HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract?

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

vCash: 500
Hopefully he will. I think Reese will make Bryzgalov not suck with the system we have. And I hope that the defense will play in synch with Bryzgalov in those critical moments where a scoring chance could be created.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:07 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Sit Bryzgalov for the next 10 games IMO. Name Bob the starter publicly. Let the media have full access to Bryzgalov. Let's see if we can get him to go back home to Russia and the KHL... cause that's the only way we're getting that god awful contract off our books.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Sit Bryzgalov for the next 10 games IMO. Name Bob the starter publicly. Let the media have full access to Bryzgalov. Let's see if we can get him to go back home to Russia and the KHL... cause that's the only way we're getting that god awful contract off our books.
sarcasm or no sarcasm??

IMO you´re a bit to fast on him! Let him proove his skills for 2 seasons. If he can´t step up for us, than make him go to Russia! It isn´t his fault, that Snider really wants to throw his money under the bus! I don´t blame him for his contract, i blame Homer and Snider for it!

And i will blame him after two seasons when he underperform like he had till he signs with us!

Old
11-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Damaged Goods

Will this thread ever die?

Just as with the Briere contract, Bryzgalov's end of the bargain cannot tallied until at least several playoff seasons with the Flyers are under his belt.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Hopefully he will. I think Reese will make Bryzgalov not suck with the system we have. And I hope that the defense will play in synch with Bryzgalov in those critical moments where a scoring chance could be created.
I'm not trying to pick fights here, but if you're going to post on these boards, much less refer to the Flyers as "we", then that avatar might be in need of an update.

I think Bryz looks slow and stiff next to Bob so if he wants to keep his spot he had better start working on that because Bob's technique and ability to make reflex saves with his hands doesn't appear to be getting any worse (those were the two, admittedly critical, things that Bryz had/has over him).

Old
11-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Jester

Bob still gives up a few too many of the "that shouldn't of happened" goals... which will leave the door open. If/when he gets that under wraps, it's going to make the Bryz contract decision look terrible regardless of what Bryz is doing or not doing, as Bob will be right there with him, or better than him.

Old
11-28-2011, 12:22 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I think Bryz looks slow and stiff next to Bob so if he wants to keep his spot he had better start working on that because Bob's technique and ability to make reflex saves with his hands doesn't appear to be getting any worse (those were the two, admittedly critical, things that Bryz had/has over him).
bryz is slow. He's not an athletic goalie at all. Get him moving side to side and you will beat him.
He's very consistent in net (good positioning), good at the first save and has excellent rebound control.
Looking at his last game vs nyi....the 3rd goal...coulda had that, but a backdoor pass and a wide open shot from between the circles...come on team D.
Bobs rebounds are awful...he's in panic mode alot which looks great on the save highlight reel, but is hard to gameplan for.
Bryz is way better if this team D can get it together.

Old
11-28-2011, 12:28 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Bob still gives up a few too many of the "that shouldn't of happened" goals...
Which was leightons problem, birons, boucher, ect..

I'm honestly not seeing this from Bryz, maybe 2-3..."wtf was that" goals all year. The team D is giving up some real choice opportunities.

Old
11-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
bryz is slow. He's not an athletic goalie at all. Get him moving side to side and you will beat him.
He's very consistent in net (good positioning), good at the first save and has excellent rebound control.
Looking at his last game vs nyi....the 3rd goal...coulda had that, but a backdoor pass and a wide open shot from between the circles...come on team D.
Bobs rebounds are awful...he's in panic mode alot which looks great on the save highlight reel, but is hard to gameplan for.
Bryz is way better if this team D can get it together.
The point in paying through the urethra to get Bryz was to have a goalie who isn't dependent on the defense for their performance. If they wanted that sort of performance, they could have paid much less.

11-28-2011, 01:14 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The point in paying through the urethra to get Bryz was to have a goalie who isn't dependent on the defense for their performance. If they wanted that sort of performance, they could have paid much less.
There are maybe 2 goalies I think that routinely fit this bill, fleury and thomas. Guys like this are super rare. Bob has the athleticism...but non of the other skills yet.
We've went cheap for "cheap" system guys...and they still can't stop the first shot worth a darn.

Old
11-28-2011, 01:24 PM
forgeSHIELD

Pens fan here coming in peace.

I remember Bryz being a solid goal tender when he was in Phoenix. Since I haven't been watching the Flyers games I'm not really sure what might be wrong with him over in Philly. Can someone clue me in? Is Lavi hell on goalies, something in the water, defensive trouble, or has he just lost his game?

Old
11-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
There are maybe 2 goalies I think that routinely fit this bill, fleury and thomas. Guys like this are super rare. Bob has the athleticism...but non of the other skills yet.
We've went cheap for "cheap" system guys...and they still can't stop the first shot worth a darn.
You forget Miller, Luongo, Price, Rinne, Vokoun, Quick, Lundqvist, Ward...I'm sure there are others that I'm missing.

The point is...we paid Bryzagalov as if he is one of those goalies. As long as he isn't performing like one of them, he isn't worth the contract. To truly ever be worth the contract, he'd need to play at that high level for quite a while as well, not just for the next 3 or 4 seasons.

Old
11-28-2011, 01:28 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Which was leightons problem, birons, boucher, ect..

I'm honestly not seeing this from Bryz, maybe 2-3..."wtf was that" goals all year. The team D is giving up some real choice opportunities.
Wait... are you serious? How many times has Bryz been beaten this year b/c he was out of position and couldn't recover to get the pad against the post (where it should have been already). There have literally been 5 of those goals already. He's had 2 goals slipped under his pad too during jam plays @ the front of the net. That's 7 freaking goals due to lack of positioning / laziness. And there are several others where he was out of position too that don't fall into those 2 neat categories. His positioning has been horrible this year. He's been nothing short of slow and lazy.

I'm not asking him to make Fleury highlight reel saves. I'd just like a goalie that hugs the fugging post when the puck is behind the net or a side-angle shot is coming in. I'd like a goalie that knows how to get his pad down so the puck doesn't slide in under it.

Is that so much to ask when we're paying the guy 5.67 MILLION for the next bagillion years?

Old
11-28-2011, 01:32 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgeSHIELD View Post
Pens fan here coming in peace.

I remember Bryz being a solid goal tender when he was in Phoenix. Since I haven't been watching the Flyers games I'm not really sure what might be wrong with him over in Philly. Can someone clue me in? Is Lavi hell on goalies, something in the water, defensive trouble, or has he just lost his game?
Big contract, fans that a) come to games and b) boo a lot, lots of clueless media. The pressure seems to be getting to him.

Old
11-28-2011, 01:48 PM
forgeSHIELD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Big contract, fans that a) come to games and b) boo a lot, lots of clueless media. The pressure seems to be getting to him.
So does that kind of make Philadelphia poison for goal tenders? I'm not trying to start a fight, but it seems that goal tenders need to be held and nursed back to good health as opposed to being booed. Would it help him at all if he became more of a public figure like Talbot did in Pittsburgh? I mean by all accounts on the Pens board he is still very much loved and respected despite, "working for the enemy." I mean Talbot made mistakes, but no one wanted to ship him off like some people have suggested Malkin, Staal, and Fleury be traded away during their slumps?

Old
11-28-2011, 02:00 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
You forget Miller, Luongo, Price, Rinne, Vokoun, Quick, Lundqvist, Ward...I'm sure there are others that I'm missing.
Aside from Rinne (physical freak). I don't consider any of those guys to be the same level. All the guys you mentioned are top tier.
Every goalie gets beat...TT and MAF make some of the most silly recovery saves I've ever seen night in and night out.

Old
11-28-2011, 02:05 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Wait... are you serious? How many times has Bryz been beaten this year b/c he was out of position and couldn't recover to get the pad against the post (where it should have been already). There have literally been 5 of those goals already. He's had 2 goals slipped under his pad too during jam plays @ the front of the net. That's 7 freaking goals due to lack of positioning / laziness. And there are several others where he was out of position too that don't fall into those 2 neat categories. His positioning has been horrible this year. He's been nothing short of slow and lazy.

I'm not asking him to make Fleury highlight reel saves. I'd just like a goalie that hugs the fugging post when the puck is behind the net or a side-angle shot is coming in. I'd like a goalie that knows how to get his pad down so the puck doesn't slide in under it.

Is that so much to ask when we're paying the guy 5.67 MILLION for the next bagillion years?
I'm not seeing it routinely.
Early on there was alot of odd deflections off of our D.

Have any recent examples of the post issue?

Old
11-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Aside from Rinne (physical freak). I don't consider any of those guys to be the same level. All the guys you mentioned are top tier.
Every goalie gets beat...TT and MAF make some of the most silly recovery saves I've ever seen night in and night out.
Those guys all steal games that their team should not have won.

How many games has Bryz been stealing for us?

Old
11-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Bob still gives up a few too many of the "that shouldn't of happened" goals... which will leave the door open. If/when he gets that under wraps, it's going to make the Bryz contract decision look terrible regardless of what Bryz is doing or not doing, as Bob will be right there with him, or better than him.
What makes you think he will ever stop doing it.

Old
11-28-2011, 02:20 PM
BringBackStevens

Bryz has not stolen a single game for us.

That's just the objective truth. He has not been truly great in a single game. For the contract he recieved and the expectations placed on him, thats nowhere close to good enough

Really, despite all the shakeups and the supposed goalie upgrade, this team looks basically the same as it has for the past 3-4 years night in and night out

Old
11-28-2011, 02:26 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Those guys all steal games that their team should not have won.

How many games has Bryz been stealing for us?
He hasn't really needed to thus far. He's played very well in some games, and in others not so well. He COULD have stolen a couple here or there, but didn't, but in a lot of the games the Flyers didn't really need him to and in those games he has played well. Let's not forget that we are barely a quarter through the season. The team has ten losses (Reg and OT or Shootout included) and seven are credited to Bryz. He kept us in at least two or three games and maybe a little more. Yes, he **** the bed a few times, but he's also played well. Maybe next year he'll go 82-0.

Old
11-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
He hasn't really needed to thus far. He's played very well in some games, and in others not so well. He COULD have stolen a couple here or there, but didn't, but in a lot of the games the Flyers didn't really need him to and in those games he has played well. Let's not forget that we are barely a quarter through the season. The team has ten losses (Reg and OT or Shootout included) and seven are credited to Bryz. He kept us in at least two or three games and maybe a little more. Yes, he **** the bed a few times, but he's also played well. Maybe next year he'll go 82-0.
He has absolutely needed to steal some games; for instance, any one of those games where the team wasn't playing well...it would have been nice to see our superstar goalie bail them out. That's the point of having a top flight goaltender...so he can get you wins on his own. You can stop the 82-0 hyperbole as well, nobody expects him to do that. We just expect the goaltender who's getting paid a crapload to actually play like a top level goaltender. .897% is NOT going to cut it.

Old
11-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
He has absolutely needed to steal some games; for instance, any one of those games where the team wasn't playing well...it would have been nice to see our superstar goalie bail them out. That's the point of having a top flight goaltender...so he can get you wins on his own. You can stop the 82-0 hyperbole as well, nobody expects him to do that. We just expect the goaltender who's getting paid a crapload to actually play like a top level goaltender. .897% is NOT going to cut it.
When has he "needed to" steal some games. When the team was sitting first in the conference? It's amazing how many people don't realise that we are 20 games into the season. The same people that wanted Hartnell gone after 10 games, same people that are harping on about Briere, and were about mezaros and JVR.

Just give it some freaking time

Old
11-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
When has he "needed to" steal some games. When the team was sitting first in the conference? It's amazing how many people don't realise that we are 20 games into the season. The same people that wanted Hartnell gone after 10 games, same people that are harping on about Briere, and were about mezaros and JVR.

Just give it some freaking time
Uh, like I said...at any point at all where the team was struggling and could have used a solid performance in net. This team is going to be without Pronger for a while, Jagr is injured, JVR is injured, etc. This team is going to struggle. They've already struggled and been inconsistent.

Every freaking point in the standings counts. Bryz is being paid to earn us extra points in the standings, and so far he hasn't done that. If 2.89 GAA and .897% is fine by you after 20 games though, I guess that's your thing. Personally, I don't like to see such crappy performance from a guy pulling down 5.6 million in cap dollars on an insanely long contract, and who has shown little signs of improving or taking control.

With all the injuries to key players, he needs to begin stepping up now. Really...he needed to step up long ago. I sure hope he does soon.

Old
11-28-2011, 02:48 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
He hasn't needed to steal some games though. The team is three points back of first place with a game in hand and a +12 goal differential. He's played 16 games. They have only lost one game by more than three goals but have five one goal wins and a shutout under Bryz. Yes, they probably could have two more wins if Bryz stole a couple games, but he didn't. I bet Patrick Roy and Marty Brodeur in his prime could have stolen some games that they wound up losing too. He is getting paid a lot and should steal some games for us. There are sixty or so left.

Closed Thread