HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

11/28/11 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Minnesota

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2011, 08:55 PM
zeykshade

vCash: 500
Thank you very much Brewer for killing the momentum in this game and potentially killing any momentum the team was building by winning games.

Old
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Mikko Koivu scores for his 100th goal and now it's 3-1. Game over

Old
newham89

ah, ****'s sake. Didn't deserve this loss

Old
11-28-2011, 08:56 PM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

What a pathetic last two minutes. The team was horrible. The Wild turned up the intensity as if they weren't even trying in the first few periods and we couldn't regain control of the puck for more than 3 seconds.

Even with an empty net/extra man.

Old
11-28-2011, 08:57 PM
zeykshade

I'd like to know why the Bolts get so much flack for playing the 1-3-1 sometimes. The entire back half of that game was the Wild playing **** trap hockey and dumping the puck in from center every chance they got. Wonder why the Bolts catch so much **** from the media and the Wild do not.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:20 PM
IdealisticSniper

They played well enough to win. Two mistakes end up in the back of the net and Backstrom played out of his mind making some incredible saves and getting a little lucky.

Move on to Detroit and look to pick up the 2 points there. Nothing to really be ashamed about tonight. The boys played hard and looked great for the most part.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:43 AM
LightningStrikes
He is back

Great game by Stammer!

Old
11-29-2011, 03:43 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
They played well enough to win. Two mistakes end up in the back of the net and Backstrom played out of his mind making some incredible saves and getting a little lucky.

Move on to Detroit and look to pick up the 2 points there. Nothing to really be ashamed about tonight. The boys played hard and looked great for the most part.
Yeah the effort was there, if they keep playing like this the points will come.

11-29-2011, 04:58 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Minny had more reason to win the game than we did.

It was probably a mistake to pull the goalie, as I think Minnesota saw that they could get into 1st with essentially a free goal.

If I were Yeo, I would have anticipated that move and had a highly motivated group of players ready to do my bidding.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-29-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old
11-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Boy the wheels came off this one quickly.

Old
11-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

What the defensemen need to work on, if they aren't already, is making those long passes up to the forwards, often through traffic. I'm not crazy about the whole cherry picking thing, but it will get the other team's forecheck all over the place. The response from them should be to fall back into the neutral zone and plug it up there, but that's why they need to practice making the long passes with lots of traffic, quickly, so they can't really get a chance to get setup in the NZ. The other option for them is to go the other way, and play very aggressively on the forecheck, which leads them to not be as able to cover the streaking forward(s).

Breaking out of the zone can be literally impossible to stop if one team has enough of a speed and structure advantage.

(I'd also take an offside over getting an icing call, should the pass fail to be received, and icing is not waived off)

Brewer might be the best passer on the team, but he gets it that way by slowing everything down and biding his time. He's taking the time to do it right, but he's got it, and now needs to speed that up.

Or, at the very least, start carrying it through the neutral zone himself.

Same thing with Ohlund when he returns.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-29-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old
11-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Relevant since this game was on Versus.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...rsy-on/1203888

Interesting little note at the bottom.
Quote:
Scouts from 14 teams were at the (TBvMIN) game.
Maybe that's a **** load of scouts that seem to be watching our team, but maybe it's that a lot of NHL teams have scouts that live in the greater Twin Cities area since Minnesota produces more NHLers than any other state? 2+2

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-29-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old
11-29-2011, 11:21 AM
StammerHed2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
What the defensemen need to work on, if they aren't already, is making those long passes up to the forwards, often through traffic. I'm not crazy about the whole cherry picking thing, but it will get the other team's forecheck all over the place. The response from them should be to fall back into the neutral zone and plug it up there, but that's why they need to practice making the long passes with lots of traffic, quickly, so they can't really get a chance to get setup in the NZ. The other option for them is to go the other way, and play very aggressively on the forecheck, which leads them to not be as able to cover the streaking forward(s).

Breaking out of the zone can be literally impossible to stop if one team has enough of a speed and structure advantage.

(I'd also take an offside over getting an icing call, should the pass fail to be received, and icing is not waived off)

Brewer might be the best passer on the team, but he gets it that way by slowing everything down and biding his time. He's taking the time to do it right, but he's got it, and now needs to speed that up.

Or, at the very least, start carrying it through the neutral zone himself.

Same thing with Ohlund when he returns.

Hedmans outlet passes were actually one of the things I was going to say were a positive last night. He really helped get them moving out of our zone and broke their forecheck.

BTW, can we give the captain a little bit of credit? IMO he's been the best player on the ice in the majority of our games this season. He makes a move and it actually looks like it might work......which is a major step forward from the past few years.

Old
11-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StammerHed2010 View Post
Hedmans outlet passes were actually one of the things I was going to say were a positive last night. He really helped get them moving out of our zone and broke their forecheck.

BTW, can we give the captain a little bit of credit? IMO he's been the best player on the ice in the majority of our games this season. He makes a move and it actually looks like it might work......which is a major step forward from the past few years.
Right, no criticism towards Hedman. I didn't explicitly mention him, but all the defensemen should be working on it still.

Old
11-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Howard v Roloson confirmed for tomorrow. Downie will also return to the lineup.

https://twitter.com/#!/LightningTime...09258532872192

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....en_has_ma.html

Old
11-29-2011, 06:14 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
I'd like to know why the Bolts get so much flack for playing the 1-3-1 sometimes. The entire back half of that game was the Wild playing **** trap hockey and dumping the puck in from center every chance they got. Wonder why the Bolts catch so much **** from the media and the Wild do not.
Umm, I don't know about you but this is from the last 4-5 days:

From SI:
Quote:
Let's make one thing perfectly clear: these guys aren't this good. They're going to slip at some point. But they did enter Monday with the NHL's best record, so we'll give them some time to enjoy it while it lasts. They're still deadly dull to watch many nights. Witness their 1-0 win over Colorado last week. I'm only sorry I can't get back those two-and-a half hours I spent witnessing it. But goalie Nik Backstrom is having a tremendous bounce-back season. When Mikko Koivu gets going, maybe these guys will stick around.
The Edmonton Sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonSun
The Wild are horrible to watch, bad for the game, but they’re also a disciplined lot that sits back in a passive 1-4 forecheck and frustrates opponents into mistakes — the kind of strategy that gives a young, impatient team like Edmonton the most trouble.
Nucks Misconduct

Quote:
Minnesota's PDO with the score-tied is still pretty high, while Edmonton's has come back down to earth. With the score-tied, Minnesota are getting better-than-Tim-Thomas-last-year goaltending, which isn't likely to continue. Clutch? No. Lucky? Yes. Here is Niklas Backstrom's save percentage at even strength since he became the starting goalie: .925 - .923 - .912 - .928 - .953. The last one is from this season.

By the pure FenTied measure, Vancouver should be a much better team. So why aren't they? Check that PDO, still the lowest in the division. The Canucks, unlike the Wild, cannot buy a save at even strength this season. Is that goaltender ability or luck? Well, I'm more ripe to make judgment on the Canucks goalies looking at a bigger sample size than a smaller one, and we can find those numbers from last season:
And I'm missing a few more. So no, the media is not singling you out.

However I did really enjoy the game between both teams last night.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
12-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

SI article about Yeo's system and this game.

http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2011/11/...sct=nhl_bf2_a4

interesting note at the end.

Quote:
The veteran of a four-year stint with Tampa Bay, Lundin figured he’d play more minutes for the team in his home state and took less to sign with the Wild as a free agent last summer.

Closed Thread