HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Question for the Cap Geeks (hypothetical)

Old
11-27-2011, 04:56 PM
boots electric

vCash: 500
Question for the Cap Geeks (hypothetical)

So there's going to be a new CBA put in place (hopefully) before next season, and one of the hot topics that keeps being mentioned is effectively putting an end to "retirement contracts" like the one given to Ehrhoff this offseason.

I'm no expert on a lot of this stuff, but something I happened to think of today...

Now that the team has mountains of green and is willing to use it, couldn't they technically restructure a guy like Vanek's contract by offering him something similar, assuming it kicks in before next season? Signing Vanek for a front-loaded 5 year deal with a $4,000,000 cap hit seems like a no brainer to me.

Is there anything stopping them from doing this?

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:19 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
So there's going to be a new CBA put in place (hopefully) before next season, and one of the hot topics that keeps being mentioned is effectively putting an end to "retirement contracts" like the one given to Ehrhoff this offseason.

I'm no expert on a lot of this stuff, but something I happened to think of today...

Now that the team has mountains of green and is willing to use it, couldn't they technically restructure a guy like Vanek's contract by offering him something similar, assuming it kicks in before next season? Signing Vanek for a front-loaded 5 year deal with a $4,000,000 cap hit seems like a no brainer to me.

Is there anything stopping them from doing this?
Yes. You can't restructure a contract.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:20 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Cant restructure contracts and can only resign players that have less then a year on their current deal.

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:51 PM
boots electric

I figured there was a reason this wasn't done already.

Thanks guys

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Rammstein816

Also, I don't consider Ehrhoff's contract to be a retirement contract in the same way that Kovalchuk's original was. He'll be 38, about to turn 39, when the deal expires. That's about average retirement age for a defenseman (at least one that doesn't get pushed out by not getting any NHL offers). I have a bigger problem with Luongo's contract, as we know most goalies don't play into their 40s.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:31 AM
HiddenInLight

Isn't NJs goalie near 40? (Name escapes me...too tired need coffee...) Also I'm pretty sure sombody had a 51 year old goalie as their backup last week at some point.

EDIT: Brodeur......ugh I need more sleep today.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Isn't NJs goalie near 40? (Name escapes me...too tired need coffee...) Also I'm pretty sure sombody had a 51 year old goalie as their backup last week at some point.

EDIT: Brodeur......ugh I need more sleep today.
Saying that Brodeur, Hasek, or Roy is the norm for goalies doesn't make much sense. Brodeur, until recently, looked like he could play forever and is already a legendary goalie. Most goalies will never achieve that status and will also never play that long. The 51 year old emergency backup is another bad example. In the past, teams have grabbed guys with little or no pro hockey experience to sit on the bench. Hell, the Capitals had their web programmer be a backup for one game, guess I shouldn't shut the door on my potential hockey career.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:23 AM
HiddenInLight

My post was more of a joke sorry I don't know the emotr codes by heart and I'm posting from my phone.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:23 PM
punkr0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
Also, I don't consider Ehrhoff's contract to be a retirement contract in the same way that Kovalchuk's original was. He'll be 38, about to turn 39, when the deal expires. That's about average retirement age for a defenseman (at least one that doesn't get pushed out by not getting any NHL offers). I have a bigger problem with Luongo's contract, as we know most goalies don't play into their 40s.
There's four defensemen over 38 (Aucoin, Staios, O'Donnell, Lidstrom) and one goalie over 42 (Roloson) in the NHL today. Given that each team has 6-8 active defensemen and 2-3 goalies, I'd say Ehrhoff's chances of making it to 39 are about as good as Luongo's making it to 42. It's a retirement deal.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote