HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hagelin and Mitchell up

Old
11-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Dorado*

vCash: 500
I'm not counting on anything from WW . And highly anticipate us making a move at some point for a complimentary wing for Brad not named Dubinsky. Not sure if he is an upgrade but Rene Borque might be a reality as a major shake up rebuild in Calgary is coming .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:29 PM
trilobyte

What is most important is that with these two coming up, the roster was vastly improved (Deveaux and EC not playing). This kind of move makes me excited, and I hope Miller and Hagelin just keep motoring.
It's cloud nine for me seeing some straight-ahead talented hockey, not having to worry about where EC was on his ridiculous cycle of not doing anything at all with one good game appearing at random once in a long while. As for Deveaux, I never had to think much at all about that situation, I simply knew that that roster spot was wasted, period.

I wonder about Wolski. Was he really coming around to playing a good game before he went out? Hard to say. It just gets really hard to keep waiting to see what he brings, and be able to say that he did indeed get enough time when he was healthy. I don't put much faith is seeing him become the kind of player the Rangers need, but I guess anything can happen.

Nice to see the kind of improvement we are seeing from guys brought up who pleasantly surprise, and put out an honest effort.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
I'm impressed, and not just by the points.

During pre-season, Hagelin didn't look ready. Sending him to Hartford was the right call, and I thought he'd spend the year down there.

If he keeps up his play from the last couple games, though, he's a lock for the rest of the year.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:14 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
I'm impressed, and not just by the points.

During pre-season, Hagelin didn't look ready. Sending him to Hartford was the right call, and I thought he'd spend the year down there.

If he keeps up his play from the last couple games, though, he's a lock for the rest of the year.
I dont think we should get too far ahead of ourselves here. I'm a huge Hagelin supporter. One of my favorite prospects, love his game. But I think he needs to have a few more games like the last two before I start getting too excited.

I will say this....he played two solid games against two of the tougher teams in the Eastern Conference regardless if Philly is banged up. Rangers have injuries too. To be able to come up and play your first two career NHL games against those teams AND exceed expectations is quite impressive.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:09 AM
bramford

Thanks to whoever posted this video, gives me goosebumps.

bramford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:15 AM
HockeyBurd*

This is not a fast team. Not by any stretch. I would hate to think an NHL ready guy like Hagelin with his speed wouldn't be on this team over some of the other slow (if not dead) weight.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:15 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramford View Post
Thanks to whoever posted this video, gives me goosebumps.

That was an awesome standing ovation.

Old
11-28-2011, 11:18 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
This is not a fast team. Not by any stretch. I would hate to think an NHL ready guy like Hagelin with his speed wouldn't be on this team over some of the other slow (if not dead) weight.
I think Hagelin staying is a MUST. This team doesnt have any fast guys really. We have some great skaters like McDonagh, Del Zotto, etc. Then a speedster like Gaborik. But thats really about it. You play some opposing teams and it just looks like they're flying all over the ice and theres no chance to breathe. Hagelin adds more speed, we need that.

Old
11-28-2011, 11:38 AM
ohbaby

I knew it was a mistake Mitchell did not make the team out of camp. He had a great camp and after getting sent down, he led Hartford in scoring. No surprise he got the call up and is doing well. His play along the wall gives him a big chance to stay here, more so than Hagelin. He shows he can play with the big boys in the corners.

Hagelin is more of a surprise. Played well with Mitchell in Hartford so I guess it was a package deal. Looks like he has a future here. The Garden Faithful just love him.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Damn near impossible to say anything bad about these guys. Both have been great thus far.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Pizza

To be honest, I noticed Mitchell more during the pre season. The sequence showed good things from both players and it's great to see them both contributing immediately. Hagelin's speed is impressive. The line up is better with these two guys in it. I'm hoping they can keep up their inspired play.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I will take Johnny Malkin over EC at this point. I am no big fan of Johnny, but he's at least more consistent than EC is. EC is MADDENINGLY inconsistent. He can, at times, offer some really great play. But it's 1 game in 10. I'd take 10 games in 10 of consistent mediocrity of Johnny over EC any day.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:42 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I will take Johnny Malkin over EC at this point.
Same. Hell, he was a 20-30 point player on some awful Toronto teams not too long ago. we've seen enough of EC to know what he will and will not do for us. give someone else a try, at the least.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Dorado*

Mitchell fits our system . EC not even close and without playing a lot o shoot out games this far even less . Doubt he'd thrive anywhere but maybe a team that trades chances or plays a more passive forecheck and traps and transitions he could be given another look . He really has Europe or KHL written all over him down the line . Torts says it all the time Gernander has the Whale playing the same system as NYR and makes transitioning AHL ers much more seamless

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Chimp

Hagelin's speed has been relieving the team of pressure, Torts mentioned that and he wasn't kidding. His tenacious forechecking pays off, it makes his line much harder to play against while Mitchell owns the boards.

The great part is, if they just keep working hard like this, I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to keep it up, except for conditioning, which shouldn't be a problem.

I don't want to be too early, but the team looks much better with these callups, simply because they fit Tort's model incredibly well.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:52 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Hagelin's speed has been relieving the team of pressure, Torts mentioned that and he wasn't kidding. His tenacious forechecking pays off, it makes his line much harder to play against while Mitchell owns the boards.

The great part is, if they just keep working hard like this, I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to keep it up, except for conditioning, which shouldn't be a problem.

I don't want to be too early, but the team looks much better with these callups, simply because they fit Tort's model incredibly well.
I like the look of the team, but I fear for Prust's life if they don't get someone else in the line-up who can fight.....

This next Pitt game should be an eye-opener. Pitt has quite a few players who will drop the gloves and do it well and they play an in your face style like the Rangers.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:37 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post

I thought I read it here or somewhere else during training camp that it was mentioned Hagelin is one of the best conditioned players in the organization.

Old
11-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I think Hagelin staying is a MUST. This team doesnt have any fast guys really. We have some great skaters like McDonagh, Del Zotto, etc. Then a speedster like Gaborik. But thats really about it. You play some opposing teams and it just looks like they're flying all over the ice and theres no chance to breathe. Hagelin adds more speed, we need that.
Our lineup next year has the potential to be really fast with guys like Gaborik, Hagelin, Kreider, Callahan, Avery, McDonagh, and perhaps even Christian Thomas who is pretty quick in his own right.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Our lineup next year has the potential to be really fast with guys like Gaborik, Hagelin, Kreider, Callahan, Avery, McDonagh, and perhaps even Christian Thomas who is pretty quick in his own right.
Avery is a goner as a UFA

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:44 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Don't forget Miller. I believe he has a chance to make the team.

Yeah Avery is gone. Along with Fedatenko, Wolski and Christensen.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:58 PM
darko

Malkin was a whipping boy in Toronto. Nice to see him doing well but he'll probably be the oddman out when Rupp and Wolski are good to go.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Malkin was a whipping boy in Toronto. Nice to see him doing well but he'll probably be the oddman out when Rupp and Wolski are good to go.
As he should be. And I am fine with him in the pressbox. Just get EC off the team once WW and Rupp are back.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:28 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
As he should be. And I am fine with him in the pressbox. Just get EC off the team once WW and Rupp are back.
I would be 100% okay with both Wolski and Christensen gone. Let Rupp play on the 4th line with and let Mitchell be the spare for a while.

He and Newbury, IMO, are ideal spare forwards and are perfectly capable of filling in on the lower lines.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

If Hagelin stays up, does he get a number change...he wore 12 in Michigan?

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:53 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would be 100% okay with both Wolski and Christensen gone. Let Rupp play on the 4th line with and let Mitchell be the spare for a while.
Agreed. I think he makes the ideal extra forward. Plays the coach's preferred style, physical, capable of contributing some offense - pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He and Newbury, IMO, are ideal spare forwards and are perfectly capable of filling in on the lower lines.
Yeaaah, I dunno about Newbury. Never been impressed when I've seen him with the big club. I think he's more of a classic AAAA player.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote