HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DVO/Izzy

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2003, 09:04 PM
  #1
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
DVO/Izzy

It's great to see these two answered the call! We really need them to help out and be producing top six guys or else we are in trouble. Dvorak played, IMO, the best game for any Oilers forward so far this year. He was skating SO hard and creating SO much. Lack of luck is all that stood between him and a couple goals. My faith in him was re-assured tonight. Did anybody else notice they were on the ice together in the third? To me it looked like they were.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-30-2003, 09:18 PM
  #2
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,697
vCash: 500
Dvo has looked fantastic in the last few games.. he is really skating hard and MacTavish seems to be rewarding him with a lot of ice time! I think he and Hemsky should be our best powerplay players.. both are really sneaky with the puck and seem to have that natural instinct you need on the PP. I thought Isbister looked really good on a line with Hemsky + Smyth as well.. they had a few really dominant shifts and I think this is a line that could work really well for us. Hopefully they both come out hard next game as well.. Dvorak is definitely due for a big game! I'm just hoping the poor guy doesn't get frustrated with his stats so far and get down down on himself.. he, Staios and Moreau have been the best Oilers so far this season IMO

Cerebral is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 09:56 AM
  #3
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
So if we stick with Smyth/Izzy/Hemsky for one line, and Dvo/York on the other, who else plays on the 2nd line? Horcoff hasn't shown all that much yet, but do you keep giving him the chances, or move a guy like Reasoner up there to center York and Dvo? And if you do that, do you screw up the chemistry of the 3rd line?

Just wondering how much longer Horcoff gets a look on the top two lines, and what the options are if he doesn't stick...

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 10:03 AM
  #4
[ GSGS ]
Registered User
 
[ GSGS ]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Rimouski, Quebec, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
So if we stick with Smyth/Izzy/Hemsky for one line, and Dvo/York on the other, who else plays on the 2nd line? Horcoff hasn't shown all that much yet, but do you keep giving him the chances, or move a guy like Reasoner up there to center York and Dvo? And if you do that, do you screw up the chemistry of the 3rd line?

Just wondering how much longer Horcoff gets a look on the top two lines, and what the options are if he doesn't stick...

Bart
Maybe Torres at left wing, York at center and Dvorak at right wing? Torres would add a physical presence. However I like the idea of promoting Marty Reasoner at the 2nd line center role.

[ GSGS ] is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 10:08 AM
  #5
Marconius
Registered User
 
Marconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Just wondering how much longer Horcoff gets a look on the top two lines, and what the options are if he doesn't stick...

Bart
Good question. Has the Horcoff second-line center experiement failed now? Or do you think he can still elevate his level of play. I have been totally unimpressed with him so far. In fact I wouldn't be to broken up if they were to package Horcoff & Pisani (I still have hope for Chimera) and send them off for another top 2 center (adding picks or Comrie to get the deal done)

Marconius is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 10:13 AM
  #6
Whitenoise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Dvo has been skating hard all year. I'm guilty of being frustrated with his lack of production, but his effort is there. A good sign that a player is going to snap out of a slump is when he's putting the effort in but things just aren't happening for him, as opposed to skating listlessly around and doing nothing (*coughCartercough*). I think the floodgates are going to open for him pretty soon.

Whitenoise is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 10:13 AM
  #7
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
What makes you give up on Pisani and Horcoff, but not Chimera? Just curious... I'm not sure I've given up completely on any of them, but they're all playing well below their ability (as seen last year)...

I could see the Oilers giving Reasoner a shot at the 2nd-line center spot first before trading away guys...if it doesn't work out, then yeah, trade for another 2nd-line center, but if it does, then you can trade instead for a good d-man or even a younger goalie...? Or just not trade at all, then, and shift around players to fill the spot vacated by Reasoner.

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 10:44 AM
  #8
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,667
vCash: 500
ok how about this?
The NewYork line...

Isbister - York - Dvorak


leaving

Smyth - Hemsky

for the top line. Maybe try Reasoner at center or Chimera at LW for that line?

Master Lok is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 11:27 AM
  #9
Jim_Harnock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Wales
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
What makes you give up on Pisani and Horcoff, but not Chimera? Just curious... I'm not sure I've given up completely on any of them, but they're all playing well below their ability (as seen last year)...
I think the difference is that Horcoff has been playing below his abilities since he started in the league... what is it, four years ago now?

Jim_Harnock is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 11:35 AM
  #10
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Harnock
I think the difference is that Horcoff has been playing below his abilities since he started in the league... what is it, four years ago now?
Well, he played really well down the stretch last year, into the playoffs, and then throughout the World Championships. Many people were expecting (hoping?) he could continue that level of play into this season, but it obviously hasn't happened. So is he a guy to expect his previous play from, or the elevated play from late last season?

It did take him a long time to 'click' last year...but why should it take him that long again to find his game (if the strong play is really "his game")?

And Chimera is an enigma as well...played VERY well up until about...what, January? And then tailed off quite dramatically until he was sitting in the press box again to start the playoffs....which one is the 'real' Jason Chimera?

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 11:35 AM
  #11
Marconius
Registered User
 
Marconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
What makes you give up on Pisani and Horcoff, but not Chimera? Just curious... I'm not sure I've given up completely on any of them, but they're all playing well below their ability (as seen last year)...

Bart
Can't say there is a good reason. I just ahve a better gut instict about Chimera, maybe because he seems to have a few more tools in the toolbox then the other two. Can't deny his speed, hes a fairly big and he put up some underrated numbers last year considering th eicetime he was given.
I guess I feel Pisani & Horcoff were playing above themselves at the end of last season and won't be able to reach that level again, while I feel Chimera can consistently play at a higher level (although he has yet to show i tthis season)

Marconius is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 11:46 AM
  #12
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
Can't say there is a good reason. I just ahve a better gut instict about Chimera, maybe because he seems to have a few more tools in the toolbox then the other two. Can't deny his speed, hes a fairly big and he put up some underrated numbers last year considering th eicetime he was given.
I guess I feel Pisani & Horcoff were playing above themselves at the end of last season and won't be able to reach that level again, while I feel Chimera can consistently play at a higher level (although he has yet to show i tthis season)
Fair enough! That sounds reasonable to me...whether it's RIGHT or not is beside the point!

But it's true that all three haven't played all that well yet this season - here's hoping they turn it around soon, as I expect all three to get plenty of chances to improve. Horcoff, especially, seems to be the favorite 'project' of the coaching staff.

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 12:17 PM
  #13
Marconius
Registered User
 
Marconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
But it's true that all three haven't played all that well yet this season - here's hoping they turn it around soon, as I expect all three to get plenty of chances to improve. Horcoff, especially, seems to be the favorite 'project' of the coaching staff.

Bart
That something that sometimes drives me crazy with the Oilers coaching staff. They tend to get 'stuck' on projects, even after it becomes apparent that they can't step up to the next level. I don't know if its Lowe or MacT, but it just seems that there are a few players every year who are pet projects, no matter how bad they play they are given chance after chance for redemption (Cleary, Horcoff..etc)

Marconius is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 03:57 PM
  #14
kraigus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
I guess I feel Pisani & Horcoff were playing above themselves at the end of last season and won't be able to reach that level again, while I feel Chimera can consistently play at a higher level (although he has yet to show i tthis season)
I don't know if I agree with you on Horc, but Pisani, definitely. I like the guy, he's a feel-good story, but I think games like his hat trick were, well, like BG's hat trick - great to see once, which is good cos you'll never see it again. IMO, he's a fourth liner/press box sitter - a good substitute for Dom Pittis. Doesn't hurt the team at all, doesn't help it a whole lot either.

This year I've been watching which players seem to ... well, not do anything with the puck. They may turn it over on a bad pass or just plain get knocked off of it, or not chase it as zealously as they could/ought to, and unfortunately, I see Pisani doing this too much. Perhaps I'm biased, I haven't been keeping score.

kraigus is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 04:39 PM
  #15
Marconius
Registered User
 
Marconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
I don't know if I agree with you on Horc, but Pisani, definitely. I like the guy, he's a feel-good story, but I think games like his hat trick were, well, like BG's hat trick - great to see once, which is good cos you'll never see it again. IMO, he's a fourth liner/press box sitter - a good substitute for Dom Pittis. Doesn't hurt the team at all, doesn't help it a whole lot either.

This year I've been watching which players seem to ... well, not do anything with the puck. They may turn it over on a bad pass or just plain get knocked off of it, or not chase it as zealously as they could/ought to, and unfortunately, I see Pisani doing this too much. Perhaps I'm biased, I haven't been keeping score.
Exactly. Pisani's hattrick was so great be cause it was a "never in a million years" thing.

Marconius is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.