HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens 4 Canes 3

Old
11-27-2011, 11:54 PM
11Alfredsson

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post

/BOSS
this picture instantly reminded me of a girl that was on the show "Beyond Scared Straight". It was actually on today. He looked like the girl named Leigh? that was on there. Eerily similar LOL!.

11Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:16 AM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
So I was at the game tonight and I noticed one thing that really left me scratching my head...

I understand the need to play energetic recent music but playing "I'm sexy and I know it" while having the camera zoom in on 6 six year old children dancing? I don't know but that just seems a little bit odd to me.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Philadelphia Collins

vCash: 500
God I dunno what made me more excited, the fact that he scored or him rocking Ponikarovsky in Ottawa's zone

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:12 AM
Sensfanman

Karlsson was great defensively today. He made a lot of great moves and played the body more than usual. For once he wasn't noticeable too much and it was his overall best game in a while.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:42 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
So I was at the game tonight and I noticed one thing that really left me scratching my head...

I understand the need to play energetic recent music but playing "I'm sexy and I know it" while having the camera zoom in on 6 six year old children dancing? I don't know but that just seems a little bit odd to me.
I was at the game too and had the exact thought, was a bit disturbing for sure. Also my friend and I couldn't get over how much garbage electro is played these days there.

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:02 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
I disagree. He was all over the ice in a good way tonite. He didn't make any bone head plays defensively, infact he made a bunch of very good plays. And he was his usual solid self defensively.

I missed the first 8-10 minutes of the first period, but from what I saw of Karlsson he was great. His speed is exceptional, so is his stickhandling and stick-positioning.

Now that his positioning has gotten better, players have big problems getting past him and an even harder time actually getting a good shot off, due to his stickwork.

One of the most exciting players in the NHL to watch according to me.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:41 AM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Here goes the overhyping of Karlsson again.
Pull your head out of your ass. EK is leading the league in assists. But in your opinion he is an average defenseman?

Get a grip. There is a reason he is the leading vote getter for the all star game...

You salivate over a guy like Filatov yet beat down an elite level player like Karlsson who has already accomplished more than Filatov ever will.

In summation, you sir, are a derp.

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Eugene View Post
Pull your head out of your ass. EK is leading the league in assists. But in your opinion he is an average defenseman?
Where have I ever said he was an average defenceman? Even when I was very hard on him I never considered him average. I suggest you follow your own advice.

Quote:
You salivate over a guy like Filatov yet beat down an elite level player like Karlsson who has already accomplished more than Filatov ever will.
When did I beat down Karlsson recently? All I said was that he wasn't the clear-cut best player tonight (I think Zack Smith was the best player) I said he was one of the better players on the ice though.

At no point did I criticize him. If 'solid' is criticism I guess it just lends credence to exactly what I was saying.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:36 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
I was at the game too and had the exact thought, was a bit disturbing for sure. Also my friend and I couldn't get over how much garbage electro is played these days there.
I'll take garbage electro over "Cotton Eyed Joe" every day of the week, and twice on sundays.

Actually, I'll take frigging Wilson Phillips over Cotton Eyed Joe (if you get that joke, you're showing your age, haha). That's how much I hated that song. I'm thrilled beyond words that they've axed it from the playlist.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:39 AM
BrawlFan

Quote:
Where have I ever said he was an average defenceman? Even when I was very hard on him I never considered him average. I suggest you follow your own advice.

When did I beat down Karlsson recently? All I said was that he wasn't the clear-cut best player tonight (I think Zack Smith was the best player) I said he was one of the better players on the ice though.

At no point did I criticize him. If 'solid' is criticism I guess it just lends credence to exactly what I was saying.
I have to agree with this. He has every right to think whoever is the best player. Karlsson is amazing in my opinion and he is out best player on every night but we shouldn't bulky someone into agreeing. If he sees faults in his game he is entitled to it, and let the majority decide how they feel. The only thing I don't like about our fan base is how we aren't accepting of player faults.
Kelly had stone hands so he got a nickname
Fisher couldn't finish so he was overpaid
Spezza does to many turnovers and isn't physical.

Could you imagine if every player lived up to our expectations? We couldn't afford them and would end up with good players with minor faults (stone hands, turnover)

I love how we look at our players this season, with a viewpoint of letting them play. It's relaxed and players are given every opp to thrive.
My two cents anyway

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

It's not even like I'm saying that Karlsson wasn't great last night. It's just a matter of not gushing over every little thing that he does. 'He moves the puck so well!' It's kind of his job and it's not like he was doing anything exceptional last night. There was no 'wow' moments from him (though that pass to Michalek was nice.) He played solid in his own end -- and I guess if him being responsible defensively is worthy of calling him the best player on the ice and putting down players like Spezza and Gonchar (both of which made some really nice passes, and plays themselves...) I guess you're entitled to that feeling.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:05 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
I'll take garbage electro over "Cotton Eyed Joe" every day of the week, and twice on sundays.

Actually, I'll take frigging Wilson Phillips over Cotton Eyed Joe (if you get that joke, you're showing your age, haha). That's how much I hated that song. I'm thrilled beyond words that they've axed it from the playlist.
True, that was a terrible song and glad thats out...hehe and yes I guess I'm part of the old timer crowd. I think it was more the realization that sound (electro) has become so popular in pop music that its un-escapable, sort of a weep for the future moment I guess.

Also anyone who's there catch the Sparty Gun fail? Pretty funny.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
It's not even like I'm saying that Karlsson wasn't great last night. It's just a matter of not gushing over every little thing that he does. 'He moves the puck so well!' It's kind of his job and it's not like he was doing anything exceptional last night. There was no 'wow' moments from him (though that pass to Michalek was nice.) He played solid in his own end -- and I guess if him being responsible defensively is worthy of calling him the best player on the ice and putting down players like Spezza and Gonchar (both of which made some really nice passes, and plays themselves...) I guess you're entitled to that feeling.
People just love watching him play. Media and other fans always comment on it, he's one of the funnest players in the league to watch. So yes, people comment on it when he's doing nothing.

The play where he ran Ruutu off the puck easily and grabbed the puck and circled around the net was probably the most impressive thing he did last tonight....it said to me "too small, my ass". Many many many people out there said no matter how good he gets he will always be too small, he won't be able to compete physically, he'll never be great defensively, just adequate.....well at age 21 he's not finished growing, still very young in terms of developing as a defensemen, and he's showing there's no reason to doubt what he can do. This is why you hear Gord Wilson interrupt Murray in an interview just to ask "Is the sky really the limit for him?". Or MacLean repeating twice that he can be "as good as he wants to be".

He's proving even the optimists wrong to a certain degree already. The way he's played lately, I would say he really has played like one of the games top 10 Dmen. He's a playmaker at both ends and the mistakes are disappearing. I've always said wait til he's 23-24 to see what we have....at this rate he'll be one of the games top 5 most coveted Dmen.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 11-28-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:44 AM
OHNOclowe
The Thread Killer

don't know why I don't watch nhl.com highlights more often, tsn gives the sens no love

Wish the sens could get a radio section on tsn, and have a columnist like that idiot seigel preaching every time the leafs sneeze.

damn media /

Great game though, love andy's ability to bounce back

Also, Spezza's 2nd goal = why gonchar should be on the right point *cough*clouston*cough*

OHNOclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:24 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Quote:
True, that was a terrible song and glad thats out...hehe and yes I guess I'm part of the old timer crowd. I think it was more the realization that sound (electro) has become so popular in pop music that its un-escapable, sort of a weep for the future moment I guess.

Also anyone who's there catch the Sparty Gun fail? Pretty funny.
I'm a big House music fan (not the commercial david guetta though) and I find that it energizes the crowd way more than a rock song or coton eye joe crap. I guess it's a matter of opinion...

But just look at Ottawa the last few years who they've welcome for house-electro shows...Avicii, Calvin Harris, Laidback Luke, Hardwell and now Deadmau5 will be playing in what will be the biggest electro(house) show Ottawa has ever had on Dec. 27th. Like you said, the music just seems to be sticking around.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Most points by a defenceman since the lockout was Lidstrom in 05/06 with 80. Only Mike Green has scored at over a ppg, on a stacked Caps team.

EK has a shot at getting close if he can keep it up. He can certainly challenge Norm MacIver's 63 points.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
I'm a big House music fan (not the commercial david guetta though) and I find that it energizes the crowd way more than a rock song or coton eye joe crap. I guess it's a matter of opinion...

But just look at Ottawa the last few years who they've welcome for house-electro shows...Avicii, Calvin Harris, Laidback Luke, Hardwell and now Deadmau5 will be playing in what will be the biggest electro(house) show Ottawa has ever had on Dec. 27th. Like you said, the music just seems to be sticking around.
Sandstorm is a great choice for the pre-PP track. Takes me back to Y2K.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Alaskimo
Pesky Pesky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hands View Post
This is something I try not to think about too much, but if they keep getting better, I can sort of see this becoming a Chara vs. Redden like decision again. Not that I'm comparing our three youngsters to either Redden or Chara, but that we'll likely be forced to give up some talent at some point.
The HOPE is that, with all the young guys coming in to the league together they'll want to play with each other, even if it means less money. *Fingers crossed*

Alaskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:37 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:

Don't want to derail the thread to much, but house music and electro should be classified as two different genres IMO, when I think house music I think Mark Farina, Derrick Carter, Jeno etc, not the noize that is classified as House these days. I'm a bit of a old timer when it comes to EDM music or music in general, don't really get the new sounds I hear these days (Electro/Dubstep etc), just has no soul and seems to be all about finding a annoying sound and wrapping a standard beat around it.

>Insert old man "Back in my Day" comment here<

You want EDM with energy, I've been dying to hear a Jungle/DNB tune at SBP for ages.

Anyway, not gonna happen, but I can dream...hehe

Old
11-28-2011, 10:41 AM
costermonger
sans classe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
The play where he ran Ruutu off the puck easily and grabbed the puck and circled around the net was probably the most impressive thing he did last tonight....
If it's the play I'm thinking of, you could see that he used the hit to slow Ruutu down and separate him from the puck; it was a thing of beauty.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:04 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Quote:
Don't want to derail the thread to much, but house music and electro should be classified as two different genres IMO, when I think house music I think Mark Farina, Derrick Carter, Jeno etc, not the noize that is classified as House these days. I'm a bit of a old timer when it comes to EDM music or music in general, don't really get the new sounds I hear these days (Electro/Dubstep etc), just has no soul and seems to be all about finding a annoying sound and wrapping a standard beat around it.

>Insert old man "Back in my Day" comment here<

You want EDM with energy, I've been dying to hear a Jungle/DNB tune at SBP for ages.

Anyway, not gonna happen, but I can dream...hehe
Dubstep is not house though. I hate dubstep. But most songs played at SBP are house songs (although there is some electro). Just have a listen to Avicii-Levels, great song with lots of energy (And it plays every game at SBP).

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:10 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Dubstep is not house though. I hate dubstep. But most songs played at SBP are house songs (although there is some electro). Just have a listen to Avicii-Levels, great song with lots of energy (And it plays every game at SBP).
Yeah I know I was more or less going off on a rant about today's music in EDM, music changes/evolves, if you don't keep up with it you end up like me...hehe

Old
11-28-2011, 11:13 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Losing to the Sens = firing.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:47 AM
FreakyBunny

I know this movie! A coach gets fired because of the play of the Ottawa Senators. I kinda like this version of the story, better though.

FreakyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Dub step, indeed sucks. It's even worse if it's mixed into a good trance/prog set.

Anyways, yes, SHM, Avicii, Deadmau5 (hate the guy, love his music) are all super up beat artists who's music actually fits pretty well into the mold. "One" should have been the Sens goal song.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote