right away - that's one thing I can't listen to. The people calling in either can't talk properly or just have stupid things to say (or some combination of the two).

That Seeking Stanley garbage they were running after playoff games last year had to have been the worst Canucks-related media production I've ever seen. Absolute embarrassment to the city and the team. I'd usually watch the first 10 minutes or so just for a laugh and then turn it off because I couldn't stand it anymore. The only good thing they had going was Cliff Ronning and they seemed much more interested in making fools of themselves than actually letting him talk.

Shane Foxman gets my vote for worst ever.

Type Not Specified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:31 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
DT and Ferraro are the best, I'd have to say.

Worst are most of the rest, I don't count broadcasters who don't or didn't have radio shows as media guys.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote