HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Filatov recalled/sent down thread (Called Up, Nov 26)

Old
11-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Billy Madison*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
someone with his skillset ''should'' put up numbers if placed with top line players and given top line minutes, he hasn't really had that chance yet in Ottawa and playing him on the 4th line is quite redundant.

He's either a top 6 NHL player or a KHL player, I'm just surprised it took MacLean so long to figure that one out.
Figure what out? He wanted him in Bingo and he wanted him to earn his roster spot in Ottawa... not sure there was anything for MacLean to get. Other way around. Filatov had to go down to Bingo, play like he was too good for the AHL (he did a lot of the time) and continue to work hard. He's getting his shot now based on what the organization asked of him.

We'll see if he produces with prime minutes but it's not like he has 25 games to score his first goal either. If he doesn't produce playing top mins then he's in trouble.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
someone with his skillset ''should'' put up numbers if placed with top line players and given top line minutes, he hasn't really had that chance yet in Ottawa and playing him on the 4th line is quite redundant.

He's either a top 6 NHL player or a KHL player, I'm just surprised it took MacLean so long to figure that one out.
Filatov was in the top 6 to start the year and it quickly became obvious he wasn't one of our best options there. MacLean's no fool, few NHL coaches are that foolish...we aren't bending over backwards for this guy if he isn't earning it....even if it means disappointing the countless fans that decided this was going to be a steal before the season started.

MacLean hasn't had some sort of revelation realizing Filatov is a top 6 player whether it's in the NHL or elsewhere. Smith, Daug and Condra are all bottom 6 players no matter how you look at it....they played 16+ last night because they've earned all kinds of ice, they are still bottom 6 players.

Filatov playing less than 10 minutes a night had more to do with the fact that he wasn't contributing anything no matter where he was in the lineup. He wasn't worth putting on the kill, he wasn't creating offense...you want him to show glimpses in order to put him back in a skilled role but he didn't do it. He's getting a chance to do it...if he doesn't deliver he'll be back to Russia or Binghamton before he's in the bottom 6 for longer than the remainder of a game.

I'm not against Filatov, I want him to prove to be a top 6er...but top 6ers have to produce and create offensive opportunities. He was alright last night, but he'll have to settle in more to hold on.

Minister of Offence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Minister of Offence

The guy we saw creating offense in pre-season disappeared as soon as the real season started. They know the skill is there, they know he's capable of it...he just needs stuff to go right to get some confidence and maybe it works out and he builds off that.

Still lots of question marks. If it was as easy as putting him in a scoring role and watching him produce like a top 6er we wouldn't have gotten him that easy.

Old
11-28-2011, 08:11 PM
FlapJackKing
Ottawa Senators

Quote:

MacLean hasn't "figured" anything out. There are messages being sent ALL the time by coaches in this league. Filatov had two games and COULD have knocked it out of the park playing on the top line. He could have put up 5 points in those couple games and the rest would be history. He didn't do that and he wasn't playing well so a decision was made...and a message was sent. If he doesn't play well consistently and work hard he will play on the 3rd/4th line (and we have enough 3rd/4th liners without throwing Filatov in there) or in Bingo. It is as simple as that imo...

FlapJackKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:24 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlapJackKing View Post
MacLean hasn't "figured" anything out. There are messages being sent ALL the time by coaches in this league. Filatov had two games and COULD have knocked it out of the park playing on the top line. He could have put up 5 points in those couple games and the rest would be history. He didn't do that and he wasn't playing well so a decision was made...and a message was sent. If he doesn't play well consistently and work hard he will play on the 3rd/4th line (and we have enough 3rd/4th liners without throwing Filatov in there) or in Bingo. It is as simple as that imo...
Unbiasedly I think ge should get just as much a shot zibby got. 9 games on the top lines.

And no I don't think zibby played at a giid nhl level and should have played all 9. That's not a knock on Zibanejad I really like Zibanejad I just feel it was obvious he wasn't going to make the team before he was sent to SEL, but they let him play out the games while Filatov was in the AHL.

At least Sens have said he's designated top line minutes for the next 3 games so we will see what he does with it.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlapJackKing View Post
this is what I don't get, sometimes finding chemistry takes time and patience(more often then not it doesn't happen over night...heck even Michalek is only now starting to show some real jam up there) none of which was given with Niki. They gave him a few preseason games and 2 reg games to find himself a spot in the top 6...surprise...he didn't play lights out in those games.

Nothing should be a given in this league and I truly believe in ''earning your icetime'', but there is no denying the fact that he hasn't really been given a fair shot up until this point, highly skilled players shouldn't be kept on extremely short leashes when confidence is already wearing thin on them. If anything, MacLean should really lean on the guy and see how he responds, afterall, most people have dubbed this a ''evaluation/development'' year anyways.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
this is what I don't get, sometimes finding chemistry takes time and patience(more often then not it doesn't happen over night...heck even Michalek is only now starting to show some real jam up there) none of which was given with Niki. They gave him a few preseason games and 2 reg games to find himself a spot in the top 6...surprise...he didn't play lights out in those games.

Nothing should be a given in this league and I truly believe in ''earning your icetime'', but there is no denying the fact that he hasn't really been given a fair shot up until this point, highly skilled players shouldn't be kept on extremely short leashes when confidence is already wearing thin on them. If anything, MacLean should really lean on the guy and see how he responds, afterall, most people have dubbed this a ''evaluation/development'' year anyways.
Not every body can get a shot right away. There were other players that earned their shot over Filatov and they have been treated the same way. Zibanejad is back in Sweden, Da Costa is in Bingo, and Butler started to turn it around.

Now, Filatov will get his chance to show what he can do like the others. Hopefully he takes the ball and runs with it because he has more rope now than at the begining on the year. Just enough to hang himself, really.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Other guys worked into those spots better than Filatov did. For whatever reason, they earned it faster than Filatov was able to.

Regarding a player like Michalek...he's a big contract guy that's paid as though he's proven he can do it. The org, I assume, was aware injuries held him back and they had to keep at it with him.

Filatov's never proven it....so until he does he doesn't get that benefit of the doubt treatment. The draft status kinda gets thrown out the window too, we got him for a 2nd round pick, we got Michalek for a former 50 goal scorer.

I expect Filatov will get an honest chance over the next several games. It could be getting to crunch time and they want to see it work.

Old
11-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Other guys worked into those spots better than Filatov did. For whatever reason, they earned it faster than Filatov was able to.

Regarding a player like Michalek...he's a big contract guy that's paid as though he's proven he can do it. The org, I assume, was aware injuries held him back and they had to keep at it with him.

Filatov's never proven it....so until he does he doesn't get that benefit of the doubt treatment. The draft status kinda gets thrown out the window too, we got him for a 2nd round pick, we got Michalek for a former 50 goal scorer.

I expect Filatov will get an honest chance over the next several games. It could be getting to crunch time and they want to see it work.
Third round pick.

Also, the best chemistry isn't necessarily the one that achieves it quickest.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonahan View Post
Third round pick.

Also, the best chemistry isn't necessarily the one that achieves it quickest.
Ya woops.

That's true but you aren't going to wait for it if you have to win 60 minute hockey games.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:25 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I don't buy this stuff that Filatov didn't get a fair shake yet. He came out of training camp on the 1st line & played there for a number of games. He was also on the 2nd line for awhile with Alfredson so he got to play with our best forwards in numerous games & didn't put up any points. Obviouly on the 1st line he gets to play with some better offensive players but if he has as much skill as I keep reading on here he should also be able to score from the 4th line playing against other teams 4th line or inferior talent. He looks like he is trying but just not getting results & unfortunately the NHL is a results business.

Elite players should make their own good fortune, I think Gaborik could still blow by guys going wide & score goals if he was on the 4th line, he could make his own offense. I think people are just making excuses for this guy in the hope that he can break out at some point. If anyone should win the Bochenski award it just might be Filatov. I hope he all of a sudden gets it & goes on a tear, that would be great for Ottawa & answer a few questions regarding the team going forward. But let's not hold our collective breath, he could also be another Bochenski.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I don't buy this stuff that Filatov didn't get a fair shake yet. He came out of training camp on the 1st line & played there for a number of games. He was also on the 2nd line for awhile with Alfredson so he got to play with our best forwards in numerous games & didn't put up any points. Obviouly on the 1st line he gets to play with some better offensive players but if he has as much skill as I keep reading on here he should also be able to score from the 4th line playing against other teams 4th line or inferior talent. He looks like he is trying but just not getting results & unfortunately the NHL is a results business.

Elite players should make their own good fortune, I think Gaborik could still blow by guys going wide & score goals if he was on the 4th line, he could make his own offense. I think people are just making excuses for this guy in the hope that he can break out at some point. If anyone should win the Bochenski award it just might be Filatov. I hope he all of a sudden gets it & goes on a tear, that would be great for Ottawa & answer a few questions regarding the team going forward. But let's not hold our collective breath, he could also be another Bochenski.
Filatov played 2 games to start the season, had 1 assist, and was the only plus player on the team. I don't really know what you're really attacking here. No he hasn't shown much but he hasn't been given much of an opportunity to. He thinks that he needs to focus on his defensive game and they want him to work on his offensive game -- I feel like something is being lost in translation here. It seems like he got the message though because he was much more dynamic against Carolina and looked really good.

For what it's worth though he didn't look back in his call-ups or his time in Ottawa previously. It just seemed like he was playing the role of a bottom 6 forward. He was fighting hard for pucks, dumping and chasing, and not doing much else.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:42 PM
BK201

Quote:

You've posted 2 things today I completely agree with

Although I still think zibby got 9 games and deserved them just as much as Filatov deserves these games.

Somewhat similar circumstances.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Filatov was in the top 6 to start the year and it quickly became obvious he wasn't one of our best options there. MacLean's no fool, few NHL coaches are that foolish...we aren't bending over backwards for this guy if he isn't earning it....even if it means disappointing the countless fans that decided this was going to be a steal before the season started.

MacLean hasn't had some sort of revelation realizing Filatov is a top 6 player whether it's in the NHL or elsewhere. Smith, Daug and Condra are all bottom 6 players no matter how you look at it....they played 16+ last night because they've earned all kinds of ice, they are still bottom 6 players.

Filatov playing less than 10 minutes a night had more to do with the fact that he wasn't contributing anything no matter where he was in the lineup. He wasn't worth putting on the kill, he wasn't creating offense...you want him to show glimpses in order to put him back in a skilled role but he didn't do it. He's getting a chance to do it...if he doesn't deliver he'll be back to Russia or Binghamton before he's in the bottom 6 for longer than the remainder of a game.

I'm not against Filatov, I want him to prove to be a top 6er...but top 6ers have to produce and create offensive opportunities. He was alright last night, but he'll have to settle in more to hold on.
Filtov was in the top six for two games, 27 minutes in total, he had 1 assist and was +1.

I think it is time the speculation and opinions were put away and people listened to Murray's interview on the topic of Filatov and Da Costa.

It was pretty clear MacLean told Murray Filatov deserved the opportunity, Murray also was pretty clear he didn't think they had given Filatov a fair chance.

I don't think Filatov has to score a certain number of goals or points, what he has to do is work hard and use his skills with the puck. His first night back was pretty good according to MacLean, he just has to keep it up.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:25 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

Then I guess you don't believe Murray then, because that is exactly what he said two days ago.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Minister of Offence

May play tomorrow, didn't come back yesterday because of dizzyness/headache.

Mendes.

Old
11-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Argh...

Filatov has the worst luck. He had some really nice jump in his step against the Jets before he went down. There was one point where he went from the blueline to the net in about half a second. My mind was blown. He's incredibly fast when he wants to be.

Oh and he was there at the doorstep for almost every rebound if they had come his way. Working really hard. Very confident he would have had a goal if he stayed in the game.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:04 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Oh and he was there at the doorstep for almost every rebound if they had come his way.
Filly...DO...rebounds?

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:20 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Filly...DO...rebounds?
I am absolutely shocked... what does Sens give him to food? I do not know what it is but I want it too (and IMO our players too). He plays in the front of the net, he hits. These two things he did not do too much in CBJ.

Btw his pick after Fehrs "work":

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Juneemoon

You can only imagine what that would look like if he hadn't been wearing a visor.

Last edited by Juneemoon: 11-30-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:12 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
You can only imagine what that would look like if he hadn't been wearing a visor.
Says mom.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:28 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Says mom.
Filatovs mother must love you...

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote