HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

11/28/11 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Minnesota

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2011, 08:55 PM
  #76
zeykshade
Registered User
 
zeykshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Thank you very much Brewer for killing the momentum in this game and potentially killing any momentum the team was building by winning games.

zeykshade is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 08:55 PM
  #77
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome
 
MeowLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baconland
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,781
vCash: 500
Mikko Koivu scores for his 100th goal and now it's 3-1. Game over

MeowLeafs is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 08:55 PM
  #78
newham89
Registered User
 
newham89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nottingham, UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 500
ah, ****'s sake. Didn't deserve this loss

newham89 is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 08:56 PM
  #79
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF
 
dbieon12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
What a pathetic last two minutes. The team was horrible. The Wild turned up the intensity as if they weren't even trying in the first few periods and we couldn't regain control of the puck for more than 3 seconds.

Even with an empty net/extra man.

dbieon12 is online now  
Old
11-28-2011, 08:57 PM
  #80
zeykshade
Registered User
 
zeykshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
I'd like to know why the Bolts get so much flack for playing the 1-3-1 sometimes. The entire back half of that game was the Wild playing **** trap hockey and dumping the puck in from center every chance they got. Wonder why the Bolts catch so much **** from the media and the Wild do not.

zeykshade is offline  
Old
11-28-2011, 09:20 PM
  #81
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,512
vCash: 500
They played well enough to win. Two mistakes end up in the back of the net and Backstrom played out of his mind making some incredible saves and getting a little lucky.

Move on to Detroit and look to pick up the 2 points there. Nothing to really be ashamed about tonight. The boys played hard and looked great for the most part.

IdealisticSniper is online now  
Old
11-29-2011, 12:43 AM
  #82
LightningStrikes
Moderator
He is back
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Great game by Stammer!

LightningStrikes is online now  
Old
11-29-2011, 03:43 AM
  #83
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Maelmoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,491
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
They played well enough to win. Two mistakes end up in the back of the net and Backstrom played out of his mind making some incredible saves and getting a little lucky.

Move on to Detroit and look to pick up the 2 points there. Nothing to really be ashamed about tonight. The boys played hard and looked great for the most part.
Yeah the effort was there, if they keep playing like this the points will come.

__________________
Todd Harvey, Adam Oates and Darren Puppa, you are all missed in the game of hockey!
Maelmoor is offline  
Old
11-29-2011, 04:58 AM
  #84
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 12,580
vCash: 500
Minny had more reason to win the game than we did.

It was probably a mistake to pull the goalie, as I think Minnesota saw that they could get into 1st with essentially a free goal.

If I were Yeo, I would have anticipated that move and had a highly motivated group of players ready to do my bidding.



Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-29-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Felonious Python is offline  
Old
11-29-2011, 08:05 AM
  #85
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 19,782
vCash: 500
Boy the wheels came off this one quickly.

Still All In is offline  
Old
11-29-2011, 08:21 AM
  #86
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 12,580
vCash: 500
What the defensemen need to work on, if they aren't already, is making those long passes up to the forwards, often through traffic. I'm not crazy about the whole cherry picking thing, but it will get the other team's forecheck all over the place. The response from them should be to fall back into the neutral zone and plug it up there, but that's why they need to practice making the long passes with lots of traffic, quickly, so they can't really get a chance to get setup in the NZ. The other option for them is to go the other way, and play very aggressively on the forecheck, which leads them to not be as able to cover the streaking forward(s).

Breaking out of the zone can be literally impossible to stop if one team has enough of a speed and structure advantage.

(I'd also take an offside over getting an icing call, should the pass fail to be received, and icing is not waived off)

Brewer might be the best passer on the team, but he gets it that way by slowing everything down and biding his time. He's taking the time to do it right, but he's got it, and now needs to speed that up.

Or, at the very least, start carrying it through the neutral zone himself.

Same thing with Ohlund when he returns.


Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-29-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Felonious Python is offline  
Old
11-29-2011, 11:11 AM
  #87
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 12,580
vCash: 500
Relevant since this game was on Versus.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...rsy-on/1203888

Interesting little note at the bottom.
Quote:
Scouts from 14 teams were at the (TBvMIN) game.
Maybe that's a **** load of scouts that seem to be watching our team, but maybe it's that a lot of NHL teams have scouts that live in the greater Twin Cities area since Minnesota produces more NHLers than any other state? 2+2


Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-29-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Felonious Python is offline  
Old
11-29-2011, 11:21 AM
  #88
StammerHed2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: orlando
Country: United States
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
What the defensemen need to work on, if they aren't already, is making those long passes up to the forwards, often through traffic. I'm not crazy about the whole cherry picking thing, but it will get the other team's forecheck all over the place. The response from them should be to fall back into the neutral zone and plug it up there, but that's why they need to practice making the long passes with lots of traffic, quickly, so they can't really get a chance to get setup in the NZ. The other option for them is to go the other way, and play very aggressively on the forecheck, which leads them to not be as able to cover the streaking forward(s).

Breaking out of the zone can be literally impossible to stop if one team has enough of a speed and structure advantage.

(I'd also take an offside over getting an icing call, should the pass fail to be received, and icing is not waived off)

Brewer might be the best passer on the team, but he gets it that way by slowing everything down and biding his time. He's taking the time to do it right, but he's got it, and now needs to speed that up.

Or, at the very least, start carrying it through the neutral zone himself.

Same thing with Ohlund when he returns.

Hedmans outlet passes were actually one of the things I was going to say were a positive last night. He really helped get them moving out of our zone and broke their forecheck.

BTW, can we give the captain a little bit of credit? IMO he's been the best player on the ice in the majority of our games this season. He makes a move and it actually looks like it might work......which is a major step forward from the past few years.

StammerHed2010 is offline  
Old
11-29-2011, 11:32 AM
  #89
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 12,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StammerHed2010 View Post
Hedmans outlet passes were actually one of the things I was going to say were a positive last night. He really helped get them moving out of our zone and broke their forecheck.

BTW, can we give the captain a little bit of credit? IMO he's been the best player on the ice in the majority of our games this season. He makes a move and it actually looks like it might work......which is a major step forward from the past few years.
Right, no criticism towards Hedman. I didn't explicitly mention him, but all the defensemen should be working on it still.

Felonious Python is offline  
Old
11-29-2011, 04:23 PM
  #90
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 12,580
vCash: 500
Howard v Roloson confirmed for tomorrow. Downie will also return to the lineup.

https://twitter.com/#!/LightningTime...09258532872192

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....en_has_ma.html

Felonious Python is offline  
Old
11-29-2011, 06:14 PM
  #91
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
I'd like to know why the Bolts get so much flack for playing the 1-3-1 sometimes. The entire back half of that game was the Wild playing **** trap hockey and dumping the puck in from center every chance they got. Wonder why the Bolts catch so much **** from the media and the Wild do not.
Umm, I don't know about you but this is from the last 4-5 days:

From SI:
Quote:
Let's make one thing perfectly clear: these guys aren't this good. They're going to slip at some point. But they did enter Monday with the NHL's best record, so we'll give them some time to enjoy it while it lasts. They're still deadly dull to watch many nights. Witness their 1-0 win over Colorado last week. I'm only sorry I can't get back those two-and-a half hours I spent witnessing it. But goalie Nik Backstrom is having a tremendous bounce-back season. When Mikko Koivu gets going, maybe these guys will stick around.
The Edmonton Sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonSun
The Wild are horrible to watch, bad for the game, but they’re also a disciplined lot that sits back in a passive 1-4 forecheck and frustrates opponents into mistakes — the kind of strategy that gives a young, impatient team like Edmonton the most trouble.
Nucks Misconduct

Quote:
Minnesota's PDO with the score-tied is still pretty high, while Edmonton's has come back down to earth. With the score-tied, Minnesota are getting better-than-Tim-Thomas-last-year goaltending, which isn't likely to continue. Clutch? No. Lucky? Yes. Here is Niklas Backstrom's save percentage at even strength since he became the starting goalie: .925 - .923 - .912 - .928 - .953. The last one is from this season.

By the pure FenTied measure, Vancouver should be a much better team. So why aren't they? Check that PDO, still the lowest in the division. The Canucks, unlike the Wild, cannot buy a save at even strength this season. Is that goaltender ability or luck? Well, I'm more ripe to make judgment on the Canucks goalies looking at a bigger sample size than a smaller one, and we can find those numbers from last season:
And I'm missing a few more. So no, the media is not singling you out.

However I did really enjoy the game between both teams last night.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 07:52 PM
  #92
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 12,580
vCash: 500
SI article about Yeo's system and this game.

http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2011/11/...sct=nhl_bf2_a4

interesting note at the end.

Quote:
The veteran of a four-year stint with Tampa Bay, Lundin figured he’d play more minutes for the team in his home state and took less to sign with the Wild as a free agent last summer.

Felonious Python is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.