HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marian Gaborik- Countdown to 50 (11-12 edition)

Old
11-28-2011, 10:03 AM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Answer me, and the other people that have asked you, this.

Why the f does that matter?

So he does a fist pump and a big grin instead. So WHAT?

You have no leg to stand on, really just think about what you're criticizing in a player. Not how good they are or anything but the way they....celebrate.
It reflects in his play. Actually, it defines how he plays.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Its a prerequisite for any hockey player. I don't have to see a player do it, I just have to be able to imagine the guy doing it.
I can't imagine Markus Naslund doing it... so...

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Okay let me see if I understand what you're saying. So you believe that because Gaborik does not show emotion/celebrate by jumping into the glass after scoring, that indicates that he is a soft, uninvolved, European player?

Disregard his back checking (when compared to other snipers in the league, is great), his goal scoring (42 goals two years ago, currently on pace for ~35) and the fact that he actually defends himself and doesn't let himself get slapped around ala Sedin vs Marchand (he fought Carcillo to protect himself, he gave Giroux **** the other day).

Taking all of this into account and the role that he serves, you aren't at least O.K. with Gaborik?

Gaborik is far from a complete player, there are many things he isn't great at. What I don't understand is how his effort and determination can be put into question by such insubstantial evidence.

Oh and please bring up last year where it's apparent to everyone and their mothers that he wasn't the same after the shoulder injury.

You want a player that celebrates like no tomorrow and hurls himself at the glass? Go watch Alex Ovechkin, I heard he just his coach fired because he was dogging it like a little *****.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:47 AM
MSG the place to be*

My problem with Gaborik is 10% Gaborik and 90% the overrating of Gaborik.

Old
11-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
My problem with Gaborik is 10% Gaborik and 90% the overrating of Gaborik.
If that's the case, then how does your previous post apply?

Quote:
Where you make it known that your issue with him is his play?

Lots of wishy washy stuff going on here.

Old
11-28-2011, 11:02 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
If that's the case, then how does your previous post apply?

Where you make it known that your issue with him is his play?

Lots of wishy washy stuff going on here.
When you are talking about a big pie, 10% is a hefty serving of hate.

Old
11-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
When you are talking about a big pie, 10% is a hefty serving of hate.
And throughout all of this, you haven't stated what is that you hate about Gaborik's play and what expectations you have of him.

Given his role as a sniper, his role to score goals, what comparable player would you like him to play as?

All these one liners add nothing to your point.

Last edited by Emptyvoid: 11-28-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old
11-28-2011, 11:56 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
And throughout all of this, you haven't stated what is that you hate about Gaborik's play and what expectations you have of him.

Given his role as a sniper, his role to score goals, what comparable player would you like him to play as?

All these one liners add nothing to your point.
Kovalchuk

Old
11-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Kovalchuk
You mean 'unless I'm the complete focal point of the offense and face of the franchise I'm not that useful' Kovalchuk? The same guy that is producing at a 30g rate (at best) with the Devils?

Kovalchuk while in Atlanta, hell yea but that just not fair on Gaborik and I'll explain why.

Kovy is 6' 3" 230 lbs, built like a tank and rarely gets injured.

Gaborik is 6' 1" 204 lbs and an injury history that a lot of us like to overlook.

2 inches and 25 lbs difference. That is a lot.

However, there are plenty of players around the league with Gaborik's physique but still play with a rough and tumbling game.

But we know Gaborik is fragile. That is a flaw that he cannot control. Some of us are just made better and sustain less injuries, Gaborik is not that. If Gaborik were to play the same bullish way that Kovalchuk does (or at least did in Atlanta) he'd be injured for half the season.

Gaborik has to play to his strengths and has to realize his own flaws of being a physically more fragile player than someone like Kovalchuk.

When you have a player trying to play a style that doesn't suit their strengths, you have a largely ineffective player (think Dubi when he thinks he's Pat Kane).

I don't think Gaborik is some god like player or the best thing to hit NY. He is however a useful goalscorer but we should not expect him to be something he is not. Something he cannot be.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:09 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
You mean 'unless I'm the complete focal point of the offense and face of the franchise I'm not that useful' Kovalchuk? The same guy that is producing at a 30g rate (at best) with the Devils?

Kovalchuk while in Atlanta, hell yea but that just not fair on Gaborik and I'll explain why.

Kovy is 6' 3" 230 lbs, built like a tank and rarely gets injured.

Gaborik is 6' 1" 204 lbs and an injury history that a lot of us like to overlook.

2 inches and 25 lbs difference. That is a lot.

However, there are plenty of players around the league with Gaborik's physique but still play with a rough and tumbling game.

But we know Gaborik is fragile. That is a flaw that he cannot control. Some of us are just made better and sustain less injuries, Gaborik is not that. If Gaborik were to play the same bullish way that Kovalchuk does (or at least did in Atlanta) he'd be injured for half the season.

Gaborik has to play to his strengths and has to realize his own flaws of being a physically more fragile player than someone like Kovalchuk.

When you have a player trying to play a style that doesn't suit their strengths, you have a largely ineffective player (think Dubi when he thinks he's Pat Kane).

I don't think Gaborik is some god like player or the best thing to hit NY. He is however a useful goalscorer but we should not expect him to be something he is not. Something he cannot be.
Good post.

I know I can be a jerk with my Anti-Gaborik stuff but everything I say is what I believe. I just find it so shallow how people point to his goal total as the end all be all. HIS GOALS HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN IMPRESSIVE. Here's a positive I'll throw his way - A BUNCH OF HIS ASSISTS HAVE BEEN. There's a lot more game going on than the 13 split seconds that Gaborik has shot or tapped a puck into the net.

Do I expect Gaborik to be a physical player? No.
Do I expect Stepan, Fedotenko, Richards, or Anisimov to be physical players? No. But they are. Because they have extremely high battle levels and determination to win every puck...It's really amazing to me how many times Gaborik falls down during a game. Can't explain it. Am I the only one who notices?

Everyone credits his speed and his shot as being such amazing tools. Sure he is fast and sure he has a great shot but both of these traits are hardly on display. Hagelin is fast and plays fast. Callahan too. Avery too. Gaborik plods along, stick on the ice waiting for the outlet pass so that he can plod along and then bam try to burn a defender. Never works. In regards to his shot, he's got no slapshot - Another physical limitation that I can't explain any other way than to call him a Tinman...Remember when Jagr got here? His shot had goalies trembling. A 5 on 3 meant Jagr would cut across the top of the circles and rip a laser. Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, take your pick, can be anywhere inside the offensive zone with the puck and put the fear of god into the whole arena. I know I named 2 offensive studs, but hey, aren't Ranger fans putting Gaborik in the offensive stud category? Even in Gaborik's first season he had goalies fearing him. His 2 goal game against Jose Theodore made Threeormore look hopeless. You knew the puck was going in as soon as it was released. Those shots just aren't happening any more. On our 5 on 3's Gaborik opts to pull the puck in towards his body and muscle a shot on goal rather than just grip it and rip it.

If anyone has any rebuttals, I'm all ears. And I promise to keep this civil.

Old
12-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Emptyvoid

I will say this, Gaborik was consistently more impressive earlier in the season. I mean there is a reason the man has the most POTG awards (or at least did last time I checked).

I do wish Gaborik used his shot more and was more selfish.

The thing regarding his speed and how he isn't always going balls out is simply because he doesn't have to. He goes fast enough to get to a loose puck (look at him in dump and chases). His speed he uses in two main ways, break away or beating defensemen wide. It's just unfortunate that Gaborik can't deke for ****, I'd like to see him cut to the middle more.

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with Gaborik's effort or compete level. It's so much harder to comment on a Sniper's effort level because if they aren't scoring goals, they aren't doing all that much more (which, in that regards, Gaborik is great because he is at least competent defensively).

I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree to some extent, just glad we got a decent discussion out of this.

Old
12-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Good post.

I know I can be a jerk with my Anti-Gaborik stuff but everything I say is what I believe. I just find it so shallow how people point to his goal total as the end all be all. HIS GOALS HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN IMPRESSIVE. Here's a positive I'll throw his way - A BUNCH OF HIS ASSISTS HAVE BEEN. There's a lot more game going on than the 13 split seconds that Gaborik has shot or tapped a puck into the net.

Do I expect Gaborik to be a physical player? No.
Do I expect Stepan, Fedotenko, Richards, or Anisimov to be physical players? No. But they are. Because they have extremely high battle levels and determination to win every puck...It's really amazing to me how many times Gaborik falls down during a game. Can't explain it. Am I the only one who notices?

Everyone credits his speed and his shot as being such amazing tools. Sure he is fast and sure he has a great shot but both of these traits are hardly on display. Hagelin is fast and plays fast. Callahan too. Avery too. Gaborik plods along, stick on the ice waiting for the outlet pass so that he can plod along and then bam try to burn a defender. Never works. In regards to his shot, he's got no slapshot - Another physical limitation that I can't explain any other way than to call him a Tinman...Remember when Jagr got here? His shot had goalies trembling. A 5 on 3 meant Jagr would cut across the top of the circles and rip a laser. Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, take your pick, can be anywhere inside the offensive zone with the puck and put the fear of god into the whole arena. I know I named 2 offensive studs, but hey, aren't Ranger fans putting Gaborik in the offensive stud category? Even in Gaborik's first season he had goalies fearing him. His 2 goal game against Jose Theodore made Threeormore look hopeless. You knew the puck was going in as soon as it was released. Those shots just aren't happening any more. On our 5 on 3's Gaborik opts to pull the puck in towards his body and muscle a shot on goal rather than just grip it and rip it.

If anyone has any rebuttals, I'm all ears. And I promise to keep this civil.
Personally, I'd rather he's someone who's efficient and proven as a finisher than someone OV-esque who creates a scoring chance out of nothing. Especially on a team that has desperately lacked someone with a finishing touch. Guys like Callahan can CREATE an offensive chance, which is fantastic. Gaborik specializes in seeing the best route to the puck from the net, and getting in position for an offensive chance. How many times do we look at players and groan "Man, if _____ had only been there for that pass"

It's not often we have to say that with Gabby. Every time he has the puck, he looks like a shark out for blood, and the defensemen are forced to give him extra attention.

I get if you don't like his style of play. He's not a dominant, dangling powerhouse forward who's going to muscle his way into the zone. He's the guy waiting in the slot for that guy to make the pass so he can put it home. Whether you like that style of play or not, it works.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:15 AM
EpicDing
rongos pls

Well, back to the thread's original, non ******** on Gabby and the OP purpose, 36 to go.

EpicDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

I think 36 is a long way to go. Most likely 40-45.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:30 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

It'll be fantastic if he scores 45. That's huge.

Yet I don't think he'll ever get the props he deserves from some.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:05 PM
MSG the place to be*

I figured it out!!!

Marian Gaborik is to the Rangers what Antonio Cromartie is to the Jets.

(minus all the 3-year old children)

Old
12-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Vitto79

after last yr 35 is dandy but I think he will hit 40

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Someone should start a Lundqvist countdown to 10 shutouts thread
I think this needs to happen soon!

Khelvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
34 to go!

Old
12-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Khelvan

33 to go!

Old
12-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I'm starting a Gaborik countdown to 1,000 goals. Who's with me?

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:47 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
When Gaborik and Richards are scoring I just light up.

This team is going somewhere.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

18 and 19

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 08:25 PM
beastly115