HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should MacIntyre get a start?

Old
11-28-2011, 08:06 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Should MacIntyre get a start?

Considering the following facts:

1) We don't know how long Miller will be out.

2) Enroth has been inconsistent lately (possibly could use a rest?)

3) We play back-to-back virtually every Friday/Saturday for the foreseeable future.

Should Drew MacIntyre get a start to rest Enroth, and if so when? The last thing we need to do is run Enroth into the ground. And in relief of Enroth the two games he was pulled, MacIntyre hasn't looked bad (granted, with the games out of reach, how much he was tested is up to debate).

I've seen some state the belief that Enroth is pretty much going to get every start until Miller is back, but I'm not sure that is wise. I'd like to see MacIntyre get a start soon (Tuesday against NYI may not be a bad matchup). A fresh Enroth may be a better Enroth.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:12 AM
OcAirlines

I think he should, but I'm pretty sure Lindy is willing to play Enroth every single game unless he finds out that Miller will be out for months, not weeks.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:15 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

It all depends on Miller's status.

- If he's going to be out for a couple months, then MacIntyre will have to get some starts.

- If he's going to be out for a couple weeks, you can probably ride Enroth straight through.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Considering the following facts:

1) We don't know how long Miller will be out.
Didn't you hear? He's requesting a trade. Jim Matheson is reporting that he's hearing he wouldn't mind a trade. Thus, you can take it to the bank that he wants out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
2) Enroth has been inconsistent lately (possibly could use a rest?)

3) We play back-to-back virtually every Friday/Saturday for the foreseeable future.

Should Drew MacIntyre get a start to rest Enroth, and if so when? The last thing we need to do is run Enroth into the ground. And in relief of Enroth the two games he was pulled, MacIntyre hasn't looked bad (granted, with the games out of reach, how much he was tested is up to debate).

I've seen some state the belief that Enroth is pretty much going to get every start until Miller is back, but I'm not sure that is wise. I'd like to see MacIntyre get a start soon (Tuesday against NYI may not be a bad matchup). A fresh Enroth may be a better Enroth.
Sure, why not? He was excellent in the AHL last season, and had seemingly turned a corner with two fantastic starts in Rochester just prior to his callup. Also, more importantly, they need to keep Enroth fresh. Jhonas has given up three or more goals in four of his last six starts, and has posted an .897 SV% since Miller went down. It's not as if he's playing lights out right now, and perhaps he needs a rest.

I'd start Enroth on Tuesday against a struggling Islanders team, and I'd likely give him the start against Detroit, as well. If Miller's not ready by the weekend, I'd start MacIntyre in Nashville.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:22 AM
gallagt01

Absolutely, and I'm confident that he will.

He looked okay in mop up duty against the Jackets. Nothing great, but good enough to warrant giving Jhonas a rest and getting a look himself.

That said, Miller needs to hurry back (at full health, of course. concussions are nothing to mess with).

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

I don't see why not, I mean Enroth isn't exactly lighting the world on fire right now. Give MacIntyre a start, Enroth could probably use the rest.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:52 AM
HiddenInLight

Id first ask how far away miller is from returning. Base your answer on that.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Thorton02

Unless we go through a grueling stretch of games, I don't see any reason why Enroth can't do it himself. To be honest, Enroth hasn't played any worse than Miller even when he let in 5 goals against Cbus.

Thorton02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Unfortunately, yes.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:18 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Yes. Enroth has never had a full-time starting workload in North America and hasn't looked great of late.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:24 AM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
Might be a decent idea. Against the Isles Tuesday?

Then we have the Wings and the Preds BTB. Preds might be another decent candidate.

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Thorton02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Unfortunately, yes.
Lol, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. I'll take Miller to ride as soon as he comes back. I just cut Enroth a ton of slack because he's a backup and he's not Lalime.

Can you guys imagine how screwed we'd be if Lalime was still Miller's backup?

Thorton02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:33 AM
HiddenInLight

We can still sign Lalime as a backup for enroth.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:52 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Miller and Lalime

Enroth and MacIntyre

While Lalime was here did he get a normal amount of starts? No.... Why? because he wasn't very good compared to Miller

Shouldn't Ruff apply the same exact method now?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:54 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Miller and Lalime

Enroth and MacIntyre

While Lalime was here did he get a normal amount of starts? No.... Why? because he wasn't very good compared to Miller

Shouldn't Ruff apply the same exact method now?
Different situations, I'd say. While Miller couldn't handle the load given to him (his play was inconsistent and he appeared to wear out late in the year), he's more capable than Jhonas of doing so, IMO.

Jhonas already looks a bit tired in there.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

Yes. Enroth has looked tired lately. Give the kid a rest. Mac has actually looked solid when he's had to play in games. Play him on Tuesday versus the Isles, tell the team to be a defensive rock for him, and we'll win. The Islanders are awful right now.

Timbo Slice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Boose30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Yes. Enroth has looked tired lately. Give the kid a rest. Mac has actually looked solid when he's had to play in games. Play him on Tuesday versus the Isles, tell the team to be a defensive rock for him, and we'll win. The Islanders are awful right now.
agreed, he should do fine vs them, and if not then at least we know where he stands and enroth at least gets a rest

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Didn't you hear? He's requesting a trade. Jim Matheson is reporting that he's hearing he wouldn't mind a trade. Thus, you can take it to the bank that he wants out.

Sure, why not? He was excellent in the AHL last season, and had seemingly turned a corner with two fantastic starts in Rochester just prior to his callup. Also, more importantly, they need to keep Enroth fresh. Jhonas has given up three or more goals in four of his last six starts, and has posted an .897 SV% since Miller went down. It's not as if he's playing lights out right now, and perhaps he needs a rest.

I'd start Enroth on Tuesday against a struggling Islanders team, and I'd likely give him the start against Detroit, as well. If Miller's not ready by the weekend, I'd start MacIntyre in Nashville.
For the record. You have used that stat to indicate Enroth's ability as a starter (carrying the load). In that regard the Boston game is not a relevant statistic (he came in relief of Miller, not as a starter)

As a STARTER since Miller went down...
.906 s%

Just for accuracies sake, you might want to use that statistic from now on, instead of the clearly biased .897 you've been tossing around.

If you want to use the Boston game, i suggest you in turn include the game from the day before. In that case it would be:
.909 s%

So try and be a little less biased with your statistics

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:54 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
For the record. You have used that stat to indicate Enroth's ability as a starter (carrying the load). In that regard the Boston game is not a relevant statistic (he came in relief of Miller, not as a starter)

As a STARTER since Miller went down...
.906 s%

Just for accuracies sake, you might want to use that statistic from now on, instead of the clearly biased .897 you've been tossing around.

If you want to use the Boston game, i suggest you in turn include the game from the day before. In that case it would be:
.909 s%

So try and be a little less biased with your statistics
Oxymoron. You know, the whole "lies, damned lies, and statistics" thing...

But I think we still have to acknowledge, .906 (or .909) is still rather subpar. The question is, with rest can he bring it up to .912-.915? Or is it not an issue of fatigue, physical or mental (in which case giving DMac a start doesn't help).

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:43 PM
CrankyJay

vCash: 50
I'd start dMac if Enroth asked for it and was tired, but as of now this is great experience for Jonas and a litmus test to see if he can eventually take Miller's place.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:38 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

No, I don't think he should. I'll leave it at that.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:58 PM
joshjull

Looks like Miller isn't too far away from returning so I would ride Enroth until he does return.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:58 AM
omglolnub

Ruff historically doesn't start goalies that haven't earned his brand of trust. Enroth will start every game whether he likes it or not until Miller returns. If Enroth is tired, Lindy will put Mac in goal for 3rd periods for mop up duty if the game has basically been decided one way or another already. Also, Enroth will get his rest when Miller returns, even if they split starts 50/50.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:50 AM
punkr0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
If Enroth is tired, Lindy will put Mac in goal for 3rd periods for mop up duty if the game has basically been decided one way or another already. Also, Enroth will get his rest when Miller returns, even if they split starts 50/50.
I don't think I've ever seen Lindy put a goalie in for mop up duty. The only time he ever pulls a goalie mid game is to shake up the team after a bad start.

And it won't be a 50/50 split when Miller comes back. Miller got his rest, Enroth is 2/3 of the way to his 20 starts; it's going to be all Miller from here on out.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

I hope he'll get a start, he deserves one. I mean, a hockey franchise is not a welfare organization, but for me, Enroth hasn't showed enough to start him every game. I think some competition wouldn't harm their game but it would definitely motivate both of them.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote