HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kirk Muller New Hurricanes Coach

Old
11-28-2011, 10:46 AM
cleangene

vCash: 500
Kirk Muller New Hurricanes Coach

So much for the hopes of new blood someday igniting new enthusiasm to the PREDS program. From On The Forecheck:

The second NHL head coaching change of the day sees the Nashville Predators lose Kirk Muller as head coach of the Milwaukee Admirals, as he takes the job in Carolina after the Hurricanes fired Paul Maurice, as reported on Twitter by Bob McKenzie.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:49 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
So much for the hopes of new blood someday igniting new enthusiasm to the PREDS program. From On The Forecheck:

The second NHL head coaching change of the day sees the Nashville Predators lose Kirk Muller as head coach of the Milwaukee Admirals, as he takes the job in Carolina after the Hurricanes fired Paul Maurice, as reported on Twitter by Bob McKenzie.
Can't blame the guy.
Well deserved.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:57 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
Can't blame the guy.
Well deserved.
Agreed. Any idea as to who's next?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:47 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Agreed. Any idea as to who's next?
Probably Ian Herbers.

Best of luck to Muller, but this kinda puts us up a creek... guess he learned that trick in Montreal.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:59 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Probably Ian Herbers.

Best of luck to Muller, but this kinda puts us up a creek... guess he learned that trick in Montreal.
Good call.

JoshuaCooper
Just talked to David Poile. Ian Herbers will take over as the head coach of Milwaukee. No "interim" label there.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:08 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Can't really blame a guy when the bigs call.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Can't blame him but damn does that suck for us

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:27 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Gelinas will be the assistant coach until a new assistant is hired.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Can't blame him but damn does that suck for us
Big blow for sure. There are only 30 nhl coaching jobs available though, so when you get a chance you take it. Good luck Kirk.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:18 PM
sighthndlady

Curious to see how Gelinas will do in the assistant job. He seems to really like the player development role - maybe it won't just be interim.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:54 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Gelinas with the Ads could be the silver lining to this, but Muller will be missed. My friends in the Carolinas just gained a good coach, hopefully the job won't ruin him.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Yup ... It's an East Hastings kind of day

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 2400
Nothing you guys don't already know, but a very classy move by your organization in even allowing the Hurricanes to talk to Muller. They lost a great coach from their system and didn't get anything out of it. Impressive!

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
Nothing you guys don't already know, but a very classy move by your organization in even allowing the Hurricanes to talk the Muller. They lost a great coach from their system and didn't get anything out of it. Impressive!
that's why I'm still pissed the **** off about it ... we didn't get a pick/player anything in return ... just adds to the daftness of Poile's track record in my book

Old
11-28-2011, 05:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
that's why I'm still pissed the **** off about it ... we didn't get a pick/player anything in return ... just adds to the daftness of Poile's track record in my book
?

You can't trade a player for a coach...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
?

Can you not get a draft pick ? ... Is that not permissible in the CBA ? ... I don't know honestly ... Someone Anyone ... 101st ?

Old
11-28-2011, 06:11 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Can you not get a draft pick ? ... Is that not permissible in the CBA ? ... I don't know honestly ... Someone Anyone ... 101st ?
It's not part of the CBA as far as I know. Since it's a move up the ladder, there's not much a team can do to protect it's coaches. If they wanted Trotz however, we could ask for compensation since it's a lateral move. I'm pretty sure the NFL works that way as well. It's never really an issue but coaches are usually assistants or minor league coaches that get the call and no GM or team is going to stand in the way of a coach finally getting a shot at the big time. We knew it would happen but not this soon. We lost a good coach but the system is strong enough to survive the hit.

As far as this being a black mark on Poile's track record, is he really supposed to stand in the way of a minor league coach getting a shot at the big time? That would've been worse IMO.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
It's not part of the CBA as far as I know. Since it's a move up the ladder, there's not much a team can do to protect it's coaches. If they wanted Trotz however, we could ask for compensation since it's a lateral move. I'm pretty sure the NFL works that way as well. It's never really an issue but coaches are usually assistants or minor league coaches that get the call and no GM or team is going to stand in the way of a coach finally getting a shot at the big time. We knew it would happen but not this soon. We lost a good coach but the system is strong enough to survive the hit.

As far as this being a black mark on Poile's track record, is he really supposed to stand in the way of a minor league coach getting a shot at the big time? That would've been worse IMO.
I just checked the CBA ... and nothing ... I think it's something that needs to be discussed in the next CBA ... I just think it kind of sucks that we lose a lot of talent (on/off the ice every year) and we never seem to get compensated for it.

Old
11-28-2011, 06:23 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
I just checked the CBA ... and nothing ... I think it's something that needs to be discussed in the next CBA ... I just think it kind of sucks that we lose a lot of talent (on/off the ice every year) and we never seem to get compensated for it.
It's a coach. If they move up the ladder there's nothing we can do. No sport has that in their CBA. The CBA is for the players and the owners. The coaches really get left out of it. It's always been that way. Would you like it if at your job that you weren't allowed to move up because your new employer wasn't going to give compensation to your old employer for stealing them away? It's just the way it works. Am I bummed, sure but it's not the end of the world to lose Muller. As long as Trotz is here, he had nowhere to go and he was a hot commodity on the coaching market.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:28 PM
29dryden29

We are hoping it is a tuneup for Capt Kirk give him some experiance as HC in the show then we can get rid of Martin at seasons end and bring Muller back into the fold in MTL. Chances are slim but I can sure hope.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:39 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

anyone have a list of what other org. have lost in the past few years?

We have lost:
Claude Noel (WPG, via CLB)
Ray Shero (PIT)
Mike Santos (FLA)
Kirk Muller (CAR)
Horachek interviewed with Dallas for the HC job

Am I missing anyone? I would think Detroit has lost a few-Yzerman, Todd McClellan. It is something interesting though

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:47 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
It's a coach, not a player. For Carolina to talk to him while under contract required permission from the Preds, but, there is no compensation if a coach gets hired. We lost a guy with less than 30 games experience as a head coach and allowed him to take advantage of a great opportunity.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:52 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
?

It happened in MLB around 1985. I think the Pirates traded their manager (Chuck Tanner) for a catcher (Manny Sanguillen). It was described at the time as an "absurd trade". I think it was to the Braves. Tanner won the 1979 WS, then it was all down hill. The Pirates lost 104 or 105 games during the 1985 season. Dave Parker got in trouble for cocaine, one of six Pirates that had a public drug problem.

BTW, the Preds didn't have to give up anything for Muller.

Last edited by adsfan: 11-28-2011 at 09:08 PM.
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Muller wasn't under contract this summer...

Congrats to both Coach Muller and Coach Herbers on their promotions today! Both came to Milwaukee looking to advance their careers and I'd say mission accomplished!

Herbers is ready to be an AHL head coach and bringing in Martin Gelinas to work as his assistant in the interim should ease any transition issues.

As for those upset about not getting compensation for Muller, it is due to Poile's policy of allowing members of the organization to freely seek promotions outside the organization that we get the top quality coaches, managers, and front office personnel that we do in the first place! It reflects positively on both the Admirals and the Predators organization that all four of their prior head coaches are now coaching in the NHL.

Congrats again to Coach Muller and Coach Herbers!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:13 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
It happened in MLB around 1985. I think the Pirates traded their manager (Chuck Tanner) for a catcher (Manny Sanguillen). It was described at the time as an "absurd trade". I think it was to the Braves. Tanner won the 1979 WS, then it was all down hill. The Pirates lost 104 or 105 games during the 1985 season. Dave Parker got in trouble for cocaine, one of six Pirates that had a public drug problem.

Rays traded Randy Winn for Lou Piniella as well.

I think the problem is this happened in the middle of the season. I don't recall anything like this happening in any other sport. You want to fire your coach, fine you have to replace him with an interim coach in your organization and then look outside after the season.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote