HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

The NBA is "Tentatively" Back

Old
11-26-2011, 03:12 PM
SilverSeven

vCash: 500
Basketball is horrible.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 03:27 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Awesome! Go Thunder!

PS you all sound like American's talking about Hockey.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 03:27 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Anderson We Trust View Post
It's not scoring a basket that's exciting (unless it's a really nice basket or an important one), it's when teams go on a run and score 8 straight points or something like that and you can feel the momentum starting to tip that makes it exciting or when you get a steal or a block on defense.
In a fast paced game with some good teams/players it can get as exciting as a good hockey game. (but still, nothing beats playoff hockey)
I don't think i would call basketball a fast pace game are there times sure but over all its not fast pace.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 03:36 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
It makes perfect sense...

Have you not seen Tiger Woods play lately?
He's been scoring a lot I hear.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
He's been scoring a lot I hear.
I've never heard that one before

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 03:56 PM
PCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
I heard some people on NPR talk about how people will lose interest in the game and how that happened to the NHL after their lockout. I don't think that's really the case...it seems the NHL gained popularity by using the drama of the lockout to culminate with a thrilling re-entrance, a re-designed logo and increased marketing, television coverage, non-traditional/AHL venues for pre-season games, and the winter classiq housing almost 80K people plus broadcast rights. I don't know what the Neilesn ratings are (or how accurate they are) but I feel the NHL is way more popular than pre-lockout and it didn't hurt to have "the Next One" waiting in the draft.

I don't know what the NBA's plans are but they should use the re-entrance as a positive thing and give people a reason to be excited about the game resuming. As for the interest in this type of sport being it high-scoring...yes it can be a little boring but I tend to find a little more interest in how those 60+ pts are scored each time. Watching SU basketball (and it has been stated that college BB is waaayyy better than NBA) I think those kids work awfully hard to get each basket so I can get into it. The NBA's telecasts in HD are pretty sweet imho, but if they're not trying then it can get rather boring.

The NHL takes measures to make the game more enjoyable for the fans...perhaps the NBA should take equivalent measures to make it more catching.
The NBA won't be doing anything except rushing to get this CBA approved and then try to put together a 60+ game season in a month.

The NHL brought in pretty much a whole new system (salary cap) and lost a whole year. Plenty of reason and time to change things up quite a bit.

I have several friends who are huge sports fans in general, and were big hockey fans before the lockout, but are just getting back into the NHL in the last year or so. Took them about 5 years to come back to the league, they just lost interest after the lockout. Of course, they come back and talk about how the sport is better than ever (like I told them in '06!) but that's besides the point.

The NHL lockout and this NBA lockout don't compare at all, I wouldn't expect to see many changes at all in the NBA come out of this.

I'm not a big NBA fan, but my brother is, so I usually catch some games and try to keep at least a little knowledgeable on it. It just seems like too much dick wagging amongst the big stars; it's a bit much for me, especially after that Lebron/Big-3 thing last summer.

PCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 06:56 PM
TheSpaceCoyote
Sens fan in NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I don't think i would call basketball a fast pace game are there times sure but over all its not fast pace.
What I meant was when it's a fast paced game it's exciting. It isn't always fast paced but when it is it's great to watch.

TheSpaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 08:33 PM
trobby

I like B-Ball...I watch it when I can.

The problem is the time-outs. There's too many.
They need to limit the amount of time- outs in general, and specifically the amount you can call in the last 2 minutes of a game.

The game loses it's flow during the most crutial time, the end. It's frustating to watch.

If you limit the amount of Time-outs at end of a game, it will force the Head Coach to come up with set plays that players will need to learn.

It would keep the flow of the game going, and the same time create more excitement, and probably many mistakes. It would enhance the overall game.

Signed,
Commish.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:35 AM
tony d
The man

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Awesome! Go Thunder!

PS you all sound like American's talking about Hockey.
What I was going to say. Seems like here in Canada we have the same opinion of basketball that Americans do of hockey. That said I enjoy watching basketball, glad it's back. Go Pistons.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:10 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
What I was going to say. Seems like here in Canada we have the same opinion of basketball that Americans do of hockey. That said I enjoy watching basketball, glad it's back. Go Pistons.
I am not a huge nba fan however i am a very big ncaa fan and the same with alot of people i know.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:38 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
Speak for yourself. I love watching basketball on TV.
I... was?

I generally don't try to speak for the general population. That's all 100%, unedited, unbiased Sensjersey11.

... typing that made me thing I need a new username.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I'd be in favour of making basketball illegal.
I will second this nomination, throw in baseball as well!

Upgrayedd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
You, sir, are stupid.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:33 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
And when Americans say this about hockey think about how offended we are. Keep the stupid comments to your self.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:09 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Have you ever played basketball? It is a fast paced game & it's not that different than hockey, when they slow the play down or work the cycle or the trap in hockey too. The best basketball is played at the NCAA level IMO, the NBA is too much individual play for my liking & too many "me first" players. March madness is the best time of yr to be a basketball fan.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:12 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Have you ever played basketball? It is a fast paced game & it's not that different than hockey, when they slow the play down or work the cycle or the trap in hockey too. The best basketball is played at the NCAA level IMO, the NBA is too much individual play for my liking & too many "me first" players. March madness is the best time of yr to be a basketball fan.
agreed i also prefer baseball at the NCAA level.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote