HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New lines

Old
11-27-2011, 04:27 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

vCash: 500
This is a joke. Kopi gets stuck with Brown (on LW) and Hunter? It looks like they pulled names out of a hat

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:53 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I'm not a Murray fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I actually like the changes to the lines.

Brown belongs better on the LW. He is very weak on the backhand, and almost never uses it. Putting him on the left forces him either to take a shot from the off wing (a better shooting angle) or to shovel the puck back to the defensemen on his forehand. Hunter, while he was snakebitten yesterday, put himself in a good position to get the shots on net, and he can cycle the puck either forward or backward.

On the second line, Gagne and Richards have history together, so it's nice to see them finally trying it. Stoll on the wing puts the onus on him to shoot more as well, instead of being the F3. He has two smart players who can dish him the puck, and while he will likely miss more than he makes, he will shoot a lot more frequently.

Loktionov has two players who will score the greasy goals. He's very smart, and has good vision, so while both Clifford and Williams are snakebitten, there should be opportunities for them to get some pucks on the net, with Loktionov distributing.

The only thing wrong with the 4th line is Moreau still on it. He deserves to sit.

With the defensemen... every defenseman is playing on their natural side. The downside is they won't have the best shooting angles. However, considering the system Murray plays, having the defensemen on their natural side so they will have an easier time keeping the puck in the offensive zone for the forecheck SHOULD help sustain pressure. They will also be on the forehand most of the time, so it'll be that much more comfortable to be more decisive with the puck.

Considering the system Murray employs, as well as his personnel and tendencies, this actually isn't as bad as many think. I still don't think Murray is the answer, considering he seemingly discounts the emotional aspect from the game by being quite emotionless and unresponsive himself, but the set up itself should promote stronger 5-on-5 play.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:54 PM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

Brown-Kopitar-Hunter... seriously, did someone hack Hammonds blog and put this in as a joke?

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:55 PM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
This is a joke. Kopi gets stuck with Brown (on LW) and Hunter? It looks like they pulled names out of a hat
Brown and Kopitar have had success together, but WTF is Hunter doing there?

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:04 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Brown and Kopitar have had success together, but WTF is Hunter doing there?
Penner is now cleared to play, could be just for one game, although I found it to be curious. Penner was orignally supposed to be on bthat line, maybe Thursday he goes back. TM said this today on that subject:

Question: What is your read on Trent Hunter? He’s had a few games back in the lineup and he’s certainly had a couple scoring chances…

MURRAY: “Some grade-A chances, triple-A chances. But you know what? Last night was his best game. His intensity, his pursuit of the puck, puck on his stick, making plays, he came alive last night and that’s encouraging. I want to take a look at him with Kopitar now, and see if we can build off of that game last night.’’

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
That is just all facepalm. It's hard to fathom such changes. Obviously Hunter is the biggest WTF move out of them all. This is not the same guy that scored 25 goals for the Islanders nearly a decade ago... He's only scored more than 35 points once since 2005, and he had his second lowest goal totals and finished the year a -17. I don't care what anybody says, Hunter is not an offensive player. He is now a grinding bottom 6'er, who is now a fringe NHL'er mercenary. I would much rather see someone like Richardson or Lewis there than Hunter.

The next biggest thing is the defensive pairings. I am all down with giving Voynov the nod and promotion, but I can't say that I like the fact that Johnson and Greene are now paired up. Even though Jack has been good for us this year, it is just a recipe for disaster.

The third line is interesting, but I don't think Williams should be down there in the first place. He has been ineffective for a bit now, but I don't think he deserves to be on the bottom 6. I would do:

Brown-Kopitar-Stoll
Gange-Richards-Williams
Clifford-Loktionov-Lewis
Richardson-Fraser-Westgarth

Johnson-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Scuderi-Greene

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:20 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I actually don't mind Hunter on the first line. The way I look at it, TM is giving Hunter every opportunity to score. Hunter's seen regular third line shifts, some pp, and now on the top line. There's also some psychology in promoting Hunter to the top line after Hunter missing the open netter the other night. Hunter probably felt he was either going to sit or perhaps even waived but instead, TM is giving him another chance. It's these kind of opportunities given to a struggling player that makes a HUGE impact. I'm sure Hunter is very grateful for the opportunity and I hope he comes through for TM and the kings.

I also like Stoll on the RW and Lokti at center.

Can't understand why Lewis and Richie continue to be healthy scratches though.

All in all, I like the moves for the most part.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:41 PM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I'm not a Murray fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I actually like the changes to the lines.

Brown belongs better on the LW. He is very weak on the backhand, and almost never uses it. Putting him on the left forces him either to take a shot from the off wing (a better shooting angle) or to shovel the puck back to the defensemen on his forehand. Hunter, while he was snakebitten yesterday, put himself in a good position to get the shots on net, and he can cycle the puck either forward or backward.

On the second line, Gagne and Richards have history together, so it's nice to see them finally trying it. Stoll on the wing puts the onus on him to shoot more as well, instead of being the F3. He has two smart players who can dish him the puck, and while he will likely miss more than he makes, he will shoot a lot more frequently.

Loktionov has two players who will score the greasy goals. He's very smart, and has good vision, so while both Clifford and Williams are snakebitten, there should be opportunities for them to get some pucks on the net, with Loktionov distributing.

The only thing wrong with the 4th line is Moreau still on it. He deserves to sit.

With the defensemen... every defenseman is playing on their natural side. The downside is they won't have the best shooting angles. However, considering the system Murray plays, having the defensemen on their natural side so they will have an easier time keeping the puck in the offensive zone for the forecheck SHOULD help sustain pressure. They will also be on the forehand most of the time, so it'll be that much more comfortable to be more decisive with the puck.

Considering the system Murray employs, as well as his personnel and tendencies, this actually isn't as bad as many think. I still don't think Murray is the answer, considering he seemingly discounts the emotional aspect from the game by being quite emotionless and unresponsive himself, but the set up itself should promote stronger 5-on-5 play.

A top quality post. Win or lose, tomorrow night's game should give us plenty to second guess.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
MURRAY: “We need something going on the offensive part of it. It starts with shots. I look at a team like Chicago. They’re leading the conference in goals for, and in fact they lead it by a wide margin. You end up watching them, and watch the game over this morning, and they shoot the puck from everywhere. They’re getting pucks to the net from the neutral zone. A guy like Patrick Sharp is, I would consider a pretty good goal scorer in the league, and he’s putting pucks to the net from outside the circle on a consistent basis. All they’re looking for is to bring people to the net for second and third opportunities. That’s an attitude that we have to get settled on, on a consistent basis, is to simplify the game. Stop trying to do the extra pass, the extra pretty play, trying to beat guys. More pucks to the net. That will get their D turned around, and that brings us in there and hopefully we can feed off it.”

Oh no. Know what that means? More terrible Dustin Brown shots from unthinkable angles on out numbered attacks. I love Terry Murray and his brain.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Kingurentai

It's obvious that switching lines is TMs only solution. This guy needs to go.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The difference between Chicago taking shots from anywhere versus the Kings doing that is the quality of the shooter. Sharp, Hossa, Toews, Kane... they can all shoot. The only players who have consistently put the puck in the net this season for the Kings have been Kopitar and Richards. Additionally, the Hawks aggressively drive to the net for second and third chances. The Kings, not so much.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:11 PM
bobafettish*

wow. its as if he just drew names out of a hat to make these lines lol.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:38 PM
markisonfire

Want to really mix things up? Then let's really mix 'em up.

Gagne - Kopitar - Richards
Brown - Loktionov - Williams
Richardson - Stoll - Lewis
Clifford - Fraser - Westgarth

Mitchell - Doughty
Johnson - Scuderi
Voynov - Greene

Quick
Bernier

PP:
Brown - Kopitar - Richards
Johnson - Voynov

Gagne - Loktionov - Williams
Mitchell - Doughty

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:40 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

I don't even know why Hunter is on this team let alone the first line. Murray has just given up at this point.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:43 PM
damacles1156

For a Murray coached team and (Dean Lombardi constructed lineup). These lines actually make sense. The Kings insider Blog has a very good post on why the lines are the way they are.

Hunter is not staying on that 1st line. He is a place holder for Penner. When Penner gets back he will be paired with Kopitar. Dean Lombardi most likely had the "the talk" with him already.

It's Shi%^ or get off the pot time for Penner.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Scottkmlps

What's next, Jack on the 1st line next to Kopitar and Drew on the 2nd with Gagne & Richards? TM is grasping at straws now.

And what the **** is with Moreau STILL being in the lineup?

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Malice430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi11 View Post
What the hell did Richardson and Lewis do to Terry Murray to be benched so Hunter and Moreau can play?
too much hustle

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I actually think that is a good shake up. Here are my thoughts:

Glad to see Loktionov at center. I think giving Loktionov some offensive help on the wings (Williams) is a smart move and gives him a chance to succeed in that role. Glad to see Gagne with Richards. I've been advocating that for quite a while. While Hunter with Kopitar might be a headscratcher, it really isn't. This is Hunter's opportunity to perform. If he can't score on a line with Kopitar, he isn't going to. Kopitar was able to score when Raitis Ivanans was on his line so I'm not too worried about him. He'll have to make a sacrifice for the good of the team (at least for the time being).

You get 3 lines of balanced scoring with this set up. I hope that when Penner is activated, Brown is moved to Loktionov's right wing and Williams is reunited with Kopitar. Hunter will probably be waived at that point if Loktionov performs pretty well. Put Penner back with Kopitar and hope he can get him going. Brown has zero chemistry with Richards and Williams and Kopitar work really well together.

I always have thought it would make sense to have Gagne on Richards wing because they have chemistry and put Williams with Kopitar as they do too. I also think this is possibly the first step in the exit of Stoll. If Loktionov is able to get that line scoring, I would love to see Stoll moved possibly with Martinez for a physical third liner who can actually score from time to time. Somebody like Wayne Simmonds was in his time here. I'm not sure who that could be or what it would cost to make that move but that is just an idea.

When Hunter doesn't perform and Penner is ready, I'd like to see this set up:

Penner Kopitar Williams
Gagne Richards Stoll
Richardson Loktionov Brown
Moreau/Clifford Fraser Lewis/Westgarth

Mix and match your 4th line but I think Lewis and Richardson are needed in the line up because of their speed. Interchange Moreau and Clifford until one of them starts performing or send Clifford down and leave Hunter in the press box. Either way you slice it, the Kings needs to have the physical presence of Moreau or Clifford in the line up and having Moreau in a 4th line role with limited minutes is a role suited for him.

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 11-27-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:52 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
What's wrong with:

Richardson/(Penner)-Kopitar-Brown
Gagne-Richards-Williams
Clifford-Loktionov-Stoll
Moreau/Richardson-Lewis-Westgarth

Waive Hunter when Penner is back. Move Richardson to the 4th line LW. Moreau to bench. Fraser centers the fourth when Westgarth sits. Lewis to RW.

Was just about to post these exact lines.

This is the best option we have. How does TM not put the flyers trio on the same line. Duh

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:55 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
While Hunter with Kopitar might be a headscratcher, it really isn't. This is Hunter's opportunity to perform. If he can't score on a line with Kopitar, he isn't going to.
Hunter hasn't scored a goal in over a year, so let's put him on the 1st line?

Really?

This is just bizarre beyond words...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:57 PM
HookKing

Can't wait to see what he has in mind for the PP.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:05 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post

Really?

17 games last year prior to ending the season with an injury with one goal, plus 11 games this year for the kings of which about 6 games where he actually didn't play on the 4th line.

Yeah, I guess one could say over a year but is that painting an accurate picture? I think not.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post

Really?

It is kind of hard to score a goal when you have a torn ligament in your knee and you aren't on the roster.

Nitpick my post all you want but I don't think it is going to be a long experiment anyway. Penner is set to come back and move will have to be made. I'd like to think that if Loktionov plays well at center and Hunter plays like ****, the decision will have to be made to either waive Hunter or send Clifford to the AHL (who is also playing like Big Red Dog **** and could use some time in the minors) and have Hunter in the press box. If there is anybody on the team that is going to get Hunter to score, it is Kopitar. In the meantime, you have 3 lines that should be able to score.

Tell me what lines you would like to see. I see so many people on here complain as if there is simple answer out there to what ails the team. All people have is complaints and no suggestions. And there is a reason, it isn't that simple. The bottom line, the team needs this type of shake up minimally.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:15 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

After thinking about, I would like to see...

Penner-kopitar-brown
Gagne-richards-Williams
Stoll-loktionov-Lewis
Clifford-Fraser-Richardson

....even though it is probably never going to happen

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:16 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
It is kind of hard to score a goal when you have a torn ligament in your knee and you aren't on the roster.
That's a fair proviso - for last season. How do you explain the multiple healthy scratches this season along with not scoring in the games that he did play in?

IMO, it's still pretty bizarre any way you slice it ...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote