Notices

Wanvig or Foy

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2005, 12:58 AM
TeamSeals

vCash: 500
Wanvig or Foy

does either Wanvig or Foy have the ability to be more than a grinder with good size and lots of energy? if they both are destined for fourth line ability then why have both of them on the team? personally I like Wanvig a little more so I'm gonna say lets trade Foy before we kill his trade value(i.e. keep him past his prospect tag).

I also dont like Daigle or Robitaille, I think between those three players and draft picks we should be able to pick up a quality second line RW to play with Koivu and Bouchard. Maybe we could also bring up Volo and see what he can do on the third line.

Old
11-18-2005, 02:21 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSeals
does either Wanvig or Foy have the ability to be more than a grinder with good size and lots of energy? if they both are destined for fourth line ability then why have both of them on the team? personally I like Wanvig a little more so I'm gonna say lets trade Foy before we kill his trade value(i.e. keep him past his prospect tag).

I also dont like Daigle or Robitaille, I think between those three players and draft picks we should be able to pick up a quality second line RW to play with Koivu and Bouchard. Maybe we could also bring up Volo and see what he can do on the third line.
At the moment, I'm also leaning just a bit towards Wanvig. It's hard to pick, they are very similar players with very similar skill level, almost like identical twins. I think one of them will be gone in the summer (or sooner). I say let them fight for their spot this season, and whoever comes up on top gets to stay.

Old
11-18-2005, 06:30 AM
ceber

I think Wanvig could work into more than a grinder. I think Foy can become more of a pest than he's been. I see two different roles for them.

Old
11-18-2005, 10:48 AM
TeamSeals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
I think Wanvig could work into more than a grinder. I think Foy can become more of a pest than he's been. I see two different roles for them.
but dont both roles still revolve around the fourth line where we already have vellieux? or do you think that we should have a pest or grinder on the second or third line? I just dont see either of them rising above a legitimate fourth line player and since we have vellieux I think one needs to go.

Old
11-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Wild4BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
I agree. Wanvig can drive the net today and hopefully in the future he can improve his finishing skills and become the power forward that we need.

I like Foy's energy and he is 2 years younger, but he currently does not show the same skill as Wanvig, so Kyle has the edge IMHO.

Old
11-18-2005, 03:30 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSeals
but dont both roles still revolve around the fourth line where we already have vellieux? or do you think that we should have a pest or grinder on the second or third line? I just dont see either of them rising above a legitimate fourth line player and since we have vellieux I think one needs to go.
I'm hoping Wanvig can develop into a 2nd line PF. Foy may have some front-of-the-net scoring talent that could be developed, too. From what I understand he can play a pest role, also.

As long as they're still showing some improvement and potential, I'd rather not move them. Just my opinion, though.

Old
11-18-2005, 04:15 PM
DWP

Although they both currently play similar roles and are physically similar, they have much different skills and tendencies. Foy has much more speed than Wanvig. Wanvig is more proficient about the net. While in Houston, Wanvig really showed some mental lapses and, frankly, didn't always put out a full effort on both ends of the ice.

Foy, rarely called in a performance. He has more of a pest mentality. And along with that he has good speed.

If the two of them are destined to be fouth line grinders, I think Foy would be better equiped to accept such a role. And I mean that from both a mental and skills perspective.

Old
11-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Sherlock

Send a message via AIM to Sherlock
Wanvig is turning 25 in a couple months, right? Maybe it's just me, but I think the window might be closing on his potential as a second line power forward. That's not to say he isn't useful, but I don't think he'll develop much beyond a pretty good third liner.

Foy is ~ two years younger, and I love how hard he skates. I honestly can't remember him taking a shift off, or making any major mental mistakes. I think he has more offensive upside than people give him credit for. (Heck, even if he doesn't, he is always on the puck... he just needs some work on his finishing skills.)

Anyway, that's my $.02

Old
11-25-2005, 03:10 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Foy's sent down so Wanvig gets the nod for now...

Old
11-25-2005, 03:28 PM
chaachie12

Foy didn't have to clear waivers...Wanvig would have had to. I think that is the biggest reason Foy is down.

Old
11-25-2005, 03:37 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
I think it was the right move. Not beacuase Wanvig would have had to clear Waviers. I just think Wanvig is the better player and he does alot. He always draws penaltys and he can set people up for good chances.

Old
11-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Sherlock

Send a message via AIM to Sherlock
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10
I think it was the right move. Not beacuase Wanvig would have had to clear Waviers. I just think Wanvig is the better player and he does alot. He always draws penaltys and he can set people up for good chances.
I've been more impressed with Wanvig's play than Foy's of late anyway, but I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Foy went down because of the waiver issue.

Old
11-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Avery4Byng*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock
I've been more impressed with Wanvig's play than Foy's of late anyway, but I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Foy went down because of the waiver issue.
Wanvig has great size and strength. Going to be a nice player to watch.

Closed Thread