HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal and Girardi

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2011, 08:27 PM
  #101
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 57,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Staal really doesn't play like Girardi who was the blood and guts of that pairing literally and figuratively! They'll be an icestorm in July before Staal sacrifices his body blocking shots the way Girardi routinely does time and again. Girardi deserved the "A" but Staal got it due to his name.
Oi.

Maybe, just maybe, Staal got it because Tortorella is in the room, and knows how Staal is a leader, while the posters here do not?

But no. He got it because of his name.

__________________
Everything about you is bringing me misery.
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 08:29 PM
  #102
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Staal really doesn't play like Girardi who was the blood and guts of that pairing literally and figuratively! They'll be an icestorm in July before Staal sacrifices his body blocking shots the way Girardi routinely does time and again. Girardi deserved the "A" but Staal got it due to his name.
I am almost certain that was not why Staal was chosen.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 08:32 PM
  #103
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 74,705
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
I am almost certain that was not why Staal was chosen.
Clearly it was the only reason. He's only considered good because of his name, remember? If his name was Mark Stall, people would realize he's just a mediocre d-man.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 08:32 PM
  #104
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu
Girardi deserved the "A" but Staal got it due to his name.
Do you honestly believe this? Wow.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 08:34 PM
  #105
Kane One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,826
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Oi.

Maybe, just maybe, Staal got it because Tortorella is in the room, and knows how Staal is a leader, while the posters here do not?

But no. He got it because of his name.
Exactly. If they felt Jeff Woywitka is a great leader, he would get a letter even though his name sucks. Tortorella doesn't give a **** how popular anyone is. He treats everyone like how they deserve to be treated. I don't understand why people question captaincy. No one here knows how they act in the locker room.

__________________
Kane One is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 08:38 PM
  #106
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Clearly it was the only reason. He's only considered good because of his name, remember? If his name was Mark Stall, people would realize he's just a mediocre d-man.
What about if his name was Marc Stoll? Is Jarret too popular?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 08:40 PM
  #107
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
McDonagh is not too far off from Staal imo. Not yet as good, but look at what he's doing. It's not a knock on Staal, it's just that McDonagh is really ****ing good. Can't argue with a +12 in 20 games playing 25 minutes a night against the best players in the league.

Defensively I think he has similar upside to Staal. Offensively he's got much higher upside. I'm talking about Duncan Keith type offensive upside (if you exclude his 69 point season)

I don't get why people have to bash Staal when talking about McDonagh. They're both going to be two of the better defensemen in the league. Remember that Marc is only 24. He's still got a long ways to go before he hits his prime

ThirdEye is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 08:41 PM
  #108
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow
 
Net Front Presence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 6,020
vCash: 843
Yikes.

I'm sick of reading that Staal's name is such a significant part of who he is and what he means to the organization. He is our #1 d-man because of his play/leadership, not because of his last name.

Net Front Presence is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 08:50 PM
  #109
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 74,705
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
McDonagh is not too far off from Staal imo. Not yet as good, but look at what he's doing. It's not a knock on Staal, it's just that McDonagh is really ****ing good. Can't argue with a +12 in 20 games playing 25 minutes a night against the best players in the league.

Defensively I think he has similar upside to Staal. Offensively he's got much higher upside. I'm talking about Duncan Keith type offensive upside (if you exclude his 69 point season)

I don't get why people have to bash Staal when talking about McDonagh. They're both going to be two of the better defensemen in the league. Remember that Marc is only 24. He's still got a long ways to go before he hits his prime
I don't get it either. McDonagh may one day surpass Staal (and how awesome would that be?). The bashing of Staal, though, is just stupid.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 08:51 PM
  #110
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,142
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
It's amazing, you can never have a debate on here. God forbid you make a comment that's disliked around these parts, you're apparently "trolling". Sorry, I didn't realize there's a bunch of sports popes aka Mike Francesas on here that if they disagree with you you're wrong. As for the Staal debate, no one is saying he's not a top notch defensive shut down guy, what people are saying is he's being treated like he's Bobby Orr when he's not. Offensively he's peaked, and will never put up huge numbers. He also does make bad reads once in a while and gets caught. His balance is not the best either. This doesn't mean he sucks, he's garbage, no. Just pointing out reasons why he isn't a top 10 guy in my eyes

Glen Teflon Sather is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 08:52 PM
  #111
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Oi.

Maybe, just maybe, Staal got it because Tortorella is in the room, and knows how Staal is a leader, while the posters here do not?

But no. He got it because of his name.

His name has something to do with it, don't be nave. He was a 12th pick, his name is Staal and Girardi was undrafted! DUH!!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 08:54 PM
  #112
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 74,705
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
His name has something to do with it, don't be nave. He was a 12th pick, his name is Staal and Girardi was undrafted! DUH!!
His name has nothing to do with it. The fact that he's a great ****ing player, an all star, and ELITE defensively have something to do with it.

Also the fact that he's clearly pretty damn respected in the locker room. You don't just give As out to anyone and everyone. Torts isn't Oprah. The only one being naive here is you.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 08:54 PM
  #113
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 57,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
His name has something to do with it, don't be nave. He was a 12th pick, his name is Staal and Girardi was undrafted! DUH!!
Torts gave Staal the A because of his name.

It all makes sense now.

And by "sense", I mean "what?". That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. This isn't Alex Ovechkin we're talking about here, Marc isn't even that big of a name. There's a reason Tortorella let Staal keep the A over a player like Prospal, who he absolutely adores, and it has nothing to do with name brand.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 08:55 PM
  #114
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 500
I should also point out that "C"s and "A"s dont get handed out to the "best" player at any given position.

At least not in this organization.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 09:05 PM
  #115
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
It's amazing, you can never have a debate on here. God forbid you make a comment that's disliked around these parts, you're apparently "trolling". Sorry, I didn't realize there's a bunch of sports popes aka Mike Francesas on here that if they disagree with you you're wrong. As for the Staal debate, no one is saying he's not a top notch defensive shut down guy, what people are saying is he's being treated like he's Bobby Orr when he's not. Offensively he's peaked, and will never put up huge numbers. He also does make bad reads once in a while and gets caught. His balance is not the best either. This doesn't mean he sucks, he's garbage, no. Just pointing out reasons why he isn't a top 10 guy in my eyes
Can you clarify how he's treated like Bobby Orr and by whom? I don't get it.

wolfgaze is online now  
Old
11-27-2011, 09:11 PM
  #116
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
I don't get why we have to look to trade one of our best d-men just because we are playing well without him.

Adding Staal to an already soild defense will be like we just acquired a top d-man via FA once he comes back.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 09:20 PM
  #117
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
His name has something to do with it, don't be nave. He was a 12th pick, his name is Staal and Girardi was undrafted! DUH!!
Are people honestly responding to this? It's not even an opinion, he's probably just laughing right now. I hate internet memes, but quit....feeding...th- you know the rest.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 09:22 PM
  #118
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Niles, Pls.
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,737
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
Here's what the trolls have argued so far:

Jordan is suddenly better than Marc
McDonagh, and Girardi are miles ahead of Staal
Erixon hasn't been in the NHL yet
In a Defenseman, Offense is more important than defense
If you're under 21, your point is invalid
New York is the 2nd Biggest hockey market, even though we can barely fill our arena

To break it down:

Last Year's Staal > Last Year's Girardi
This Year's Girardi > Last Year's Staal

These 2 make sense, and I won't argue. However, how can you say this year's Girardi is better than this year's Staal, who we haven't seen play in 6 Months?
You sir... are dead on. Amen brother.

Gardner McKay is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 09:24 PM
  #119
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1SHOP View Post
Yikes.

I'm sick of reading that Staal's name is such a significant part of who he is and what he means to the organization. He is our #1 d-man because of his play/leadership, not because of his last name.

He aint our #1 defenseman anymore. If you don't think that a name and pedigree don't carry any weight in the nhl and sports in general, you're really nave!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 09:27 PM
  #120
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Clearly it was the only reason. He's only considered good because of his name, remember? If his name was Mark Stall, people would realize he's just a mediocre d-man.
Such melodrama, you really need to get a clue if you think name recognition doesn't have anything to do with getting chosen for an all star game.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 09:29 PM
  #121
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,205
vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
He aint our #1 defenseman anymore. If you don't think that a name and pedigree don't carry any weight in the nhl and sports in general, you're really nave!
and if you think it always does you're dead wrong. Look at Girardi

Silence Of The Plams is online now  
Old
11-27-2011, 09:36 PM
  #122
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 74,705
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Such melodrama, you really need to get a clue if you think name recognition doesn't have anything to do with getting chosen for an all star game.
There's nothing more to tell you: You're wrong. You're about as wrong as can possibly be. But continue to believe such nonsense. I'm sure you also think we never landed on the moon.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 09:40 PM
  #123
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Can you clarify how he's treated like Bobby Orr and by whom? I don't get it.
You sound like Tom Hanks in the board room meeting in the movie "Big." He's definitely treated different here because he has "two more famous brothers who made the league right out of the draft, are better and have been more successful the Marc. If you don't think that makes a difference on a team and thruout the league, you're sadly mistaken. I'd be willing to bet giving Staal the "A" came from Sather and not Torts because I think Torts is a bigger fan of Girardi's blue collar game.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 09:41 PM
  #124
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
What about if his name was Marc Stoll? Is Jarret too popular?
What are you 15 years old? Grow up already!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 09:41 PM
  #125
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 74,705
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
You sound like Tom Hanks in the board room meeting in the movie "Big." He's definitely treated different here because he has "two more famous brothers who made the league right out of the draft, are better and have been more successful the Marc. If you don't think that makes a difference on a team and thruout the league, you're sadly mistaken. I'd be willing to bet giving Staal the "A" came from Sather and not Torts because I think Torts is a bigger fan of Girardi's blue collar game.
lol @ Jordan being better than Marc...

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.