HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best first goal ever?

Old
11-29-2011, 03:55 AM
MessierII

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFreak View Post
I hate when people say this, but Lemieux and it's not even close.
Lemieux's is only special because it was first shift first shot and he stole the puck from Ray Bourque. Eberle's was a way, way, way prettier goal I don't think that's really debatable.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:52 AM
Signature
Disreputable User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Lemieux's is only special because it was first shift first shot and he stole the puck from Ray Bourque. Eberle's was a way, way, way prettier goal I don't think that's really debatable.
Prettier yeah, but if you don't get the puck, you don't get to score.
Eberle had the prettier goal for sure, and scoring shorthanded is pretty damn good too.

But the thread title is "best", and best implies a lot more circumstance. I think if you strip Ray Bourque and score on your first shot on your first shift in your first game, it should be considered the better goal, regardless of the aesthetics.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:57 AM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
That's pretty ****ing special to me.

The topic is best, not prettiest. Even then Lemieux's would be up there.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 05:09 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I remember Shane Endicott's first and only goal. He gets a shorthanded breakaway, stops for no reason outside of the slot and floats a weak backhander that beats Theodore. I almost wonder if Theodore was surprised because he didn't expect anyone to make such a stupid decision on a breakaway. Know your opponent, Jose. We're talking about a dude that jumped on the ice multiple times a game with his stick upside down.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 05:11 AM
Signature
Disreputable User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I remember Shane Endicott's first and only goal. He gets a shorthanded breakaway, stops for no reason outside of the slot and floats a weak backhander that beats Theodore. I almost wonder if Theodore was surprised because he didn't expect anyone to make such a stupid decision on a breakaway. Know your opponent, Jose. We're talking about a dude that jumped on the ice multiple times a game with his stick upside down.

Not as terrible as you seem to remember. Still not a great player by any stretch of the imagination though.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:57 AM
SkinsFan09

SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote