HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Bulldogs want an empty arena???

Old
11-16-2011, 08:35 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
We've been averaging 101% of our capacity at Mile One Centre. Couldn't get a single ticket for Saturday's game.

I think it different here. The AHL left the Maritimes the Q came in and the fans seem to prefer the Q. When the SJML left, the Q came in right away, but it was a big flop.
They left the Q because people didn't want to play there because of the long bus ride. But AHL I dunno how their transportation works, fly then bus?

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:25 PM
huber14

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I have honestly always been of the idea that AHL teams need to be within 500km of their team if possible (and I honestly don't see why it couldn't be). It would help drive the sales of the team a ton. Here in Fort McMurray, we could probably bring in 7,000 a night if we had the Oilers AHL team. I imagine Red Deer would do well with a Calgary franchise as well. Abbotsford should have Vancouvers team. I think it would drive ticket sales for these teams through the roof to what they are used to if all the teams fell within the fan base for the main team.
Have you seen a AHL map? Only 1 team outside of the central time zone. That wouldn't work for the west coast NHL teams.

huber14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Jackets Woodchuck

A few thoughts:

The Bulldogs don't have multiple pricing tiers for tickets? This is INSANE!!! American and Canadian dollars are roughly on par last I checked, so $26 isn't bad for a good seat at an AHL game, but is exorbitant for a bad one.

Whose bright idea was it to put the Habs farm team in Ontario?

A quick question re: many Canadians' dislike of the Minor Pro game:

Is the logic behind it more

a) "If you can't make the NHL right out of juniors, quit the sport and get a real job!" (i.e. Opposed to the very idea of professional-level player development - basically an NFL/CFL attitude)

b) "OK, some guys do need time to develop, but they should do it for free or behind closed doors at the practice rink" (i.e. OK with the idea of development leagues but viewing them as unsuitable as a city's primary team - a task better suited to the NHL and Juniors)?

Jackets Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:26 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackets Woodchuck View Post
A few thoughts:

The Bulldogs don't have multiple pricing tiers for tickets? This is INSANE!!! American and Canadian dollars are roughly on par last I checked, so $26 isn't bad for a good seat at an AHL game, but is exorbitant for a bad one.

a) "If you can't make the NHL right out of juniors, quit the sport and get a real job!" (i.e. Opposed to the very idea of professional-level player development - basically an NFL/CFL attitude)

b) "OK, some guys do need time to develop, but they should do it for free or behind closed doors at the practice rink" (i.e. OK with the idea of development leagues but viewing them as unsuitable as a city's primary team - a task better suited to the NHL and Juniors)?
I look at your last part like this....many of the ECHL Guys are going nowhere, just too far down and it's a numbers game. the only really consistant position that stands a chance is the fickle position of goalie(I compare it much like being a pitcher)in the AHL you have guys but partially due to rule more than anything else. These guys are on the food chain but I would say Junior players are ahead of them(if age eligible)Some of it is all just a numbers game.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:51 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackets Woodchuck View Post
A few thoughts:

Look at hockey out side of the nhl in the gta-hamilton area take ahl sure the bull dogs are the habs team but look at the marlies sure attendance is a bit better but not alot look at the ohl not great support this has more to do with the area not having a real big taste for non nhl hockey.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote