HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are people's thoughts on dealing with players who are about to become UFA's?

Old
11-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
I think the recipe in my case would be very simple.

Question: Does the player want to play here? If yes, offer them a fair market value contract. If no, trade them at the deadline for whatever you can get for them.

I would consider overpaying for a guy if he was that important to the team. I would consider a moderate overpay for Enstrom and Slater, I think those guys are that important to us. I also believe that Welwood should be offered a bonus for signing in order to compensate him for his great performance this year. I would still only offer Wellwood a 1 or 2 year deal, because in his body of work, inconsistency has been more the rule than the exception, and I would be worried about being stuck with an albatross of a contract.

11-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

vCash: 500
I agree with those saying Chevy has to figure out who is/isn't going to be here past this season before the trade deadline and deal anyone who isn't. That's just smart asset management. We can't afford to lose guys for nothing. I suppose if we're right in the midst of a playoff race, we might hold onto guys to continue the push, but I certainly hope we're not buyers just to squeek into the playoffs. The only reason to be a significant buyer at the deadline is if you are pushing for a cup run in my opinion.

What I'm most interested in is how much of a draw we'll be in free agency. I suspect Winnipeg will be a polarizing destination among players. There will be some who would never come here in a million years, but there will be others that place us near the top of their list because of the fan support and atmosphere in the arena.

I've never been a fan of building a team through free agency, but it would be nice to be able to add some pieces when necessary.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Inflict
Viking

I think the matter is simple really. Attempt to sign your core players and when the trade deadline hits, assess whether you are going to be a buyer (in the playoff race), seller (out of the playoff race) or both (somewhere in between). If you are a buyer, you would generally keep your UFAs unless you can use them to improve the team immediately.

Our core UFAs right now are Slater, Welwood, and Glass so we should attempt to sign them. If we cannot sign them by the trade deadline, listen to offers but don't trade them unless you are given an offer that exceeds their value. Attempt to sign them until July 1st if possible.

I think Mason will be signed again but not until after the season is over. We need a veteran backup goaltender but Aebischer and Mannino do not fit the bill.

Flood will probably be signed to a similar deal that Meech signed over the summer. Meech will not be kept around and Oduya is a good candidate for a trade once our defense are healthy enough. I also wouldn't mind signing him to a 1 year 2.5 mil contract.

Either Jaffray or Stapleton will be signed but I do not see both of them. I think Jaffray will get the nod as we can sign him to a two-way deal and he has played better than Stapleton IMO.

Last edited by Inflict: 11-29-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:07 AM
meedle

vCash: 50
I think you need to look at the bigger picture and add rfa to the list.

I think its pretty easy to see that Oduya or Hainsey will get moved. They are 3.5 and 4.5 mil cap hits.

Its easy to see that Kane and Pavelec will get raises and eat whatever is moved from Oduya or Hainsey.

I think Mason will get moved as well. and his 1.85 will be used for Wellwood, Slater and Glass

Its too bad buff has a 5 mil contract for 5 yrs. cause he is not a 5mil player. I don't see that being a movable contract either. i think that contract will hamper chevy.

meedle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
Its too bad buff has a 5 mil contract for 5 yrs. cause he is not a 5mil player. I don't see that being a movable contract either. i think that contract will hamper chevy.
Buff is in the top 10 for defensemen in scoring on a below .500 team without Tobby Enstrom. Oh, and a Stanley Cup too. I think he is worth the money. I also think he has better days ahead of him. Plus, I don't think there is a team in this league that wouldn't want him.... except for maybe Canucks fans.

I also doubt we will trade away any of our RFAs during the season as all of the players need at least a full season to be evaluated by Chevy and the rest of the management.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:33 AM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
Buff is in the top 10 for defensemen in scoring on a below .500 team without Tobby Enstrom. Oh, and a Stanley Cup too. I think he is worth the money. I also think he has better days ahead of him. Plus, I don't think there is a team in this league that wouldn't want him.... except for maybe Canucks fans.

I also doubt we will trade away any of our RFAs during the season as all of the players need at least a full season to be evaluated by Chevy and the rest of the management.
Byfuglien isn't worth his contract if anything because of his poor defensive play. His offensive skills weren't really in question, although there were some doubts whether he'd be able to put up 50 points again.

Quote:
Either Jaffray or Stapleton will be signed but I do not see both of them. I think Jaffray will get the nod as we can sign him to a two-way deal and he has played better than Stapleton IMO.
I think Stapleton is a more versatile player than Jaffray is, and hence makes a more effective no. 13 forward on the roster. Jaffray is almost certainly not leaving the organization either way as if he doesn't get a contract with the Jets, he'll get one with the IceCaps. His ability to lead an AHL team isn't in question and management is familiar with him.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:56 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

-Slater is the most important ufa for the jets and we should see if we can lock him up for a 3 year deal in jan/ feb

- Wellwood 2 yr max 3mill max !.5 per...if not sell him at trade deadline........25 games does not erase history of inconsistent play... we cant negoatiate with him on a new contract until jan 1 st as per cba

- Odya is gone as soon as we get some healthy bodies back or at the trade deadline....the sooner the better ... he is not in our long term plans

- Hainsy is not going anywhere his actual dollars pd out next year are less than his cap hit in the last year on his contract..... brings lots to the table he may however get traded at the deadline next year 2013

- Enstrom is the man would like to sign him to 5 year 32-33 mill contract extension this off season..... if we cant trade him b4 trade him b4 next season starts ...with one year left on his contract his value will still be high

-RFA kane and Pavlec ---they are our future lock em up long term like NYI did ..............with TAvares not Dipietro

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:11 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
I think Stapleton has played pretty well for what he is. Considering he averages 9 minutes of ice time and has been a healthy scratch for many games, his 7 points in 16 games is not bad at all. I don't know how much of that came with his opportunities on the powerplay though. The obvious downside to Stapleton is that he's a skill player who just isn't good enough to be a top-6 forward and isn't nearly physical enough to fit the traditional fourth-line checking role.

I'd say Jaffray gets the nod between those if only one stays, but I think both will. I really hope that Cormier can make the team next year and take a spot on the fourth line though.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:31 AM
PostmanPat1919

The most important UFA coming up in the next couple of years is Tobias Enstrom, who I think will probably get somewhere around 6-6.5M for five years. We'll also need space to give Kane and Pavelec raises this year, but that space will likely come from Oduya leaving. Also, Kane's contract is bonus laden, so his cap hit may not change a whole lot. Wellwood, I think could be re-signed at 2 years, 1.5-2M per. Glass will likely be re-signed as well with a modest boost. Slater is a pretty crucial re-signing, though. He above all makes that fourth line work the way it does. His ability to take faceoffs in important defensive zone situations is critical to our penalty kill as well.

Overall we're in decent shape in terms of the salary structure, but it may become complicated if we hold onto players such as Oduya and Hainsey for amounts similar to what they have now. Hainsey would be more palatable at a salary closer to Oduya's 3.5M, and probably closer to 2.5-3M would be better considering how he hasn't brought that much of an offensive game to the plate.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote