HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul has axe to grind with Ducks

Old
11-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Vexxed14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Because Lupul, at the time, was considered more of a throw in. Gardiner was the price to pay for taking on Lupul's contract. Which at the time had 9.5m+ left on it I think?

Without going to find articles on it, I'm pretty sure even Burke said that the goal was to acquire Gardiner in the trade. He was the 'prized piece'. I think they liked Lupul and liked the potential for Lupul to pot 20 in a secondary role, but I don't think they expected the type of impact he has had. I also don't think they expected Gardiner to step up like he has. I remember them saying how he might have needed half a season in the AHL first.

I don't blame Anaheim for moving him. He wasn't exactly healthy since they acquired him from Philly, so I can imagine how that would be frustrating for a playoff team. They watched him suffer through injury, and the door opened for them to acquire a top-four defender in Beauchemin for a playoff push (while shedding cap space in the process). They saw an opening to move the contract and took it. Moving Gardiner was from a position of strength for them.

Good news for the Leafs that he seems to be motivated, and that he found chemistry with Kessel. It's these types of moves (Phaneuf, Lombardi, Lupul) where the Leafs have been able to flex their financial muscle + acquire extra assets for helping another team out of their cap issues. It's the type of deals Burke (trading cap space) has been wanting in the NHL for years - just a bit of a style to it.
While you are correct in that Gardiner was the 1st target, I remember Burke as being adament about Lupul being able to do everything he is doing. He went on a speech about how much he has always loved him and that the only thing that got him to trade him before was Pronger.

I do not believe that Burke looked at Lupul as the "throw-in" that the Ducks or the Leaf fans thought he was when the trade happened.

Not the exact quote I was thinking of but it illustrates my point

Last edited by Vexxed14: 11-27-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:59 PM
GhettoHockey

Ok so it was Lupol Gardiner and a conditional pick... does anyone know these conditions and which round the pick is in if we meet those conditions?

GhettoHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:49 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoHockey View Post
Ok so it was Lupol Gardiner and a conditional pick... does anyone know these conditions and which round the pick is in if we meet those conditions?
I believe it's a 6th rounder with conditions to become a 4th, but I'm not positive. No idea what the condition is though.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoHockey View Post
Quote:
Toronto will receive a fourth-round pick if Joffrey Lupul is on the roster for 40 or more 2012–13 season games with the club. If he is not, Toronto will receive a sixth-round pick.[9]
i love burkie.

11-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Baba Ganoush

so the more games Lupul plays for us next year, the better the pick we get? makes no sense.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:59 PM
IBeL13f

Thanks Leaf Rocket. No idea how Burke managed to swing that ridiculous condition ("If he does well for you, we'll give you more stuff!"), but I really do love that deal. One of my favourites in recent years.

EDIT: Didn't realize it was for the 2012/13 season. Not that it makes a big difference, but Lupul was obviously looked at as a piece that would either get re-injured or would be ineffective, which would make it tricky for Burke to move him, especially with the price-tag. So I guess if Burke is "stuck" with him, we get a better pick. Still very faulty logic, but I won't complain

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 03:55 PM
puckbunnygirl

the idea was that lupul was overpaid. so if we had em on our team and he was playing, aka eating up that cap space, we'd get a pick or whatever.

puckbunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:12 PM
ECanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan2342 View Post
Fire Wilson, then hire him again for less money!

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckbunnygirl View Post
the idea was that lupul was overpaid. so if we had em on our team and he was playing, aka eating up that cap space, we'd get a pick or whatever.
Bingo.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Man Bear Pig

The guys with something to prove are always way more dangerous players.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Looks likle Holmgren promised Burke Pronger upon making that Lupul trade with Ducks, and then Holmgren pulled a prank and pulled the plug, leaving Burke stuck with Lupul

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote