HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal and Girardi

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2011, 08:27 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Staal really doesn't play like Girardi who was the blood and guts of that pairing literally and figuratively! They'll be an icestorm in July before Staal sacrifices his body blocking shots the way Girardi routinely does time and again. Girardi deserved the "A" but Staal got it due to his name.
Oi.

Maybe, just maybe, Staal got it because Tortorella is in the room, and knows how Staal is a leader, while the posters here do not?

But no. He got it because of his name.

11-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Staal really doesn't play like Girardi who was the blood and guts of that pairing literally and figuratively! They'll be an icestorm in July before Staal sacrifices his body blocking shots the way Girardi routinely does time and again. Girardi deserved the "A" but Staal got it due to his name.
I am almost certain that was not why Staal was chosen.

11-27-2011, 08:32 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
I am almost certain that was not why Staal was chosen.
Clearly it was the only reason. He's only considered good because of his name, remember? If his name was Mark Stall, people would realize he's just a mediocre d-man.

Old
11-27-2011, 08:32 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu
Girardi deserved the "A" but Staal got it due to his name.
Do you honestly believe this? Wow.

11-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Oi.

Maybe, just maybe, Staal got it because Tortorella is in the room, and knows how Staal is a leader, while the posters here do not?

Exactly. If they felt Jeff Woywitka is a great leader, he would get a letter even though his name sucks. Tortorella doesn't give a **** how popular anyone is. He treats everyone like how they deserve to be treated. I don't understand why people question captaincy. No one here knows how they act in the locker room.

11-27-2011, 08:38 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Clearly it was the only reason. He's only considered good because of his name, remember? If his name was Mark Stall, people would realize he's just a mediocre d-man.
What about if his name was Marc Stoll? Is Jarret too popular?

Old
11-27-2011, 08:40 PM
ThirdEye

McDonagh is not too far off from Staal imo. Not yet as good, but look at what he's doing. It's not a knock on Staal, it's just that McDonagh is really ****ing good. Can't argue with a +12 in 20 games playing 25 minutes a night against the best players in the league.

Defensively I think he has similar upside to Staal. Offensively he's got much higher upside. I'm talking about Duncan Keith type offensive upside (if you exclude his 69 point season)

I don't get why people have to bash Staal when talking about McDonagh. They're both going to be two of the better defensemen in the league. Remember that Marc is only 24. He's still got a long ways to go before he hits his prime

Old
11-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 843
Yikes.

I'm sick of reading that Staal's name is such a significant part of who he is and what he means to the organization. He is our #1 d-man because of his play/leadership, not because of his last name.

Old
11-27-2011, 08:50 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
McDonagh is not too far off from Staal imo. Not yet as good, but look at what he's doing. It's not a knock on Staal, it's just that McDonagh is really ****ing good. Can't argue with a +12 in 20 games playing 25 minutes a night against the best players in the league.

Defensively I think he has similar upside to Staal. Offensively he's got much higher upside. I'm talking about Duncan Keith type offensive upside (if you exclude his 69 point season)

I don't get why people have to bash Staal when talking about McDonagh. They're both going to be two of the better defensemen in the league. Remember that Marc is only 24. He's still got a long ways to go before he hits his prime
I don't get it either. McDonagh may one day surpass Staal (and how awesome would that be?). The bashing of Staal, though, is just stupid.

Old
11-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
It's amazing, you can never have a debate on here. God forbid you make a comment that's disliked around these parts, you're apparently "trolling". Sorry, I didn't realize there's a bunch of sports popes aka Mike Francesas on here that if they disagree with you you're wrong. As for the Staal debate, no one is saying he's not a top notch defensive shut down guy, what people are saying is he's being treated like he's Bobby Orr when he's not. Offensively he's peaked, and will never put up huge numbers. He also does make bad reads once in a while and gets caught. His balance is not the best either. This doesn't mean he sucks, he's garbage, no. Just pointing out reasons why he isn't a top 10 guy in my eyes

Old
11-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Oi.

His name has something to do with it, don't be nave. He was a 12th pick, his name is Staal and Girardi was undrafted! DUH!!

Old
11-27-2011, 08:54 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
His name has something to do with it, don't be nave. He was a 12th pick, his name is Staal and Girardi was undrafted! DUH!!
His name has nothing to do with it. The fact that he's a great ****ing player, an all star, and ELITE defensively have something to do with it.

Also the fact that he's clearly pretty damn respected in the locker room. You don't just give As out to anyone and everyone. Torts isn't Oprah. The only one being naive here is you.

Old
11-27-2011, 08:54 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Torts gave Staal the A because of his name.

It all makes sense now.

And by "sense", I mean "what?". That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. This isn't Alex Ovechkin we're talking about here, Marc isn't even that big of a name. There's a reason Tortorella let Staal keep the A over a player like Prospal, who he absolutely adores, and it has nothing to do with name brand.

Old
11-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I should also point out that "C"s and "A"s dont get handed out to the "best" player at any given position.

At least not in this organization.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:05 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
It's amazing, you can never have a debate on here. God forbid you make a comment that's disliked around these parts, you're apparently "trolling". Sorry, I didn't realize there's a bunch of sports popes aka Mike Francesas on here that if they disagree with you you're wrong. As for the Staal debate, no one is saying he's not a top notch defensive shut down guy, what people are saying is he's being treated like he's Bobby Orr when he's not. Offensively he's peaked, and will never put up huge numbers. He also does make bad reads once in a while and gets caught. His balance is not the best either. This doesn't mean he sucks, he's garbage, no. Just pointing out reasons why he isn't a top 10 guy in my eyes
Can you clarify how he's treated like Bobby Orr and by whom? I don't get it.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:11 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

I don't get why we have to look to trade one of our best d-men just because we are playing well without him.

Adding Staal to an already soild defense will be like we just acquired a top d-man via FA once he comes back.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:20 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Are people honestly responding to this? It's not even an opinion, he's probably just laughing right now. I hate internet memes, but quit....feeding...th- you know the rest.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
Here's what the trolls have argued so far:

Jordan is suddenly better than Marc
McDonagh, and Girardi are miles ahead of Staal
Erixon hasn't been in the NHL yet
In a Defenseman, Offense is more important than defense
If you're under 21, your point is invalid
New York is the 2nd Biggest hockey market, even though we can barely fill our arena

To break it down:

Last Year's Staal > Last Year's Girardi
This Year's Girardi > Last Year's Staal

These 2 make sense, and I won't argue. However, how can you say this year's Girardi is better than this year's Staal, who we haven't seen play in 6 Months?
You sir... are dead on. Amen brother.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1SHOP View Post
Yikes.

I'm sick of reading that Staal's name is such a significant part of who he is and what he means to the organization. He is our #1 d-man because of his play/leadership, not because of his last name.

He aint our #1 defenseman anymore. If you don't think that a name and pedigree don't carry any weight in the nhl and sports in general, you're really nave!

Old
11-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Such melodrama, you really need to get a clue if you think name recognition doesn't have anything to do with getting chosen for an all star game.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
He aint our #1 defenseman anymore. If you don't think that a name and pedigree don't carry any weight in the nhl and sports in general, you're really nave!
and if you think it always does you're dead wrong. Look at Girardi

Old
11-27-2011, 09:36 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Such melodrama, you really need to get a clue if you think name recognition doesn't have anything to do with getting chosen for an all star game.
There's nothing more to tell you: You're wrong. You're about as wrong as can possibly be. But continue to believe such nonsense. I'm sure you also think we never landed on the moon.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Can you clarify how he's treated like Bobby Orr and by whom? I don't get it.
You sound like Tom Hanks in the board room meeting in the movie "Big." He's definitely treated different here because he has "two more famous brothers who made the league right out of the draft, are better and have been more successful the Marc. If you don't think that makes a difference on a team and thruout the league, you're sadly mistaken. I'd be willing to bet giving Staal the "A" came from Sather and not Torts because I think Torts is a bigger fan of Girardi's blue collar game.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
What about if his name was Marc Stoll? Is Jarret too popular?
What are you 15 years old? Grow up already!

Old
11-27-2011, 09:41 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
You sound like Tom Hanks in the board room meeting in the movie "Big." He's definitely treated different here because he has "two more famous brothers who made the league right out of the draft, are better and have been more successful the Marc. If you don't think that makes a difference on a team and thruout the league, you're sadly mistaken. I'd be willing to bet giving Staal the "A" came from Sather and not Torts because I think Torts is a bigger fan of Girardi's blue collar game.
lol @ Jordan being better than Marc...

Closed Thread