HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2011, 03:52 PM
  #351
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
He hasn't needed to steal some games though. The team is three points back of first place with a game in hand and a +12 goal differential. He's played 16 games. They have only lost one game by more than three goals but have five one goal wins and a shutout under Bryz. Yes, they probably could have two more wins if Bryz stole a couple games, but he didn't. I bet Patrick Roy and Marty Brodeur in his prime could have stolen some games that they wound up losing too. He is getting paid a lot and should steal some games for us. There are sixty or so left.
If he had stolen a game or two (Which is..you know, the reason he's here) then we'd be in first. So...I guess he should have stepped up and taken control of some games.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
11-28-2011, 03:59 PM
  #352
Broad st phantom
Registered User
 
Broad st phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
I just want him to turn it around, plain and simple.

Broad st phantom is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 03:59 PM
  #353
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
He hasn't needed to steal some games though. The team is three points back of first place with a game in hand and a +12 goal differential. He's played 16 games. They have only lost one game by more than three goals but have five one goal wins and a shutout under Bryz. Yes, they probably could have two more wins if Bryz stole a couple games, but he didn't. I bet Patrick Roy and Marty Brodeur in his prime could have stolen some games that they wound up losing too. He is getting paid a lot and should steal some games for us. There are sixty or so left.
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. He hasn't needed to steal any games?

Newsflash genius... two points in November are equal to 2 points in March. Where we are in the standings is fugging irrelevant. When you have the chance to get us a "W" and you're being paid craptons to do so, YOU NEED TO DO IT.

Bryzgalov is being paid to be something better than we've had in net the past 10 seasons. Thus far, he isn't doing that. He's actually been much worse than Bobs was for us in the regular season last year.

If Bryz isn't going to steal us games just because he "doesn't need to to keep us on top of the standings",then I wish we would've spent that 5.67M elsewhere. We can have Leights in goal to not steal games for a helluva lot less. Or we can have Bobs in goal. He was in goal while we were leading the whole NHL in points last year @ the midway point... wasn't he?

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 04:02 PM
  #354
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,976
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If he had stolen a game or two (Which is..you know, the reason he's here) then we'd be in first. So...I guess he should have stepped up and taken control of some games.
Yes but two games does not make the whole season when you still have probably 40-50 games that you'll be playing in. I'm sure he'll have plenty of opportunities to steal games over the next 40-50 games and into the playoffs. And guess what, he probably won't steal all of them. He may only steal a couple, just like every other goalie, elite or not. We are 22 games in to the season and two, MAYBE three games could have been stolen. He's played well enough to steal games in other scenarios but those don't count, I suppose, especially after 16 appearances into a season. As usual, it's the handful of poor performances that matter.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 04:03 PM
  #355
Broad st phantom
Registered User
 
Broad st phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
The people talking about Bryz stealing games, I gotta side with Beef on this. I don't care if we are the best team in the league by a ten point spread. A good goalie is suppose to be a good goalie and steal games for his team. The one poster say's he doesn't need to, that argument is dumb IMO. The truth of the matter is, even if we were in a position where you felt Bryz needed to steal one he wouldn't be able to. I don't think Goalies get to decide when they are able to turn on shut down mode. If that was the case he would have been playing a lot better for us.

Broad st phantom is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 04:06 PM
  #356
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,976
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. He hasn't needed to steal any games?

Newsflash genius... two points in November are equal to 2 points in March. Where we are in the standings is fugging irrelevant. When you have the chance to get us a "W" and you're being paid craptons to do so, YOU NEED TO DO IT.

Bryzgalov is being paid to be something better than we've had in net the past 10 seasons. Thus far, he isn't doing that. He's actually been much worse than Bobs was for us in the regular season last year.

If Bryz isn't going to steal us games just because he "doesn't need to to keep us on top of the standings",then I wish we would've spent that 5.67M elsewhere. We can have Leights in goal to not steal games for a helluva lot less. Or we can have Bobs in goal. He was in goal while we were leading the whole NHL in points last year @ the midway point... wasn't he?
NEWSFLASH he's played in 16 games and they are three points out of first. Saying he needed to steal those games is ridiculous. In April if the team is in danger of missing the playoffs, then let's get on him for not stealing games. But with three quarters of the season still to play sitting three points out of first place, let's just calm down.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 04:10 PM
  #357
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
NEWSFLASH he's played in 16 games and they are three points out of first. Saying he needed to steal those games is ridiculous. In April if the team is in danger of missing the playoffs, then let's get on him for not stealing games. But with three quarters of the season still to play sitting three points out of first place, let's just calm down.
You're totally right. The games in April mean a lot more than the games in November. They're worth like twice as much... right?

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 04:17 PM
  #358
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,976
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
You're totally right. The games in April mean a lot more than the games in November. They're worth like twice as much... right?
No, but there is no point in complaining about the two or three games he didn't steal while the team is in first place with 60 games to play. I'll be right there behind you in April saying he should have played better if the team is missing the playoffs because of missed opportunities by Bryz. But he's going to play 40-50 more games. I'm not saying he has played great, or even that he will play great. But after 16 appearances, winning multiple close games, having a shutout, and being three points out of first place with a game in hand, you're really going to complain that he didn't steal two games? You realize even the best goalies didn't and don't steal every game, even against bad teams and even when they should? This is two games. 16 appearances into the season. While we are neck and neck with the division leaders. But yeah, dude sucks and it is pretty clear after his first 16 appearances that he will never live up to his contract.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 04:19 PM
  #359
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
NEWSFLASH he's played in 16 games and they are three points out of first. Saying he needed to steal those games is ridiculous. In April if the team is in danger of missing the playoffs, then let's get on him for not stealing games. But with three quarters of the season still to play sitting three points out of first place, let's just calm down.
Your logic is so fail its ridiculous. This is evident in pretty much every single post you've ever made. You twist every situation to defend your agenda, whatever it might be.

Is Bryzgalov being paid to help this team win more games, or is he being paid to continue the status quo carried previously by bums like Boucher and Leighton? Because right now he's posting stats that are even worse than what we got from those hacks.

That should be unacceptable to Flyers fans who supposedly are the most passionate in the league - who should be interested only in winning a cup. Not interested in defending Holmgren and the organization on virtually every **** up they make, like you

BringBackStevens is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 04:32 PM
  #360
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,976
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Your logic is so fail its ridiculous. This is evident in pretty much every single post you've ever made. You twist every situation to defend your agenda, whatever it might be.
My logic is that he hasn't needed to steal games, and in the two or three games that it was even possible he didn't but there are plenty of chances left to do so. He's not going to steal every game when it is possible, and I know you aren't arguing that, but people are acting like because he didn't steal two games he's not living up to his contract, despite the fact that there are 60 games left in the season. Yeah, my logic really is flawed and I'm twisting it oh so much to support my outlandish argument.

Quote:
Is Bryzgalov being paid to help this team win more games, or is he being paid to continue the status quo carried previously by bums like Boucher and Leighton? Because right now he's posting stats that are even worse than what we got from those hacks.
I agree. 100%. But he has played in 16 games. If over the next 16 games if he is 16-0 does that mean he has lived up to his contract? Of course not. Because it is only 16 games. So why the fuss now? If I were to come in here and say he earned his contract after a great 16 game stretch, I would get laughed out here. Yet it is perfectly acceptable to condemn after 16 games of poor play and I am crazy for saying give it time. What a fool I've been!

Quote:
That should be unacceptable to Flyers fans who supposedly are the most passionate in the league - who should be interested only in winning a cup. Not interested in defending Holmgren and the organization on virtually every **** up they make, like you
Wow, you hit the nail on the head. I really should overreact after a quarter of the season being three points out of first place and rip the organization for this move! I wish I had the ability to see the future 16 games into the season to label this move a **** up. Do you have a crystal ball you are looking into or do you just get visions from the future?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 04:38 PM
  #361
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,020
vCash: 500
Every time the team is playing like crap, it's up to Bryz to hold them in the game until they get their act together. He's utterly failed to do that so far. Never mind stealing games for a win; he has yet to really give them a chance to win by holding them in it. I'm not asking him to do it every single night; but I'd LOVE to see him do it at least once at this point.


How often have we seen other teams beat us after we've outplayed them, because their goaltending was phenomenal? We are paying Bryz to do that, and he isn't. This isn't rocket science. It's not an "overreaction" either, it's just a simple fact that Bryz has been underwhelming so far this season.

How is that acceptable to you, at his cap hit?

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
11-28-2011, 04:40 PM
  #362
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,087
vCash: 500
Bryz will come around.........

BleedOrange is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 04:47 PM
  #363
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,976
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Every time the team is playing like crap, it's up to Bryz to hold them into the game. He's utterly failed to do that so far. Never mind stealing games for a win; he has yet to really give them a chance to win by holding them in it.

Is that acceptable?
Yes that's fine, but again I'd note that he has only played in 16 games and of his 8 wins from those games, five were one goal games and one was a shutout. So I'd argue that while he has been far from perfect, he certainly hasn't failed to keep them in games when the team has been struggling. Buffalo, Phoenix, and Florida were all games that he kept them in while the team faultered. TB and LA they should have won and Bryz should have stolen those games. Montreal and St. Louis he sucked. The Winnipeg game was an atrocity all around. Carolina they probably should have won. The rest of his games were wins.

Just out of curiosity, in a 16 game stretch, what would you like from a goalie? Two more wins than they have? Four more? I mean really, we are splitting hairs here after 16 ****ing appearances. I know no one is saying he will be undefeated, but I am curious as to what our record SHOULD be if Bryz played up to his contract.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 04:52 PM
  #364
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,976
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
How often have we seen other teams beat us after we've outplayed them, because their goaltending was phenomenal? We are paying Bryz to do that, and he isn't. This isn't rocket science. It's not an "overreaction" either, it's just a simple fact that Bryz has been underwhelming so far this season.

How is that acceptable to you, at his cap hit?
You are absolutely right and I am not saying he has played great. He has had streaks where he has played well and streaks where he has played poorly. But be damn reasonable. It's 16 appearances. He's not going to be perfect 100% of the time. All I care about is winning. I don't care if they pay him more than Ovechkin for a longer period of time than Kovalchuk if the team is winning, which they are. Especially 20 games into a season. I'll start to complain when the team starts losing. Otherwise, what is the point?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 05:00 PM
  #365
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
You are absolutely right and I am not saying he has played great. He has had streaks where he has played well and streaks where he has played poorly. But be damn reasonable. It's 16 appearances. He's not going to be perfect 100% of the time. All I care about is winning. I don't care if they pay him more than Ovechkin for a longer period of time than Kovalchuk if the team is winning, which they are. Especially 20 games into a season. I'll start to complain when the team starts losing. Otherwise, what is the point?
We aren't winning because of any superb or exceptional effort from him, and he hasn't really done anything to make the team better than it was last year...which was the entire point of getting him.

I prefer not to wait until we start losing. He's underperforming right now, and he should be called on it. .897% is horrible. Until he starts winning games for us (the job he's being paid to do), I reserve the right to complain about him. A quarter of the season in, he's been no better than Biron.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
11-28-2011, 05:31 PM
  #366
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
A quarter of the season in, he's been no better than Biron.
I'd argue differently. I don't see him letting in goals that he really should not. He hasn't been the sole reason we've won a game...but also he isn't loosing any games on his own out there.
Birons, ML, ect were good for a softy a game.
Bob wasnt for the most part last year, I thought he was ok...I'm not complaining if the G gets beat by difficult shots.

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 05:47 PM
  #367
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I'd argue differently. I don't see him letting in goals that he really should not. He hasn't been the sole reason we've won a game...but also he isn't loosing any games on his own out there.
Birons, ML, ect were good for a softy a game.
Bob wasnt for the most part last year, I thought he was ok...I'm not complaining if the G gets beat by difficult shots.
Really? I've seen him let in quite a few that a top-flight goalie shouldn't allow. He's looked lazy and sloppy quite often.

edit: Just one example, but check out Grabner's goal: http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...YI104&fr=false

He absolutely should have had that.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
11-28-2011, 05:58 PM
  #368
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Really? I've seen him let in quite a few that a top-flight goalie shouldn't allow. He's looked lazy and sloppy quite often.
I can't reference any examples other than the Isles game anymore from memory, but after each game/goal Ive been watching.

Can't see your vid on iPhone, but I think that was the third isles goal? And I agree, bad goal and said as much 2 pages ago. But I'd counter thats been the exception for him this season. But the first two that game, i don't expect any goalie in the world to make those....

His stats certainly are terrible right now....hes also def not a "highlight goalie"...never was, most guys aren't.


Last edited by achdumeingute: 11-28-2011 at 06:04 PM.
achdumeingute is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 06:04 PM
  #369
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I can't reference any examples other than the Isles game anymore from memory, but after each game/goal Ive been watching.

Can't see your vid on iPhone, but I think that was the third isles goal? And I agree, bad goal and said as much 2 pages ago. But I'd counter thats been the exception for him this season.

His stats certainly are terrible right now....hes also def not a "highlight goalie"...never was, most guys aren't.
You're forgetting a few goals where he couldn't keep his pad down, failed to hold the post, or flat out got beaten, then.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
11-28-2011, 06:04 PM
  #370
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Will this thread ever die?

Just as with the Briere contract, Bryzgalov's end of the bargain cannot tallied until at least several playoff seasons with the Flyers are under his belt.
thank you. that's what im sayin.

funghoul is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 06:07 PM
  #371
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Every time the team is playing like crap, it's up to Bryz to hold them in the game until they get their act together. He's utterly failed to do that so far. Never mind stealing games for a win; he has yet to really give them a chance to win by holding them in it. I'm not asking him to do it every single night; but I'd LOVE to see him do it at least once at this point.


How often have we seen other teams beat us after we've outplayed them, because their goaltending was phenomenal? We are paying Bryz to do that, and he isn't. This isn't rocket science. It's not an "overreaction" either, it's just a simple fact that Bryz has been underwhelming so far this season.

How is that acceptable to you, at his cap hit?
We'd all like to see this but be patient. it's november. year one. You know he's better than he's shown. and he hasnt even been that bad. I'm sorry im so annoying about this dude but i really have waited 25 years for us to do what we did, and i believe he is our guy. the guy who will overcome and win a cup for us. crazy as it sounds. I think vokoun would look worse with the way we've played, then we'd have a whole other why didn't we get bryzgalov thread.


Last edited by funghoul: 11-28-2011 at 06:12 PM.
funghoul is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 06:14 PM
  #372
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You're forgetting a few goals where he couldn't keep his pad down, failed to hold the post, or flat out got beaten, then.
I probably interpret them differently....

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 06:15 PM
  #373
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
We'd all like to see this but be patient. it's november. year one. You know he's better than he's shown. and he hasnt even been that bad. I'm sorry im so annoying about this dude but i really have waited 25 years for us to do what we did, and i believe he is our guy. the guy who will overcome and win a cup for us. crazy as it sounds.
He hasn't really convinced me he can take the pressure. I guess we have damned near a decade for him to figure it out. Hopefully he does it before he passes his prime...which isn't too much longer. Either way, he hasn't done anything in the games he's played to show me that he's capable of carrying a team. It makes the Phoenix fans' claims that he was a product of their team's playing style sound less like bitter ranting and more like the truth.

It'd be really neat if he could start showing me he has it ASAP, what with everyone being injured and such.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
11-28-2011, 06:17 PM
  #374
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I think vokoun would look worse with the way we've played, then we'd have a whole other why didn't we get bryzgalov thread.
I agree man. The team D needs to play ALOT better.

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 06:24 PM
  #375
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It makes the Phoenix fans' claims that he was a product of their team's playing style sound less like bitter ranting and more like the truth.
There is no goalie that isn't a product of a system. They don't play by themselves. Bryz hasn't even been in a SO yet...
Phx, lak, Nsh, min all play very defensive hockey. We don't. When you turn things over in bad spots your going to get a goalie beat.
In years past we havent had a goalie that will make the "80%" save every game...

achdumeingute is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.