HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal and Girardi

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Drewbackatu*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
and if you think it always does you're dead wrong. Look at Girardi
Girardi is just now getting deserved props as his game has gone to the next level with McDonagh as a partner. Kind of ironic, aint it?

Old
11-27-2011, 09:45 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Girardi is just now getting deserved props as his game has gone to the next level with McDonagh as a partner. Kind of ironic, aint it?
Girardi is only "just now getting deserved props" because he finally put together a great, complete year last year. Before last year, he had never had a great year from game 1 to game 82.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:49 PM
darko

At first I shook my head but gotta say this thread is pretty funny now. Gold, pure gold.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
His name has nothing to do with it. The fact that he's a great ****ing player, an all star, and ELITE defensively have something to do with it.

Also the fact that he's clearly pretty damn respected in the locker room. You don't just give As out to anyone and everyone. Torts isn't Oprah. The only one being naive here is you.
Staal is a "great ****ing player and elite defensively? You are completely out to lunch on Staal. He is so far from elite it's not funny!

Old
11-27-2011, 10:00 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Staal is a "great ****ing player and elite defensively? You are completely out to lunch on Staal. He is so far from elite it's not funny!
Please explain how. You've done nothing but say things with nothing of substance. What makes him far from elite (keep in mind that I wrote elite defensively)? I would love to hear it. He's considered, around the league, to be one of the best defensive d-men on the planet.

But let's hear what Drew has to say about him. I'm sure it will be fantastic.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Girardi is only "just now getting deserved props" because he finally put together a great, complete year last year. Before last year, he had never had a great year from game 1 to game 82.
Neither has Staal had a great year from game 1 to 82. Selective amnesia about Staal's game punctuated by his bad decisions, poor pinches leading to being out of position and constantly falling down is rampant on this forum.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:03 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Neither has Staal had a great year from game 1 to 82. Selective amnesia about Staal's game punctuated by his bad decisions, poor pinches leading to being out of position and constantly falling down is rampant on this forum.
Staal has had a game here and a game there where he hasn't been good. He hasn't taken entire half seasons off. But keep trying.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Please explain how. You've done nothing but say things with nothing of substance. What makes him far from elite (keep in mind that I wrote elite defensively)? I would love to hear it. He's considered, around the league, to be one of the best defensive d-men on the planet.

But let's hear what Drew has to say about him. I'm sure it will be fantastic.
Who around the league considers Staal elite defensively? He was rated 15-20 in an early season publication(?) that I saw. Explain in your divine wisdom who stated that Staal is elite defensively? I would love to hear this bull**** answer.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:13 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Who around the league considers Staal elite defensively? He was rated 15-20 in an early season publication(?) that I saw. Explain in your divine wisdom who stated that Staal is elite defensively? I would love to hear this bull**** answer.
Given that he's generally rated 15-20 based on his all-around game, I'd say most rank him 1-10 on defensive game - ask anyone that isn't a Ranger fan, nearly everyone will agree he's one of the best defensive players in the game.

But you'll just fall back on the "name" excuse.

11-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Staal has had a game here and a game there where he hasn't been good. He hasn't taken entire half seasons off. But keep trying.
He was/is a "pinching in disaster" ever since Torts became coach and insisted that all his defensemen become part of the offense instead of sitting back. He has had the most problems out of all our defensemen making the right decision when to pinch in. Tell me you don't remember any of this?

Old
11-27-2011, 10:15 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Just about everyone. He was an all star thanks to his elite defensive game. The only people who rag on Staal like this are Deb fans and Fish fans. And I don't blame them, since those guys can't see past their own team colors and analyze a player correctly.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:17 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
He was/is a "pinching in disaster" ever since Torts became coach and insisted that all his defensemen become part of the offense instead of sitting back. He has had the most problems out of all our defensemen making the right decision when to pinch in. Tell me you don't remember any of this?
I don't remember it because it never was a problem.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:18 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Given that he's generally rated 15-20 based on his all-around game, I'd say most rank him 1-10 on defensive game - ask anyone that isn't a Ranger fan, nearly everyone will agree he's one of the best defensive players in the game.

He's only rated high defensively because of his name.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

Most rank him 1-10 on defensive game? Who is most? Does most have a name?
Tell you what, I saw an elite defensive(and offensive) defenseman in the Bruin vs Red Wing barn burner the other day. He doesn't get a whole lot of media attention and cheerleading windbags bragging about his game, he also doesn't have a famous name and pedigree, he just goes about his business of being "Great.". He's an unrestricted free agent (I believe) in 2012. His name is Niklas Kronwall! He's a great defensive defenseman and a whole lot better than Marc Staal. Next time you get a chance, watch him play, I highly recommend it to all the Staal windbags and ****hards on this forum.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:29 PM
darko

I dont see how anyone can say Staal is overrated. He is 1 of the better shutdown guys in this league, play 25 + minutes a night against opposing team's best players and chips in somewhat offensively. Offense isn't all about points. As Jonathan mentioned few pages ago, Staal is good at bring up the puck and he also has that good first pass. This is the most underrated part of his game. Still he put up 29 points last year which is nothing to scoff at.

McDonagh is good defensively but I dont think he will ever be on Staal's level but a notch below. That's not an insult to McDonagh. What McD could potentially bring on offense is what rates him so highly.

Not sure why people are so quick to swing an axe. No need to trade guys, keep them, we need depth. Depth on blue line is so underrated. Staal and Girardi are legit 1st pairing D-men. McDonagh could be that as well in the near future. Sauer is a good 2nd pairing D-man. Del Zotto has come long ways this season and appear a legit top-4 D-man (albeit small sample size). Nothing wrong with having 5 guys who can play in your top-4. Depth problem on blueline is a good thing guys.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Most rank him 1-10 on defensive game? Who is most? Does most have a name?
Tell you what, I saw an elite defensive(and offensive) defenseman in the Bruin vs Red Wing barn burner the other day. He doesn't get a whole lot of media attention and cheerleading windbags bragging about his game, he also doesn't have a famous name and pedigree, he just goes about his business of being "Great.". He's an unrestricted free agent (I believe) in 2012. His name is Niklas Kronwall! He's a great defensive defenseman and a whole lot better than Marc Staal. Next time you get a chance, watch him play, I highly recommend it to all the Staal windbags and ****hards on this forum.

Kronwall is not a better defensive defenseman than Marc Staal, and I like Kronwall a lot more than I like Staal. He's a good two-way, #2/#3 defenseman. He isn't going to log 27-28 minutes a night and consistently keep the likes of Crosby and Ovechkin off the scoresheet to a great extent. He doesn't even have to play against those two on a consistent basis.

He also signed a 7 year extension a few weeks ago.

Also, "most" is most hockey analysts, and also most of the people on this board. A LOT of them rank him in the top-10.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
He's only rated high defensively because of his name.
That isn't what I said. You need to take a reading comprehension course.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

You all need to take a reading comprehension course. I clearly stated no flaming that means inherently no personal attacks. Closed until this pissing match is over.