HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Finley signs multi-year deal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2011, 09:23 PM
  #76
rabi
Registered User
 
rabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,632
vCash: 500
^ It's so obvious...

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:28 PM
  #77
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
There is a trade or 2 coming I should think. Maybe just prior to or shortly after the holiday season. I can't see the Sabres hanging on to all of these defensive assets.
Source: Jim Matheson

Because he's always right.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:36 PM
  #78
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons
 
Sean McG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Catharines, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Never seen him play, but I'm very intrigued by his size and former first-round status alone, and the reviews he's getting here make it even better. Seems like at the very worst he'll be a big ass dude who fights.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:42 PM
  #79
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,383
vCash: 500
3 year deal? awesome!

now trade Gragnani please!

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:45 PM
  #80
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
There is a trade or 2 coming I should think. Maybe just prior to or shortly after the holiday season. I can't see the Sabres hanging on to all of these defensive assets.
...or they just realized that the guy has been lights out in Rochester and wanted to keep him in the organization instead of letting another team pick him up.

The Sabres don't have to do anything, but they may be more willing to part with a D-prospect at the deadline or in the offseason. As far as the product on the ice is concerned, there is no difference between yesterday and today, so no need to make a move.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:07 PM
  #81
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,704
vCash: 500
Whats his waiver status?

Does he have to clear on the way up with this deal?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:17 PM
  #82
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,117
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
...or they just realized that the guy has been lights out in Rochester and wanted to keep him in the organization instead of letting another team pick him up.

The Sabres don't have to do anything, but they may be more willing to part with a D-prospect at the deadline or in the offseason. As far as the product on the ice is concerned, there is no difference between yesterday and today, so no need to make a move.
Exactly. I can't believe people think Weber should be worried just because they give Finley a contract. Mike played on a top-pairing in the AHL, too. Let's be happy that they brought in another asset, and not be so quick to find who we should kick out of town at the first chance.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:20 PM
  #83
SoFFacet
Registered User
 
SoFFacet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Whats his waiver status?

Does he have to clear on the way up with this deal?
Is that even possible?

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:27 PM
  #84
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Whats his waiver status?

Does he have to clear on the way up with this deal?
He signed his first NHL deal on 4/2/09 and his singing age was calculated as 22, making him exempt for three seasons or 70 NHL games.
He has played two seasons and zero NHL games, so he has one year or 70 NHL games left until he is subject to waivers.

As for re-entry, I doubt that he's making more than $105,000 at the AHL level since it's a two-way, so it's likely that he's not subject to re-entry waivers.
We don't have the numbers yet, but I'd say ~$60,000 is likely.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:29 PM
  #85
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
He signed his first NHL deal on 4/2/09 and his singing age was calculated as 22, making him exempt for three seasons or 70 NHL games.
He has played two seasons and zero NHL games, so he has one year or 70 NHL games left until he is subject to waivers.

As for re-entry, I doubt that he's making more than $105,000 at the AHL level since it's a two-way, so it's likely that he's not subject to re-entry waivers.
We don't have the numbers yet, but I'd say ~$60,000 is likely.
Thanks for the info. As always you're a great resource for these things.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:02 PM
  #86
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,333
vCash: 500
Just a solid depth signing. They rewarded his strong play with a nice contract. At best, he's a bottom pairing defenseman in the NHL for us at some point, adding an element constantly missing from our blueline. At worst, he's cheap depth on the farm.

Good for him.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:26 AM
  #87
Cirris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Crackport
Country: United States
Posts: 2,777
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Just a solid depth signing. They rewarded his strong play with a nice contract. At best, he's a bottom pairing defenseman in the NHL for us at some point, adding an element constantly missing from our blueline. At worst, he's cheap depth on the farm.

Good for him.
This, I think it's part of the Pegula effect. That in order to win championships you need serviceable depth players so when Injuries occur you have have the horses to fill-in for a few games.

This is a valuable lesson Sabres fans should know all to well during the Sabres/Carolina Series in 2006.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:52 AM
  #88
Mellifleur
Registered User
 
Mellifleur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Caps site had him listed as a left wing. Is that a mistake or did he play some forward at one point?
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/joe_finley

This is an older site report on him, and yes the Caps tinkered with him at wing.

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:40 AM
  #89
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,879
vCash: 500
Never seen him play. /shrug

But his stats say he's huge.

How's he move, quick enough to be more than a depth guy?

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:44 AM
  #90
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
CapGeek has the details here.
His AHL salary never exceeds $105,000, so he does not have to clear re-entry waivers at any point during this contract.

Their waiver calculator also confirms the one year or 70 game waiver exemption, in case someone didn't trust my calculations.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:49 AM
  #91
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,587
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Never seen him play. /shrug

But his stats say he's huge.

How's he move, quick enough to be more than a depth guy?
Ruff's pre-season comments stick with me here. Lindy talked about what a great skater he was. Given how that's been pretty much everyone's commentary, both fan and professional, it seems he's not the usual lumbering 6/7 project.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:14 AM
  #92
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Ruff's pre-season comments stick with me here. Lindy talked about what a great skater he was. Given how that's been pretty much everyone's commentary, both fan and professional, it seems he's not the usual lumbering 6/7 project.
Seems like the only thing that's prevented him from getting a shot before this year are injuries. As opposed to lacking the necessary skill.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:16 AM
  #93
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,587
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Seems like the only thing that's prevented him from getting a shot before this year are injuries. As opposed to lacking the necessary skill.
Yep. A crushed artery? That's serious fluke stuff there. He's getting reps and it's funny that the injuries to Persson and Schiestel are probably why he got this contract.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:22 AM
  #94
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Yep. A crushed artery? That's serious fluke stuff there. He's getting reps and it's funny that the injuries to Persson and Schiestel are probably why he got this contract.
Its bitterly ironic I would think For Schiestel. A guy who likely missed a shot at getting called up right now due to injuries. Then on top of that he might get jumped by Finley on the depth chart. That's two bad breaks from his injury.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:39 AM
  #95
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,587
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its bitterly ironic I would think For Schiestel. A guy who likely missed a shot at getting called up right now due to injuries. Then on top of that he might get jumped by Finley on the depth chart. That's two bad breaks from his injury.
Similarly, Crawford has to be wondering what he's going to have to do to get a shot. He had a fine rookie year last year. Or Persson, who's had a bum ankle since the start of the season. Or even Biega. Granted, competition is a good thing. They have it in spades right now.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:27 PM
  #96
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,712
vCash: 500
http://www.letsgoamerks.com/2011/11/...ttack-mascots/

Nice write up on Finley.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:46 PM
  #97
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres
 
ImpressedDAHagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
whats finley's physicality on the brad brown scale?

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:49 PM
  #98
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
whats finley's physicality on the brad brown scale?
There's a Brad Brown scale for Physicality too?

I thought Brad Browns only measured speed/skating ability

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:53 PM
  #99
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!
 
Fly Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
He slashed Bucky the Badger!? Ok, I'm officially a fan.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:53 PM
  #100
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
There's a Brad Brown scale for Physicality too?

I thought Brad Browns only measured speed/skating ability
In the same spirit that the Brad Brown scale for speed was created. Maybe we could have a Gragnani scale of physicality.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.