HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2011, 04:44 PM
windflare

vCash: 500
Hudon would be amazing, if his injury allows him to drop far into the 2nd.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Didn't we get one back in the booth trade?
That's 2013 3rd

I would like Reinhart

Old
11-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Coconuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Dalton Thrower is also a big riser that is having his game really come together, a physical D-man who plays bigger than his size, can skate well and is playing well on both sides of the puck. Grew up in Squamish and North Van, playing with the North Shore Winter Club, and would definitely settle down the crowd looking for a local boy. Hope he is still around for our 2nd rounder.
I love Thrower's game and have no doubt he will be an NHL regular in a few years. I've watched him quite a bit here in Saskatoon and have really been impressed with his solid all-around play. At this point I don't know how I'd feel about taking him in the first round, but frankly I'll be surprised if he's even available early in round 2.

Of course we all know how likely it is that we take a WHLer first anyway.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:34 PM
17Kesler

I live in Everett and have seen Ryan Murray in person 30+ games. The kid has everything you look for in a hockey player. Easily the best skater I've seen the past couple years in the W. If there is any way we could get him i would be estatic, he's that damn good!

Old
11-21-2011, 05:49 PM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kesler View Post
I live in Everett and have seen Ryan Murray in person 30+ games. The kid has everything you look for in a hockey player. Easily the best skater I've seen the past couple years in the W. If there is any way we could get him i would be estatic, he's that damn good!
Got a top 5 pick?

Getting one from pick 20-30 is about as likely as... well, casually shrugging off a Salo slapper to the groin.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:50 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
And Jensen skates better than him so... where exactly are you going with this? Not every player is a speedster but Jensen can skate well enough for it not to be a weakness (like it is for Hodgson).
My point being here that it seems these days that speed is the biggest asset to be able to excel in todays game. Even moreso over size.

Old
11-21-2011, 06:05 PM
17Kesler

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
Got a top 5 pick?

Getting one from pick 20-30 is about as likely as... well, casually shrugging off a Salo slapper to the groin.
Nice analogy. If we can get a top 5 pick he's the guy i want. I realize how unrealistic it is :/

Old
11-21-2011, 06:36 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kesler View Post
Nice analogy. If we can get a top 5 pick he's the guy i want. I realize how unrealistic it is :/
I dont even know if top 5 may cut it. He could go #2 after Yaks.

Old
11-21-2011, 06:50 PM
17Kesler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I dont even know if top 5 may cut it. He could go #2 after Yaks.
He's hurt right now so it all depends on how he bounces back from the injury. He's pretty much a top 7 lock no matter how he performs post injury

Old
11-29-2011, 12:13 PM
duplo

So, Bob just tweeted that Koekkoek might be done for the year:

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Is 2012 NHL entry draft class cursed? Top prospect, Slater Koekkoek, D, of PBO dislocated shoulder, If surgery req'd, he's done for year.
If he is, maybe there's an outside chance that he falls to us? Such a deep draft year, but so many big names are getting injured.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
My point being here that it seems these days that speed is the biggest asset to be able to excel in todays game. Even moreso over size.
As the cliche goes- you can work on and improve skating, much like we've seen Hodgson. He's still got work to do, but if you can get a player with that pedigree and they 'only' need to work on skating.. You do it every time.

Jensen's skating could use work, but with that combination of size and skill it's worth overlooking. Give me a Jensen over a low iq speedster like Raymond every day.

Old
11-30-2011, 02:35 AM
Redhead90

If we pick in the late twenties in the 1st round, GMMG and his team might want to look at Colton Sissons. He was named the Rocket's captain this year with Barrie's graduation, which is immensely rare for a 17year old to be a CHL captain.North Van boy, right winger, 6'1,189lbs, 13/6.

He is usually regarded as an early-mid second rounder but I've seen some mocks with him 25-30. Also from the Rockets, we may want to look at D-man Damon Severson

I'll post links a bit more detail on both tomorrow, its late.

Old
11-30-2011, 01:13 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by duplo View Post
So, Bob just tweeted that Koekkoek might be done for the year:

If he is, maybe there's an outside chance that he falls to us? Such a deep draft year, but so many big names are getting injured.
Koekkoek is ranked around 20-30 anyways, there is definite potential for him to be available where we pick (25th-30th).

I like his size better than the other puck movers....hopefully if we move Schneids at the draft its for a top prospect and a 1st...allowing for possibilities to move up and take our guy, or load the depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead90 View Post
If we pick in the late twenties in the 1st round, GMMG and his team might want to look at Colton Sissons. He was named the Rocket's captain this year with Barrie's graduation, which is immensely rare for a 17year old to be a CHL captain.North Van boy, right winger, 6'1,189lbs, 13/6.

He is usually regarded as an early-mid second rounder but I've seen some mocks with him 25-30. Also from the Rockets, we may want to look at D-man Damon Severson

I'll post links a bit more detail on both tomorrow, its late.
YOu dont take a North Van boy, if he isnt the best player. IMO he is good, but isnt a top 30 "talent".

If we somehow got another 1st, I'd take him late in round 1, if we were able to secure a really good player early ie. Ceci or Girgensons (those two are my semi-realistic "wants").

Old
12-05-2011, 12:33 AM
thefeebster

Well the season is well on its way and the picture is starting to be a bit less hazy.

Some sleepers...

Morgan Zulinick - a Kelowna boy who has been committed and will be playing with U of Wisconsin, which is where i heard of him naturally. Scouting reports state he is a superb skater with excellent and playmaker. A bit smaller and slight, but could be a good prospect to work with in the later rounds as he is playing in the BCHL. Here's a blurb on him:
Quote:
Morgan Zulinick: Salmon Arm Silverbacks, BCHL

Hometown: Kamloops, British Columbia
Position: Center
Size: 5'11, 185
Handed: Left
Other schools considered: North Dakota, Colorado College
Zulinick on why he chose Wisconsin: "The fact that Wisconsin was a Big Ten school, and in a great location made my decision easy. The campus was beautiful and I couldn't believe the arena. The second I stepped into the Kohl Center was when I knew I wanted to play there." (Sixty Minutes Interview)
Coach Eaves: "He’s an offensive forward playing in British Columbia. He sees the ice really well and protects the puck well. He’s a very strong competitor who will bring an offensive flair to our forward group." (UWBadgers.com Press Release)
Scouting Report: "Zulinick is explossive, and makes his teammates better with his great vision and playmaking ability. He is a fantastic skater, has unbelievable poise and hockey smarts, is very dependable at both ends of the ice, and possesses a very good shot."-Dan Sallows
Chuck's Thoughts: Zulinick isn't garnering the headlines like Kerdiles due mostly to the fact that he's playing in Canada, but he's another elite forward. The Zulinick/Kerdiles combo is one of the most potent combination of 18 year old forwards the Badgers have brought to town in recent memory.
Additional Notes: Zulinick is starting to generate more draft buzz as the season goes on but isn't a lock to get drafted. Red Line Report author Kyle Woodlief recently told the Wisconsin State Journal's Andy Baggot that his reports on Zulinick are good but needs to see him more to generate a better assessment.http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2011...n-early-period
Daniil Zharkov - definitely more of a riser than a sleeper now. And a russian which we rarely ever take. But he's come over to play in the OHL. A big 6'3" winger who can play a physical game and is good defensively. Has good hands, a very good shot. 11 goals in 11 games. Could be a late 1st or early 2nd candidate.

But still I see this year as the year of the defensemen. And perhaps one abundant with overagers.

Joey Laleggia - as arsmaster i think pointed out in another thread, he is draft eligible! And is putting up points at a torrent pace as a freshman D at UDenver on the 3rd pairing. 6-5-11 in 14 games. Here's the scouting report posted before the last draft.
Quote:
Laleggia has quietly developed into one of the three or four most offensively-skilled draft-eligible defensemen in North America. Very smooth skating stride, a cannon of a shot from the point (especially for a guy his size), and he got a bunch of his assists on goals scored off of rebounds he created with that wicked shot. A puck-rusher – which are few and far between in this draft – Laleggia distributes the puck really well and excels at sneaking into the slot undetected and setting himself up for the one-timer. It’s also hard to describe him as an offensive defenseman because Laleggia was Penticton’s shutdown D for two seasons, and played on the first pairing at even strength, on the PP and on the PK. Excellent gap control, very good lateral mobility, very solid backskater and uses his excellent hockey sense to break up passing lanes and create turnovers. Very popular with his teammates and in the community. He’s not big, he’s not physical and he played in the BCHL. Projects as a 2nd pairing D and PP QB at the NHL level, though he could very well be more than that. Headed to Denver University this fall. http://bluechipbulletin.com/?tag=joey-laleggia
Joakim Ryan - is another small PMD that was passed over due to his size, a weak shot, and issues with consistency. He didn't finish last season as well as some expected. But the upside is still there. He's had a strong start to his freshman season at Cornell. But here is a scouting report on him from last season:

Quote:
Ryan displays tons of high-end offensive talent. He’s a good skater who doesn’t slow down when he has the puck and attacks the blue line with speed. He has good vision and instincts to anticipate the open lanes to enter the offensive zone. Ryan passes well and has the creativity to open up the ice for his teammates. Defensively, Ryan seems to know the game and also plays with an edge usually seen by bigger players. There is enough upside to excite you but he has to be more consistent. http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsr...skaters-76100/
Kevin Tansey - is a big (6'3") shut down D man, who is said to be pretty mobile. He has only one minus game in his freshman season. He is known for big hits and solid defensive play. Willing to stand up for his team-mates. Would be a guy to keep an eye on for a late pick or perhaps a FA signing in the future.

Konstantin Komarek - was a guy mentioned in our last draft thread by a few posters, so i've tried to keep tabs on him this year. Skating a regular shift with Lulea and is 2-3-5 in 23 games. I know its not a thrilling post draft statline, but Rodin didn't have a very memorable one either. Seems like a guy who could be a solid bottom 6 addition.
Quote:
He isn't the biggest guy, but skates very well. He has above average speed, good hands and a quick shot. He also loves to play physical. He often initiates contact, even when carrying the puck.
More: http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/6/24...ct-oilers-pick

Anton Zlobin - an average sized russian that was passed over, but is having a great post draft season start. Here's the report from last season:
Quote:
Anton Zlobin, LW Shawinigan (QMJHL)- Highly skilled Russian didn't get a ton of press playing for the Cataractes, but showed off some interesting long-term potential as a goal scorer. Superb hands, shot and offensive instincts. A human highlight reel, and when he gets it revved up with some open ice to work with, watch out. Finished the season with 23 goals and 45 points in 59 games. He took some adjustment time and also had some injury issues- he's very average sized at about 6-0, 170 pounds. But as far as talent and upside go, he's flying under the radar in the Quebec League class.

Old
12-16-2011, 03:28 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Can we sticky this mods? Would be ideal

Old
12-16-2011, 09:51 PM
arsmaster

Guelph D, Matt Finn is having a helluva game tonight on Sportsnet against the #1 ranked team in the CHL.

Reminds me of Leaf 1st rounder from 2011, Stuart Percy...similar steady games, pretty sure he is up over 32 minutes TOI.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:33 PM
xtra

I will be honest guys but i would really like us to avoid any guys that are under 6 feet. i feel that picks like schroder who is so small are extremely bad espically in the first round because he is either top6 or bust whereas a guy like carter ashton has potential to play in the bottom 6 just due to the size difference.

And that applies espically to defensemen, i think size is a huge requirement unless there is someone ridiculously skilled the point of it being a no brainer where we are drafting makes it apparent we need picks to work out

Old
12-17-2011, 02:38 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra View Post
I will be honest guys but i would really like us to avoid any guys that are under 6 feet. i feel that picks like schroder who is so small are extremely bad espically in the first round because he is either top6 or bust whereas a guy like carter ashton has potential to play in the bottom 6 just due to the size difference.

And that applies espically to defensemen, i think size is a huge requirement unless there is someone ridiculously skilled the point of it being a no brainer where we are drafting makes it apparent we need picks to work out
There is a pretty big difference between 5'11" and 5'8". I have no problem drafting skill, we can afford to keep building the depth in our system. There are a lot of elite NHLers under 6'0".

Our team is good enough now, and a good enough draw for Free Agents, that we can *insert cliche* "develop them like Detroit".

I would prefer to draft based on Hockey Sense, skill, and character (compete level, stand up guy)...size and speed are things that are nice, but if you have the first 3, you have a hockey player.

I also think skating ability is better to have than speed.

That said if a 6'4" 220lbs player had the exact same skillset as a 5'10" 180lbs, I'd take the bigger guy, as long as he has good hockey sense, skill and can skate (this does not mean speed).

Old
12-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Ched Brosky

hoping Canucks can pick up former Canuck Paul Reinhart's son Griffin in the 1st round, he's been falling because his play declined after coming back from an injury but ts starting to get back to what it used to be before the injury that made him seem like a top 5-10 pick.

Reinhart could possibly be available after 16 but hopefully he`s available at 30 Definately want a d-man in that 1st round

Old
12-17-2011, 09:47 PM
timw33

If we get a chance to get Weber would happily give up the 1st and 2nd this year in the package.

The timing would be right, push with the window open.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:53 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
If we get a chance to get Weber would happily give up the 1st and 2nd this year in the package.

The timing would be right, push with the window open.
With what else?

I would too.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:59 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
With what else?

I would too.
Probably at least two other pieces (Tanev, Hodgson, Shroeder, Raymond even). Really depends on what they want to get back.

But it's the sort of move that looks necessary as this team would be so much better with a 6'3 220 pound RH Norris calibre Dman who can play 30 minutes a night easily.

Old
12-17-2011, 10:05 PM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
hoping Canucks can pick up former Canuck Paul Reinhart's son Griffin in the 1st round, he's been falling because his play declined after coming back from an injury but ts starting to get back to what it used to be before the injury that made him seem like a top 5-10 pick.

Reinhart could possibly be available after 16 but hopefully he`s available at 30 Definately want a d-man in that 1st round
Not. Going. To. Happen.

Stop dreaming. If a heavily, heavily scouted prospect like Reinhart drops into our laps in today's draft, and it's at 30, it's about 95% chance that there must be some SERIOUS issues going on.

Old
12-17-2011, 10:09 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
Not. Going. To. Happen.

Stop dreaming. If a heavily, heavily scouted prospect like Reinhart drops into our laps in today's draft, and it's at 30, it's about 95% chance that there must be some SERIOUS issues going on.
One only need look back at one draft to find a player who was a consensus top 5, who was drafted at 31...with nothing really wrong with the player.

That player was David Musil, his top end ceiling was questioned, but he still has the ability to be top pair shut down defensman....

....the same could be said of Reinhart, I dont think his offense projects as well as I did last year, could be a case of injury.

I'd gladly give up the picks this year, in a defense first draft if Weber is available through trade.

Old
01-02-2012, 03:51 AM
duplo

So this really interesting article came out from Edmonton about scouting the World Juniors with lots of tidbits from Thomas Gradin.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-of-the-trade/

In the article, it actually mentions that Gradin's looking at Konsta Makinen from Finland:

Quote:
While scouts often attend games to watch specific players, it’s also important for them to keep their eyes wide open for other positive performances. Take Wednesday’s Finland vs. USA game, for example, when Finnish defender Konsta Makinen caught Gradin’s eye with a couple slick offensive moves.
Does anybody know about this kid? Seen him play? I checked the Finland WJ topic on the main boards and most people agreed that he was one of the top 3 on their team. I checked a mock draft as recent as a few days ago and no one's really talking about him. Does anyone know what round this guy would project to go at?

Closed Thread