HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Staal and Girardi

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2011, 02:13 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
While I think that Staal is a bit overrated, he's not somone I am looking to trade anytime soon.

I look at Staal as a stay at home defenceman that can keep opposing teams honest in the sense that he can pull a move here and there to surprise guys.

Having defensive presences like Staal, Girardi and Sauer on the defence will allow the more offensive minded guys like Dizzy, McMonster and Erixon freedom to explore and develope their offensive game.

Having Staal is a good problem to have if you are viewing it as a problem in the first place.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:14 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
You know what was pretty awesome yesterday? Micheletti mentioned that Tortorella was using Girardi and McD for Giroux, and then using Sauer for Briere. Now, imagine getting Staal back, and not having to hold your breath when any D pairing is on the ice.

Oh, and one other thing...Girardi has reached the stage of development this year, that Staal was at last year. Staal is three years younger than Girardi, and three years of development when talking about D-man is a long time. Just sayin'.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:15 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

It's A LOT easier to find a top-6 forward via free agency or the draft than a top-pairing defenseman.

Do you watch the Rangers on a nightly basis? The bottom pairing is atrocious. Can't handle the puck, always stuck in their own zone, pinching at the wrong times. Why do you think Girardi leads the league in TOI? The bottom guys cannot be trusted. Girardi's gonna be worn out by February. He needs less ice time and hopefully the return of Staal will remedy this.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Marc Staal @ his $3.975 mil cap hit with his defensive play is one of the best value contracts in the league... Girardi's contract too.... To move either of these players would be asinine at this point....
Agree. At this point in time, it wouldn't make financial sense.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
You need a reality check... Marc Staal is one of the best shutdown defenseman in the league.... Don't take it from Ranger fans, go ask fans of other teams how they feel about his game.... You obviously can't trust any opinion from Ranger fans since you are so convinced that the player's reputation is 100% because of his last name...

How does our defensive depth look if one of Girardi, Sauer, McDonagh, or MDZ suffers a serious injury? Who's going to round out the top 4, Woywitka? Eminger? Stralman? How about Erixon? Mike Sauer has an extensive injury the history.... The minute we lose one of our current top 4 defensemen to injury, this team will be in rough shape on the back end...
I'm not saying that any of our core defensemen should be traded any time soon. This is all a moot point since Staal isn't healthy at this time. All I'm saying that if certains IFS come to fruition(Erikson, Mcilrath, etc, then it would be a salary cap issue to move one of our defenseman. I'm also not saying that Staal's reputation is 100% based on his last name; but it sure doesn't hurt that he has two more famous brothers who are better players, does it? I'm not alone in my opinion around here that Staal is overrated, believe me!

Old
11-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
You know what was pretty awesome yesterday? Micheletti mentioned that Tortorella was using Girardi and McD for Giroux, and then using Sauer for Briere. Now, imagine getting Staal back, and not having to hold your breath when any D pairing is on the ice.

Oh, and one other thing...Girardi has reached the stage of development this year, that Staal was at last year. Staal is three years younger than Girardi, and three years of development when talking about D-man is a long time. Just sayin'.
Nonsense. Girardi was as good as Staal was last year. In fact, he was always there throwing his body in front of shots and cleaning up Staals mindless turnovers.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:33 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
I'm not alone in my opinion around here that Staal is overrated, believe me!
That doesn't make it correct.

Staal is one of this team's best, and most important players...I don't see how anyone can deny that; with the emergence of Del Zotto, McDonagh, and Girardi, this team's defensive depth gets even better - 5 legitimate 20+ minute defenseman, along with upcoming young defenseman like Erixon and McIlrath - with them mentioned, there is little chance that either will be near Staal's level. They should both be good players, but if either become 27+ minute defenseman, like Staal is, I'd be surprised.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
11-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
I said only if certain things happen. I didn't say we should trade him the minute he is declared heathy enough to play. You can't fathom all of this trade Staal bs, or Staal is overrated? Consider yourself part of a large group of fans who post here that have unconditional love for Marc Staal, the 3rd best of the 3 brothers who play in the NHL.
No I just have the ability to recognize greatness in a player. Staal is a great shutdown defenseman with a good offensive side.

Its kind of hard to compare Staal to his two elder brothers who both play offense.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Mugless

I could swear that Staal was an All-Star last season.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:49 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugless View Post
I could swear that Staal was an All-Star last season.
You must have been dreaming. The guy is so overrated!!

Once he is ready to come back (hopefully soon), I would ease him back in the lineup:

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Sauer
MDZ - Eminger/Woywitka

I guarantee you though that we will see a noticeable dip in MDZ's game if this happens. Sauer is a great partner to have, he is just so solid positionally (twss). That's ok though. MDZ will still see ample power play time and he's looked good on the point recently.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:49 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Why? Good question. How about because he's not our best defenseman, has limited upside especially offensively, doesn't always make the best reads and decisions and because his name is Staal, he might actually bring back a fairly good return? Something to think about but only if our present group of d-men continue to develop and play well!
You are out to lunch dude. He is absolutely our best defenseman when healthy.

I will give you that Girardi and McD are generally better offensively but neither is nearly as good as Staal in the defensive zone. And that isn't a slight to Girardi/McD, both are very good and at times elite. But Staal is a top-10 player in the league defensively.

11-27-2011, 02:59 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

People around here seem to have short memories. Staal has been our best defenseman in recent years and hasn't even turned 25 yet. He's on great contract value wise and still has unfulfilled potential. He will be a mainstay on this team in the future and for good reason.

Old
11-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
That doesn't make it correct.

Staal is one of this team's best, and most important players...I don't see how anyone can deny that; with the emergence of Del Zotto, McDonagh, and Girardi, this team's defensive depth gets even better - 5 legitimate 20+ minute defenseman, along with upcoming young defenseman like Erixon and McIlrath - with them mentioned, there is little chance that either will be near Staal's level. They should both be good players, but if either become 27+ minute defenseman, like Staal is, I'd be surprised.
Both Erixson and Mcilrath have to make it as nhl defenseman first, don't you think? If they do, they don't necessarily have to be 20+ minute a night defenseman, only your first pairing does. To repeat, if 2 to 3 years down the road both guys pan out as solid nhl defensemen, then trading any one of our defensemen be it Girardi, McDonagh, Staal or MDZ would be a salary cap issue and since Marc Staal's name is Staal and he is so highly thought of around these parts and thruout the league as "A Top Shutdown Guy", then it stands to reason he would be the ideal player to trade in order to maximize our return, right??

Old
11-27-2011, 03:04 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
You must have been dreaming. The guy is so overrated!!

Once he is ready to come back (hopefully soon), I would ease him back in the lineup:

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Sauer
MDZ - Eminger/Woywitka

I guarantee you though that we will see a noticeable dip in MDZ's game if this happens. Sauer is a great partner to have, he is just so solid positionally (twss). That's ok though. MDZ will still see ample power play time and he's looked good on the point recently.
Call up Erixon and have him play with Staal for 5-10 games while he's getting used to the flow again. He'll be a perfect mentor, and let's be honest, Erixon was still better then Eminger/Woy in the beginning of the year.

Old
11-27-2011, 03:06 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Both Erixson and Mcilrath have to make it as nhl defenseman first, don't you think? If they do, they don't necessarily have to be 20+ minute a night defenseman, only your first pairing does. To repeat, if 2 to 3 years down the road both guys pan out as solid nhl defensemen, then trading any one of our defensemen be it Girardi, McDonagh, Staal or MDZ would be a salary cap issue and since Marc Staal's name is Staal and he is so highly thought of around these parts and thruout the league as "A Top Shutdown Guy", then it stands to reason he would be the ideal player to trade in order to maximize our return, right??
Sorry man, this logic is just a hair above idiotic.

Old
11-27-2011, 03:07 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

I find it hard to believe that a fan of a hockey team that had to pick up Jeff Woywitka and Anton Stralman as emergency depth signings wants to trade Marc Staal.

Honestly.

Old
11-27-2011, 03:09 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
...he IS a top shutdown defenseman, regardless of his name - I don't see why you're making such a big deal of this, other than to try and prove a point, which you're failing to do.

I'm a big fan of MDZ, but you don't keep him over Marc Staal - no GM would do so, even with the lack of puck movers in this organization. H'es had a good season, but just because he's had a good 20 game start doesn't mean you keep him over a player who is matched up against every big offensive star and is matched up successfully. The same cannot be said for Del Zotto.

Also, every player in the top-4 plays 20+ minutes - only your first pair? 2nd pairing defenseman usually get 20+ minutes. Generally, your first pairing defenseman play 23-25 minutes a night, the second pairing 20-22, and your third 14-15.

Old
11-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
People around here seem to have short memories. Staal has been our best defenseman in recent years and hasn't even turned 25 yet. He's on great contract value wise and still has unfulfilled potential. He will be a mainstay on this team in the future and for good reason.
Girardi and especially Mcdonagh are on much better contracts and have more upside than Staal does especially offensively. Time will tell if Staal is a mainstay on the Rangers for years to come.

Old
11-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
I'm also not saying that Staal's reputation is 100% based on his last name; but it sure doesn't hurt that he has two more famous brothers who are better players, does it? I'm not alone in my opinion around here that Staal is overrated, believe me!
Were both healthy, there is no way I would trade Marc Staal straight up for Jordan -- no way. And I like Jordan Staal.

As this season has progressed, I'm not sure I'd make that trade for Eric, either!

Old
11-27-2011, 03:18 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
I know this will create friction. But it is necessary I say this. I think Staal is over rated and until this year Girardi was under rated(by way to many,and Thnk od i can say I am on that always liked his game from day 1). Look @ NYR now without him (staal),i completley forget hes even on the club.

Ive always been a Girardi Supporter as well. I never would include him in a trade unless a top 6 guy is coming back and a young one @ that.Though i would be inclined to move Staal just as fast for a top 6 foward.

And NO I am not comparing the 2,but..... i do think Girardi is as solid as Staal.But Staal can catch more on the trade market mainly cause of name and where he was drafted ( a 1st rounder). Do I like Staal,YES,will I be happy if he remains a Ranger,YES..Do I think hes a top pairing guy with great defensive skills,good physical play and pretty descent offensive skills,YES.

NOW PEOPLE PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS SIMPLY MY OPINION....O P I N I O N.... I am not saying I am right,but this is how I feel. Im not a new Rangers/Hockey fan.Im 33 and started playing @ 9 yrs old,when i became a Rangers fan.Point is im not some ignorant newbie. And i see how people on here can get,hence the reason im posting that this is just an OPINION!!!!!!!!!!

Lets keep it peaceful and have some good hockey talk.
This is the NHL, not the NBA. One player doesn't completely change the team.

Just because the D is playing well without him, doesn't mean he isn't valuable. When he comes back, this D will be 10x better.

Old
11-27-2011, 03:22 PM
bluecollarblueshirt*

Dont you love having defensive depth problems. In a year or two when erixon and or the undertaker are ready for full time nhl duties. we will not have eminger and woywitka. plus we have v-tank as well. (probably 6/7 defensemen) Who knows what the situation will be. who knows who we'll have by then. Maybe someone goes down on LTIR maybe someone gets traded (not staal/mcd) Like it or not staal is a good player and yes he is most known for his name but hey who cares that only works out better for us. Girardi can't play 30 minutes a game all year and into the playoffs. Lets hope staal can come back by the ASG and work his way into the line up and eventually take those minutes over. Maybe erixon gets called up for another shot and DZ steps up more than he already has. who knows! But i love defensive depth problems in the future!

Old
11-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Levitate

I think it's time people stop getting suckered into long conversations with this guy about Staal.

Old
11-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Sorry man, this logic is just a hair above idiotic.
That's your opinion dude. Just because I don't buy into the media, fans hype and drink the Micheletti/Rosen coolade like a lot of posters around here doesn't mean I don't Staal but he is definitely overrated!

Old
11-27-2011, 03:40 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Are you guys the same guys who honestly thought Chad Johnson would overtake Lundqvist one day? That voros was turning into a 20 goal scorer?

Girardi has been AWESOME this year. The definition of warrior. However, Staal is what, 24? He's one of the best shutdown guys in the league.

Old
11-27-2011, 03:41 PM
HockeyBurd*

Overrated/underrated... the most overrated concept in sports.

If Staal fully recovers, they will continue to make for one hell of a shutdown pair for years.

Closed Thread