HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Mike Green the Most Valuable Player The Caps Have

Old
11-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Jasper17

vCash: 500
Is Mike Green the Most Valuable Player The Caps Have

I know this guy gets some stick from Caps fans who feel he is not good enough defensively. But the dramatic difference between the amount of goals per game and PP effectiveness when Green is playing (and playing well) vs. when he is out of the lineup or not playing well is shocking.

From 2007-2010 the Washington Capitals had one of, if not the best offense in the NHL. In those years Green averaged...

Averaged 75 Games Played
Averaged 68 Points per year

2007-2010 Caps offense...

3.2 goals per game (3.6 from 08/10)
22% PP (25% from 08/10)

2010-2011 Mike Green misses half the year, the other half didn't play very well. Look at the Caps team totals without him healthy.

Caps score 2.65 goals per game and 17% on the PP.

Maybe this is a coincidence. But let’s look at this year for example. Mike Green is healthy and playing well the first 7 games of this year (6 points). The Caps score 30 goals (over 4 per game) in those 7 games and there PP % is around 25%. The next 11 games the Caps score 28 goals (2.5 per game) and the PP struggles (don't have the stats, but we aren't good right now).

We can even look at the Caps playoff history.

07/08 Caps play well in 7 game loss to Flyers - Green has 7 points in 7 games
08/09 Caps play well in both series, besting the Rangers and losing to Pens in 7 games each - Green has 9 points in 14 games.
09/10 Caps lose to Habs - Green plays terribly. Has 3 points, no goals, in 7 games and Caps fail to score single PP goal.
10/11 Caps play well against Rangers - Green has 5 points in 5 games. Caps play terribly against the Lightening - Green has 1 point in 3 games.

Maybe I have things backwards and its Green who only puts up numbers when the Caps are going well. But I think Mike Green changes this team more than any other player we have. And based on the stats, you could make a case Green is the most valuable offensive player on the Caps.

The fact is when Mike Green is healthy and playing well the Caps are an elite offensive team. When he is not playing/not playing well we are an average offensive team.

p.s. Sorry for the long post. But I keep hearing people say we need to trade this guy and I got annoyed.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

backstrom. without him:

1C mojo
2C laich?
3C halpern
4C uhhh MP?

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 09:07 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
backstrom. without him:

1C mojo
2C laich?
3C halpern
4C uhhh MP?

Seriously?

Backstrom has been playing 2nd line with Semin in the last while.
Meanwhile, MoJo, playing with AO, scored a meagre 1 point in the last 5 games.

Personally I would see:
Backstrom
MoJo(???)
MP
Halpern.....who has been a career 4th line centerman for a reason.

Eakin, as far as I looked at him, is more a winger than a centerman.

Your best choice for a #2 centerman down the road could be Kuznetzov, but it is far from guaranteed.

Obviously MoJo is sound defensively but is not ready to center AO or a 1st line.

How about Krejci

for

Laich,MP and 1st round pick?

If you think you got a contender on your hands this season, unless major moves, think again.....

And....It is not BB's fault if things are sinking down; instead look at your country boys club.....

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 685
Why trade laich? Him and chimmer/ward are the only ones with any heart every shift IMO.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:10 AM
txpd

green is a big part of the team. he is the launch gear for the power play which is lost without him. it shows the difference between what he brings and what wideman or carlson bring. with green in the lineup wideman and carlson are impact players. without him, neither can carry his load and succede on their own.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:17 AM
ShutoutJunkie

Mike Green is the personification of the Capitals offensively focused style of play. When he is on the ice he is an offensive threat and a defensive liability, but without him the Caps powerplay is very predictable. He's been pretty bad in the playoffs too, but that could be applied to pretty much all of the Caps key players.

ShutoutJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Clearly one of the more important players. Everything (usually) seems to work better with him on the ice.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:51 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
No, it's probably still Ovechkin.

But on defense yes he is our MVP. Guys like Orlov and Carlson may have a say in how dependent we are on him going forward though. I hope Bruce keeps using them in Green type situations so we can win a frigging game when Green is injured. One high skill guy going down will have a profound effect on a team when there is minimal team play, unless the guys behind him are ready and tested in his role. Thats the problem with Bruce's "system"... injuries to Green and Semin, maybe Nick last year, have killed us in the playoffs. Letting no other D man get PP time when Green was healthy, hurts, when he cant shoot all of a sudden.

I do not consider Green a defensive liability. Focusing on defense, he did fine last year. I wish he would focus more on ES offense, who gives a rats ass if he is called the proverbial 4th forward. We need offense from him.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Dirtbag59

If the Pens can win without Crosby and Malkin we can certainly win without Green. Though I will admit I'm starting to miss his ability to make plays on the back end.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 05:19 PM
IafrateOvie34

Green is no doubt important to our offense and PP, so he is pretty close. I would say Backstrom is our most important player because he is a center. Backstrom can prove he can step up when other players are out. I think back to when Ovy was suspended a few years ago. Just forget about last years playoffs and most of last year though . Green at this point is looking like Pat Peake. A skilled player who just keeps having bad injury issues after another.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:05 PM
ryerockarola

I agree that Green is a big part of the team, they usually seem to play better all-around when he's in. When is he coming back?

ryerockarola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Smart Alek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
Maybe I have things backwards and its Green who only puts up numbers when the Caps are going well. But I think Mike Green changes this team more than any other player we have.
I wish that I could say I've seen enough Capitals games recently to allow me to greatly benefit this discussion, as it is one of the questions I've most pondered these last few seasons. That said, I have seen approximately a quarter of all Washington games since Alexander Semin first gained a roster spot, and it's my feeling that Green's contributions are as much mental as physical. When he's manning the point on the power play, it seems to me as though the entire team plays with far more confidence, and are more likely to slow things down and less likely to attempt to 'do it all themselves'. Until the recent injury that led to his controversial brain transplant, I would have said the same about Ovechkin.

My main impetus for posting, though, was that I wanted to give you some kudos for the well reasoned & logical manner in which you made your case, and your ability to place your ego on the back-burner and look at the question from multiple perspectives. Unfortunately, it's not something one sees a great deal of when discussing sports, and I feel it should be applauded.

Smart Alek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:13 PM
hockeyfan274
Rookie User

Our defense, PP and PK alike are shallow wothout him. Which should scare people. Not even necissarily at the present, but in terms of the Playoffs. Green really makes the Caps elite, as you said, if we lose him for the Playoffs, again, we won't be a serious threat at all! (of course, it's still dependent on a few other factors, but I won't get into that). I think we need to find away to cultivate more depth or get it, because it's not working for them. I'd also love to know where Hamrlick's been all season, because the guy wearing #44 sure isn't the guy we supposedly signed...

hockeyfan274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:16 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan274 View Post
Our defense, PP and PK alike are shallow wothout him. Which should scare people. Not even necissarily at the present, but in terms of the Playoffs. Green really makes the Caps elite, as you said, if we lose him for the Playoffs, again, we won't be a serious threat at all! (of course, it's still dependent on a few other factors, but I won't get into that). I think we need to find away to cultivate more depth or get it, because it's not working for them. I'd also love to know where Hamrlick's been all season, because the guy wearing #44 sure isn't the guy we supposedly signed...
He's been doing charity work down on the ice giving away goals.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:40 PM
hockeyfan274
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
He's been doing charity work down on the ice giving away goals.
haha that's the truth! He should have been sent to the press box more frequently, he's not doing his job, even as an offensive minded D. Bruce has been giving him way to many chances, I'd rather see Laich play D than him.

hockeyfan274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:16 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Soooo... when's he coming back?

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:32 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Soooo... when's he coming back?
He skated yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks. It's a start, but i'd assume he's out indefinitely.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:37 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
He skated yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks. It's a start, but i'd assume he's out indefinitely.
Actually, he's skated three times including today. Still no timetable for his return, but he's working out on the ice consistently now.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote