HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Maurice gets axed in Carolina

Old
11-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Trumanperro

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Paul Maurice gets axed in Carolina

Washington Post

http://bloguin.com/puckdrunklove/201...s-the-axe.html

Kirk Muller gets his first NHL job, you got to feel anyone who's ****ed the Isles are getting their way today!

I think he would be a great option for us right now, you know Cappy has to be feeling some heat.

Last edited by Trumanperro: 11-28-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Renbarg

Don Maloney is rumored to be named Canada's next prime minister later today.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:17 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

I would love to get Maurice and move Capuano to assistant. I'm sure Garth would be interested, he made it to the final 3 when they were looking for a coach a few years back.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Don Maloney is rumored to be named Canada's next prime minister later today.
Mike Milbury crowned first Canadian king later tonight on CBC. Lol

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin

Maurice might be the worst choice to coach your team. He doesn't trust young players, instead favoring veterans to the point where he'll overplay them just to ensure the young players don't get a shot.

He was told, to start this season, to develop the prospects for Carolina. Zac Dalpe made a great showing in camp/preseason, then promptly started the year on the 4th line. There were games this year where Dalpe/Boychuk received 4 minutes of icetime each.

For a veteran team looking for a shot to go far in the playoffs, Maurice is absolutely the right coach to use. For a rebuilding team, he's worse than Nolan

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:33 AM
StrongIslanders90

So it looks like we are the only "micky mouse" organization that does not know when to fire a coach......

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:35 AM
OpAck

Only benefit having Maurice as coach compared to Cappy is NHL coaching experience. And that doesn't make him a much more attractive option.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Muller and Hunter get first head coaching jobs in the NHL - two of Islanderville's FAVORITE personalities!

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:11 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Maurice might be the worst choice to coach your team. He doesn't trust young players, instead favoring veterans to the point where he'll overplay them just to ensure the young players don't get a shot.

He was told, to start this season, to develop the prospects for Carolina. Zac Dalpe made a great showing in camp/preseason, then promptly started the year on the 4th line. There were games this year where Dalpe/Boychuk received 4 minutes of icetime each.

For a veteran team looking for a shot to go far in the playoffs, Maurice is absolutely the right coach to use. For a rebuilding team, he's worse than Nolan
Well in that case, never mind Isn't Boychuk more or less considered a bust at this point? I've heard Dalpe is tearing it up though.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
He was told, to start this season, to develop the prospects for Carolina.
Problem is that coaches keep their jobs based on wins/losses, not player development. If the Hurricanes were winning while leaning on the vets, he'd still have a job.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Well in that case, never mind Isn't Boychuk more or less considered a bust at this point? I've heard Dalpe is tearing it up though.
The fanbase is divided on Boychuk. Some say he hasn't really been given a true shot to play in the league, just bottom 6 time. And that's true, especially considering his skillset is better suited for a Top 6 role. And he's had a lot of success in the AHL. The counterargument to that is that he's done nothing to justify putting him in a Top 6 role. His preseason/camps have always been less than stellar, and he's never really been noticeable in games, even if he's just getting bottom 6 time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Problem is that coaches keep their jobs based on wins/losses, not player development. If the Hurricanes were winning while leaning on the vets, he'd still have a job.
Coaches keep their jobs by making the GM happy. If the GM says play the young guys, and you don't, you get fired. It's been that way throughout Maurice's career. Back when Carolina had a good, veteran team (1998-2002), Maurice coached the team to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years (should have been 4 out of 4, if not for the loser point). Then 2002-2003 came along, the team sucked, they started focusing on the youth, and Maurice was fired for not adjusting.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:57 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Muller and Hunter get first head coaching jobs in the NHL - two of Islanderville's FAVORITE personalities!
At what point is Anaheim going to fire Carlyle and hire Darcy Tucker

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:25 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:

I agree totally. I live in Raleigh and watch the Canes often. Maurice would be bad for this team for the reasons stated above. This is one reason why I think he got canned. Too much reliance on vets.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:37 PM
CodeE

Hey, at least Hunter or Muller weren't announced as the new coaches of the Islanders.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:35 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

Dramatic misconception:

Nolan played his kids with the vets and made them EARN ice time. Look at the kids who played the most and the least and understand the floaters and guys we now loathe played the least but many were eager beaver "let the kid play" fannies so there was anger.

But....the kids played their BEST hockey under him. All heart and hustle or no ice time.

I'd take Nolan back in a heartbeat as he wasn't the problem when he got fired - as many can see now. A GM with 80 foot arms meddling with the bench and other nuances was. Well, a GM with 80 foot arms and strings all tied to him, anyway.

I would start this rebuild with Nolan 10 times out of 10 given the blight we've seen with our rebuild coach du jour Scratch Scrotum. (Cappy's been fine - solid at times, but he's Nolan light IMHO)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Coaches keep their jobs by making the GM happy. If the GM says play the young guys, and you don't, you get fired.
GMs are pretty happy when the team wins. Like I said, if the Hurricanes were 1st in the division right now, while leaning on vets, Maurice would still have a job.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I live right outside of Raleigh and I work at the RBC Center.
The Isles have been and always will be #1.

The 'Canes have been #1a when it comes to who I root for.

But, there is no way in hell I'll root for that SOB Muller.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:28 PM
OpAck

BREAKING NEWS: 5 minutes after the Kirk Muller press conference...Muller changed his mind and decided his heart was set on becoming Montreal's next head coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan
I live right outside of Raleigh and I work at the RBC Center.
The Isles have been and always will be #1.

The 'Canes have been #1a when it comes to who I root for.

But, there is no way in hell I'll root for that SOB Muller.
I'm in the same boat and couldn't have said it any better. It's tough when you're 1A team makes a move like that.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote