HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gm #24 Kings v. Sharks, 11/28/11 - Post Game WIN, Thoughts & Tidbits

Old
11-29-2011, 05:30 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Uh oh, TM says Hunter played well. Wow, where is everyone? Oh yeah, they won so the usual suspects went to bed.
Actually, I just got home after being called out on an emergency repair and didn't get to see the game. I recorded it and plan to watch in the morning

Last edited by PSP: 11-29-2011 at 05:38 AM.
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:27 AM
markisonfire

Good game, but damn, we need to do something about that third line. Here is my suggestion:

Penner - Kopitar - Brown
Gagne - Richards - Stoll
Richardson - Loktionov - Williams
Moreau - Fraser - Westgarth

I'm not sure about it, actually. Part of me wants to see this:

Loktionov - Kopitar - Brown
Gagne - Richards - Williams
Richardson - Stoll - Lewis
Moreau - Fraser - Westgarth

I really don't know. I like our bottom line though!

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:18 AM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Seed

"Perhaps a touch arrogant after his fourth shutout of the year, Jonathan Quick knights himself."

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Chazz Reinhold

That third period was waaaaaay too nerve-wracking.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:58 AM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Seed

I only now realized nhl.com highlights on the home page have a tiny little arrow to the right of the first 5 videos where you can see more highlight vids.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Happy B Puck.

Quick is quick.

Kopi is Thornton's worst enemy, well done Kopi.

Toronto is #&%???!## piece of #$.

We were lucky in the end but some of those calls were ridiculous.

Next game

BTW Bob was more confused in this game then I've ever heard him before. still love him
I noticed this too but hey that's why we love Bob right?

But that was the most entertaining game I got to watch since the 1-0 Dallas win. It should definitely boost our confidence, I think we will have a very good home stand.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:15 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

This team confuses the frak out of me - that's what I've got after this game. I'm very glad to have the win - a loss could likely have initiated some more of a performance spiral... but I'm not yet ready to say the team is fully back "on track". Get back to me at the end of the homestand and we'll re-evaluate whether this was a turning point towards that elusive "elite" status, or just yet another frustrating game that shows the potential that the team has problems consistently achieving.

HansH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:50 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Kind of glad the Kings didn't get that 3rd goal in the empty net. I don't have to see the usual crap about their record when scoring 3 goals.

News flash - every team in the NHL has a high winning percentage when they score 3 or more.
Quote:
No, it's stupid to harp on it like it isn't true for every team.
Those of us who harp on it, mainly me and Sydor, don't care about other teams. We care about the Kings. You score 3 goals, you win a large number of your games, it's simple statistical analysis. Everyone on these boards points out what they feel is the flaw with the Kings, and we feel it's a lack of goal production (largely from the lower lines, thank you tonight Mr. Moreau for alleviating that). We shouldn't speak about what we feel ills the Kings and how we feel the current system in place prevents that problem from being properly fixed? Good luck with that.

Funny how you state that every team with 3 or more goals has a high winning percentage, but at the same time we shouldn't harp on it. You'd think all fans would harp on it, as would DL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4reals View Post
Dang this win only means we might get to see more of Hunter and Moreau.
If they play like they did last night, I'm ok with that. Penner's back soon though, so you have to figure one of them is likely heading out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
My Saints won, my Kings won and my fantasy football team won! Life's GOOOOD
Mike Richards = Drew Brees? I think Brees finally beats Marino's record this year, which sucks a bit because Dan's my all-time fav. NFLer even though I'm a huge Brees fan from his days in San Diego.

Quote:
Kings are now 3 points out of 1st in the Western Conference and 2 points ahead of 11th place Edmonton with the same number of games played as the Hawks and Oilers. According to some around here that makes the top 11 teams in the West mediocre, right?
Wouldn't know. Oddly, they haven't shown up to give their usual dose of cheerful, sunny optimism they dispense under the cloak of "reality." Funny how that happens when LA wins.

Quote:
Like most NHL teams when the Kings' best players are the best players on the ice the result is a win. Need to get Kopitar going now at the same time as Richards. The 4th line seems to have found itself. I see no reason to tweak that now.

I would like to see Richardson or Lewis get back in the lineup alongside Loktionov.
I think it's time to cut bait with at least one of Richardson or Lewis. They are redundant, keep one, send out the other. Preferably send Richardson packing as he has the higher cap hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
Kings FTW!

Love this pic, lol True hockey smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
It's funny how some posters just disappear when the Kings win. We should have over/unders on how many posts psp is going to put up on this thread.
Apparently, the over/under is one. I say one more post yet, just to tell us that while the Kings did win, they weren't flawless, they won't always win if they play this way, they could do a lot better, and come the playoffs this effort won't hold up to get us to a cup. Not necessarily in that order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

Remember when we had this guy in goal?
I used to love that pic, it was my profile picture on some message boards and MSN for a long time.

Then we traded for him.

Now I'm not as big of a fan of that picture. Thank you Marc Crawford for selling DL on this guy being a starting goaltender still.

Btw, I'd also like to wish Puck U not only a very happy birthday, but also a speedy recovery from his cold. Try Buckley's. Tastes like feet, rotten tree bark and skunky beer that's been in the back of the fridge since 2001, but it works. Likely cause it kills anything it comes in contact with that's the size of a small rodent or less.

As for the game, great effort and of course Quick is just awesome. Richie is great and thank you to Moreau for the laughs, not only for scoring a goal (FGOTG no less) but for they great photo. Good stuff. Not many negatives to take from the game, and I won't even harp on about the less than 3 goals statistic this time. We had enough chances and shots to generate more than the two goals we scored, and we were playing tighter in the third as usual. Plus Brown's near goal.

Speaking of which, I haven't seen a replay of that yet, missed it last night. Is there a replay for Brown's no-goal yet?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:12 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Those of us who harp on it, mainly me and Sydor, don't care about other teams. We care about the Kings. You score 3 goals, you win a large number of your games, it's simple statistical analysis. Everyone on these boards points out what they feel is the flaw with the Kings, and we feel it's a lack of goal production (largely from the lower lines, thank you tonight Mr. Moreau for alleviating that). We shouldn't speak about what we feel ills the Kings and how we feel the current system in place prevents that problem from being properly fixed? Good luck with that.

Funny how you state that every team with 3 or more goals has a high winning percentage, but at the same time we shouldn't harp on it. You'd think all fans would harp on it, as would DL.
I am as frustrated with you guys at the lack of goal scoring, and if you and I are frustrated then I can only imagine how Dean feels. It is reasonable to assume that with only 5 or 6 more goals scored the Kings would be sitting atop the West right now. That isn't too much to expect from a combination of players that includes Penner, Stoll, Richardson and Lewis.

Things have a way of returning to their norm. The Kings will continue to play solid defense. Richards, Kopitar, Quick, Mitchell, and Scuderi will continue to produce at their norms. Hopefully guys like Doughty, Penner, Stoll, etc. will start producing at their norms soon. Meanwhile it's nice to know that even with their problems the Kings are only 3 points away from an elite team like Chicago. Cause after all they lost from their cup winning team, they are still elite, right Herby? Or are they merely good? Or are they mediocre like the Kings?

These are confusing times for some.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:16 AM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Seed

I'm starting to see glimmers of good signs on the scoring front.

5 on 5 goals - the Kings have been scoring more of them of late (which is timely considering the PP isn't producing).

Secondary scoring - it's actually scoring a goal here or there, which is what it should be doing.

I'm HOPING all of our scoring elements will start to stabilize and produce on a more consistent basis, but there are good signs in these games.

Old
11-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I'm starting to see glimmers of good signs on the scoring front.

5 on 5 goals - the Kings have been scoring more of them of late (which is timely considering the PP isn't producing).

Secondary scoring - it's actually scoring a goal here or there, which is what it should be doing.

I'm HOPING all of our scoring elements will start to stabilize and produce on a more consistent basis, but there are good signs in these games.
I enjoyed the win, but I'm still not ready to say I'm seeing any improvement. Quick still had to stand on his head to pull out the victory. Moreau's goal was a gift goal, and Richards goal came during 4 on 4 play. Even Brown's near goal in the 3rd was 4 on 4. I'm not seeing the improvement 5 on 5 even with the extra shots coming from everywhere.

Last 5 games the Kings have scored 9 goals, less than 2 a game. Richards, who I have a huge man crush on, has 4 of the 9 goals. Where would this team be without this guy?

Maybe it's just me, but for as much as Fox was saying the Kings were controlling tempo, the Sharks had a ton more scoring opportunities than the Kings did. It was just one of those nights where Quick decided 1 goal was going to be enough. If the Kings would get chances like the Sharks did on a consistant basis then I would definately be more excited than I currently am. I'm just not seeing it.

And I hope I'm wrong, but Kopi is appearing to go back into his typical 1/4 season slump. He starts off hot, then cools off for a few weeks. We need this guy to get back to doing what he was doing earlier in the season. Of course it's going to be harder for him considering his wingers....

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

So when do Herby and PSP invade this thread and tell us about what a bad hockey team we actually are?

Last night was a solid solid win.

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:37 AM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but for as much as Fox was saying the Kings were controlling tempo, the Sharks had a ton more scoring opportunities than the Kings did.
In the 3rd period, yes. In the first two, Cloutier could have been in the net. The Sharks didn't wake up until the 3rd.

You are right though, I should have said even strength scoring given that goals have come 4 on 4 as well as 5 on 5.

BTW... while I don't think the Hunter on the first line experiment will last long (hopefully not as long as him on the PP), I think it did his other two linemates a lot of good to have a lower-skill guy on the line who just kept firing the puck on net. It kills me when I see guys who can finish constantly pass the puck around to a guy who is lucky to pot 5 goals a year who then takes the initiative to shoot the puck. At some point it'll sink in that those guys need to be the ones shooting.

I was VERY happy to see Doughty taking more shots on net last night. Doughty, Johnson and Voynov need to be the ones shooting the puck - certainly more often than Mitchell, Greene or Scuderi. Early on in the season the skill guys not taking shots was an epidemic, and no doubt has contributed to the overall lack of scoring.

Also, I imagine Kopitar will see some time with a 2nd and 3rd line sometime soon per seasonal tradition. He's in his "lull" again.

One last note - the Kings own the Pacific. 6-1-2 is the best record in the division.

Dallas is 4-4-0
Phoenix is 5-2-2
San Jose is 3-4-0
Anaheim is god awful.

Last edited by TonySCV: 11-29-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old
11-29-2011, 10:50 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Kings are now 3 points out of 1st in the Western Conference and 2 points ahead of 11th place Edmonton with the same number of games played as the Hawks and Oilers. According to some around here that makes the top 11 teams in the West mediocre, right?
It doesn't make the top 11 teams in the conference medicore - it makes them all essentially equivalent. The 8 teams that have the fewest letdown games will make the playoffs. If the Kings play like they played last night, no one would be complaining - at least I wouldn't. We've seen how well that they can play - unfortunately that's been the exception so far this season. I really don't care who is out there so long as they get the job done. The players got it done last night - can they do it consistently? I guess we'll see soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Wouldn't know. Oddly, they haven't shown up to give their usual dose of cheerful, sunny optimism they dispense under the cloak of "reality." Funny how that happens when LA wins.
If you take a look at post #76, you'll see why I wasn't here last night.

This is one of the things about this team that is so frustrating. One night they can look world-class, then turn around and play like they are just learning to skate. They aren't as good as they play sometimes and they sure aren't as bad as they have stunk up the ice in other recent games. Why are the swings so dramatic?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
This team confuses the frak out of me - that's what I've got after this game. I'm very glad to have the win - a loss could likely have initiated some more of a performance spiral... but I'm not yet ready to say the team is fully back "on track". .
This. I am glad we got the win. Kings hustled all night. But I also have to call it like it is and say the Sharks played poorly (not being a downer, calling it like it is - you can't deny this).

I was pleasantly surprised by the 4th line. Those are some big bodies there that I am sure teams will not enjoy playing against. I don't know when we play Boston but I'd like to see that line back anytime we play a physical team.

Quick was ridiculous, but we've got to start playing Bernier more.

Also, I thank god yet again for Mike Richards

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:58 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
In the 3rd period, yes. In the first two, Cloutier could have been in the net. The Sharks didn't wake up until the 3rd.

You are right though, I should have said even strength scoring given that goals have come 4 on 4 as well as 5 on 5.

BTW... while I don't think the Hunter on the first line experiment will last long (hopefully not as long as him on the PP), I think it did his other two linemates a lot of good to have a lower-skill guy on the line who just kept firing the puck on net. It kills me when I see guys who can finish constantly pass the puck around to a guy who is lucky to pot 5 goals a year who then takes the initiative to shoot the puck. At some point it'll sink in that those guys need to be the ones shooting.

I was VERY happy to see Doughty taking more shots on net last night. Doughty, Johnson and Voynov need to be the ones shooting the puck - certainly more often than Mitchell, Greene or Scuderi. Early on in the season the skill guys not taking shots was an epidemic, and no doubt has contributed to the overall lack of scoring.

Also, I imagine Kopitar will see some time with a 2nd and 3rd line sometime soon per seasonal tradition. He's in his "lull" again.

One last note - the Kings own the Pacific. 6-1-2 is the best record in the division.

Dallas is 4-4-0
Phoenix is 5-2-2
San Jose is 3-4-0
Anaheim is god awful.
I went from smiling to burst out laughing loud. thanks

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:23 AM
DaAnimal

To be honest I was not very optimistic about the lineup last night. But I thought everyone played well. I thought our 3rd and 4th line did extremely well.

Fans got into the game 2nd and 3rd period. People were poised to win. Richards is simply amazing, I seriously hope he gets the November MVP.

Greene and JJ pairing scared me a bit but it didn't turn out that bad

Quick has been sensational. Leads the NHL in shutout

onto florida

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quick bailed us out. I really hate the "Shot mentality" tactic. It gets you nowhere unless your goalie is on God mode. All those shots, and only 2 goals. It's not like we outshot SJ, either.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:37 AM
DaAnimal

we outshot them on the 1st period 15-9 i believe. That was a great first period btw ^_^

Old
11-29-2011, 11:41 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

We looked better but there's still a lot of room for improvement. It's only our first game with the new lines, but for the most part, we looked pretty good. I especially liked Brownie on the LW. Too bad for Brownie, Toronto made a stupid call on his goal. I'm just glad that one bad call wasn't the difference maker.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Quick bailed us out. I really hate the "Shot mentality" tactic. It gets you nowhere unless your goalie is on God mode. All those shots, and only 2 goals. It's not like we outshot SJ, either.
SJ have the same mentality. You often see SJ get over 40 shots in games because they shoot all the time

Can't believe i fell asleep after the first period, damn 3.30 start times.

Watching the highlights, what was wrong the disallowed goal? It looked like Brown pulled VV's skate from under him causing the puck to go in more than a kicking motion

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:43 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
we outshot them on the 1st period 15-9 i believe. That was a great first period btw ^_^
This team needs to get more goals in the 1st period, no doubt.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:45 AM
DaAnimal

Quote:
This team needs to get more goals in the 1st period, no doubt.
agreed

Old
11-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Ollie Weeks

If Quick keeps this up he's got a strong shot at the Vezina.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Why is everyone patting each other on the back after another shutout win with only 2 goals scored? Yes, the team played well and SJ wasn't on top of their game, but only 2 goals were scored by the Kings. This actually lowered their GF/G.

Quick was the reason it didn't go to OT or a SO. A gift goal for Moreau and a goal between Gagne and Richards, players who have a strong history of playing well together getting their chance in game 24.

Let me know when the Kings don't rely on their goalie to win with only 2 goals scored, even though they scored 3 goals.

It was a huge win for the team, but nothing has been "fixed" by the line changes. The Kings were much more dangerous 4-on-4 than they were 5-on-5. Kings need to take more coincidental penalties.

Kings are now 1-14 on the PP and the PK has killed 18 straight. Talk about a reversal of October.

Richards has scored at least one goal in eight of his last 10 games, and has a total of 10 goals in those 10 games. The Kings have an 11-2-2 record when Richards records at least one point. Anyone still want Schenn and Simmonds back?

Trent Hunter and Jack Johnson each recorded a team-high four shots on goal. He must have given Murray a woody.

Do the Kings really win last night without Quick? Niemi lost the game for SJ and Quick won it for LA. I wouldn't call the offensive woes of the Kings fixed.

As for the third goal, I agree with Murray. If it was called a goal on the ice and the video was inconclusive, how do you overturn the call on the ice?

Quote:
MURRAY: “That call should have, in my opinion, gone the other way. It’s called a goal, on the ice, by the official, and the explanation then, to me, is that it was inconclusive on the video replay judge, as to whether it was kicked or a stick, so there’s no goal. But, actually, it is a goal by that explanation, because it has to be very conclusive that it is kicked. So, it should have been a goal.”
At least Greene wasn't as satisfied as the fans were:

Quote:
(on the second-period penalty kills…)
GREENE: “That was huge. You never want to give up a goal going into the third. We were good. I think we got some help off the goalpost, and Quickie was outstanding. He was unbelievable tonight. He definitely gave us more than a chance to win and definitely backstopped us.’’

(on the team’s attitude tonight…)
GREENE: “I think guys were playing hard. I think we could have a better third (period) though. We have to be better in the third. We can’t just get into a defensive shell. We have to keep doing what we’ve been doing in the first two periods, and stick with that.’’

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote