HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens 4 Canes 3

Old
11-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Manny*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Here goes the overhyping of Karlsson again. He played a solid game but he really wasn't anything exceptional. Both of his secondary assists were the result of someone else's hard work. He really didn't do anything himself offensively though he did a solid job in his own end and I really don't understand why he would get a star nod over Gonchar or Spezza.

No, I am not saying Rundblad was better, or that Karlsson played a bad game. Just that he didn't stand out tonight.
Karlsson was outstanding tonight. Even if you factor out his two assists, he shut players down defensively (namely Skinner), lead the breakout often, joined the rush and sprung Michalek on a breakaway where he hit the post.

I think he was the best player on the ice. Smith being a close second.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Karlsson was outstanding tonight. Even if you factor out his two assists, he shut players down defensively (namely Skinner), lead the breakout often, joined the rush and sprung Michalek on a breakaway where he hit the post.

I think he was the best player on the ice. Smith being a close second.
Well I think this is just part of how enamored most people are with him. His passing was nice, and he did make a nice breakout pass to Michalek but aside from that he was average to below average offensively (for him) and while his defence was solid I definitely wouldn't call it exceptional. He did well though.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:25 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Well I think this is just part of how enamored most people are with him. His passing was nice, and he did make a nice breakout pass to Michalek but aside from that he was average to below average offensively (for him) and while his defence was solid I definitely wouldn't call it exceptional. He did well though.
I disagree. He was all over the ice in a good way tonite. He didn't make any bone head plays defensively, infact he made a bunch of very good plays. And he was his usual solid self defensively.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:29 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six View Post
I concur. I hope PMac stays with the lines that work, being Greening-Spezza-9MM and the third line of Daug-Smith-Condra.

Let Filatov work with Alfreddson who is defensively responsible and Foligno who can work the boards if they have to. Alfy has the finish that Filatov needs as a playmaker.
This. The second line was not so good because a playmaker missed there. And the first line... I know Filatov can be a shooter I saw it in his first season in Columbus but why you should change his style of play? The third line has a great chemistry IMO one of the best third lines in NHL.

Btw, Spezza was good but not so good as Smith I thought...

And when Rundblad with Cowen get experiences... you will have one of the best defense in NHL.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:32 PM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Here goes the overhyping of Karlsson again. He played a solid game but he really wasn't anything exceptional. Both of his secondary assists were the result of someone else's hard work. He really didn't do anything himself offensively though he did a solid job in his own end and I really don't understand why he would get a star nod over Gonchar or Spezza.

No, I am not saying Rundblad was better, or that Karlsson played a bad game. Just that he didn't stand out tonight.
Karlsson is always going to have lots of secondary assists. He excels on the break out. Both his passes bought time for Gonchar which allowed him to make a nice pass to Spezza.

The Latvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
This. The second line was not so good because a playmaker missed there. And the first line... I know Filatov can be a shooter I saw it in his first season in Columbus but why you should change his style of play? The third line has a great chemistry IMO one of the best third lines in NHL.

Btw, Spezza was good but not so good as Smith I thought...

And when Rundblad with Cowen get experiences... you will have one of the best defense in NHL
I only bolded the last two but I agree with this whole post. Filatov really needs to try and snipe some more. He has a wicked shot.

With that said Smith has really been a revelation this season. He just continues to improve and it's insane to watch it unfold. I wonder what his plateau really is? Sometimes he shows flashes of things you really don't expect from him.

Cowen and Rundblad as a D pairing might actually be really impressive. They seem to communicate well and complement each other as well.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Wham City

Spezza's first goal imo is one of the best he's ever scored. Love the strong move.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Manny*

Quote:
I only bolded the last two but I agree with this whole post. Filatov really needs to try and snipe some more. He has a wicked shot.

With that said Smith has really been a revelation this season. He just continues to improve and it's insane to watch it unfold. I wonder what his plateau really is? Sometimes he shows flashes of things you really don't expect from him.

Cowen and Rundblad as a D pairing might actually be really impressive. They seem to communicate well and complement each other as well.
They might work as a powerplay pairing, as well. Cowen could be a one-timer threat on the right side with Rundblad on the left.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:04 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Congrats DR7!

Filatov played awesome considering the amount he has played lately.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Filatov was much more noticeable this time: he was leading the play rather than following it. As long as he is progressing I can't complain.

The Canes no goal was a saviour, that probably would have been a goal if not for the Pens OT winner yesterday!

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Karlssonlee

Filatov played great imo.

Can't believe that was his 4th game in 4 days either. Hope he keeps up the good play. He looked real good.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Upgrayedd

sorry a little OT but does anyone have a nice December wallpaper up yet?

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Yeah big ups to Filatov's play. If he continues to play with that kind of confidence he'll get more minutes and start putting up numbers IMO.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:17 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Karlsson was the best player on the ice, as he is most nights. CJam, maybe it was an average game for him, but he was still better than everyone else. Ridiculous skating with and without the puck, great passes, hardly any mistakes, great defensively. He can control the flow of the game at will. Just because he doesn't dominate with his physical play, doesn't mean he isn't dominant. He may not have had his best game in the offensive zone, but like I said, still dominant.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Karlsson was the best player on the ice, as he is most nights. CJam, maybe it was an average game for him, but he was still better than everyone else. Ridiculous skating with and without the puck, great passes, hardly any mistakes, great defensively. He can control the flow of the game at will. Just because he doesn't dominate with his physical play, doesn't mean he isn't dominant. He may not have had his best game in the offensive zone, but like I said, still dominant.
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think he was one of the better players on the ice but definitely not the clear-cut best (IMO.) If he were the clear-cut best player on the ice he would have at least gotten a nod -- it's not like he didn't produce.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Canuckman44

Karllson, Rundblad, Cowen. Do you think that if they all develop to what is projected the team will only be able to afford two of them in 3 years unless they have several minimum wage players.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:42 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think he was one of the better players on the ice but definitely not the clear-cut best (IMO.) If he were the clear-cut best player on the ice he would have at least gotten a nod -- it's not like he didn't produce.
Nobody from the Canes really stood out, he was probably better than all of them. On the Sens it's between him and Smith. Smith was awesome and a beast, but missed some scoring chances and Karlsson's skill level is on a whole other level. Smith can't control the game like Karlsson. What I like about Karlsson is his escapability in the defensive zone. He just grabs the puck and takes a couple of steps to find open ice. Then he slows it down, or keeps going full tilt at which point nobody can take it away from him in the neutral zone. Nobody else can do that on the Sens.

In other news, Filatov was awesome. He's an NHLer if he wants to be, plain and simple.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
Karllson, Rundblad, Cowen. Do you think that if they all develop to what is projected the team will only be able to afford two of them in 3 years unless they have several minimum wage players.
This is something I try not to think about too much, but if they keep getting better, I can sort of see this becoming a Chara vs. Redden like decision again. Not that I'm comparing our three youngsters to either Redden or Chara, but that we'll likely be forced to give up some talent at some point.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:47 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hands View Post
This is something I try not to think about too much, but if they keep getting better, I can sort of see this becoming a Chara vs. Redden like decision again. Not that I'm comparing our three youngsters to either Redden or Chara, but that we'll likely be forced to give up some talent at some point.
If Euge don't mind spending to the cap, I don't think it'll be a huge problem. Especially if Karlsson takes between 5 and 6. Less than 10 % of the cap for Karlsson is great. The re-emergence of the second contract will help a lot.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Looking at our prospect pool if even half of them develop as are expected we're going to have some decisions to make if there are no discount contracts taken.

Old
11-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

Tonight was probably the most impressive I've seen him winning the puck over below our goal line, skating it to safety, and breaking it out either himself or to someone else. He sent Michalek in alone...and he earned that secondary assist with the saucer pass over a stick to Gonchar, a pass not every offensive Dman attempts. Beating that stick/player...means there's a widened gap in the defense for Gonchar and Spezza to exploit.

He wasn't a world beater on defense tonight. But the load he carried on defense was more impressive than Gonchar tonight and he was all over the ice. Our strongest two-way defensemen...

You clearly don't enjoy watching him play as much as many others do.

Quote:
The thing is people don't bother criticizing an average offensive game from him because they know what he's brought game in game out, they see the production, they see how he leads forwards in all alone, they see he's in the top end of shots on goal for Dmen. Even with that, he had 2 assists tonight and sprung Michalek alone. He broke the puck out very well tonight.

He was very good tonight, there's no getting around it. If it was an average night for him, we clearly beginning to treat him like a player we expect strong play in both ends from. Awesome...he's getting there before I thought he would.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:44 PM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Thinking back to the game. I would like Rundblad to be smarter with the puck at the point. He shoots it into guys too much. Too many blocked shots. I'm sure he will learn.

The Latvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Caje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
True, but there were opportunities to penalize Carolina and even it out a little that were not taken.

The Cowen call was atrocious. If the Spezza one was legit, they got away with several.

I don't bother complaining about the refs much but when you hear that Carolina's heading towars 5 years straight leading the league in PP opportunities...you can see why.
I really don't think it's because of a conspiracy. They just don't fight as much as other teams - they really don't have any "enforcers" to do it for them. I'm sure if you looked at just minor penalties it would be much more even.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Answer

Karlsson - 5 - 6 mill

Rundblad - 4 - 4.5 mill

Cowen - 3.5 - 4 mill

Lee/??? + Carkner/??? + Weircoech/??? = 3 - 5 mill altogether

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caje View Post
I really don't think it's because of a conspiracy. They just don't fight as much as other teams - they really don't have any "enforcers" to do it for them. I'm sure if you looked at just minor penalties it would be much more even.
I was under the assumption we were talking about man advantage opportunities.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote