HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

[Shocker] WeŽll donŽt acquire Weber or Suter!! Other Options?

Old
11-28-2011, 12:09 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
IF the Preds don't resign Suter or IF the Preds don't agree to a contract ahead of time w/ Weber, I'd assume that means they really cannot afford to sign them both.

If Weber is available as a restricted free agent, I would go hard after Weber, offer sheeting him @ the max cap hit allowable that still puts us in @ the level of compensation for 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd (probably like 7.8M or so). I would offer him a 7 year deal... maybe more. I would then max front-load that deal so that the Preds would need to pay Weber 13.5M for each of the first 3 years of the deal if they were to match. If you could get Weber for that offer sheet, you'd be set. A core of Giroux, JVR, Schenn, Couturier, Voracek, Read, Weber going forward would be incredible. Plus you'd still have all of your picks this year in a very deep draft.

If Weber isn't available & Suter is available as an unrestricted free agent, I'd go hard after him.
No one is going to disagree with you, and I'd do anything to have them on this team...but realistically, the NSH brass have already stated they can afford all 3 and intend on resigning them. Even if they don't, EVERY TEAM in the NHL would most likely put in some sort of offer to either of them. I can't imagine the Flyers would have the best offer.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:09 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
No one is going to disagree with you, and I'd do anything to have them on this team...but realistically, the NSH brass have already stated they can afford all 3 and intend on resigning them. Even if they don't, EVERY TEAM in the NHL would most likely put in some sort of offer to either of them. I can't imagine the Flyers would have the best offer.
They might've stated they can afford all 3 and intend to re-sign them, but the Devils say the same thing about Parise. Any team in this situation makes that statement. If you can actually re sign them all, then you're going to say you have room for them. If you can't actually re-sign them all, you're still going to say you can just to keep the trade value high. When a team's hand is "forced" and everyone in the NHL knows it, the value goes down. See Flyers Gagne and numerous other examples.

As to your assertion that several teams would offer sheet Weber, I state the following:
Just like everyone offer sheeted Stamkos?

Realistically, nobody is ever going to offer 4 1st round picks for a player. In a cap environment, this just will not happen. 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd is the max level teams will probably be willing to offer sheet. That limits the AAV of the deal to about $7.8M. The Flyers are one of the richest teams in the NHL and I think Snyder would have no problem offering a max front loaded deal w/ the highest # of years to beat any other team's offer. And furthermore, Weber gets to choose which offer sheet to sign. If Weber decides he wants out of NSH, we'd likely be one of his ideal destinations and if it's even close between us and a team like NYI, I'm sure he takes our offer.

Now a UFA Suter? That's a different story. We won't be able to win that bidding war IMO... unless Suter wants to come here and is willing to take less $$$.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:51 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
They might've stated they can afford all 3 and intend to re-sign them, but the Devils say the same thing about Parise. Any team in this situation makes that statement. If you can actually re sign them all, then you're going to say you have room for them. If you can't actually re-sign them all, you're still going to say you can just to keep the trade value high. When a team's hand is "forced" and everyone in the NHL knows it, the value goes down. See Flyers Gagne and numerous other examples.

As to your assertion that several teams would offer sheet Weber, I state the following:

Realistically, nobody is ever going to offer 4 1st round picks for a player. In a cap environment, this just will not happen. 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd is the max level teams will probably be willing to offer sheet. That limits the AAV of the deal to about $7.8M. The Flyers are one of the richest teams in the NHL and I think Snyder would have no problem offering a max front loaded deal w/ the highest # of years to beat any other team's offer. And furthermore, Weber gets to choose which offer sheet to sign. If Weber decides he wants out of NSH, we'd likely be one of his ideal destinations and if it's even close between us and a team like NYI, I'm sure he takes our offer.

Now a UFA Suter? That's a different story. We won't be able to win that bidding war IMO... unless Suter wants to come here and is willing to take less $$$.
There's a difference between Nashville and New Jersey..
New Jersey has management that put the money up for the year year in and year out.. Leave the debt talk out of this conversation

Nashville has always had management that had to work with what the owner was willing to spend, which was not much more than the floor. He is willing to put money up to keep all of Rinne, Suter, and Weber as long as they want market value.

I personally have no doubt that Suter and Weber will be resigned. And if one is not resigned, i believe it will be Weber who will be traded for a more than a lot of people think.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:44 AM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
With the signing of Coburn we don't have a lot of capspace next season. JVR is also entering his new crazy contract. So honestly the chances of Carle coming back next season are slim. Unless they want to gut the offense again.
My wording was bad in my post. I meant I don't see both Mez and Carle going although I do expect one of them to be gone.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:56 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

I would love to have either Weber or Suter, with Prongs on the tail end of his career and Kimmo nearing his, this D core scares me without those two, so what are some viable trades/signings the Flyers could possibly execute to replace, or make the D better for this year and next season?

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:01 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

Realistically, nobody is ever going to offer 4 1st round picks for a player. In a cap environment, this just will not happen. 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd is the max level teams will probably be willing to offer sheet. That limits the AAV of the deal to about $7.8M. The Flyers are one of the richest teams in the NHL and I think Snyder would have no problem offering a max front loaded deal w/ the highest # of years to beat any other team's offer. And furthermore, Weber gets to choose which offer sheet to sign. If Weber decides he wants out of NSH, we'd likely be one of his ideal destinations and if it's even close between us and a team like NYI, I'm sure he takes our
Have you never heard of Thomas vanek?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:53 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
My wording was bad in my post. I meant I don't see both Mez and Carle going although I do expect one of them to be gone.
my bet is Carle

i hope to god it's Carle

some small market team is going to sign him to a $5m contract, and I'm just going to laugh my ass off

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Mota

They need to pick up someone with Pronger being out. If 3/6 of their D is going to be 2 rookies and matt calre for a month...this team is in trouble.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:13 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
They need to pick up someone with Pronger being out. If 3/6 of their D is going to be 2 rookies and matt calre for a month...this team is in trouble.
I disagree. The D needs to step up and play to their ability. Give them a couple weeks. If they continue to disappoint, then make a move. Pronger is our best defender and future HoFer, yada yada...but Kimmo, Coburn, Carle, and Mez are talented and experienced enough to pick up the slack and the rookies too. They need to step it up now.

Old
11-28-2011, 01:18 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I disagree. The D needs to step up and play to their ability. Give them a couple weeks. If they continue to disappoint, then make a move. Pronger is our best defender and future HoFer, yada yada...but Kimmo, Coburn, Carle, and Mez are talented and experienced enough to pick up the slack and the rookies too. They need to now.
the defense has been atrocious WITH pronger.

the defense has already shown that they are incompetent and even more atrocious without pronger. Mez has been extremely disappointing this season. his play, especially positionally and on the PK has just been terrible. Carle has been even worse than i initially thought he was. He constantly turns the puck over under pressure, especially down low and in the corners. Coburn has been good, but he is not the type that can completely anchor a pairing, let alone a defense in general. he has moments and games of greatness when hes playing physical and shutting players down, but we don't see that coburn more than a few times a year let alone on a consistent basis. Timonen is still a great defenseman but it's obvious that he's lost a step, and i think it's unfair to expect him to play like it's 3 years ago. Timonen will be fine, but we cannot rely on him to keep this defense from getting worse.

a move needs to be made or this team is really in trouble.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:23 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

I've heard rumors of Keith Ballard, Bryan Allen, and Cody Franson being available. Would we want any of them and what would it cost us? I personally think Ballard would be pretty good on this team.

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Don't want any of them

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:56 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
I've heard rumors of Keith Ballard, Bryan Allen, and Cody Franson being available. Would we want any of them and what would it cost us? I personally think Ballard would be pretty good on this team.
i'd be interested in Franson, but not any of the others. And even in Franson's case, i wouldn't give up much for him.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:31 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Ballard has been terrible in Vancouver ever since they got him, and has a 4.2M cap hit. No thanks. Franson couldn't even make the Maple Leafs roster, despite Komisarek and Schenn doing their best to give him a chance. Allen has been pretty decent for Carolina this year from what I understand, but we would still have trouble fitting him under the cap.

If those are the options available, I'd prefer to try to ride it out with guys like Gustafsson (when he returns), Bourdon and Marshall.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:40 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
I've always liked Ballard, but his cap hit really is terrible for what he brings.