HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Contemplating season tickets...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2011, 09:04 PM
  #1
jayzee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Contemplating season tickets...

hey guys - don't post here too often, but wanted some feedback from season ticket holders...

i was contemplating getting seasons, partially for family/to catch a few games, partially for business.

question is, how is dealing with the nyr ticket offices? do they treat their ticket holders well? are there any perks? anything i should know/look into?

any honest feedback would be much appreciated!

jayzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:05 PM
  #2
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
hey guys - don't post here too often, but wanted some feedback from season ticket holders...

i was contemplating getting seasons, partially for family/to catch a few games, partially for business.

question is, how is dealing with the nyr ticket offices? do they treat their ticket holders well? are there any perks? anything i should know/look into?

any honest feedback would be much appreciated!
Well there is the perk of a 15% off card at all team stores. This is my 2nd year so I don't know much other than that.

__________________
Jaime Lannister has better hands than Brian Boyle.
Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:13 PM
  #3
Giglio NYR15
Section 417
 
Giglio NYR15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Well there is the perk of a 15% off card at all team stores. This is my 2nd year so I don't know much other than that.
Agree with Hags, same for me. I feel they treat you better than the Yankees do, but alot of people on here complain...they would know more as longer sth. Just to let you know its impossible to buy 300s or 400s though or "upper bowl" (starting next year) tix for 1st time. You have to get in somewhere else, usually lower or a single seat for a year or 2. Things are going to be turned upside down starting next year with the 300s and 400s being combined so we all have no clue what the hell is going to happen. The best part about being a full sth is the prices for playoff tix...its impossible to get your hands on face value playoff tix unless your a sth.

Giglio NYR15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:25 PM
  #4
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,377
vCash: 500
Buy them. As someone who's had season tickets in the family for over 30 years, I can tell you there aren't a ton of parks but they do little things that are nice. I liked the old perks like draft parties and skating on the garden ice though. They don't do those anymore. However, the opportunity to pay $40 instead of $55 at the box office or even more on StubHub for seats in the 400s is worth it.

Being there for all playoff games makes the whole thing worth it anyway. Buy them.

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:27 PM
  #5
Giacomin
Registered User
 
Giacomin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
The Rangers treat there season ticketholders great. There are a few on this board who complain mainly about the high prices but compared to the Knicks,Yankees,Jets and Giants the prices are fair. I have always been treated great by the Reps( an example is that I have some family coming in from out of town for Christmas and asked my rep about possibly getting 5 extra tickets for the game on December 26 and he called me back within a half hour and got me 5 extra tickets for the game in the 300,s). As a STH they have fan events, WC tickets,full playoff rights,discounts at MSG and with the team getting better NOW is the time to jump on board!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:33 PM
  #6
NYRFAN218
Brass God
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,449
vCash: 500
If you know a lot of people personally that you can sell games off to or you plan on going to a good chunk of games, than I would say go for it. The biggest perk IMO is the discount you get compared to individual prices. As others have said, if you're looking for upper bowl tickets, they will be tough to get. I figure many people will drop tickets upstairs though as prices increase more after they renovate the upper bowl.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?u=53946&type=sigpic&dateline=1320361610
NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:36 PM
  #7
Megustaelhockey
Moderator
Hybrid icing
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,304
vCash: 500
Smile and prepare to drop at least $4000 per seat per season.

Consider it a gift to yourself.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:40 PM
  #8
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,072
vCash: 500
The Rangers couldn't care less about their season ticket holders. I will be downsizing from 4 to 2 tickets this summer because it's simply not worth the cost from a value proposition any longer. The only real advantage of having seasons is that you are guaranteed seats to the playoffs...but even those can be had for only a bit over face if you look in the right places.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:00 PM
  #9
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,717
vCash: 500
It all comes down to playoff tickets. The per game discount is nice and it will let you break even or make a few bucks during the regular season. The perks have been thinned out the last couple of years but I suspect that's part of a general belt tightening to pay for the arena renovations. No one lives for the perks anyway. Having been around here for a long time I can tell you that the deeper the playoffs go, the tougher and more costly tickets get. There will come a day when you will be grateful you held on to (or bought) your seasons. That's why I've had them for almost 20 years even though I haven't lived in the metro area since 1997.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:05 PM
  #10
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15
 
BlueShirts88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,290
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Would definitely go for it, I love being a season ticket holder -- It's my fourth year. I started out in the 300's directly behind the goal and by the 3rd year I was in exactly the seats I wanted for exactly the price I wanted. Benefits could be better, but thats not why I bought season tickets so its fine. All I care about is going to games -- its my favorite thing to do.

__________________
"Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!"~H. Rose
BlueShirts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:05 AM
  #11
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Would definitely go for it, I love being a season ticket holder -- It's my fourth year. I started out in the 300's directly behind the goal and by the 3rd year I was in exactly the seats I wanted for exactly the price I wanted. Benefits could be better, but thats not why I bought season tickets so its fine. All I care about is going to games -- its my favorite thing to do.
Just curious, what seats are those?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:39 AM
  #12
skroob**
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
You have to think of it this way... you get (1) tickets without extra fees (TM, facilities charges, etc) and, (2) auto playoff rights.

Thats it. Thats all you get. DO NOT go looking for perks, as there simply arent any, especially when compared to what other teams do for their STHs.

10/15/20% discount at MSG stores. - who cares when they mark it up 40% in the first place.
Fan Events - MSG skating party? Summer BBQ? (now only if you use AMEX to buy the tickets, however, it used to be BBQ *plus* and AMEX gift). Gone.
Team gifts - lower quality every year.
Free Media Guide - whoops, they don't print them anymore
Food voucher - good for a grand total of: $1 soda when you buy two $42 hot dogs
Parking coupons - Would be great if 95% of the fans didnt take the train. Fake gesture
Meeting Players - good luck. *maybe* if your kid has a learning disability and can get into Garden of Dreams, but unless they can milk it for some good PR, there is no access to the players

Now compare that with other teams ($100s in free food, free seat upgrades, yearly events with the entire team for meet&greet/autographs, amazing fan appreciation gifts, yearbooks and Team DVDs, etc) and you see how pathetic the NYR offerings are.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:49 AM
  #13
Megustaelhockey
Moderator
Hybrid icing
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
You have to think of it this way... you get (1) tickets without extra fees (TM, facilities charges, etc) and, (2) auto playoff rights.

Thats it. Thats all you get. DO NOT go looking for perks, as there simply arent any, especially when compared to what other teams do for their STHs.

10/15/20% discount at MSG stores. - who cares when they mark it up 40% in the first place.
Fan Events - MSG skating party? Summer BBQ? (now only if you use AMEX to buy the tickets, however, it used to be BBQ *plus* and AMEX gift). Gone.
Team gifts - lower quality every year.
Free Media Guide - whoops, they don't print them anymore
Food voucher - good for a grand total of: $1 soda when you buy two $42 hot dogs
Parking coupons - Would be great if 95% of the fans didnt take the train. Fake gesture
Meeting Players - good luck. *maybe* if your kid has a learning disability and can get into Garden of Dreams, but unless they can milk it for some good PR, there is no access to the players

Now compare that with other teams ($100s in free food, free seat upgrades, yearly events with the entire team for meet&greet/autographs, amazing fan appreciation gifts, yearbooks and Team DVDs, etc) and you see how pathetic the NYR offerings are.
Wow, you are jaded, but the economic reality is simply this: Teams like the Rangers with thousands of legacy, high-income STHs don't need to provide anything extra. If perks are what you want, the Stars or Panthers would love for you to have a subscription with them...

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:50 AM
  #14
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
You have to think of it this way... you get (1) tickets without extra fees (TM, facilities charges, etc) and, (2) auto playoff rights.

Thats it. Thats all you get. DO NOT go looking for perks, as there simply arent any, especially when compared to what other teams do for their STHs.

10/15/20% discount at MSG stores. - who cares when they mark it up 40% in the first place.
Fan Events - MSG skating party? Summer BBQ? (now only if you use AMEX to buy the tickets, however, it used to be BBQ *plus* and AMEX gift). Gone.
Team gifts - lower quality every year.
Free Media Guide - whoops, they don't print them anymore
Food voucher - good for a grand total of: $1 soda when you buy two $42 hot dogs
Parking coupons - Would be great if 95% of the fans didnt take the train. Fake gesture
Meeting Players - good luck. *maybe* if your kid has a learning disability and can get into Garden of Dreams, but unless they can milk it for some good PR, there is no access to the players

Now compare that with other teams ($100s in free food, free seat upgrades, yearly events with the entire team for meet&greet/autographs, amazing fan appreciation gifts, yearbooks and Team DVDs, etc) and you see how pathetic the NYR offerings are.
Well said. It's sad, but true. They don't care about us one bit.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:51 AM
  #15
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 6,105
vCash: 500
I may get flamed for this, but I don't really even care for the experience of going to a game, anymore. I'd much rather watch it at home on my giant plasma.

Everything is such a giant ripoff at the games, and with the whole "illegal to sell your own tickets on craigslist" thing, it leaves such a sour taste in my mouth.

I'd rather order a chicken parm sandwich, grab a six pack, and watch MSG.

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:03 AM
  #16
gluvhand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rockland County
Country: Greece
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
I may get flamed for this, but I don't really even care for the experience of going to a game, anymore. I'd much rather watch it at home on my giant plasma.

Everything is such a giant ripoff at the games, and with the whole "illegal to sell your own tickets on craigslist" thing, it leaves such a sour taste in my mouth.

I'd rather order a chicken parm sandwich, grab a six pack, and watch MSG.
You're definetly not alone. For me there are just too many juvenile tools in too concentrated an area to enjoy the game.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:48 AM
  #17
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,072
vCash: 500
I agree. The game on my 110" HD screen is nearly as enjoyable as watching live. The only thing you miss is the buzz and energy of the Garden, although that is really not so great on an average night. When you consider that at home you can also have a surf and turf dinner, your favorite beverage, and still have a fistful of dollars left over...it's a no-brainer. Don't get me wrong, it's great to go to a (marquee) game at MSG once in a while...but 41 games (plus 3 pre-season dates most years) against many crappy teams is a lot of overpriced hockey.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:35 PM
  #18
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy
 
Staals Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 822
I disagree with the posters above. I have had season tickets for 5 years now. It is well worth getting season tickets because of the playoffs. Playoffs at the Garden are NUTTS! I usually sell about 75% of my regular season games on the Ranges website, so the money goes right back into my account. This way the playoffs are payed for by selling regular season games, and almost half of my next season is also payed for. It takes my $5000.00 (Not including playoff tickets, they are extra) a year payment, and knocks it down to about $2000.00.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:43 PM
  #19
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
I disagree with the posters above. I have had season tickets for 5 years now. It is well worth getting season tickets because of the playoffs. Playoffs at the Garden are NUTTS! I usually sell about 75% of my regular season games on the Ranges website, so the money goes right back into my account. This way the playoffs are payed for by selling regular season games, and almost half of my next season is also payed for. It takes my $5000.00 (Not including playoff tickets, they are extra) a year payment, and knocks it down to about $2000.00.
Yeah, all 2 or 3 home playoff games each year at the Garden are exciting...I'll give you that.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
  #20
NYRKING30
Registered User
 
NYRKING30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 500
this is my first year as a sth and i love it, me and my friend have piggyback seating and so far went to 3 games. we thought we were gonna have a little trouble selling the tickets but it turns out its not the case we have like 8 or 9 left we plan on going to about 15-20. obviously we got them for the playoff benefit which is really what any1 gets sth's for. last year i paid 130 bucks for game 4 vs washington in the 400s. if i was a season ticket holder i could have went to games 3 and 4 for paying 130. so theres your benefit right there. as for tv, i also do love watching on tv because you never miss a thing and you can follow the game way better and see it better i think. at the game your always chatting and what not or for example like the other day when callahan swiped the puck in the net, in the arena we had no idea we thought richards shot it and hit it. if i was home watching on my 42 inch i would ave caught that.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:05 PM
  #21
gluvhand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rockland County
Country: Greece
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
I disagree with the posters above. I have had season tickets for 5 years now. It is well worth getting season tickets because of the playoffs. Playoffs at the Garden are NUTTS! I usually sell about 75% of my regular season games on the Ranges website, so the money goes right back into my account. This way the playoffs are payed for by selling regular season games, and almost half of my next season is also payed for. It takes my $5000.00 (Not including playoff tickets, they are extra) a year payment, and knocks it down to about $2000.00.
I'm glad it's been a positive experience...for you. I gave up seasons I had for 5 years in '96. I had seats through the "good times" and it wasn't enough to keep me going back.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.