HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Trade Rumors Complicated by Cap Implications

Old
11-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Doyle

vCash: 500
Flyers Trade Rumors Complicated by Cap Implications

With the recent wave of injuries experienced by the Philadelphia Flyers, the rumors have begun that something will soon be on the horizon via the trade market.

In pre-salary cap days, there would be no issue whatsoever in going out and making a deal to get some much-needed help on the club’s ailing blueline. Ed Snider always gave the go-ahead with a pre-approval – along with a blank check - for whatever his general managers believed would improve the team’s chances of succeeding.

But this is a much different climate and while Snider still has given his blessing to Paul Holmgren to do whatever is necessary to improve the Flyers, a trade at this point in time would be a knee-jerk reaction.

Read More: http://nhlhotstove.com/flyers-trade-...-implications/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Krishna

Its the Flyers. Why is this news?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:24 PM
ORYX

I don't see it as Knee-jerk at all. I see it as acquiring depth on the blueline when your top two d-men are older, thus more susceptible to injury (especially Pronger).]

Adding a Hannan type would help the team through this injury string, as well as add depth for a deep run, or alternatively, provide a replacement if the team decided to shop and trade someone like Carle.

Depth would look like:

Pronger - Timonen
Coburn - Carle
Meszaros - Addition
Lilja - Gus
Walker - Bart - (Will be waiver exempt in the playoffs IIRC)
Bourdon - Marshall

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Kaktus*

As long as we do not trade giroux I am fine with it.
Even if Giroux refused dry island.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Prongo
Beer

The Flyers writers are all saying that we are not interested in Ryan. They all also said Richards had no chance of being traded too this offseason didn't they? I want Bobby Mac to comment on this

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:51 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
We have a few million free'd up after LTIRing Pronger and Lilja. Schenn and Marshall ate up very little of it.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:52 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
The Flyers writers are all saying that we are not interested in Ryan. They all also said Richards had no chance of being traded too this offseason didn't they? I want Bobby Mac to comment on this
I asked D_Leed last night if there was interest, he said there absolutely is interest, especially since we'll be in Anaheim in a couple days. Whether or not we make an offer is another story.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:52 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Scott Hannan is playing almost 20 minutes a night in Calgary. He's a top four guy there and would be a top four guy here. I think if the Flyers make a move for Hannan, someone else is getting moved out later (Carle or Meszaros).

I've always liked Hannan and he's been one of the better defensive defensemen in the league. He was completely misused in Colorado and started to rebound a bit in Washington last year. Yeah, I'd have no problems if Holmgren could acquire a guy like Hannan.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

This just in from the Journal of Science

"Common cold complicated by no known cure"

Priceless....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I asked D_Leed last night if there was interest, he said there absolutely is interest, especially since we'll be in Anaheim in a couple days. Whether or not we make an offer is another story.
Yea I also saw that. I should have said everyone besides him haha. I am in the same boat you are, if Ryan is available you try to get him. Makes your team better now and in the future.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:29 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Quote:
Yea I also saw that. I should have said everyone besides him haha. I am in the same boat you are, if Ryan is available you try to get him. Makes your team better now and in the future.
And isn't Ryan from the area also? If he is avialble I agree you try to get him, but D is the biggest concern on the Flyers at the moment

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
And isn't Ryan from the area also? If he is avialble I agree you try to get him, but D is the biggest concern on the Flyers at the moment
He is from Cherry Hill N.J. He was a huge Flyers fan growing up and knows Bobby Clarke very well. Not like the Ducks give a damn about that or anything haha, but we should try to get a hometown boy on the team.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

Quote:
He is from Cherry Hill N.J. He was a huge Flyers fan growing up and knows Bobby Clarke very well. Not like the Ducks give a damn about that or anything haha, but we should try to get a hometown boy on the team.
Him and JVR could hang out and play during the off season too!

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
With the recent wave of injuries experienced by the Philadelphia Flyers, the rumors have begun that something will soon be on the horizon via the trade market.

In pre-salary cap days, there would be no issue whatsoever in going out and making a deal to get some much-needed help on the club’s ailing blueline. Ed Snider always gave the go-ahead with a pre-approval – along with a blank check - for whatever his general managers believed would improve the team’s chances of succeeding.

But this is a much different climate and while Snider still has given his blessing to Paul Holmgren to do whatever is necessary to improve the Flyers, a trade at this point in time would be a knee-jerk reaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
This just in from the Journal of Science

"Common cold complicated by no known cure"

Priceless....
There's a salary cap now?

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
This D_Leed? The guy throwing away picks faster than Homer and who thinks Nodl had a second-line spot for more than 15 minutes (I thinking some guy named Jagr will get a top-6 spot ahead of a kid).

D_LEEDDustin Leed
Either way, Flyers down defensemen and the group as a whole could be playing better. #Flyers have picks to move for D depth.

D_LEEDDustin Leed
#Flyers have a couple days to make trade. Schenn will play Nodl's second line spot on Fri, most likely.

There's interest from 29 other teams right now. The only GMs not giving this thought are the unemployed ones.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I really want Hannan on the team. If we could get him for a 3rd or less we should jump on it. We really should of gone after him in the offseason.

Aside from that, I would love to see us make a deal for a young defenseman in the league.

Blum, OEL, Bogosian ect.

I really think that we have the parts necessary to get it done.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:46 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
This D_Leed? The guy throwing away picks faster than Homer and who thinks Nodl had a second-line spot for more than 15 minutes (I thinking some guy named Jagr will get a top-6 spot ahead of a kid).

D_LEEDDustin Leed
Either way, Flyers down defensemen and the group as a whole could be playing better. #Flyers have picks to move for D depth.

D_LEEDDustin Leed
#Flyers have a couple days to make trade. Schenn will play Nodl's second line spot on Fri, most likely.

There's interest from 29 other teams right now. The only GMs not giving this thought are the unemployed ones.
Not sure what you're trying to say here. Did Nodl have a 2nd line spot? Probably at some point on saturday. Throwing away more picks than Homer? He said we have picks to move for a depth defenseman...which we do. And a depth defenseman doesn't mean we move a 1st or 2nd rounder. And I know that if Ryan's name is out there, all teams will have interest. Obvious declaration is obvious.

Old
11-29-2011, 03:55 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Voracek+Schenn+Walker for Byfuglien

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
No! Do not want

Old
11-30-2011, 09:56 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Paul Holmgren confirmed my piece & told @DNFlyers that he is working the phones. Said "it seems like everybody is looking for defensemen."
-D_Leed

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I really want Hannan on the team. If we could get him for a 3rd or less we should jump on it. We really should of gone after him in the offseason.

Aside from that, I would love to see us make a deal for a young defenseman in the league.

Blum, OEL, Bogosian ect.

I really think that we have the parts necessary to get it done.
The time to get Bogosian was this offseason, but the sale of the team complicated things. Had the thrashers stayed in Atlanta I believe Bogosian would have been traded. But he has played really well this year and is starting to show some of that promise that many believe he had. No way they trade him now.

Blum won't get traded because he is insurance for suter and weber if they leave.

OEL is having a great year and is producing, don't see him going either.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:41 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Well...looks like Pronger is looking more and more like an invalid...cool

Quote:
Sources are telling Leed that Chris Pronger’s knee surgery could keep him out longer than the expected 4 weeks. The Flyers are concerned about Pronger’s injuries, and GM Paul Holmgren has been working the phones for a defenseman. Sources have confirmed that the Flyers have contacted the Flames about Mark Giordano and Scott Hannan. Putting Andreas Nodl on waivers put the Flyers at 49 contracts. The Hurricanes are willing to move a defenseman or two for a top 9 forward. The Flyers are not interested in Tomas Kaberle. They could offer draft picks for Tim Gleason ($2.9 million) or Bryan Allen ($2.75 million). Philly has the Kings 2nd round pick, either a 2012 or 2013 2nd round pick from the Panthers, and a 2013 3rd round pick from the Wild, to go along with their picks that they could offer up. Lightning Bruno Gervais is another potential target. The Canucks have been shopping Keith Ballard, but Leed doesn’t see the Flyers interested in his $4.2 million salary. The Flyers don’t have any interest in moving Matt Carle or Sergei Bobrovsky at the moment. For now they will go with Kevin Marshall and Marc-Andre Bourdon, but they’ll likely need another steady defenseman at some point.

http://thehockeyguys.net/flyers-read...gger-on-trade/

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:47 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
If you think Carle is bad defensively, wait until you watch Byfuglien

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:50 AM
CdnFlyersFan

Franson would be a good ST solution. Why TO took this long to realize how good he is, is surprising.

CdnFlyersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Flyerfan4life

no interst in moving Carle..

oh GOD !!!..

/ugh

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote