HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012 Draft Thread (Draft Lottery 4/10 8PM on NBC Sports)

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

vCash: 500
If we somehow end up with Yakupov, he needs to live with Tyutin. No exceptions. I don't want to see another 18 year old russian with a fat paycheck buying gaudy fur coats. He needs to live with another Russian who knows how the game should be played and to ground him if he's out too late.

Old
11-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
If we somehow end up with Yakupov, he needs to live with Tyutin. No exceptions. I don't want to see another 18 year old russian with a fat paycheck buying gaudy fur coats. He needs to live with another Russian who knows how the game should be played and to ground him if he's out too late.
Isn't Crosby still living with Lemieux?

I agree, he should have some serious guidance, especially if he becomes a Jacket.

Old
11-14-2011, 09:07 PM
MapleJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
tyutin wont be here if and when we get Nail...

Old
11-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleJ View Post
tyutin wont be here if and when we get Nail...
He is not going anywhere. I can't see anone wanting to take on the huge extension he signed. Plus there are several more people on the blue line that should go before he does.

Old
11-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
Gilbert Brule was destined to be better than Crosby so I'll hold my breath on this one
According to who?

Brule was drafted 6th overall, Crosby was 1st of course. Brule wasn't even part of the 1st overall conversation in 2005.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Since the Blue Jackets look to finish last in the league this year, it might be a good idea to see what options are available in the draft. Without question, the best option is the unanimous first-overall choice, Nail Yakupov. This kid is the next great NHL superstar and the Jackets would be very lucky to have him.
This.

Yakupov is a slam dunk for the 1st overall pick.

Old
11-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
According to who?

Brule was drafted 6th overall, Crosby was 1st of course. Brule wasn't even part of the 1st overall conversation in 2005.
Yes he was. It was a small minority who had him as contending for 1st overall, but there were quite a few who regarded it as the Crosby-Brule sweepstakes. Brule did his part by lighting up the CHL Top Prospects game while Crosby stayed at home, with plenty of rumors that the minor injury he claimed was simply a ploy to not be overshadowed by Brule.

Brule dropped because his game couldn't stand up to the microanalyzing that usually takes place for someone who's been in the spotlight since age 15, just as happened to Dan Cleary and several others. Crosby didn't drop because no one could find a fault with his game.

Old
11-21-2011, 12:26 PM
alphafox

Who would be the best option for us in the 2012 draft??

Hi everybody, I'm bored so I thought I would throw this out there. Looking at our lineup We theoretically have a pretty good offensive punch in Nash, Carter, and the emerging Johansen as well as Atkinson, Kubalik, and calvert in the wings. However, Defensively we have alot of holes and while we have prospects that are good I don't see #1 like a Keith, Suter, or Weber in the pool.

So the aforementioned being said is drafting Nail the best use of our pick or would Ryan Murray be a better for us, trading back for Trouba? (This fear of drafting Nail may have something to do with our spectacular failure with any russian prospects.)

(This also assumes that we win the draft lottery or even have a lottery pick. as someone said earlier this team even fails at failing )

Last edited by alphafox: 11-21-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old
11-21-2011, 12:35 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Hi everybody, I'm bored so I thought I would throw this out there. Looking at our lineup We theoretically have a pretty good offensive punch in Nash, Carter, and the emerging Johansen as well as Atkinson, Kubalik, and calvert in the wings. However, Defensively we have alot of holes and while we have prospects that are good I don't see #1 like a Keith, Suter, or Weber in the pool.

So the aforementioned being said is drafting Nail the best use of our pick or would Ryan Murray be a better for us? (This also may have something to do with our spectacular failure with any russian prospects.)

(This also assumes that we win the draft lottery or even have a lottery pick. as someone said earlier this team even fails at failing )
IMO either Murray or maybe Grigorenko. But I prefer Murray.
But I hope that the miracle will happen and we will be in PO.

Old
11-21-2011, 12:59 PM
blahblah

Probably could have been posted in the other tread about the #1 pick. Having said that, we're counting chickens. Too much hockey to be played and we have too much individual talent to think this is a certainty.

Also I'm not looking to fix our issues on defense with an 18 year old. We better have a better plan than that.

This reject from St. Louis has been an improvement, that should say something.

Old
11-21-2011, 01:36 PM
wahsnairb

Nash+whichever goalie they want+CBJ 1st+CBJ 2nd (conditional: if 1st is outside top 5?)

Doughty+Bernier+LA 1st

upgrade at D, upgrade at G.. our two huge weaknesses.. change our identity, and move down in a good draft year. potential to play our way out of such a high draft pick like yakupov if Bernier plays well as a starter.

Last edited by wahsnairb: 11-21-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old
11-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

So the aforementioned being said is drafting Nail the best use of our pick or would Ryan Murray be a better for us, trading back for Trouba? (This fear of drafting Nail may have something to do with our spectacular failure with any russian prospects.)

I've been tempted to advocate for Murray based on similar irrational impulses. Given that the results so far for this season have been similarly irrational, though, I think that makes such impulses somehow equally valid and thus quasirational.

Nail Is Fail! Draft Ryan Murray!

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
11-21-2011, 02:45 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
Nash+whichever goalie they want+CBJ 1st+CBJ 2nd (provisional: if 1st is outside top 5?)

Doughty+Bernier+LA 1st

upgrade at D, upgrade at G.. our two huge weaknesses.. change our identity, and move down in a good draft year. potential to play our way out of such a high draft pick like yakupov if Bernier plays well as a starter.
Seconded, for two reasons.

First it would be nice to see nash on a contender. I feel bad for him suffering due to being loyal to an organization which has royally screwed up the their chances to build a winner.

Second, If that could actually pry doughty and bernier out of LA then I am all for it, that might be a bit of an over payment but it will probably take that to get those guys out of LA. Winners build from the goalie out. We have decent offensive depth its our back end that is in shambles.

Old
11-21-2011, 03:34 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Back to the draft. IMO if we have to want a great team we must:

1. have a great or at least good goalie
2. have at least different d-man
3. at least one different center

we have two different center (IMO Johansen will be him) minimum one (Carter), plus a good the second line center--- Jenner.
but the second and first? We have good d-men prospects but not different d-man. Thats why I would draft Murray over Yakupov and Grigorenko. Yes they are great players... but wings!!! And in the second round I would take a goalie.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:16 PM
The Toaster

:Greenhorn speaking:

Do you think he would take Yakupov as the first round pick, and trade off some offensive players for an experienced d-man (or experienced goalie) rather than having a young prospect like Murray? Maybe clear up some of the cap monies too?

Or if GMSH is feeling particularly loopy, could Yakupov be a high bargaining chip for someone(s) else?
A Gretzky or Hextall clone maybe??

I don't really know the players or their values otherwise I'd put up some examples. But what do you think?

Old
11-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toaster View Post
:Greenhorn speaking:

Do you think he would take Yakupov as the first round pick, and trade off some offensive players for an experienced d-man (or experienced goalie) rather than having a young prospect like Murray? Maybe clear up some of the cap monies too?

Or if GMSH is feeling particularly loopy, could Yakupov be a high bargaining chip for someone(s) else?
A Gretzky or Hextall clone maybe??

I don't really know the players or their values otherwise I'd put up some examples. But what do you think?
That's how I'd prefer Howson handle a 1st overall draft pick this year, even though it'd probably get him lynched.

Yes, I really am that averse to picking yet another first-round Russian winger. Paranoia levels for that particular brand of hockey player are ratcheted up to 11 right now.

Old
11-21-2011, 09:34 PM
funflyers33

Hi guys, just wanted to share my observation. The wife and I, took a long weekend and went up and watched games in Windsor, Sarnia, and London this weekend. I highly recommend it. We got to see Nail live and in person saturday. The kid is massively talented, scored 2 goals and looked effortless. He is quick, not small, great hands and a nose for the puck. Much different type of player than Filatov. Add that with the fact that he is already living and playing in North America. THe guy is a special talent. All the games were a blast for a bluejacket fan needing a fix of good hockey. Do the trip, its less than a day's drive from the Dayton Ohio area.

Old
11-22-2011, 06:20 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyers33 View Post
Hi guys, just wanted to share my observation. The wife and I, took a long weekend and went up and watched games in Windsor, Sarnia, and London this weekend. I highly recommend it. We got to see Nail live and in person saturday. The kid is massively talented, scored 2 goals and looked effortless. He is quick, not small, great hands and a nose for the puck. Much different type of player than Filatov. Add that with the fact that he is already living and playing in North America. THe guy is a special talent. All the games were a blast for a bluejacket fan needing a fix of good hockey. Do the trip, its less than a day's drive from the Dayton Ohio area.
Didn't Filly come over and play in Canada too?

Old
11-22-2011, 07:09 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Didn't Filly come over and play in Canada too?
No. Filatov probably should have played in the OHL but there were issues because of the lack of transfer agreeement between the CHL and the league that Niki played in back in Mother Russia. The Jackets only choices were to send him back to Russia or send him to Syracuse.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:46 AM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
No. Filatov probably should have played in the OHL but there were issues because of the lack of transfer agreeement between the CHL and the league that Niki played in back in Mother Russia. The Jackets only choices were to send him back to Russia or send him to Syracuse.
Actually, his OHL team (Sudbury Wolves) did finally get clearance for him to play, but at the time he was doing very well in Syracuse.

Quote:
The Sudbury Wolves Hockey Club is pleased to announce that the IIHF has awarded the junior transfer for Russian forward Nikita Filatov to the Sudbury Wolves of the Canadian Hockey League effective today.

"We were pleased to hear the news after two months of waiting on the Filatov transfer" notes Wolves' GM Mike Foligno. "Wolves' owner Mark Burgess put a lot of time and effort into this process and he is very appreciative of the support that he received from the OHL office and Hockey Canada on the appeal process."

The Blue Jackets team management are currently assessing Filatov's
development at the AHL level and are expected to decide in the coming days whether to leave Filatov in the AHL or assign him to the Sudbury Wolves of the Canadian Hockey League.

http://www.saultthisweek.com/Article...2&archive=true
IMO, everyone on here would have been up in arms if he had been sent to the OHL. He was doing well in Syracuse. No one thought there would be issues with him going back to Russia. Everything with Filatov seemed to be working out great.

Here's the thread on HFBoards when the Wolves got approval for the transfer:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=570502

Last edited by JacketsFanWest: 11-22-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old
11-28-2011, 10:36 AM
CapnCornelius

Well, the Isles and Ducks are going to give us a competition for that top spot.

Murray has tried to rebuild on the fly and he managed to prolong the inevitable for the Ducks, but eventually all good things come to an end. They lack any sort of depth scoring outside of their top 6. And 2 of those guys are set to retire come the end of this season. With that said, their needs are a bit different. If the Ducks draft #1, I suspect they may actually pass on Yakupov in favor of Murray. I could also see them trading down and drafting a center if they got the right asset for the pick.

Old
11-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Well, the Isles and Ducks are going to give us a competition for that top spot.

Murray has tried to rebuild on the fly and he managed to prolong the inevitable for the Ducks, but eventually all good things come to an end. They lack any sort of depth scoring outside of their top 6. And 2 of those guys are set to retire come the end of this season. With that said, their needs are a bit different. If the Ducks draft #1, I suspect they may actually pass on Yakupov in favor of Murray. I could also see them trading down and drafting a center if they got the right asset for the pick.
I would think that any team picking #1 would take the BPA. I doubt it will be like 2002 when we drafted Nash.

If we get #1, we should draft the BPA (currently Yakupov/Grigorenko). If we're lower, we should look to draft Murray or another defenseman.

Old
11-28-2011, 01:34 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I would think that any team picking #1 would take the BPA. I doubt it will be like 2002 when we drafted Nash.

If we get #1, we should draft the BPA (currently Yakupov/Grigorenko). If we're lower, we should look to draft Murray or another defenseman.
People always say that, but to me, wings are a dime a dozen. It is the only thing that gives me pause with Yakupov.

If the difference is marginal, I'd take a stud defenseman or center over a wing. And for a team like Anaheim, who's weak at both of those cornerstone positions, it may make more sense to draft a guy like Murray.

Old
11-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
People always say that, but to me, wings are a dime a dozen. It is the only thing that gives me pause with Yakupov.

If the difference is marginal, I'd take a stud defenseman or center over a wing. And for a team like Anaheim, who's weak at both of those cornerstone positions, it may make more sense to draft a guy like Murray.
Yes wings are a dime a dozen and impact the game the least out of anyone (Ovechkin and Iginla of the past aside, no winger can carry a team like an elite center/defenseman/goalie can). However, we can't afford to pass on someone who has the quality of Kane.

Would be nice to get the #1 overall in a year where the BPA is a center like Tavares, Stamkos, etc. and isn't Russian. This is how things go though. It would be egg on the franchise's face if they drafted an Erik Johnson or traded down to draft a Jay Bouwmeester while passing up an 80 point scorer. The lack of drafting defenseman (only 2 in the last 10 years) in the first round is catching up to us. Best case scenario? We get #1 overall and trade Prospal or Vermette or someone at the deadline for a #15 pick. Then we can get Yakupov + a defenseman at #15.

Besides we all might be blowing smoke anyways. He could pull a Couturier and lose the #1 overall spot to Grigorenko or someone else. Either that or Anaheim/Islanders out-fail us and we end up drafting #3 anyways.

Last edited by Crede777: 11-28-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old
11-28-2011, 03:19 PM
EspenK

Anyone have thoughts/insight into Matt Dumba? I was watching some clips of his hits on tsn.ca and he looks ferocious. He's 5'11" 175-ish. At 6' -6'1" 195-205 he could be a Scott Stevens kind of guy.Plus he looks like he can skate the puck nicely.

Old
11-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Anyone have thoughts/insight into Matt Dumba? I was watching some clips of his hits on tsn.ca and he looks ferocious. He's 5'11" 175-ish. At 6' -6'1" 195-205 he could be a Scott Stevens kind of guy.Plus he looks like he can skate the puck nicely.
He's definitely a top-10 caliber player right now and has been getting much deserved hype, but most have Murray projected as the better player.

Going back to what I said above, you draft the BPA at #1.

Closed Thread