HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Notre Dame to join Hockey East?

Old
06-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Notre Dame to join Hockey East?

I came across this article by Larry Mahoney the other day that is well worth the read. With Hockey East open to the possibility of expansion with the addition of the Big Ten Conference in 2013, Notre Dame could potentially join the league with perhaps Miami following suit.

Thoughts?

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Clive Bixby
Killer Manson

I would LOVE to see that. I have a ton of family members that went to Notre Dame. Northeastern never gets to play them otherwise. Be fun for me anyways.

I see traveling as an issue with ND though. I'll be following this story like a hawk.

Clive Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:22 AM
kingofspades303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
I came across this article by Larry Mahoney the other day that is well worth the read. With Hockey East open to the possibility of expansion with the addition of the Big Ten Conference in 2013, Notre Dame could potentially join the league with perhaps Miami following suit.

Thoughts?
I think Notre Dame ends up in Hockey East and Miami stays in the CCHA with the other MAC schools BGSU and WMU. Miami doesnt have the budget Notre Dame has to be traveling to the east coast all the time. I think youll see Quinnipiac added as the 12th team to Hockey East opening up a spot for RIT to join ECAC. Its possible to see conferences like this in a couple years (changes are in bold):

Big 10: (6)
Michigan
Michigan St.
Minnesota
Ohio St.
Penn St.
Wisconsin

WCHA: (10)
Anchorage
Bemidji St.
Colorado College
Denver
Michigan Tech
Minn-Duluth
Minn St. Mankato
Nebraska-Omaha
North Dakota
St. Cloud

CCHA: (10)
Alabama-Huntsville
Alaska-Fairbanks
Bowling Green
Ferris St.
Lake Superior
Miami (OH)
Niagara
Northern Michigan
Robert Morris
Western Michigan

Hockey East: (12)
BC
BU
Maine
Mass
Mass-Lowell
Merrimack
Northeastern
Notre Dame
Providence
Quinnipiac
Vermont

ECAC: (12)
Brown
Clarkson
Colgate
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
Princeton
RIT
RPI
St. Lawrence
Union
Yale

Atlantic: (9)
Air Force
AIC
Army
Bentley
Canisius
Connecticut
Holy Cross
Mercyhurst
Sacred Heart

kingofspades303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 08:21 PM
spoons
Top Shelf

That would be prety cool, but they still won't beat my Terriers !

spoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofspades303 View Post
I think Notre Dame ends up in Hockey East and Miami stays in the CCHA with the other MAC schools BGSU and WMU. Miami doesnt have the budget Notre Dame has to be traveling to the east coast all the time. I think youll see Quinnipiac added as the 12th team to Hockey East opening up a spot for RIT to join ECAC. Its possible to see conferences like this in a couple years (changes are in bold):

Michigan
Michigan St.
Minnesota
Ohio St.
Penn St.
Wisconsin

Anchorage
Bemidji St.
Colorado College
Denver
Michigan Tech
Minn-Duluth
Minn St. Mankato
Nebraska-Omaha
North Dakota
St. Cloud

Alabama-Huntsville
Alaska-Fairbanks
Bowling Green
Ferris St.
Lake Superior
Miami (OH)
Niagara
Northern Michigan
Robert Morris
Western Michigan

BC
BU
Maine
Mass
Mass-Lowell
Merrimack
Northeastern
Notre Dame
Providence
Quinnipiac
Vermont

Brown
Clarkson
Colgate
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
Princeton
RIT
RPI
St. Lawrence
Union
Yale

Air Force
AIC
Army
Bentley
Canisius
Connecticut
Holy Cross
Mercyhurst
Sacred Heart
A couple of problems in your scenario:

1) It's highly unlikely that Quinnipiac will leave the ECAC since moving there from Atlantic Hockey (formerly MAAC). If for no other reason, the travel seems to suit them quite well and they have a nice rivalry developing with intrastate rival Yale, who isn't far from them.

2) The travel issue is the same with RMU and Niagara playing in the CCHA. Neither school has big budgets and having to go Fairbanks each year will put a dent in it.

3) UAH has also applied for membership in the CCHA and was turned down. From what I understand, the Chargers still would like to join the CCHA (or any other conference that will take them for that matter).

Having said all that, the most intriguing move would be RIT to the ECAC, however (as you've pointed out), Quinnipiac or one of the other schools would have to join a different conference. Now there is talk going on (again) about D-I possibly adding another program in the next few years (aside from PSU). But I stress here that it's just talk and nothing more.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:52 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
A couple of problems in your scenario:

1) It's highly unlikely that Quinnipiac will leave the ECAC since moving there from Atlantic Hockey (formerly MAAC). If for no other reason, the travel seems to suit them quite well and they have a nice rivalry developing with intrastate rival Yale, who isn't far from them.

2) The travel issue is the same with RMU and Niagara playing in the CCHA. Neither school has big budgets and having to go Fairbanks each year will put a dent in it.

3) UAH has also applied for membership in the CCHA and was turned down. From what I understand, the Chargers still would like to join the CCHA (or any other conference that will take them for that matter).

Having said all that, the most intriguing move would be RIT to the ECAC, however (as you've pointed out), Quinnipiac or one of the other schools would have to join a different conference. Now there is talk going on (again) about D-I possibly adding another program in the next few years (aside from PSU). But I stress here that it's just talk and nothing more.
I don't believe half of the stuff I hear about all the moves with the Big10, some things about Notre Dame to Hockey East seems attractive but others don't. If Notre Dame Stays in the CCHA they have to deal with Miami, and maybe some of the rebuilding programs like WMU to get a bid to the NCAA. That's more attractive than long road trips to Boston. If Notre Dame leaves the CCHA it would be to the Big10. Big 10 sponsoring hockey is another bargaining chip for the conference who has been looking at Notre Dame as a Big10 member for a long time.

UAH will likely get into the CCHA. The CCHA seemed to be waiting out the strengthening rumors about Penn State joining NCAA hockey around the time UAH applied. The CCHA was looking to add PSU as the 12th member but now that Penn State will be joining the Big10 and Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State will leave the CCHA needs members.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Badger36

I think Notre Dame stays in the CCHA. It makes more sense for them for a travel standpoint and in terms of winning an NCAA bid its going to be much easier to just have to beat Miami-Ohio every year than to have to beat BC, BU and the rest of Hockey East every year. Hockey East is a VERY tough conference and I dont think Notre Dame wants anything to do with all that.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:57 AM
kingofspades303

This could shake things up quite a bit....

http://mankatofreepresshockey.blogsp...e-know-it.html

Formation of a new league with North Dakota, Neb-Omaha, Denver, CC, Miami, Notre Dame, Western Michigan and a rumored Hockey East team. As for the rumored HE team, I would have to take a guess and say its BC.

kingofspades303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:21 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
This could shake things up quite a bit....

http://mankatofreepresshockey.blogsp...e-know-it.html

Formation of a new league with North Dakota, Neb-Omaha, Denver, CC, Miami, Notre Dame, Western Michigan and a rumored Hockey East team. As for the rumored HE team, I would have to take a guess and say its BC.
Not a snowballs chance in hell BC leaves Hockey East. Way to many natural rivalries
with BU, Maine, and UNH. Why would BC even think of something like that?

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:19 PM
NordicBruin91
Bleed Black & Gold

Send a message via AIM to NordicBruin91
Quote:

Michigan
Michigan St.
Minnesota
Ohio St.
Penn St.
Wisconsin

Anchorage
Bemidji St.
Colorado College
Denver
Michigan Tech
Minn-Duluth
Minn St. Mankato
Nebraska-Omaha
North Dakota
St. Cloud

Alabama-Huntsville
Alaska-Fairbanks
Bowling Green
Ferris St.
Lake Superior
Miami (OH)
Niagara
Northern Michigan
Robert Morris
Western Michigan

BC
BU
Maine
Mass
Mass-Lowell
Merrimack
Northeastern
Notre Dame
Providence
Quinnipiac
Vermont

Brown
Clarkson
Colgate
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
Princeton
RIT
RPI
St. Lawrence
Union
Yale

Air Force
AIC
Army
Bentley
Canisius
Connecticut
Holy Cross
Mercyhurst
Sacred Heart
I guess New Hampshire doesn't have a team anymore then...?

NordicBruin91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:15 AM
ND Irish 11

Its interesting, but I'd rather not move to Hockey East. Being from Buffalo I have mixed feelings about Pegula- he's really turning around the Sabres, but Penn State and Big Ten hockey loses us arguably our two biggest rivals, U of M and MSU (who cares about Ohio State . Still, it was neat having the ability to drive a couple of hours and see Irish away games at places like WMU and BGSU.

Hockey East instantly puts us in a better conference (especially coming from a Michigan-less CCHA), we would get to play BC more than once a year, and we're already a part of an eastern-based conference in the Big East,

buuuuuut
1) Hockey is a clear #3 at ND- football is king and basketball is number two. I went to the CCHA tourney and the Frozen four this year and our showings were pathetic for a likeable team- although the CCHA tourney was over the second weekend of spring break, I was one of only a handful of students at the Joe and only 17 student tickets were bought for the frozen four (although obviously there were more students present- I got my tickets from the NCAA with a couple of other guys as soon as we beat UNH). Every home game is a sellout, and the student section of home games are usually full, but thats not saying much (couple hundred tops and less on basketball nights)

2) The administration is already spending a boatload on hockey- the new rink, which with double the JACC capacity is state of the art but behind schedule so the team will play the first couple of games in the old JACC arena. With the current CCHA schedule the only time the team needs to fly is the semi-annual trip to Alaska (plus tourneys) so costs to travel to the East coast every other week will substantially increase the budget even more

With these two alone I think that Fr Jenkins and Jack Swarbrink won't pull the trigger on a big move- instead I think we will wait until the dust has settled after Big Ten conference comes to fruition and see if playing in a weakened CCHA doesn't put us at a disadvantage. If we can retain series with Michigan, MSU, and BC, Miami stays good (which they should), and schools like WMU and NMU step up, I don't see a switch

ND Irish 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:18 AM
ND Irish 11

Quote:

Michigan
Michigan St.
Minnesota
Ohio St.
Penn St.
Wisconsin

Anchorage
Bemidji St.
Colorado College
Denver
Michigan Tech
Minn-Duluth
Minn St. Mankato
Nebraska-Omaha
North Dakota
St. Cloud

Alabama-Huntsville
Alaska-Fairbanks
Bowling Green
Ferris St.
Lake Superior
Miami (OH)
Niagara
Northern Michigan
Robert Morris
Western Michigan

BC
BU
Maine
Mass
Mass-Lowell
Merrimack
Northeastern
Notre Dame
Providence
Quinnipiac
Vermont

Brown
Clarkson
Colgate
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
Princeton
RIT
RPI
St. Lawrence
Union
Yale

Air Force
AIC
Army
Bentley
Canisius
Connecticut
Holy Cross
Mercyhurst
Sacred Heart
Why Niagara and not Canisius- Niagara's program is better but Canisius is slightly closer to CCHA territory plus both are MAAC schools, so why would they seperate themselves?

ND Irish 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:36 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish 11 View Post
Why Niagara and not Canisius- Niagara's program is better but Canisius is slightly closer to CCHA territory plus both are MAAC schools, so why would they seperate themselves?
They wouldn't.

Niagara and Canisius are basically a pair deal. The rivalry between the two is crazy.

And I still don't see Notre Dame in HE, geographically it just seems too crazy.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Landen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
They wouldn't.

Niagara and Canisius are basically a pair deal. The rivalry between the two is crazy.

And I still don't see Notre Dame in HE, geographically it just seems too crazy.
I concur!

Landen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:45 AM
BCeagle

Geographically it doesn't make sense and it would make an uneven amount of teams in Hockey East. ND should stay in the Big Ten or CCHA. I guess if they're willing to travel and pay the extra expenses that's on them.

BCeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:02 PM
fightincolts

Huge ND fan here, and trust me money is the last thing on ND's mind. As a school, they have 6.8 BILLION in endowment dollars. Compare that to other teams in Hockey East (Maine: 123 million, BU: 1.9 billion, BC: 1.5 billion).

I would actually like to see ND join Hockey East, have the two Jesuit schools go at it a few times a year.

fightincolts is offline   Reply With Quote