HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best and Worst Vancouver media guy past or present

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2011, 12:28 PM
  #51
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser
 
mrmyheadhurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,181
vCash: 50
The only reason I don't mind Garrett is because he makes me laugh. I don't think it's on purpose 99% of the time but he does amuse me.

I don't listen to the radio so I'm probably a bit out of my element here.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:01 PM
  #52
stickside
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
best: tony gallagher. interesting op-ed pieces. you can tell he's not a guy who just sticks his recorder into the pack along with the rest of the media searching for soundbites. he actually digs a little deeper and lurks around the perimeter.

worst: john shorthouse. a voice not suitable for play-by-play. as a center ice subscriber living out of the country i always enjoy watching canucks broadcasts when the opposition does the announcing. he really is brutal, fellow center icer's may agree.

stickside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:31 PM
  #53
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
best: tony gallagher. interesting op-ed pieces. you can tell he's not a guy who just sticks his recorder into the pack along with the rest of the media searching for soundbites. he actually digs a little deeper and lurks around the perimeter.

worst: john shorthouse. a voice not suitable for play-by-play. as a center ice subscriber living out of the country i always enjoy watching canucks broadcasts when the opposition does the announcing. he really is brutal, fellow center icer's may agree.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but Shorthouse is generally recognized as on of the BEST announcers in the NHL.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:17 PM
  #54
stickside
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but Shorthouse is generally recognized as on of the BEST announcers in the NHL.
he's awful. it's his grover voice that grates on me and most of my friends. the guy who does the washington capitals is the best, in my opinion.

and while i'm on the topic of media guys who are overrated, i've never understood the love for in-house broadcaster john ashbridge. the new guy they've got now kicks his a$$. it also never made sense to me to have ashbridge doing vancouver giants games too... it's a developmental league, why not have a young up-and-coming announcer too.

stickside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:36 PM
  #55
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I don't know if he deserves the title of worst, but John McKeachie was sure hard to watch.
I have known John McKeachie for over 50 years.

He was an idiot 50 years back and he has not changed. He was out of his depth selling hockey gear at Hocking and Forbes Sporting Goods when he was growing up.

He also regularly talks about a scar he he received playing sports - well the sport was a whack a mole with my youngest maternal aunt whacking him with up alongside the head with a rock when he was his usual irritating self. One day he was waxing eloquent about his "sports career" in a group I was part of and I asked him about the scar, dropped my aunt's name and his mouth continued to move but no sound came out.

In Vancouver we used to have a trifecta -

Neil Macrae
John McKeachie
Dave Pratt

Pomposity and idiocy all in neat little packages.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:42 PM
  #56
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
For those of you unfamiliar with the Neil Macrae vs. Big Al Davidson, have a read. Big Al Davidson was his role model. He mentored MacRae who in turn knifed him with a trumped up criminal charge getting Big Al pink slipped. Last laugh to Big Al he won his wrongful dismissal suit.

Gallagher refused to go along with Macrae's game and ended up testifying for Big Al. That was the genesis of the Macrae hate for Gallagher.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...5#post19879865

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:12 PM
  #57
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,060
vCash: 500
Jim Robson, John Shorthouse, and Tom Larscheid (yes, him too) make me happy to be a Canuck fan. You can legitimately feel passion for the team oozing out of those guys, and it has to be real.

Jim Hughson's technically perfect, but I wouldn't go further than that.

(this era's version of) Dan Russel is a total ***-hat.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:31 PM
  #58
Free Torts
Registered User
 
Free Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
For those of you unfamiliar with the Neil Macrae vs. Big Al Davidson, have a read. Big Al Davidson was his role model. He mentored MacRae who in turn knifed him with a trumped up criminal charge getting Big Al pink slipped. Last laugh to Big Al he won his wrongful dismissal suit.

Gallagher refused to go along with Macrae's game and ended up testifying for Big Al. That was the genesis of the Macrae hate for Gallagher.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...5#post19879865
We've been over this story many times. Big Al was no saint.. in fact, he was a complete and utter tool. Not saying he deserved to lose his job, but he was hardly an upstanding citizen.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:34 PM
  #59
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
We've been over this story many times. Big Al was no saint.. in fact, he was a complete and utter tool.
And your point would be?

Macrae used a trumped up charge and was called on it by the judge. The judge was clear that Davidson was not a saint but what Macrae and CKNW did was way beyond the pale.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:35 PM
  #60
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,117
vCash: 500
Forgot about guys like Farhan Lalji and Ray Ferraro; very insightful guys that offer great opinions.

Shane Foxman was heinously annoying.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:04 PM
  #61
GoTeamDom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
I also like one of the Kurtenbloggers, but could never figure out which was which on the radio. Halford better than Brough in print though

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:07 PM
  #62
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,480
vCash: 500
Rick Dhaliwal always sounded like he was yelling through the radio. Reminded me of Garrett Morris doing the captions for the deaf on Saurday Night Live.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:04 AM
  #63
ephmrl
#tanknation
 
ephmrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,969
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
Dan Russell is easily one of the worst. All he does is whine about the Canucks whenever he's not talking about the Giants.

ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:45 AM
  #64
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaBaby View Post
Mason was Burkie's buddy and it was Mason who broke the Mark Crawford hire/Mike Keenen fire from the 90's.
It's very eerily similar to the situation now, as Gallagher is Gillis' drinking buddy and he broke Gillis' hire as well.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:53 AM
  #65
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,610
vCash: 500
My favourites are Rick Ball, Ray Ferraro and Shorthouse.

For Shorthouse's part, I find his voice...comforting. Comforting in the same way that Peter Mansbridge's voice comforting. When the economy is crumbling and things look bleak, I feel better getting the news from Mansbridge. Similarly, Shorthouse makes the issues with the Canucks seem less daunting.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:08 AM
  #66
Anodyne
Registered User
 
Anodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
best: tony gallagher. interesting op-ed pieces. you can tell he's not a guy who just sticks his recorder into the pack along with the rest of the media searching for soundbites. he actually digs a little deeper and lurks around the perimeter.
As little as I like Gallagher, I can't think of a predicate that better describes him.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:46 AM
  #67
Keke Mortsons helmet
Registered User
 
Keke Mortsons helmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Horseshoe Bay BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 625
vCash: 500
Bill Good Sr. and Ron Morrier were also really good. Clancy Loranger and Denny Boyd were top notch writers.

Keke Mortsons helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:02 AM
  #68
rypper
Registered User
 
rypper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,951
vCash: 500
I enjoy all parts of the morning show on the team "scotty and company" Ferraro is the best, but chapman, botch, and scotty all contribute interesting outlooks.

I always listen to Bmac and taylor when I'm driving during the afternoon show. I've always enjoyed donny taylor and bmac is a much more level headed easier to listen to host then pratt ever was.

I think the canucks fans have been spoiled thru the years with robson, hughson, and shorty. unfortunately I don't see kenward following up that list.

rypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 04:43 AM
  #69
realist99
Registered User
 
realist99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
Russell is by far the worst, and it's not because he's not a cheerleader for the Canucks but because his bitterness and jealousy shines through whenever he talks about the team. He's not a professional.
Agree 100%

When he started in the business he was a complete fanboi apologist for the Canucks. After CKNW lost the broadcasts and he didn't get his coveted play by play job he has turned bitter. He and his side kick Brook Ward sound like a couple of old women venting about life.

I can't take a guy too serious when he hasn't played a sport in his life yet he thinks he is some kind of expert.

realist99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:29 PM
  #70
Celtic FC
Registered User
 
Celtic FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Scotland
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I have known John McKeachie for over 50 years.

He was an idiot 50 years back and he has not changed. He was out of his depth selling hockey gear at Hocking and Forbes Sporting Goods when he was growing up.

He also regularly talks about a scar he he received playing sports - well the sport was a whack a mole with my youngest maternal aunt whacking him with up alongside the head with a rock when he was his usual irritating self. One day he was waxing eloquent about his "sports career" in a group I was part of and I asked him about the scar, dropped my aunt's name and his mouth continued to move but no sound came out.

In Vancouver we used to have a trifecta -

Neil Macrae
John McKeachie
Dave Pratt

Pomposity and idiocy all in neat little packages.
Well said. I have had a 'run-in' with McKeachie in the past. This guy is a pompous ass. Apparently he is not allowed in the Press Box at Rogers Arena for being a tool with RA staff.

The guy I absolutely cannot stand is Moj. This is a guy who should never get near a microphone ever again. Super Bowl...blah blah blah....Football...blah blah blah....telling all a sundry who will listen about his disappointing 85 on a golf course (must have been Stanley Park Pitch and Putt).

Celtic FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:33 PM
  #71
Celtic FC
Registered User
 
Celtic FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Scotland
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Kannegiesser View Post
Bill Good Sr. and Ron Morrier were also really good. Clancy Loranger and Denny Boyd were top notch writers.
Sheldon...that is really going back a bit! Maurier and All-Star Wresting were an awesome combo!

Celtic FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:41 PM
  #72
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
My favourites are Rick Ball, Ray Ferraro and Shorthouse.

For Shorthouse's part, I find his voice...comforting. Comforting in the same way that Peter Mansbridge's voice comforting. When the economy is crumbling and things look bleak, I feel better getting the news from Mansbridge. Similarly, Shorthouse makes the issues with the Canucks seem less daunting.
Shorthouse--for me--is a bit of a dichotomy. He really has a way of nailing the big moments (Burrows and Bieksa's OT series-clinchers during the Cup run last year are great examples). But he also has a way of being somewhat monotonous during games that can put me right to sleep.

That said, he's extremely knowledgeable and definitely a great hockey mind. Glad we have him in Vancouver.

Dan Russell never really irked me; my clearest memory of him was somewhere around 2003 where someone called in to start ripping on Trevor Linden and saying how he should retire (I believe he had 19 goals and 41 points in 72 games that year...best season in several years) and Russell tore him to pieces.

Granted, Russell is an exceptionally bitter guy whose career could literally be heard crashing in flames when CKNW lost the radio rights for the Canucks to TEAM 1040. But I can also say I haven't listened to CKNW once since the Canucks jumped ship.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 07:27 AM
  #73
Keke Mortsons helmet
Registered User
 
Keke Mortsons helmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Horseshoe Bay BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 625
vCash: 500
I find Shorty tedious. A bit like that stodgy old batchelor uncle that is always correcting your diction and boring the family to tears when he brings over his stamp collection.

Not my cup of tea.

Keke Mortsons helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:14 AM
  #74
Keke Mortsons helmet
Registered User
 
Keke Mortsons helmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Horseshoe Bay BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic FC View Post
Sheldon...that is really going back a bit! Maurier and All-Star Wresting were an awesome combo!
Ah yes, All-Star Wrestling was a blast. I still occasionally like to whistle the old theme song "The Kingpin March" a I trudge along the wet sidewalks of Vancouver.

Keke Mortsons helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:24 AM
  #75
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
hughson was great before he became a rock star

mr gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.