HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Has Minor Hockey Changed?/Disgusting Minor Hockey Story

Old
11-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

vCash: 50
Has Minor Hockey Changed?/Disgusting Minor Hockey Story

I'm a referee, and I did a novice game, one of the few I get to do each year.

It was Novice (Grade 2/3) House A, so naturally all the kids are going to the NHL (). Anyways, so there was a loose puck in front of the net, and one of the kids got in a pretty good whack at the goalie. It wasn't a penalty, just a kid doing what's natural and digging for a puck until he hears a whistle. Anyways, so I was the back official on the play. As the little kid was passing by the other teams bench, the coach yelled "You're not going to be happy if you do that again".

I immediately gave him a bench minor and was very tempted to go straight to a match but I know it's very hard to suspend a coach when the proper elevation of events (For players: 2,10,Game | Coaches: 2, Game).

I was also reffing with a first year official who did a really good job, but as we were going to the dressing room told the kid to "read the rulebook".

Why don't parents understand that it's just a game. I mean both of those things in my mind, are completely ridiculous. I'm a referee, and I did a novice game, one of the few I get to do each year.

It was Novice (Grade 2/3) House A, so naturally all the kids are going to the NHL (). Anyways, so there was a loose puck in front of the net, and one of the kids got in a pretty good whack at the goalie. It wasn't a penalty, just a kid doing what's natural and digging for a puck until he hears a whistle. Anyways, so I was the back official on the play. As the little kid was passing by the other teams bench, the coach yelled "You're not going to be happy if you do that again".

I immediately gave him a bench minor and was very tempted to go straight to a match but I know it's very hard to suspend a coach when the proper elevation of events (For players: 2,10,Game | Coaches: 2, Game).

I was also reffing with a first year official who did a really good job, but as we were going to the dressing room told the kid to "read the rulebook".

Why don't parents understand that it's just a game. I mean both of those things in my mind, are completely ridiculous.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Ozz

vCash: 500
Seems in the leagues I've played in, the better the competition the bigger the egos.

BTW you repeated your first few paragraphs.

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Seems in the leagues I've played in, the better the competition the bigger the egos.

BTW you repeated your first few paragraphs.
Woops haha.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:54 PM
jmon13

My little sister plays squirt A travel, and was in a tournament. They were playing some team and the reffing wasn't exactly consistent or very good, but they were not favoring one side or anything, they just sucked (no offense to any refs, but tournament refs around New England for youth hockey suck or are great, there is very little middle ground for these tournaments).
There was a checking penalty called on my sisters team when 2 kids collided, decent call, the kid was being a little too aggressive, played the body and the puck, but nothing even remotely dirty or dangerous. Similar hit happens later in the game no call, same kid on my sisters team initiating the contact. Less than a minute later they call a penalty for checking for even less contact then the call they just let go. The other teams coach loses it, starts screaming at the refs. Gets a 2 minute bench penalty.

Some other call happens later in the game (some hook, which they weren't calling for either team all game before then), the other teams coach goes nuts, gets ejected, puts his team down 5-3 for the second time. The coach goes up in the stands instead of leaving the game, and starts screaming at his kids to start hitting. The ref had to stop the game and gave him another penalty. It was just stupid. The worse part is they let the coach, coach again in the tournament.

I understand getting angry with refs at any level, and arguing calls, but threatening kids and telling your kids to go after players for no reason is just unreal. And if that happens even once, the coach should be banned from coaching for a year.

jmon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Subnordi

Today in my Bantam game, one of our players was off the ice after the game was finished, in the tunnel going towards the dressing room, removed his helmet and was suspended for one game, so after we were leaving we all wore our helmets to our cars, and were threatened to have the cops called on us, some people just aren't in it for the fun of the game.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:51 PM
BLBarmada

Today my peewee team won 1-0 in OT, 1 of the other teams players didn't shake hands at all, 2 others snubbed us( the coaches)....,

**** happens, but I didn't appreaciate it.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:53 PM
shawn1331

Played in a tournament this weekend and the stuff the refs say is just horrible. I play midget house(15-17 years old). We all know we're not gonna make it to even the OHL ever so we play for fun, but the refs and coaches from the other teams say some horrible things. A kid on my team wears an old 1980's cooper bucket spray painted blue and silver with a college cage for ***** and giggles and the coaches are yelling at him calling him a poor farm boy(we live in the middle of nowhere) and so on.

Then at varsity our goalie got hacked at so he told the ref to watch out for that, the ref started screaming at him telling him he was **** and no good at hockey. A few seconds later the other team comes in and rifles one off his mask and over the glass and the ref goes beszerk yelling at him "see you can't even catch the f**cking puck you p*nsy". He never even left our zone for a few minutes even though the play was in the other teams end.

It's brutal

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:43 PM
vapor11

Hockey is an emotional sport..suck it up buttercup

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:29 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnordi View Post
Today in my Bantam game, one of our players was off the ice after the game was finished, in the tunnel going towards the dressing room, removed his helmet and was suspended for one game, so after we were leaving we all wore our helmets to our cars, and were threatened to have the cops called on us, some people just aren't in it for the fun of the game.

why was he suspended that makes no sense what so ever

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:12 AM
Subnordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
why was he suspended that makes no sense what so ever
I dunno, apparantly you're supposed to wait until you get to the dressing room, refs had it in for us entire tournament

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Stickmata

I was sitting in the stands last year watching a PeeWee Travel B game between the 'Junior' XXX teams of two west coast NHL teams, right between the parents section of each team. The kids on the ice, save for one kid, were basically in-house level in terms of skills and the hockey was really bad. Of course that didn't stop the parents from getting way too into it and eventually start screaming at each other and making fun of each other and the 12 year old kids on the other team.

I was between the groups and just started laughing and shaking my head at both of them. One of the parents made a snide comment toward me, thinking I was for the other team and I told him "no, I just think its hilarious that you people are making fools of yourselves over a youth hockey game with teams two that couldn't beat my kid's in-house team..."

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:29 PM
TheOtter

These seem appropriate...

TheOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

I coach a Tyke Select team. 7 Year olds in there first foray into travel hockey.

Here is an excerpt from my introductory email to the parents at the start of the year:

"Unfortunately, I must mention the next bit. Please let this be the only time this year it is discussed. We expect that all coaches, players and parents be ambassadors for the team and practice good sportsmanship at all times. There is no good reason ever to yell or scream at players or officials in Tyke hockey. We expect everyone to set a good example for the kids at the arena."

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:36 AM
ean

To be honest of all sports I played growing up, youth travel hockey probably exposed me to the trashiest people.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 05:56 AM
Gino 14

I've reffed in USA Hockey for a number of years and USSF and highschool soccer and hockey fans and coaches are by far the worst bunch of idiots I've ever dealt with. The fans all think the know the rules and that their kid is a superstar and the coaches have some of the worst attitudes and behavior. I blame it on USA Hockey for not taking a stronger stance on dealing with idiot coaches and parents, allowing them to continue and incite others. In soccer the solution is easy, if parents are out of line, you throw them out, if coaches are idiots, you throw them out. You have the backing of the leagues and officials and that's usually pretty much the end of it. In USA Hockey, it's so bad that the turn over of officials is staggering. No young kid wants to go out and be torn to shreds by an adult coach, it's too much for them and they end up quitting. Until USA Hockey takes a real stance, it's only going to continue to get worse.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:48 PM
BLBarmada

USA has it easy, in Quebec it's awful, especially the Lac St Louis region, some parents are just awful, some refs are unbelievable.

My organization, is one of the worst for politics, rich parents, spoiled brats, etc. It's a mess, and they have trouble finding non parent coaches.

Its getting pretty bad down here, there's a reason Quebec ain't producing hockey players.

It's becoming to much of a buisness, too competitive and no longer any fun.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:18 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnordi View Post
now that's funny **** right there

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Eamonn*

I've got a bunch of funny stories, don't remember them in great detail but yeah. This first one is the one incident I really remember though. Took place in Bantam AAA a few years back.

Played against some team out in the middle of nowhere.. they were really chippy (as are all the middle-of-nowhere teams). Eventually it started getting really heated. Parents from the other team were screaming at kids on the ice, mainly my team, calling us bad and stuff. Then our parents started screaming back at the other teams parents.. one of our parents then called the other parents a bunch of fat farm plowers. Other teams parents started getting all pissed, lead to a little fight in the stands. Both people were ejected..

fast forward to near the end of the game, kid on my team (really nice little kid who never did anything bad) two hands a kid on the other team in the head. I was just like WHAT THE, lead to a huge scrum. Tons of ejections..

Game ends, I forget who won.. anyways so as we all go down the hallway, we realize we have to pass by the other team down a little hallway to get to our room. So as we do so, some dude on the other team starts talking **** to this girl on our team (yes we had a girl on our team in bantam aaa ), big kid on our team bunches his head, had a helmet on luckily, his head snapped back and hit the wall. Huge ass brawl went on in the hallway, everyone involved lol. It was pretty nuts.

Another thing that I thought of while writing this isn't really to do with fighting or anything.. but yeah. This was in the finals of a tournament, same year.

So its the finals of the tourny, game ends up going to a shootout, 3 shooters. They choose to shoot first. They miss, we miss, they score, we score, then they scored. The ref then said they won the tourny, we all freaked out as we only got to shoot twice and they had three shots. The ref said thats how sudden death shootouts worked, parents flipped out. We got the tournament rulebook and it clearly showed that the shootout worked the same as it does in the NHL today.

Tournament organizer comes out and pretty says to shut the **** up. Other team gets handed the trophy and gold medals.. we were so pissed, especially becuase of how far away the tourny was.

/coolstory :p

Eamonn* is offline   Reply With Quote